Non-motoring > I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8.   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 103

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 9 *****

Latest developments.

Please start a new "conversation" by by clicking on on the "reply" button at the bottom of this post.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 6 Aug 12 at 00:57

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - Armel Coussine
A letter or two in the comic today complaining about the 'relentlessly jingoistic' BBC coverage.

I wouldn't go that far, quite, but it does seem to me that the British used to cover these things in a less strident way, with a lot less anticipation - often misplaced - of upcoming probable British wins.

All this hype can only encourage vainglory in 'champions' already cock-a-hoop with their chunks of metal and half mad from savage training, deprivation of normal life and perhaps a diet of dubious, if usually undetectable, performance-enhancing products. It's amazing how sportsmanlike some of them still manage to be in victory or defeat under this barrage of US-style go-go-go kill-the-carphounds propaganda.

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - corax
What has amazed me about these Olympics is the sheer noise of the crowd. 80000 people in the stadium today, the roar was quite scary. Likewise the rowing. Such a great climax as they come into the last section. It must be great for the athletes.

Actually rowing crews have complained that they can't hear the cox. And that can make a difference.

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Actually rowing crews have complained that they can't hear the cox. And that can make
>> a difference.
>>
one word: vuvuzela.

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - Zero
>> >> Actually rowing crews have complained that they can't hear the cox. And that can
>> make
>> >> a difference.
>> >>
>> one word: vuvuzela.
>>
Three words: They are Banned.

The stands are filled with people who want to be there, this is not China, there is no three line whip to turn up, if they want to make a noise, then damn well let them. Its the enthusiasm of the public thats making these games

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - No FM2R
Damned right.

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - No FM2R
The BBC is British. The Olympics are in Britain. I don't know whether or not the BBC is being jingoistic, but why shouldn't it be? About time they showed some interest in something other than their own navel.

And who doesn't like it? Some other country? I doubt it, most of them are not ashamed of national pride.

Probably some complete ass who has nothing better to do with his time than whine.

The standard for the new UK citizen, if you don't want to do something, then for goodness sakes denigrate anyone who does, and whatever else, don't slip into a trap of tolerance.
Just caught the crowds coming in for the footie. Loads of Brits have come dressed as Mexican bandits - atmosphere is great!

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - R.P.
. Loads of Brits have come dressed as Mexican bandits

What Armani suits, shades and packing an Uzi with their HSBC credit cards ?

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - Meldrew
No - big Zapata moustaches. I thought they were the 118118 advert people! Dressed for a Mexican Wave perhaps?

Team Pursuit Gold - Robin O'Reliant
Gold medal and a world record in the cycling team pursuit. That is one of the toughest events on the track, not only for the power needed but the absolute precision required to ride in the line and change smoothly.

And for the "others" - Runfer D'Hills
Felt sorry for Fran Halsall (swimmer) last night. Wasn't to be. We have a vested interest as she's the daughter of one of my wife's closest friends.

She wasn't fast enough and that's how it's measured so, fair enough. But when you see the effort it takes to get to that level though it's easy to understand how heartbreaking it is to lose. That girl has trained her socks off pretty much every day for as long as she can remember. Her family have given up time and money beyond belief to help her get to where she is.

Success or failure at this level can be measured in 100ths of seconds. They're all champions in the end.

And for the "others" - Zero
She can party now. The games is as much about the being there, the atmosphere, the experience, as it is winning.

And for the "others" - Dutchie
She looks a lovely girl Humph.I hope she gets a medal tomorrow.The Dutch girl looks very strong also.She was lucky to survive meningitis.They are all winners Rebecca got the brons medal which is a fantastic achievement.

And for the "others" - corax
Well blow me down. I've just seen HJ's relatives at the shot putting arena.

And for the "others" - smokie
Just watched some ladies running, amazing stuff - the leaders were lapping others way before the end. And they are all world class. 'Er indoors said if it was her she'd give up, once she'd been lapped. I explained that that's why she' snot an Olympian (although there are other reasons too...LOL)

And for the "others" - Ted

Amazing spurt of acceleration by the delightful Vicky P in both her heat and the final to take the gold. She went like she had a rocket pack fitted. Left the Deutsche champ tot im der Wasser

Interested in her race with the ' Gurney ? ' bike. Rode something like this at the Harris stadium about 50 yrs ago. I forget why a group of us were there but I recall a big pre-war Triumph twin with rear hub suspension. Hung on it's tail was a roller which the following bike could come up against without accident.

I see a big boost for British cycling looming........as long as they keep off the roads I'm using.

