Non-motoring > Shirt sleeve style question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 73

Shirt sleeve style question - L'escargot
When not wearing a jacket in summer, what is the most stylish form of shirt sleeves ~ short sleeves, long sleeves rolled up to just below the elbow, or long sleeves rolled up to above the elbow?
 Shirt sleeve style question - Zero
Long sleeve shirts should not been rolled above the elbow unless you want to look like a squaddie.

If you want above the elbow - buy short sleeve shirts.
 Shirt sleeve style question - Clk Sec
I don't know about 'stylish' but I've never felt comfortable in short-sleeved shirts, so I don't own any, and my long-sleeved shirts are worn as they were intended. However, during exceptionally hot weather I might just wear a tee shirt around the house and garden.

One has standards, you know.
:)
 Shirt sleeve style question - Roger.
Short sleeves.
>> Short sleeves.

Only 'cos you're used to short sleeve order.
I see you as a cuffs turned up outside the jacket sleve - ala Jason King
>>I see you as a cuffs turned up outside the jacket sleve

How very dare you...
 Shirt sleeve style question - R.P.
Never liked short sleeved shirts. (bit like having a soft top with no roof) - as it happens wearing one for work today though.
you need a nice timepiece visble on the wrist tho.
I rotate them - Seiko on bike days, Omega other days - with the Citizen chucked in on some days.
Short-sleeved shirts received as gifts are relegated to the 'winter wear' section of my wardrobe, and worn under a pullover. Unless they're from M&S, in which case they'll be exchanged for a smart pair of chinos.
 Shirt sleeve style question - Fullchat
Can't abide long sleeved shirts. Having worn uniform shirts for a long time it was always short sleeved in preference.
 Shirt sleeve style question - Duncan
>> I rotate them - Seiko on bike days, Omega other days - with the Citizen chucked in on some days.
>>

What about the Casio and the Timex?
 Shirt sleeve style question - MD
>> I rotate them - Seiko on bike days, Omega other days - with the Citizen
>> chucked in on some days.
>>
Some Citizens need chucking out.
 Shirt sleeve style question - Fursty Ferret
>> I don't know about 'stylish' but I've never felt comfortable in short-sleeved shirts, so I
>> don't own any, and my long-sleeved shirts are worn as they were intended. However, during
>> exceptionally hot weather I might just wear a tee shirt around the house and garden.
>>
>> One has standards, you know.
>> :)
>>

Wot, just a T-shirt?
 Shirt sleeve style question - Pat
It pains me to say it L'es, but Z has it spot on!

Pat
I think les would look better in a wife beater.
How about a black AC/DC T shirt?

Pat
I've still got my 80s original Pat - shrunk a bit though !
Me too, and the Ace Cafe one and they both fit again now:)

Pat
 Shirt sleeve style question - Dog
I just wear a muscle type vest 24/7 (minus the muscles!)

:}
 Shirt sleeve style question - helicopter
I'm in short sleeve order today at work in UK although the office is airconditioned and it is not strictly necessary it just happened to be the first shirt I took from the drawer.

When visiting my customers in Middle East I always wear long sleeve double cuff shirt with gold links.

Shirt sleeve style question - devonite
Ah! Cuff-links - the subliminal sign of good breeding!
 Shirt sleeve style question - WillDeBeest
Ah! Cuff-links - the subliminal sign of good breeding!

Kinda the opposite of short sleeves, though - must be worn WITH a tie. There's a progression: short sleeves untucked...long sleeves untucked...long sleeves tucked in...long (buttoned) sleeves with tie...double cuffs and links with tie. Introduce any of these 'formalizing' elements out of sequence and it will look wrong.
 Shirt sleeve style question - Mapmaker
>> Ah! Cuff-links - the subliminal sign of good breeding!
>>
>> Kinda the opposite of short sleeves, though - must be worn WITH a tie.

Not so. (Unless you mean single cuffs with cufflinks which always look silly - except obivously when wearing white tie.) Double cuffs require cufflinks and do not require a tie.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 13:02
I'd overestimated you, MM. Now I see you secure your double cuffs with novelty single-ended links styled to look like taps, golf clubs or football club crests.
};---)

As AC says, if you're Brad Pitt you can wear what you like and carry it off through sheer confidence. Most of us aren't, and can't.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 13:54
 Shirt sleeve style question - Manatee
I saw a picture of prince Harry and Kate doing casual recently. He was wearing jeans and long sleeves rolled very neatly to above the elbow.

