Non-motoring > Tubby or not Tubby Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 144

Tubby or not Tubby - Crankcase
Ok, I 'fess up. Here's my numbers from the BBC Fat calculator. Any more?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

Fat Index
25bmi
BMI is an estimate of the body’s fat content based on a person’s height and weight
National
Below average
You have less body fat than 80% of males aged 45-59 in your country
Global
Above average
You have more body fat than 52% of males aged 45-59 in the world

Did you know?
If everyone in the world had the same body fat as you, it would add 14,348,186 tonnes to the total weight of the world's population
 Tubby or not Tubby - Manatee
That's not fessing up, that's showing off.

Mine was 29 before I started sensible eating in April. Don't know what it is now but I'm about 6kg lighter. I use myfitnesspal.com to keep track - very handy website and iPhone app. If I do proper walks I use runkeeper and eat the extra calories ;)
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
Twenny Free!
 Tubby or not Tubby - Zero
28bmi

Below Average
You have a lower BMI than 51% of males aged 45-59 in your country Global

Above average
You have a higher BMI than 78% of males aged 45-59 in the world

Did you know?
If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would add 55,274,376 tonnes to the total weight of the world's population

Looks like I am averagely fat for the UK
 Tubby or not Tubby - diddy1234
wow a 60stone 4ft dwarf would have a BMI of 256 !
 Tubby or not Tubby - VxFan
I was told to choose one person at a time ;(
 Tubby or not Tubby - Bromptonaut
19 - almost like someone from Bangladesh!!

I've been around that level since my teensand am otherwise healthy.

Some concern around my recent accident as skinny men can have a propensity to low bone density. DEXA scan booked for 31/7.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
>>19 - almost like someone from Bangladesh!!<<

Crikey! - you better get some dinners down ya m8y.

:)
 Tubby or not Tubby - devonite
What a load of cobblers!! - I`m most like a Samoan! bmi 31, but compared to 90% of folk I see about I`m positively Skinny!!
 Tubby or not Tubby - Bagpuss
I got a BMI of 0 at the first attempt, until I changed my height from 188m to 1.88m. Then I ended up with a more realistic 25.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
I wonder what the BMI of David Haye and Dereck Chisora is (17st 9lb and 15st) they look fit enough to me.
 Tubby or not Tubby - madf

I am of course the same height as when I was 21 and the same weight and have a body honed to such perfection that the Greeks made a statue of me

(and cut off the head and arms to make it look old)

You're most like someone from Malawi*
Compared with other males aged 60-69 in Malawi

Did you know?
If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 10,441,260 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population
Last edited by: madf on Fri 13 Jul 12 at 14:32
 Tubby or not Tubby - DP
BMI is a nonsense measurement. Nothing that simply takes into account weight and height can give you any meaningful information about someone's health and fitness levels.

As one example, the head fitness instructor at my local gym is an accomplished triathlete, and runs marathons in around the 3hr 15 min mark, yet he manages to do this with an "obese" BMI of 30. One look at the chap, and frankly obese is the last word that comes to mind.
 Tubby or not Tubby - John H
>> BMI is a nonsense measurement.
>>

only if you don't know the official WHO guidelines for using it.

"WHO says: "BMI provides the most useful population-level measure of overweight and obesity as it is the same for both sexes and for all ages of adults. However, it should be considered as a rough guide because it may not correspond to the same degree of fatness in different individuals." "

www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/your_weight/whatis_bmi.shtml
Last edited by: John H on Fri 13 Jul 12 at 16:10
 Tubby or not Tubby - Londoner
My result : 24

Dunno whether this is good, bad or indifferent.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Cliff Pope
 Tubby or not Tubby - zookeeper
im as skinney as a rake, but have type 2 diabetes...dont kid yourselves
 Tubby or not Tubby - Clk Sec
Another 23.
Come clean you lot!!! - I`m not the fattest one in here!! I`ve seen some of your photo`s!!
 Tubby or not Tubby - Clk Sec
Must be all that clotted cream.
;-( I`m not even from Devon! - my "handle" come from my "local" - The Devonshire!
>> ;-( I`m not even from Devon! - my "handle" come from my "local" - The
>> Devonshire!

I think that gives us a clue to the factor involved ;-)

Mine is actually now 27.7. Back in April, it was 29, which (subject to the usual caveats) is "overweight" but only 1 away from "obese". I decided to do something about it and for the first time in my life my weight has been going down since then. I am now in the middle of "overweight".