Ted

And for the "others" - crocks
Here's a link to Derny bikes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derny

Maybe Boris can supply a fleet of them to lead the cyclists through the traffic in London? :-)

And for the "others" - Ted

DERNY........Thanks Crocky.
Nice looking little things. You'd think that an electric bike would do the job very well in these days of ' minimum pollution '.

Ted

And for the "others" - devonite
Looking at the picture of the Triumph Derny, how the heck did one ride those?!!

And for the "others" - Roger.
A bit of gloss was removed from the men's cycling gold, following the imported "plastic Briton" allowing that he had cheated (while not actually breaking the rules) by falling off deliberately at the start of the race, to negate a rubbish start by him. A professional foul, IMO.
I hope the team managers gave him a good shellacking. (Or maybe they praised him, cynic that I am.)

And for the "others" - Manatee
>>A bit of gloss was removed from the men's cycling gold, following the imported "plastic Briton" allowing that he had cheated...

What was that about?

tinyurl.com/c93dxrh

And for the "others" - Manatee
Thank you.

And for the "others" - R.P.
German born....? Why a "plastic Briton" then not read any of the detail, but couldn't he have been the offspring of someone in the Forces ?

British father, but dual nationality, I understand. Imported to UK two years ago and has had to learn English.

And for the "others" - Westpig
>> tinyurl.com/c93dxrh
>>

Which tells you it's an accepted practice in the sport then..otherwise there would have been an appeal by the French.

And for the "others" - R.P.
Can't see the problem myself....but there you go.

And for the "others" - Meldrew
Note the lady Kenyan running 3000 metres for Bahrain! Oh Yeah?

Boorish Behaviour in the Fencing - Meldrew
I have been flitting thru the channels and spent some time watching the men's sabre bouts. I used to fence a bit and it used to be a rather polite and formal sport. There is a wealth of sophisticated electronic scoring equipment (Electronic weapons, metallised jackets and helmets). Thus a hit can be recorded, and does not count if the opponent gets a hit within one second. To this is added video recording with instant replay and a human referee.

Despite this the fencers both wave their arms gamely at the ref whenever there is any sort of hit, rip their helmets off and rush around the piste gurning and punching the air like the worst of Andy Murray. Rather like sad footballers who both wave their arms at the ref whenever there is a hint of an "Incident" on or off the ball.

Boorish Behaviour in the Fencing - Focusless
>> There is a wealth of sophisticated electronic scoring equipment (Electronic weapons, metallised
>> jackets and helmets). Thus a hit can be recorded, and does not count if the
>> opponent gets a hit within one second.

Alternatively, just fit a switch in the handle and push to score :)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Onishchenko

Boorish Behaviour in the Fencing - Meldrew
Well done focus - you remember that too! About in my time!

Boorish Behaviour in the Fencing - Focusless
Well I remember the 'Biggest Olympic Moments' or somesuch TV programme from a couple of weeks ago :)

Competition. - Roger.
There was some serious competition for the beach volleyball lasses in the ladies triathlon cycling element,
Female pulchritude on display, as seem from behind the pedalling pretties, was "enlivening"!

Competition. - Roger.
BTW - I cannot ignore the Five Rings Circus - it's on all day for SWMBO and I am not allowed to sit at the table using my laptop, hearing aids out, with my back to her and the TV, for long periods without suffering earache!
She shouts at the competitors, too - just like the blooming Wimbledon stuff. :-(
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 12:56

Competition. - Meldrew
Definitions update Roger! Earache has become Mouth Music and SWMBO has morphed in to LHG = Long Haired General. I have the same problem as you when the totally unwatchable Deal or no Deal is on! What DO people find admirable about this programme? Social misfits opening a box with a random number it and then high fives, kisses and hugs and that's just the men!

Competition. - Roger.
My General is not long haired.
Regrettably and to her mortification, she has developed male pattern baldness and has to resort to a comb-over, back to front.

1948 Olympics - L'escargot
There's not been much mention of the 1948 Olympics. Surely there's someone on here with a good memory.

1948 Olympics - Zero
I am based at the only surviving 1948 venue. The pool is still in situ under the floor.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 13:33

1948 Olympics - bathtub tom
Wembley or Finchley?

1948 Olympics - Zero
The Empire Pool.

LONDON SCENES - Zero
There have been some superb shots of London in Olympics mode, like this

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19057400

I wish I had taken this tho

imgace.com/pic/2012/08/full-moon-under-olympic-rings-tower-bridge-london/
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 17:01

Athletic grace and beauty - Armel Coussine
These qualities are often mentioned in connection with athletics, but to tell the truth not all athletes are beautiful, or graceful come to that. Bodies can be sinewy, bloated, distorted by the discipline itself; faces are not always at their best when grimacing in savage triumph a la Murray. As always, one doesn't want to exaggerate. Plenty of handsome folk there all right.