If you're concerned about style then you have to decide whether your a style maker or a style taker.

I'm not overly concerned so utility comes into it. I might wear long sleeves if it's cooler, or if I want sun protection. I wore a short sleeved shirt last week to a formal meeting because it was deuced hot. I avoid sleeve rolling as a starting point but if I'm wearing long an I want to roll them up, I will.

As far as I know there are no major rules of etiquette involved.

What does baffle me slightly is the obvious desire to conform of younger and often less confident management types in wearing double cuffed shirts. Most impractical around an office.

Has our Cheshire style guru responded yet?
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 08:49
>>Has our Cheshire style guru responded yet?

Still deciding which pair of shoes he'll wear today, I expect.
 Shirt sleeve style question - movilogo
In modern cosmopolitan culture, it hardly matters what you wear.

IMHO women sometimes do notice each others attire but for men people don't bother.
It might not matter to you, or me, but some people really notice. Anybody who spends £100+ on a pair of jeans, for a start. My last pair were £10, but then I would only wear jeans to wash the car, creosote a fence, or on a cattle drive.
 Shirt sleeve style question - Iffy
Short sleeve shirt?

Never, and never, ever, with a tie.

Quite right iffy - I agree with you totally !
 Shirt sleeve style question - Runfer D'Hills
A short sleeved shirt may be worn if on holiday or when gardening but not at any other time. A polo shirt is acceptable if involved in some form of mild excercise but should be avoided otherwise. T-shirts should not be worn by anyone not still in full time education. Vest style tops are unacceptable in any circumstances.

Long sleeved shirts can have their sleeves rolled. If it's a formal shirt ( ie one which could be worn with jacket a tie), it can still be worn casually but the sleeves should only be rolled to below the elbow. A more relaxed style ( perhaps one with breast pockets and in a more rugged material ) can be rolled above the elbow.

The absolute faux pas is a short sleeved dress shirt with formal trousers (with or without a tie).

Mostly right Humph - ditched yesterday's unshaven look with tee shirt and jeans which I wore for work, now in a very nice Next shirt with jeans, and the Eco Drive watch. Feel I look quite cool today !
 Shirt sleeve style question - Runfer D'Hills
Well done Rob ! Sounds spot on. Don't go and spoil it all by buying a scooter though...

:-0
Last Wednesday I was expected to wear a tie, and I wanted to wear a short sleeved shirt. So I did. And I wasn't the only one, even though I expected to be. Fortunately the pensions regulator isn't concerned about how trustee boards dress. The tie was out of consideration for a hard working chairman with a known preference.

You can take style anarchy too far of course. I wouldn't dress to please myself at a wedding where I might spoil the pictures.
 Shirt sleeve style question - Mapmaker
Long sleeves rolled up to just below the elbow.

Prince Harry can get away with them rolled higher without looking like a navvy as he is gorgeous, stacked and bronzed. (Not exactly how *I* feel about him, but you can see why people do.)

Interestingly, when dressing down became fashionable, the Big Four firm I worked for at the time introduced guidelines prohibiting short sleeved shirts for men when worn casually. Previously there had been some men who wore them with a suit. It was nice that casual dressing stopped it!

And Movilogo, you could not be further from the truth.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 09:46
 Shirt sleeve style question - VxFan
Wots a shirt?

I only ever wear polo shirts or t-shirts *

(* except for funerals and weddings)
 Shirt sleeve style question - Armel Coussine
I wear heavy black shoes with navy blue serge trousers, a close fitting white short-sleeved shirt and a rather nifty black tie on a bit of elastic so I don't have to do it up. My hair is cut short.

I am a screw at Belmarsh.
 Shirt sleeve style question - madf
>> Wots a shirt?
>>
>> I only ever wear polo shirts or t-shirts *
>>
>> (* except for funerals and weddings)
>>

+1

Sheesh, as Humph sometimes says.

'A gentleman never wears brown brogues and long socks with boxer shorts and a tattered sombrero.'

'If wearing a beige or maroon cardigan with a tie, a black Homburg hat may be worn, but only by orthodox Jews.'

