Non-motoring > Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 15

Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Westpig
My first thought is 'silly cow, why not think this through properly before coming an MP'. It wouldn't have been so bad if she'd waited for the general election.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19146805
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Mike Hannon
A dabbler.
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - madf
She claimed taking drugs had given her mental problems: it shows.
Last edited by: madf on Mon 6 Aug 12 at 16:03
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Armel Coussine
>> She claimed taking drugs had given her mental problems: it shows.

Did she? Does it? MPs and ministers who have admitted a bit of recreational dope and toot are more or less forced to say things like that. To adopt the correct, shameless attitude is thought to be sending the 'wrong signals' to the ignorant and moronic electorate, and we can't have that can we? The cousins wouldn't like it.

Personally I would be surprised if a majority of the present house hadn't done a bit of recreational cannabis and/or cocaine in their time. But it's the sort of thing a career politician would try to keep under his or her hat, because of the idiot fuss made about drugs.

La Mensch seems to me a very bright woman but not a born politico. Too much narcissism perhaps - a writer's vice - and not enough toughness, discipline, or whatever it is that enables the proper ones to do everything necessary and still not look like boring stage villains. They are a rare and peculiar breed. I don't know how they do it.
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Lygonos
Indeed AC.

Likely to be replaced by some gumby who has never made their way in life other than through a party political indoctrination system.
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Bromptonaut
Not my choice politically but she's impressed as a good parliamentarian and a pragmatic and thoughtful speaker. Don't know what her personal circs were at time of her selection or what's changed since. She seems to have tried to make it work and finally decided it's not going to happen. Better to give up now then carry on half heartedly until 2015.

While 'high profile' people who've made careers are better candidates than those who hasve followed the PPE - SPAD - Party List route neither are a substitute for a good local man or woman.

A November by-election in a 2 way Con/LAb marginal should be a sitter even for Mili junior. Is Phil Hope still the Labour PPC?
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Dutchie
She is moving to New York.Maybe a job with Murdochs newspapers or Fox television.
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Westpig
>> but she's impressed as a good parliamentarian and a pragmatic and
>> thoughtful speaker.

Blimey, if the Left like her, maybe it's just as well she's going...;-)
>> Blimey, if the Left like her, maybe it's just as well she's going...;-)

OI! Bit less of the Left with a capital L if you don't mind. Some of us have a perfectly balanced, almost trimming political discourse that can carry us through most situations thank you very much squire....

As for liking Ms Mensch, who knows whether they would or not if they knew her? All I did was note her qualities as they seemed to me. But I don't study backbench tory politics or winsome commons babes, so everything I say is just hot air.

Of course I am not alone in this.
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Focusless
>> But I don't study backbench tory politics or winsome commons babes

She's only #73
www.sexymp.co.uk/index.php?gender=F
>> She's only #73

No, that's me. She's more like 37.

Look, I never said I fancied winsome commons babes even though I might in some cases. But even if you don't fancy them, that's still what they are.
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Focusless
Actually I'm surprised she's as low as that - no accounting for taste :)

EDIT: and now #74. I reckon there's some tactical voting going on...
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 6 Aug 12 at 21:40
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Zero
compared to most of the tattooed tarts that come out of corby she is positively Miss World material.
 Louise Mensch (Bagshaw) to quit as an MP - Cliff Pope
>> >> She's only #73
>>
>> No, that's me. She's more like 37.
>>

And Brian Binley, who represents the nearby constituency of Northampton South, said aspiring MPs needed to understand the "stresses and strains" that came with the job and warned against a "cult of youth" when it came to choosing parliamentary candidates.

How old do you think someone might be if he warns against a "cult of youth"?

Correct - 70
Binley is at least a local man who's lived in the constituency for 20+ years. I'm not in his constituency now but was in the past when it was held by Michael Morris. We're now in Daventry following boundary changes.

Like Mrs M he's not my cup of tea politically. I have however met him via his interest in Northampton's rail links. Very effective at chairing meetings and was able to leverage meetings with transport minister. He also forged a good working relationship with the outgoing North MP, labour's Sally Keeble, who previously carried the lantern for rail service.

From the pov of getting local stuff done I've a deal of respect for him.

Next set of boundary changes put us in South Northamptonshire. Nothing I've seen or heard about it's member, Andrea Leadsom, gives me any reason to extend same respect to her.
A bit of Googling shows her circs have changed significantly since selection.

She separated from her then husband and the father of her kids in 2009. Married Mr Mensch in 2011.
Latest Forum Posts