But allow me just to remind people of the sublime spectacle of Ethiopia's Tirunesh Dibaba, a tall girl but very graceful, loping happily along with two Kenyan rivals and someone else to lap, some distance before the end of the women's 10,000 metres final, half a dozen of the other competitors including I think our own pair, trailing creditably - they're all in credit in my book just by being there - before, in the last lap, lengthening her stride a bit to effortlessly draw 100 yards ahead of the other contenders, only the slightest signs of effort slightly distorting the seraphic smile on her quite pretty face.

Desert men of my acquaintance refer playfully to pretty girls as 'gazelles'. You'd have to be a hell of a young warrior - Finn Mac Cool, someone like that - to capture a gazelle like Dibaba for your tent.

Athletic grace and beauty - corax
>> before, in the
>> last lap, lengthening her stride a bit to effortlessly draw 100 yards ahead of the
>> other contenders, only the slightest signs of effort slightly distorting the seraphic smile on her
>> quite pretty face.

It was incredible, that last lap. She annihilated the opposition.

I felt sorry for Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter in the lightweight double sculls. After stopping the race when Zacs seat broke, they had to start again and were just pipped at the post. They were slaughtered, it was a very emotional interview that got me and John Inverdale quite tearful.

tvnewsroom.co.uk/news/john-inverdale-in-tears-as-mark-hunter-and-zac-purchase-win-silver-medal-47595/

Athletic grace and beauty - Focusless
>> You'd have to be a hell of a young warrior - Finn Mac Cool, someone like that -
>> to capture a gazelle like Dibaba for your tent.

Definitely - I know as a quite good young software engineer - bit of a Matthew Smith* - I could only get to within 15 seconds of that time she did last night :)

* Manic Miner programmer

Let no one call me racist or Africa bore, although la Dibaba is something to behold.

There are quite a few graceful beauties in the games, one of whom in my view is our Jessica Ennis. You don't have to be snub nosed, wide-eyed and baby-faced to be drop dead gorgeous.

Athletic grace and beauty - Meldrew
Miss Ennis won the 800 and got the gold - what a star!!!!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 21:02

Athletic grace and beauty - Bromptonaut
>> Let no one call me racist or Africa bore, although la Dibaba is something to
>> behold.
>>

I'm in danger of getting in trouble here but for a Western hetero man there's something about those African races with high cheekbones. Dibana is one, the Guardian journalist Hannah Pool, adopted by Brtis from an Ethiopian refugee camp is another.

IIRC British troops sent to keep order in the Rhodesia/Zimbabwe transition were warned of failing for the charms of similarly endowed Shona lasses.

Athletic grace and beauty - Runfer D'Hills
The only trouble you're in is if Mrs 'Naut reads the above !

Irrespective of ethnic origins mind...Denise Lewis...phoar !
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 21:12

Athletic grace and beauty - Bromptonaut
>> The only trouble you're in is if Mrs 'Naut reads the above !

Nah, she's spoken of 'having his shoes under her bed' as long as we've been together - nigh on thirty years!!

If herself ever sees this I am for the high jump. I will be accused starting an orgy of lip-smacking salacious stuff.

Pulchwitude! Embonpoint!

(Ow! Yaroo!)

Athletic grace and beauty - Londoner
So on a day when GB wins six gold medals - a greater total than ever achieved by us on a single day before - the only failure (and I had to think twice before selecting that particular word) was our overrated football team.

Sorry for appearing to rant, but seeing such real great athletes of all nations at the Olympics has made me more annoyed than usual with footballers.
Last edited by: Londoner on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 22:41
 Athletic grace and beauty - BobbyG
Agreed Londoner, it's not like an England, sorry I mean GB team, to lose on penalties is it??
 Athletic grace and beauty - Zero
It has such a depressing regularity about it. I have concluded british soccer players have no backbone.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 22:46
 Athletic grace and beauty - No FM2R
Interesting, and superfluous, use of the word "british" there. By far the majority of them seem to be awful irrespective of country.

Thank goodness that also seems to be the majority, rather than all.
I thought the women were rather good when they beat Brazil. Did anyone else look at that?