The link above gives me:

Obesity Index
28bmi
You have a lower BMI than 57% of males aged 45-59 in your country Global
Above average
You have a higher BMI than 74% of males aged 45-59 in the world

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would add 48,144,559 tonnes to the total weight of the world's population

so it seems I do have something in common with Zero.

I intend to get to 25 maximum. Feeling much better already, belt in 2 notches and collar size down half an inch.
 Tubby or not Tubby - corax

I'm am mostly like an Indonesian so perhaps I should go there and see if I fit in. Not.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Westpig
Mine is fairly shameful. I'm not posting it on here.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Slidingpillar
er 20... And that's me having put on weight.

My cohorts are Eritreans apparently.
 Tubby or not Tubby - MD
It won't work.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
S'ok boss, we've seen the mugshots!!

:-D
 Tubby or not Tubby - Roger.
I think I'm the winner @ 35 YAY! Bring on the crisps & Black Sheep ale!
 Tubby or not Tubby - Badwolf
Apparently I'm most like someone from Tonga. Like someone else said, I have a high BMI (31) but I see far larger people every day.
Among the output from dedicated research into the blee ding obvious I have heard on the wireless in the last few days are -

- the fatter the people around you, the fatter you are likely to be.

- recording what you eat tends to result in eating less and in more sustainable weight loss.

I have been taking comfort for years from the sight of large people in Asda - but I finally admitted that wasn't saying much ;-)

I have some unproven research of my own to share. I think alcohol=bad calories.

I've come to this conclusion because I have pretty well been keeping to my 13000 or so calories a week, but when I have had a boozy week, despite keeping to my overall intake target, I have experienced a hiatus in weight loss.

Bad news this, as I really like beer which I have hitherto regarded as a complete meal in a glass :-(
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 13 Jul 12 at 22:18
 Tubby or not Tubby - Runfer D'Hills
Also sleep patterns have an effect. Too much sleeping causes weight gain or retention anyway. Too little is obviously not good either but too much booze and food, lack of excercise and too much sleep all contribute.

I don't especially watch what I eat but I do limit myself to two meals a day. Taken when convenient rather than at any set times. Nothing in between except tea, coffee or cold non-alcohol based drinks. An odd dram or G&T or glass of wine when in the mood but not regularly. Six hours sleep a night, no daytime dozing. Always some form of excercise before bed even if it's only a half hour stroll with the pooch.

>> I don't especially watch what I eat but I do limit myself to two meals
>> a day.

And me, Brunch from 9:00 - 14:30, and Dinner from 18;00-22:00
 Tubby or not Tubby - Fursty Ferret
18 and D.R. Congo.

So I get to be thin, but without all the death and flies and stuff. Dropped to my current weight of 60kg at university in the cycling club and careful eating and regular exercise has kept it constant.
>> 18 and D.R. Congo.
>>
>> So I get to be thin, but without all the death and flies and stuff.
>> Dropped to my current weight of 60kg at university in the cycling club and careful
>> eating and regular exercise has kept it constant.

60KG? good lord thats not much, you must be with Ryan Air.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dutchie
24 82kg.>)
 Tubby or not Tubby - Pat
Mine is 28 and I'm thin at the moment.

Having spent all of my life being either fat or thin and dieting to achieve what weight other people think I should be, I confess to disapproving when I continually see people referred to on here as fatties, porkers or it assumed they are greedy and lazy.

Simple reason is that it hurts....a lot.

I have two wardrobes, a fat one and a thin one.

If I'm unhappy and there has been nothing in my life, I've always taken comfort in food. What else is there if ther is nothing in your life or it has all just fallen apart?

If I'm happy then I also want to celebrate or enhance it with food.

Thin or fat, it's never made me miserable, but the comments directed at me have done.

Lat year in July we both came back from holiday realising that we couldn't walk as far as we would like to, and for me the Arthritis was much worse, so we decided to try and eat a bit more healthily, and this June we both went away having lost 2 stone since last year.

We have finally learned to love our eating lifestyle and find it is now normal for us, so hopefully the weight will stay off. The encouragement for me is the bones like it better when I weigh less.

The thing to remember though, is that the difference between fat and thin for me, is just 2 stone.

I am still 11 stone but a size 14. I was just over 13 stone and a size 20.

I'm too short for my weight, that's the problem!

People who think they have a right to criticise my life long battle with weight, my right to eat what I want, and to make rude and ignorant remarks about it are what make me unhappy.

I've worked every day of my life, I've never claimed benefits, I don't have a tattoo and I don't like burgers, neither have I ever worn a shell suit so yes, I resent those remarks.

The only thing that changes is that IF I had been fat today, I wouldn't have had the confidence to write this post.

