Non-motoring > John Keegan (15 May 1934 - 3 Aug 2012) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 6

John Keegan (15 May 1934 - 3 Aug 2012) - Armel Coussine
Wrote the very fine book The Face of Battle, his first, unlike most works of military history concerned essentially with the texture of the common soldier's experience; when later in life confronted by a real battlefield (in Lebanon) he was impressed and a bit surprised by how 'physically disgusting' such places are.

Was my comic's defence correspondent for many years, appointed by the underrated modernising editor Max Hastings who dragged the terrorflag kicking and screaming into the early twentieth century.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 17:08
 John Keegan - L'escargot
>> Wrote the very fine book The Face of Battle, his first, unlike most works of
>> military history concerned essentially with the texture of the common soldier's experience; when later in
>> life confronted by a real battlefield (in Lebanon) he was impressed and a bit surprised
>> by how 'physically disgusting' such places are.
>>
>> Was my comic's defence correspondent for many years, appointed by the underrated modernising editor Max
>> Hastings who dragged the terrorflag kicking and screaming into the early twentieth century.
>>

Very informative. What brought John Keegan to mind?
 John Keegan - Armel Coussine
He's died aged 78. Forgot to put an RIP.
 John Keegan - R.P.
Just amended the title. Got the book on Kindle for less than the cost of the real version.
Well done Rob. If you haven't read that I estimate you will like and admire it.

Herself tells me she used to know Keegan slightly as he was a boyfriend of an older cousin of hers. I didn't know that. She confirms though what I always felt to be the case: that he was 'very nice indeed.'
 John Keegan - Ambo
Does he cover Waterloo? I just wonder how significant the help we had from our Prussian friends was in contributing to victory.
>> Does he cover Waterloo?

Yes. Agincourt, Waterloo and the Somme.

Comprehensive historical work: absolutely nothing triumphalist or chauvinist to be found in it. It's proper stuff. No one would regret reading it.
Latest Forum Posts