I hesitate to suggest it being no footer fan or expert. But could women save British football?

Discuss.

:o}

Athletic grace and beauty - corax
>> It has such a depressing regularity about it. I have concluded british soccer players have
>> no backbone.

Going on Humph's thread about the measure of worth, how much are british soccer players worth in relation to their salary/performance compared to other sporting athletes?

>> Going on Humph's thread about the measure of worth, how much are british soccer players
>> worth in relation to their salary/performance compared to other sporting athletes?

Problem is though, how many people subscribe to Sky for the athletics coverage?

blame the sky subscribers for the excesses of the soccer players.

May be a looker but a lot of her TV comments have been very partronising IMO
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 21:23

Are you quite old Melders?

:-)

Might be one of the older posters here but I can recognise out of touch guff from someone who won a medal 12 years ago when I hear it.

And what did you win 12 years ago?

Not relevant - I am not appearing as an "expert" on TV!

Look I dont want to be patronising, but she's better looking than you, shes won more medals than you, and she knows more about athletics than you. Thats why she is there and you aint.

We don't want you to be patronising either so why not stop? End Of - as you would usually say.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sun 5 Aug 12 at 06:12

Sorry if my post sounded a bit rude Meldrew ! All I really meant was that I haven't heard a word Denise has been saying...and if she was unpleasant about some others, well, I could forgive her almost anything...

:-)

Athletic grace and beauty - Kevin
>The only trouble you're in is if Mrs 'Naut reads the above !

I got into trouble for this:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=10096&m=225668

She's sponsored by Jaguar as well - drives an XK-R. It'd look nice on my drive next to the XJ.

Athletic grace and beauty - Roger.
Miss Ennis is HOT!
Actually I was quite surprised how tiny she is compared with some of her competitors, but oh my, that feminine six pack of hers is something!

She has the right female attributes but I reckon she is even less bodyfat than the 4% quoted for the well known racing snake, Bradley Wiggins. Plus she speaks eloquently and modestly on TV when interviewed. What a charmer!
 Athletic grace and beauty - Iffy
Ms Ennis doesn't do it for me, but I'm pleased she won, not least to stick it up those who said she was doing too much modelling/PR to the detriment of her training.

Athletic grace and beauty - BobbyG
The Commonwealth Games are in Glasgow in 2014 and lots of buildings are at an advanced stage, including the huge Chris Hoy velodrome opposite Celtic Park.

I have always been a cynic with these and felt that they would never be used after the games and would forever be monuments to huge excessive spending for no return.

But suddenly the Olympics has brought a new generation of interest to these sports, away from the traditional football and I am now hoping that the velodrome will maybe, just maybe, be a sign of good things to come!!

By the way, anyone read Hoy's autobiography? A really good read!

Athletic grace and beauty - Ted

The race that did it for me was the incredible performance of Laura, Danni and Jo in the girls team pursuit. To shaft the Yanks and nearly lap them plus bettering their own world record was a joy to behold. Then the lads gave their opponents a thrumping to get another gold.

We were out at friends for dinner later but the first thing they said when we arrived was to ask if we minded watching Ennis go for it. ' As long as we can watch Mo as well ' I said.
Then we had the bonus of the long jump between races.

I could have sat at the telly all day...nearly did. A great day for the Limeys.

Footy should be taken off the menu......I'm sure there are some other sports there to fill the slot.

Ted

Athletic grace and beauty - Westpig
>> Footy should be taken off the menu......I'm sure there are some other sports there to
>> fill the slot.

Agreed.

How is football, as it is, allowed anyway? I thought the Olympics was all about amateur status. How come the football teams aren't a load of Sunday league players?

>> I thought the Olympics was all about amateur status.

Not these days - top athletes (don't know about all the other sports) are professionals, it's their job.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games#Amateurism_and_professionalism

"After the 1988 Games, the IOC decided to make all professional athletes eligible for the Olympics"
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 5 Aug 12 at 10:42

Athletic grace and beauty - Westpig
>> >> Not these days - top athletes (don't know about all the other sports) are professionals,
>> it's their job.
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games#Amateurism_and_professionalism
>>
>> "After the 1988 Games, the IOC decided to make all professional athletes eligible for the
>> Olympics"
>>

Well done...you live and learn. Surprised I hadn't picked up on that before, but there again, being a professional couch potato.....

>> Surprised I hadn't picked up on that before, but there
>> again, being a professional couch potato.....

I suppose in some ways doing it for a living (athletics, not couch potatoing) makes it easier. You don't have to try and cram your training in around your day job, which would probably make both suffer.

