Non-motoring > Somethings have not gone up in price! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 4

Somethings have not gone up in price! - Falkirk Bairn
I was making some room in the loft for the plumber - small leak needing attention.

I came across an old cardboard box and in the bottom was some letters, bills and a bank statement from 1982.

In 1982 I was reasonably well off taking home £800+ per month according to the bank statement. The house insurance and contents were renewed - the Building premium was just under £100 and the contents just over £50.....call it £150 - about 20% of my take home pay for 1 month!

I just renewed the house and contents at the weekend - it was under 10% of my monthly pensions and if I'd still been working probably about 5% of my monthly take home pay. The contents cover in 1982 was £11K...........today's cover is "unlimited"

Thanks to the Internet and comparison sites house insurance (at least!) is a lot cheaper than 30 years ago.
 Somethings have not gone up in price! - Robin O'Reliant
Clearing out a load of old papers this year I came across some old phone bills from 1992. We are now paying less for phone and broadband than we were for just the phone back then.

That's about the year I first got a mobile and though I have no records that's become considerably cheaper to use too.
 Somethings have not gone up in price! - rtj70
I bet FB paid his insurance annually in one payment in 1982.... I hope he did. That would be an outrageous amount for monthly insurance payments.

Clue is he renewed insurance....?
 Somethings have not gone up in price! - Falkirk Bairn
>> I bet FB paid his insurance annually in one payment in 1982....

And I paid this year's House & Contents premium in 1 payment + car insurance next month - I do not pay any bills monthly other than the Council Tax and Fuel...........With loan % up to 30% APR ............never a borrower or lender be (Mortgages excused)

Funnily enough my 3 x kids ( mid - late 30s) have mortgages but no loans, credit card balances etc - CC cleared every month...................it must be in the FB Gene Pool!

40 years ago - young, married, 1 x child and not a lot of cash to go around.
Calculated all bills and divide by 12...........put this figure every month in a separate "Bill Paying A/c"...............money is then there when the bill arrives ............takes 100% attention to detail but pays in the long term.

Nowadays
Retired, Pensions exceed normal monthly outgoings, no Mortgage/Debts............I do not have or need a "Bill Paying A/c" but most folk in UK, of all ages, DO!
 Somethings have not gone up in price! - rtj70
You seem to be saying it took a large percentage of your monthly income. It took a large percentage of one month's income.

Unfair to say one month now and then is such a huge amount. My insurance is less in real terms too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 16 Jul 12 at 22:54
Latest Forum Posts