Non-motoring > How does the search facility work? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 11

How does the search facility work? - Dog
I want to 'call up' the thread about cold calls but haven't a clue how it worx.
 How does the search facility work? - Focusless
Not very well - you can't search for the term 'cold calls', only posts containing 'cold' and/or 'calls' and there are likely to be quite a few of those (but you might be lucky). Best bet is if you can think of an unlikely word used in the discussion and search for that.

Better - someone posted how to use Google to do the search for you; will try to find that, unless someone else can remind us.
Thanks Focus, I'll give e'e a go.
Try this in Google:
site:www.car4play.com "cold calls"
Yep!

= www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10603
Actually I might be doing the forum search an injustice - according to the instructions it will do phrase searches, and other stuff.

AND is the default. That is, a search for dog and cat returns all messages that contain those words anywhere.

QUOTES (") allow searches for phrases. That is, a search for "dog cat" returns all messages that contain that exact phrase, with space.

MINUS (-) eliminates words. That is, a seach for dog and -cat returns all messages that contain dog but not cat. You can MINUS a phrase in QUOTES, like dog -"siamese cat"

The engine is not case-sensitive and searches the title, body, and author.
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 7 Aug 12 at 11:28
 How does the search facility work? - Crankcase
With my memory, I use the forum search a lot, to see if I've posted something before. I need it a lot, especially as with my memory, I need to see if I've posted something before.

It's a good search feature and works well. Much less complex than that on some other forums, and no nasty captcha things either.
 How does the search facility work? - Zero
It works * badly* I could get a gold medal in using search tools and putting together search arguments,, the poor excuse for a search tool on this site frequently fails to come up with the goods.

Edit, its commendably easy to use, just useless at its task. Proven by the number of times crankcase repeats himself............
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 7 Aug 12 at 11:32
 How does the search facility work? - Clk Sec
I can't say I've noticed. I say, I can't say I've noticed.
 How does the search facility work? - VxFan
>> Actually I might be doing the forum search an injustice - according to the instructions
>> it will do phrase searches, and other stuff.

Correct.

You're earlier statement "Not very well - you can't search for the term 'cold calls'" is incorrect.

If you want to search more than one word, providing you put the words inside inverted commas then it will search for those exact words. Providing of course whoever wrote the post spelt things correctly!

Never had a problem using the search function here. In the other place however I find it totally useless.
>> You're earlier statement "Not very well - you can't search for the term 'cold calls'"
>> is incorrect.

Has it been updated? I was sure I had tried it a while back and it didn't support that, hence my bold, albeit inaccurate, statement :)
 How does the search facility work? - VxFan
>> Has it been updated?

Not that I'm aware of.

I've just done a search for "cold calls" of less than 1 year and got 10 hits. 5 of those were in this thread. Will be 11 after I post this message.
Latest Forum Posts