Non-motoring > Donner und blitzen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 17

Donner und blitzen - Iffy
Fierce hailstorm over the tin box in the last hour.

Hailstones the size of peas rattled so loudly on the roof I couldn't hear the telly.

No that it matters now, because the power has gone off.

Any extreme weather elsewhere?

Donner und blitzen - R.P.
Very heavy showers here, touch of thunder. Mrs RP took the dogs out - got soaked a few miles down the road, nawt here......

Donner und blitzen - Meldrew
Black clouds and heavy rain during the day plus 2 brief power cuts (I will NOT call them outages) in the afternoon - East Midlands. I am my village flood warden so I have to keep an eye for rising water!
 Donner und blitzen - Bromptonaut
Two or three very heavy showers and several claps of thunder. NO hail today but had it earlier in week.

My recent incapacity has made me get the old Lowe HF 250 Comms Receiver up and running. Need to remember to disconnect the 40m random wire during electrostatic storms.
 Donner und blitzen - devonite
>>Any extreme weather elsewhere? - We had Sunshine ALL day!
 Donner und blitzen - zookeeper
>> Black clouds and heavy rain during the day plus 2 brief power cuts (I will
>> NOT call them outages) in the afternoon - East Midlands. I am my village flood
>> warden so I have to keep an eye for rising water!
>>

which bit of the soar do you watch melders?
 Donner und blitzen - ....
Wir hatten schönes Wetter hier in deutschland heute.

If you mean lightning you might want to change the b to B on Blitzen otherwise it reads thunder and flash.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 21:54
Still no power, so I expect that's it for the night.

Could be worse, I've just had a scope around the camping site where some of the tents - pitched on grass - are in standing water.

Now that is miserable.
 Donner und blitzen - Zero
There, camping, keep telling you its painful.
 Donner und blitzen - R.P.
:-D !
 Donner und blitzen - No FM2R
>> There, camping, keep telling you its painful.

Never did John Inman any harm.
>> Still no power, so I expect that's it for the night.
>>
>> Could be worse, I've just had a scope around the camping site where some of
>> the tents - pitched on grass - are in standing water.
>>
>> Now that is miserable.
>>

Been there etc. Propping the groundsheet up on cups to send water underneath; it went but then came through. Mercifully it was only the living area that flooded. Any water under the Rigidome's bed pods stayed there
Has Iffy got his power back on?

More rumbles and dark clouds in Northants just now. Listening in on ATC there are storm cells all over the SE - a lot of weather avoiding course changes.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 5 Aug 12 at 13:42
 Donner und blitzen - Zero
www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

...Has Iffy got his power back on?...

Restored about 11am.

All systems working correctly and I've completed a largely involuntary mid-season defrost of the fridge freezer.

More stormy weather this afternoon, although not as bad as last night.

Seems there has been a lot of weather about:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19137551
 Donner und blitzen - Dutchie
Weather has been and still is fine here.Some overcast, maybe some rain later.Barometer pressure dropping.
 Donner und blitzen - Dave_
This is a good site for UK lightning tracking: www.nowcast.co.uk/lightning/index.htm

Peak rate today was 26 strikes/min.

We had a reasonable noisy shower here about 4.30pm today. I drove through half a dozen cloudbursts yesterday on the way back from our Scottish break, including one on the A50 that went from fast-wipers to dry road in the space of one wiper sweep - it was possible to watch the wall of rain receding in the mirrors.
 Donner und blitzen - percy
5 weeks and 1 day ago in France, south east of Dole we were staying at a gite when massive hailstones the size of golf balls struck the area.
The gite poolcover was very badly perforated, the gite owner later told us that the replacement cost would be ~€4000. He also told us he was a passenger in a car (Audi) in the storm and the windscreen was smashed, true, we saw the photo!
In the village there were several houses with smashed Velux windows and smashed roof tiles. We also saw cars with pock marked roofs from the hail, luckily ours were in a barn.
Last time I saw hail like this was in the Portsmouth area ~25 years ago, size ~1 inch diameter, it made holes in the plastic roof of a lean to at our holiday let. I'm told that in Tibet the hailstone size can reach cricket ball diameters, hard hat required for sure!
Latest Forum Posts