Non-motoring > What is a "fair" price? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 13

What is a "fair" price? - Roger.
tinyurl.com/bmuu2t5

What is a "fair" price? - Lygonos
Cut production and 'grow' something other than milk.
 What is a "fair" price? - Roger.
While I agree that supermarkets are hard bargainers, to the point of being dictatorial, we do benefit from from lower prices.
Currently we buy British UHT skimmed milk and decent thick sliced toasting bread from ALDI at 49p per litre & 49p per loaf. The milk is the equal of anything from Tesco and in the case of the bread, that is much superior to the Tesco "Value" bread.
Food like anything else is a commodity though and must follow the market in terms of supply & demand. If the prices being paid are too low, it follows that is a superfluity of supply. Cut the supply of a product and the shortage then apparent will increase prices.
Farmers provide an essential product, but that does not mean that, as businesses, they necessarily deserve special treatment, although the wretched CAP of the EU does distort the market artificially. (Driven of course by the disproportionate influence of France's peasant) farmers whose much divided inheritances of a couple of hectares mean they NEED subsidies to survive. They are a powerful voting force in France!

What is a "fair" price? - Zero
You can't compare UHT milk to real proper fresh milk. UHT is bound to be cheaper it has a longer shelf life. British Farmers are the most efficient in Europe, if they can't produce milk cheaper then they can't and they should be paid to do it, not at a loss.
 What is a "fair" price? - DP
I agree with Zero's comment above.

Just to add, milk will ultimately end up as another product we import instead of producing locally.
 What is a "fair" price? - John H
>> UHT 49p per litre

Aldi sell 4 pints of British fresh milk for £1

What is a "fair" price? - R.P.
Easy to say that - but farmers have had to put a huge capital investment in the hardware to service large scale contracts, taking huge loans to do so, not as simple as diversifying.
 What is a "fair" price? - Bigtee
4 pint of milk at Asda £1.00 bargain down from £1.19
 What is a "fair" price? - Stuartli
>> 4 pint of milk at Asda £1.00 bargain down from £1.19>>

Probably similar in Lidl. However, that price perfectly illustrates the problems being faced by dairy farmers...:-((
 What is a "fair" price? - R.P.
I noticed the Asda offer yesterday on a hoarding outside the store. Very insensitive of them really - especially given their origins (Associated Dairies) and the timings - talks were ongoing yesterday in the Royal Welsh Show - there was some "feedback" to one of their corporate suits sent to sooth the fevered brow of the farming community. I think he was the wrong bloke....
 What is a "fair" price? - Focusless
They have been doing 2 x 4 pints for £2 for ages. But if they had single 4 pinters for £1 last weekend (and previously) I didn't notice it ie. AFAIK it is a new offer.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 25 Jul 12 at 12:58
 What is a "fair" price? - Dog
Talking of farmers, we're up your way today Pugley:

www.radiotimes.com/episode/n8c6z/escape-to-the-country--llyn-peninsula
 What is a "fair" price? - Dutchie
Average earnings of Dutch dairy farmers is between 20 and 25000 Euro's gross. Which isn't a fortune.

I would be prepared to pay more for milk to keep the UK dairy farmer.
 What is a "fair" price? - John H
>> Easy to say that - but farmers have had to put a huge capital investment
>> in the hardware to service large scale contracts, taking huge loans to do so, not
>> as simple as diversifying.
>>

As the article linked in the OP says, there is overcapacity. Huge capital investment - Either Farmers were ill advised and/or their lenders were ill advised. Time for those making big losses to cut their losses and move on.

>> Just to add, milk will ultimately end up as another product we import instead of producing locally. >>

read up on facts here
ec.europa.eu/agriculture/milk/background/jm-2012-03-06/03-defra_en.pdf
Latest Forum Posts