But to be training full time, to have your income dependent on how hard you can physically push yourself*, worrying about injuries and even just getting a cold at the wrong time - not a job I'd fancy.

EDIT: * I suppose lottery/government(?) funding removes some of that uncertainty, but you only get that by proving (and continuing to prove) you're good enough
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 5 Aug 12 at 11:21

>> not a job I'd fancy.

along with being a policeman - too much like hard work :)

Athletic grace and beauty - bathtub tom
>> "After the 1988 Games, the IOC decided to make all professional athletes eligible for the
>> Olympics"

Not quite all. I understand the footie teams are restricted by age of the players, thereby preventing some older players participating.

Athletic grace and beauty - henry k
>> >> "After the 1988 Games, the IOC decided to make all professional athletes eligible for the Olympics"
>>
>> Not quite all. I understand the footie teams are restricted by age of the players,
>> thereby preventing some older players participating.
>>

Pensioners not allowed but I noticed a gray haired fellow - Giggs ???

>> Pensioners not allowed but I noticed a gray haired fellow - Giggs ???

"Associations affiliated with FIFA are invited to send their full women's national teams and men's U-23 teams to participate. Men's teams are allowed to augment their squad with three players over the age of 23."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics

Athletic grace and beauty - Robin O'Reliant
>> How is football, as it is, allowed anyway? I thought the Olympics was all about
>> amateur status. How come the football teams aren't a load of Sunday league players?
>>
The only sports I can think of that still differentiate between amateur and professional classes are golf, boxing and wrestling. Virtually every other sport is now open.

>> Ms Ennis doesn't do it for me

A charming girl, fit in the real sense, utterly fixated as these people are of course but quietly gorgeous without being conventionally pretty, a hard one to pull off I reckon.

What about Ms Dibaba Iffers? You'd never catch her judging by what you have let out about your athletic condition.

>> what you have let out about your athletic condition.

I didn't mean that to sound heartless. I'd forgotten about the hip joint. I hope it is mending nicely.

>> What about Ms Dibaba Iffers?

In the leading group of the women's marathon. 8 miles to go, on now.

EDIT: sorry same name different runner
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 5 Aug 12 at 12:45

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/19134741

Buy yourself a piece of the action... - smokie
memorabilia.london2012.com/iSynApp/allAuction.action?sid=1100443&rc=20

the logo - Zero
www.nowpublic.com/environment/2012-olympic-logo-alternate-colors

Daily Mail - Zero
twitpic.com/7l917b

Daily Mail - Armel Coussine
Heh heh...

Mo Farah sounds very British although he trained in the US.

I was glad his American training buddy got silver.

Buy yourself a piece of the action... - borasport
I see you can bid for a shuttlecock from the Badminton - I guess they have one or two 'little used' ?

An extra gold post box - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19137832

"We are running a little short on gold paint, which is testament to Team GB's success. We'll be getting more supplies tomorrow," he added.

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - Bromptonaut
Another Gold - who was that guy in red and what's he done with Roger Federer?

I'm glad Murray won. It won't do Federer any harm.

Herself won't be pleased because she thinks Murray has an uptight, unpleasant manner. He has - he seemed cold towards the other players after the match, no camaraderie there. Contrasted badly with Federer's grace and apparent warmth.

I don't think that is very important though. Murray is still young and he may mellow a bit with age and success. He longs to be a champ and he looks more like one than he did yesterday.

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - Dutchie
I got the feeling Federer felt a bit sorry for Murray.He might have relaxed some in the game a true champion.>:)

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - Runfer D'Hills
I think I read somewhere that Andy Murray is a Dunblane shooting survivor. I suppose that might have a bearing on his personality or apparent lack of it. Dour fish though I'll agree.

You never know Humph events can change people.I think Andy will be a Wimbledon champion one day.

Wow, I didn't know any of that. He was eight at the time, says he and his brother hid under the headmaster's desk, and that he and his mother were on friendly nodding terms with the homicidal maniac Hamilton who had been given lifts in their car. He had been to a camp organised by Hamilton too according to the Grauniad.

Bruddy herr, I mean... might make anyone a bit jumpy and paranoid.

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - corax
>> I'm glad Murray won. It won't do Federer any harm.

I noticed that he 'grimaced in savage triumph' AC.

:)

Always does. So does his mum in the audience.

A gringo with a grimage.

I love/hate the Olympics chat. Vol 8. - zookeeper
murray, the best englishman scotland ever produced

Latest Forum Posts