Pat
 Tubby or not Tubby - L'escargot
>> I am still 11 stone but a size 14. I was just over 13 stone
>> and a size 20.

Women disguise their size by having a size number. Why aren't they honest and above board like men and say what their dimensions are ~ height, weight, waist size etc.?
Sorry Pat, but overweight people have to put up with whatever is thrown at them, and lump it.

And here is the why. There is only one very simple reason for being overweight, - too much food is consumed for body/lifestyle/etc - There is one cure too, Don't do it.

Anyone can whiffle on about it being in the genes, my parents fault, addictive personality, yada yada yada, but at the end of the day it still boils down to the simple cause. And cure. Its in your hands. If you like your food, you have to take the abuse that goes with it.

As for the difference between fat and thin only being 2 stone, good god woman thats the weight of a medium size dog!

I can say these things by the way, because you gave me permission. Something along the lines of if you want to call people fat put your own weight on here. I did and I have the third largest BMI so far, I ate all the pies, so there are my credentials. But I am fit and healthy.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 14 Jul 12 at 07:52
>> Sorry Pat, but overweight people have to put up with whatever is thrown at them,
>> and lump it.
>>
>> And here is the why. There is only one very simple reason for being overweight,
>> - too much food is consumed for body/lifestyle/etc - There is one cure too, Don't
>> do it.
>>
>> Anyone can whiffle on about it being in the genes, my parents fault, addictive personality,
>> yada yada yada,

There's a third limb to the weight equation; psychology. Pat's post touches on comfort eating which is but one aspect.

Better you don't answer this* but I suppose you think anorexics just need a good meal in front of them.

*Because Anorexia nearly killed my sister ; I have strong and infromed views on the subject.
Anorexia is a physiological illness (when they look in the mirror they think they look fat)

Comfort eating isn't even in the same universe, let alone the same planet. Few obese people go from comfort eating to anorexia.
Eating disorders are probably a continuum; bulimia is at other end.

www.b-eat.co.uk/get-help/about-eating-disorders/types-of-eating-disorder1/bulimia/
you can't disguise the basic facts 99% of people are fat because they eat too much, and will not be fat if they don't. They don't have bulimia, they don't have anorexia and to start throwing up smokescreens does them no favours and compounds the problem.

Trying to compare bulimia or anorexia with comfort eating is, quite frankly, wicked to both sides of the spectrum.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Pat
>>If you like your food, you have to take the abuse that goes with it.
<<<

Why?

You like trains, dogs, aircraft.....does that mean you have to take abuse about it?

I mean proper, rude abuse, not gentle teasing and humouring that you get from us on here.

Why should someone who likes food be an invitation to be abused?

You don't have to look at us, you don't have to live in our bodies, buy our food or walk in our footsteps so just what does actually give you the right to abuse us?

And don't pull the old 'I pay for your NHS treatment due to your weight' card either.....I probably paid for yours when your bad driving caused your accident, or someone else's choice of extreme sport caused their broken leg.

Pat
>> >>If you like your food, you have to take the abuse that goes with it.
>>
>> <<<
>>
>> Why?

Because its your fault. You make the choice, pig out and get abused or cut back a bit and don't. Its very easy.
Get off your high horse, you yourself said on here that when you are your heaviest you find it debilitating. You are making excuses. It don't wash.

As I said I have the right to be hard with you, because I am like you in nearly every (weight) respect.

You'll be giving this the " I smoke because I enjoy it" rubbish next.

I know that too because I was there.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 16 Jul 12 at 09:34
 Tubby or not Tubby - Pat
>>, pig out and get abused or cut back a bit and don't<<

Why is it an option to get abused if I choose to pig out?

You still haven't explained that.....the answer of course, is that it's downright rude to abuse anyone.

Pat
People have no respect for you because you have no respect for your self.

And actually you probably don't even get the abuse you think you do, its just that you are self conscious and uber sensitive when you are fat.
You know how to start a fight don't you Zero.Calling a woman fat is like playing with fire.>;)
Fat men are allowed to!
 Tubby or not Tubby - Roger.
Well said, Pat.
Spot on Pat. Mrs B who has similar struggles could have written the same thing word for word.
Pat, I agree that weight is a personal thing - you shouldn't feel pressured by people in general to be any particular size. Family is different - I don't think my wife and children want me to be unhealthy and that includes being 2 stone overweight ( which is plenty as Zero says - 14 bags of sugar?).

