Non-motoring > How does twitter do it? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 8

How does twitter do it? - Iffy
Me and my chum Peter have dormant twitter accounts.

Yesterday I received an email from twitter inviting me to contact Peter via the service.

Neither of us has ever tweeted each other, my total of tweets is one more than a year ago and he tells me he tweeted twice a few months ago.

So how does twitter know we know each other?

Email address books could be the answer, although I expect lots of people in my address book have twitter accounts, but I've not received emails about anyone else.

How does twitter do it? - Zero
you are listed as "followers" of each other?
...you are listed as "followers" of each other?...

Not as far as I can tell.

He is listed as following the person he tweeted - whom I don't know - and his company twitter account.

I'm listed as following two journalist/media types.

I didn't know he was on twitter until the email landed, so I've never so much as viewed his page and he told me today he's never viewed mine.

How does twitter do it? - Manatee
I thought one just tweeted intransitively rather than at a person, which shows how little I know.

Unless you have given Twitter permission to access your online address book and put your hotmail/gmail etc password in to facilitate that, then I don't see how they would know. Assuming of course that neither of you "follows" the other.
 How does twitter do it? - John H
>> Me and my chum Peter have dormant twitter accounts.
>>
>> Yesterday I received an email from twitter inviting me to contact Peter via the service.
>>

Q1. Has Twit Peter or you nominated one or the other as a follower?
Q2. Did Twit Peter receive a similar email?

>> Neither of us has ever tweeted each other, my total of tweets is one more
>> than a year ago and he tells me he tweeted twice a few months ago.
>>
>> So how does twitter know we know each other?
>>
>> Email address books could be the answer, although I expect lots of people in my
>> address book have twitter accounts, but I've not received emails about anyone else.
>>

If the answer to questions 1 and 2 is NO, I suspect Twit Peter may have granted access to his email contacts, and of those that are Twits have been contacted in the manner Twit Iffy has been.

Twit A can restrict twits to be received from and visible only to his/her chosen Twits B, C, et. al.

Answer to both questions is 'no'.

Twit Peter makes no claim to twitter expertise so may have mistakenly granted access to his email contacts.

That would give the current state of play.

I may quiz twit Peter in a day or two to see if any of his other email contacts have been on to ask about an email from twitter.

One question still begging is why now?

Neither twit Peter nor twit Iffy have been near or by their twitter accounts for a long time.

How does twitter do it? - R.P.
I've a tickle at tweeting - (especially during last summer's riots) - I keep getting odd little e-mails from them. It's a junk account so I don't really worry about it !
 How does twitter do it? - L'escargot
>> Twit Peter ..............

I thought twit meant a stupid person.
 How does twitter do it? - L'escargot
I thought "twitter" was what birds did.
Latest Forum Posts