People here with their tortured outfits sound like a planeload of tourists heading for Alicante, or parents' day at a not very good school. I hope you will all remember to make your wives wear embarassing hats jammed down squarely over their perms.

The fact is that people with style simply don't give much of a damn. That's what style is.
Pfffttt... Real style is purple sleeves with contrasting poppy coloured large cuffs and three fake gold buttons
You see?

Doesn't give a damn.
 Shirt sleeve style question - bathtub tom
>>Pfffttt... Real style is purple

Do you think Stella copied the idea?

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph
 Shirt sleeve style question - henry k
>> Pfffttt... Real style is purple sleeves with contrasting poppy coloured large cuffs and three fake gold buttons
>>
Just watched the women and the men time trialing past my neck of the woods.
After the last rider had passed plus the the BiB BMW with "Race finished sign", some of these prawns were trying to order cyclistd ON TO the pavement and into the pedestrians because of Traffic ( that did not exist ).
I resisted responding and ignored them.
Prior to that I thought they were doing a reasonable job.
>> some of these prawns were trying to order cyclistd ON TO the pavement and into
>> the pedestrians because of Traffic ( that did not exist ).

Being a jobsworth in a uniform was on my bucket list.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 20:53
 Shirt sleeve style question - TeeCee
>> People here with their tortured outfits sound like a planeload of tourists heading for Alicante,
>>

I recall a journalist (Robert Elms, I think) writing about his experience of getting stuck at Gatwick airport one summer some years ago.
Most of those present in the chaos were off on package holidays and shell-suits appeared to be de rigeur.

He said it was like; "being at the departure of the British team to the Special Olympics for the Sartorially Disadvantaged.".
Unfortunately I had just taken a mouthful of tea before reading that and the results were messy.
 Shirt sleeve style question - Cliff Pope

>> The fact is that people with style simply don't give much of a damn. That's
>> what style is.
>>

I don't think my wife would agree with your second sentence. Not that I give a damn. :)
Two references to Prince Harry so far, but wouldn't it have been William out with Kate?
Yes of course I continually confuse the two.
...Yes of course I continually confuse the two...

Harry might be hoping Waity Katy does the same.

Shirt sleeve style question - Ambo
Wear long sleeves and keep the rest covered up as well, especially if you have a fair skin. I have and am beginning to get a suspicious burning sensation on my arms. I have already had an actinic keratosis removed from my nose, a benign sun-induced carcinoma from my leg and have a chest and neck rash due to actinic rays.
One needs ink, scars or a tan to flash bare arms.
I need none of those or any permission.

I revel in being unfashionable, but it's really difficult - in the chilly months I went to work in a tweed jacket, only to be complimented by my 30 year old designer clad colleague on being bang up to date.

And I still haven't seen anybody whose appearance has been improved by the addition of a tattoo, whatever the shirt. Fashions by definition change. Invest in laser tattoo removal services now, we'll be millionaires Rodney.
 Shirt sleeve style question - bathtub tom
I once went to collect my daughters and friends from school. They weren't where I thought we'd arranged to meet, so I went into school. I'd been decorating, so turned up in paint spattered slippers, shorts, t-shirt and head (I was also driving a fifty quid Fiat 850). The staff looked me up and down, but didn't comment and were extremely helpful. Daughters were horrified.

Another parent commented the staff probably classed me as 'rich, eccentric'.

Eldest daughter bought a Skoda Estelle and insisted on parking at school. I wonder where she got that from?
...I went to work...

Well remembered. :)

Shirt sleeve style question - BobbyG
Short sleeves all the time. Even when I might occasionally need to wear a tie. I keep all my ties in my office for this reason.
Ties, cuff links, formal suits all the invention of the devil!!
 Shirt sleeve style question - idle_chatterer
For work: long sleeve, French cuffs / cuff links all the time, even at 35DegC and 80%+ humidity, one has standards to maintain. Although I rarely wear a tie in the tropics and have taken to wearing a vest (middle aged or what) to absorb the sweat (nice image).

Off duty: shorts and a tee shirt, I think I may possess one short sleeved shirt somewhere or other.
Short sleeves with a tie Bobby G?

Big turn off with the ladies unless part of a uniform!

