Non-motoring > Border Agency Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 13

Border Agency - MD
From the BBC web news this morning. "The UK Border Agency has laid off 1,000 more staff than intended and is having to hire extra people and increase overtime to meet its workload, Whitehall's spending watchdog says".

Ya couldn't run a proper business like this. Ha ha.
 Border Agency - Bromptonaut
And those who are left are being 're-educated' into the new way of doing things. This involves attending seminars to tell them how carp the old ways (and by inference those who delivered them) were.

Border Agency - Westpig
>> From the BBC web news this morning. "The UK Border Agency has laid off 1,000
>> more staff than intended and is having to hire extra people and increase overtime to
>> meet its workload, Whitehall's spending watchdog says".
>>
>> Ya couldn't run a proper business like this. Ha ha.
>>

You wait. It's going to be the same with the Police.

I know folk in my local force and that force was very quick to get rid of their civilian investigators (usually ex-cops who do the bread and butter stuff...cheaper). Now there's talk of re-hiring them again.

The Met Police are due to lose 7,000 officers. Watch the carnage after the Olympics (reg A19 will kick in, savagely)....then the crime rate will increase, then the hand wringing will begin...then there will be a recruitment frenzy...(i'll guess at 3 - 5 years for the cycle). Trouble is a brand new cop takes many years to properly learn his/her trade.
 Border Agency - Bromptonaut
What's the effect of Reg A19?
 Border Agency - R.P.
It effectively forces an Officer with 30 years pensionable service to retire.
 Border Agency - MD
As do Builders. There is no substitute for experience. I am beginning to lose the will to live regarding successions of governments that can't get the basics right. Our local town Pop. 5.5 k (I think) including the surrounding environs had 7 full time Police and one of them, a petite girl tells me that is now down to 2. The station which underwent an expensive refurb not many moons ago may not survive she also states. I don't think that we are going to recover from this mess this time around and I genuinely fear for the right thinking (and behaving man and Woman).
 Border Agency - WillDeBeest
Ya couldn't run a proper business like this.

Au contraire, mon vieux.
Not on the corner shop scale, I agree, but big companies do just this, sort of on purpose. Rounds of job cuts are always painful and expensive to implement, and there's pressure on managers to show savings, so the tendency is to prune a little too far rather than risk not going far enough. Some managers then find themselves with work to do and no-one to do it, so they make a case for hiring some new people. It's not as unusual as you might think.

Border Agency - John H

>> Ya couldn't run a proper business like this. Ha ha.
>>

The problem is that it is not run like a business nor a "force". It is run by a civil service union, with the bosses powerless and forever looking over their shoulder for interfering politicians telling them how best to do the job.

The border "force" (as it is now called) should be under the same employment regime as the Army, taken out of Politics, fully staffed and funded entirely out of a ring-fenced arrivals/ departures levy.

I often travel to the States where you have a few questions to answer, have your passport electronically scanned and then you have to undergo fingerprinting and iris photography. Yet I have never had to queue for more than 10 minutes. As soon as there is a sign of a queue forming, they open more desks (a la Aldi supermarket system).
 Border Agency - WillDeBeest
Yet I have never had to queue for more than 10 minutes.

Never been to Atlanta, then, John?
 Border Agency - Westpig
>> Never been to Atlanta, then, John?
>>

....or Newark.

it's O.K. in Florida...they want your tourist dollars....most other places are a nightmare....and as for incivility, rudeness, arrogance, unhelpfulness ...it seems they've learnt the art well.
 Border Agency - madf
I remember La Guardia being carp.
 Border Agency - Zero
JFK is bad

SF wasn't bad, only 40 minutes.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 18:41
 Border Agency - R.P.
Flew into Philli in April 2010 - the queues were awful. Same for Chicago in 08.
 Border Agency - sooty123
McCarren can be bad as well. Can depend on the time of day though, smaller airports for arriving into the US are better or if you can get the shortcuts even better. I think the Iris and fingerprinting is only at some US airports not all.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 18:47
Latest Forum Posts