Non-motoring > Worth changing for £40? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 19

Worth changing for £40? - Iffy
Home insurance renewal has landed - £170.

Cheapest on Gocompare is £130 with the dog.

Happy enough to use them, but is it worth the faff of changing for £40?

Suppose it probably is, but I wouldn't change for the sake of twenty quid, or even a little more.

Worth changing for £40? - Zero
Its called "your level of inertia" Mines about 20% up to 100 quid, but then rapidly falls at sums above that amount.

40 quid off a sum of 170? yeah thats well enough to shake off my cloak of inertia and get my ass in gear.
 Worth changing for £40? - Bromptonaut
Agree with Z (wow I said that!)

However, make sure cover and excess match in every important respect. Also, watch out for 'admin' charges.
 Worth changing for £40? - Dog
I'm with the dog, have been for years, house / contents / car, wife always chucks the renewal notices at me to 'go compare', but I stick with the dog anyway.

Mans beast friend see!
 Worth changing for £40? - Bigtee
£40.00 is worth the swap and they may adjust there prices if you tell them your leaving.
 Worth changing for £40? - Clk Sec
>> they may adjust there prices if you tell them your leaving.

I'd be surprised if they didn't, for the sake of £40. Easier for you, too.
 Worth changing for £40? - Mike Hannon
Can you include a dog on the house insurance then? We have to pay extra for the trees and the cat over here.
 Worth changing for £40? - Cliff Pope
£130 seems unbelievably cheap for house insurance. Or is this the caravan?
 Worth changing for £40? - Manatee
My renewal has just come in at £454 net of the £50 cashback from Halifax. Saga want £284. So much for loyalty!

Unfortunately we are in a flood risk area - I got into a lengthy discussion with Hiscox a few years ago over whether puddles in the garden constituted flooding, and pulled out before they had chance to refuse me insurance which could have been nasty.
...and pulled out before they had chance to refuse me insurance which could have been nasty...

Very wise, answering 'yes' to the have you ever been refused insurance question is not something you want to be doing.

In answer to Cliff (above) the quote is for Iffy Towers.

There are only a couple of providers for static caravan insurance, so you have to pay what they ask.

The premium's not too sore because even a total loss claim on my now five-year-old van wouldn't be a lot more than £20K.

Worth changing for £40? - R.P.
Check your level of cover iffy, sounds too cheap.
...Check your level of cover iffy, sounds too cheap...

Tesco quoted £132, and I think there was another I'd not heard of under £140.

I will have another look, but on first scan the lower quote appeared to offer much the same cover as my existing provider.

There's nothing of particular value in Iffy Towers, so it's a basic buildings and contents policy.

Worth changing for £40? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> There's nothing of particular value in Iffy Towers, so it's a basic buildings and contents
>> policy.

I'd somehow got the impression that Iffy Towers was a magnificent gentleman's residence with manicured grounds sweeping down to the Thames at Mapledurham. If in fact it's a bedsit in a decaying 1970s tower block in Salford that might explain the difference.

Worth changing for £40? - No FM2R
>>My renewal has just come in at £454 net of the £50 cashback from Halifax. Saga want £284. So much for loyalty!

Unfortunately loyalty has no place.

Let us say that they have 200 customers The premium is £60 each. Let us assume that 10% of teh customers are vulnerable to change. Other Company is offering £50 premiums.

Company does nothing, they lose 20*£60 = £1200
Company discounts their own rates to company B and they lose 200 * £10 = £2000

So they would lose more money by being competitive.

If they now only offer the £50 to new people then they will also gain some back.

You should ask for alternative quotes at every renewal for every policy. As far as the premium goes do not compare discounts. compare only what you have to pay now and what you would have to pay in the event of a claim (excess and stuff). Go with the financially better offer, with some allowance for convenience and service and, as Zero says, inertia.

If everybody did this then economically the insurance companies, and everybody else, would be forced to change from this practice.
 Worth changing for £40? - CGNorwich
>> £130 seems unbelievably cheap for house insurance. Or is this the caravan?
>>

Does it? I'm paying £116.66 for £250,000 house and £20,000 contents and that wan't the cheapest quote
 Worth changing for £40? - Falkirk Bairn
Car Ins renewed with E-sure @ £202..............Privilege were £154 but RBS are shifting calls to Indian call centres..............hence my £48 I consider well spent.

E-sure tried India around 2003/4............terrible but they came back to UK after 000's complaints.
 Worth changing for £40? - R.P.
E-Bike (same a E Sure I believe) were very good when the chips were down last September when my friend crashed in France. Nice people, excellent service and ultimately a quibble free claim. Certainly made a difference having an UK call centre.
 Worth changing for £40? - Stuartli
>> £130 seems unbelievably cheap for house insurance. Or is this the caravan?>>

I went with Privilege this year:

www.privilege.com/home-insurance/benefits/platinum.htm

Cost of £199 for Platignum includes home and contents, travel insurance (I paid £117 for worldwide cover alone a few months ago, but age against me in this instance) and mobile phone cover.
 Worth changing for £40? - Roger.
I would change any service provider for a tenner.
I check all our renewals each time and if I find a cheaper deal I will haggle with my current provider. If I get within a tenner, I stay; if not I go.
Some internet commerce has taken place.

I didn't want to cancel the existing policy first in case there was a snag with the new one.

So I bought the new one and then told the existing provider I won't be renewing, which should ensure continuous cover.

Existing provider then emailed an offer to 'recalculate' the premium, reminding me at the same time I have 14 days to cancel a new policy if I've already bought one, which I have.

I'm not messing around like that, so new provider it is.

Latest Forum Posts