Pat
Pat, wouldn't a real woman love the inner Bobby whatever he was wearing - short sleeves, radioactive shoes and all?
};---)
I'm struggling with that picture W de B, I sort of see the real Bobby as having knobbly hairy legs sticking out from below a haphazard kilt and wearing a tartan cap with ginger hair sticking out beneath it.!

The only slightly redeeming factor I can find is that he has an adorable dog:)

Pat
Pat, you have hurt my feelings, I thought you would have liked the fact that I am who I am and don't try to be anyone else, keep up with fashions or anything like that!

Hurted to the bone so I am :)

Seriously, I can understand why some jobs need a uniform, and those uniforms can vary from a Policeman to a shop assistant. However I do not give a solitary tosh about how someone dresses. In fact, I am far more at ease with someone in casuals than someone in a suit.

Perfect example, recently interviewed an 18 year old lad - was wearing a suit that he was obviously uncomfortable in and he was trying to be someone that he wasn't. I would expect an 18 year old to turn up smart but not in a suit. Again, that may well depend on what job they are going for.

But don't get me wrong, may family have given up on me as far as clothes are concerned!! Seven years ago I was made redundant from Safeway and received a five figure redundancy sum. As well as buying a Fabia vrS, my only treat in the way of clothing was a pair of Nike trainers at £80. Tradition says that every summer since then, they come out for the summer holidays because they are the good trainers! Still don't think they have been worn in properly!

On the reverse of that, I realised recently that I am fashionable - my Adidas Samba trainers are apparently hip cool and trendy again ;)
BobbyG, it's not personal...well, only a bit.

It comes from spending hours in Safewat Bellshill waiting to tip, then more hours waiting to load empty replacement pallets, then even more hours in that poky little room waiting for my POD's ( sorry 'lines' when up there!)

I'm like an elephant...and it could have been all your fault!

Pat
Pat: Bobby's wardrobe is that of a prison screw. That is a sort of uniform. Surely it should thrill you?
That should read Safeway, of course.

To keep the pedants happy, I'm trying to water all the hanging baskes and tubs but keep getting rained off.

Wet T shirt competition anyone?

I have to add that a nice smart uniform does it for me....but not in Z's colours:)

Pat

Pat, I was store not depot based!

I spent hours waiting for deliveries from Bellshill but they blamed the supllier deliveries for the delay......
>> deliveries from Bellshill

Should that be Belmarsh, or Bullshill?
Sorry Bobby:(

I can believe that though, the buck always stops with us and when we've been held at Bellshill for hours and are late for Iceland and Somerfield at East Kilbride they won't believe it's Safeway Bellshill fault, we've been sitting in lay-by's wasting time!

Well, as I said you could post an up to date pic of your dog, that would make you completely forgiven:)

Pat
s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k485/Bobbyg69/

this help Pat??
He doesn't look as though he's grown much more sensible yet, but he's beautiful and as they say in the Fens 'I bet he's got the sod in him'!

He's actually smiling in the first one, albeit upside down:)

You're completely forgiven now!

Pat
Nope hasn't grown much in size at all. 26kg and he will stay at that.
Very clever now though, when the windows tune plays when I shut the laptop at night, he gets up and goes through to his bed!
 Shirt sleeve style question - helicopter
......Ties, cuff links, formal suits all the invention of the devil!! ......

It is all about dressing to create the right impression with the right people .

I am meeting with foreign government officials in their embassies or high ranking military officers and I can hardly turn up in a short sleeve shirt.......

Going back to cufflinks - I love antique gold links and have several pairs.Novelty links are a definite no !
 Shirt sleeve style question - henry k
>> ......Ties, cuff links, formal suits all the invention of the devil!! ......
>>
>>>> It is all about dressing to create the right impression with the right people.
>>
>>>> I am meeting with foreign government officials in their embassies or high ranking military officers and I can hardly turn up in a short sleeve shirt.......
>>
>>>> Going back to cufflinks - I love antique gold links and have several pairs.Novelty links are a definite no !
>>
I agree.

Today I have only long sleeved shirts.

In the past I had short sleeved shirts and tie when working in Saudi but I think that was because the Americans had set their standard before I arrived.
 Shirt sleeve style question - Dog
"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn"
~Gore Vidal.
Latest Forum Posts