As you say for many of us it's also a confidence thing. The reason being overweight undermines my self esteem is that I know it all comes on a plate (or in a glass) and it's controlled by me. Conversely, I now feel in control and much better about myself. I'm also perceptibly fitter as I know how long it takes me to march to the paper shop and back and I've knocked about 10 minutes off for the 4 miles or so.

It's a mistake to judge ourselves by other people, whether we're looking at size 0 models and feeling inadequate, or looking at the large number of very obese people in Britain and telling ourselves we aren't too bad. I know what I want to be weight wise and if I don't do it there's nobody and nothing else to blame. I'm also a comfort eater but I know it's eat now, feel even worse later. It's just a habit I have to shake off. Or not, if I choose to be fat of course. But why would I want to be frankly unfit and increase my chance of diabetes, heart attack, stroke ...I don't really believe those people who say they are happy to be fat. Not most of them anyway.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
Good for her (from the missus)
>> 18 and D.R. Congo.
>>
>> So I get to be thin, but without all the death and flies and stuff.
>> Dropped to my current weight of 60kg at university in the cycling club and careful
>> eating and regular exercise has kept it constant.

Has being close to underweight ever raised an eyebrow on your professional medicals?
 Tubby or not Tubby - Fursty Ferret
Nope. BMI isn't used so it's down to the doctor's opinion, and since I don't look anorexic, just lean (thanks to the bike) I simply get told to keep up the good work.
For my age group, I'm most like someone from Bulgaria.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Duncan
26 Tajikistan!

What's all that about?
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
Eh, I did it properly this morning, like with scales and that, and I'm from Mauritania.

Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
Wifey has a BMI of 26, most like someone from Ireland.

:}
 Tubby or not Tubby - Stuu
I note only those with a reasonable figure have said what they got :-p

Mine isnt reasonable but apparently I should fit in if I go to Tonga. Ive got this awful image of me in a loin cloth eating a big steak...
Oh thanks Stu ! That's not an image I want every time I read one of your posts !

Family of four along the road from us, two adults and two older teenagers are all a bit well fed. OK actually they're all huge, as in mutated spacehopper huge.

They have two cars, a Meriva and a Ka. When they all get in either of those at the same time it looks like the airbags have gone off.

Can't be safe.
It is all in the eye of the beholder FoR.I used to be 110 kg about 16 stone.Some people look better when they have a bit more weight on some don't.Live life a be happy.>:)
I want to know what Wilderbeests BMI is. His family all sound big. I met a family on holiday once. The mother and father were well over 6 ft. One of their sons was 15 years old and 6ft 5in. The other son was 17 years old and 6ft 7in. He had to constantly stoop under door frames. And they were large framed. Did I feel like a midget? Er yes.
My ideal weight for my height (they say!) is 10st 2lbs !! - if I lost 4stone to acheive that I would both look and feel emaciated,wizened and like I`d been dead 6months! - I both look and feel right as I am now, and that cant be bad! - like I said earlier, Tis Cobblers!
 Tubby or not Tubby - WillDeBeest
I want to know...

A Fijian 25, Corax - 1.98m and 99kg - but it would mean more if coupled to a body fat measurement. Mine was 15% last time, but that was a while ago and I know it's crept up since then. Still alarming that 73% of the UK's 30-44yo males have a higher BMI than mine.
>> A Fijian 25, Corax - 1.98m and 99kg

15.5 stone in a 6ft 5in frame sounds OK to me. At least you don't end up sitting on your own seat bolsters.
Last edited by: corax on Sun 15 Jul 12 at 10:51
 Tubby or not Tubby - Ted

Hi, Billy Bunter here.....I hit the gong at 30...same as an Argentinian !

Right, I'm off to invade Les Malvinas...see y'all tomorrow.

Ted
>>It is all in the eye of the beholder FoR.I used to be 110 kg about 16 stone.Some people look better when they have a bit more weight on some don't.Live life a be happy.>:)<<

I used to do power lifting in my younger days, so not likely ill ever look like adonis again, although the wife likes men with meat on thee bones.
BMI doesnt take muscle into account though so I dont worry as even when I was at around 8% body fat I was still heavy and I can still push a Range Rover across a car park if my back is ok, though not sure how useful that will ever be!
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
>>BMI doesnt take muscle into account though<<

That's right, and muscle weighs more than fat.

I could have some fun with this: www.livestrong.com/article/503573-how-to-check-your-body-fat-with-a-gauge/

One thing I think about is that if I was fat and needed an operation, then the surgeons having to cut through the excess fat might make it difficult for them to perform the operation successfully.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Pat
Now we've got this far, can we discuss why it has become acceptable to call people names because they are fat?

Why do we assume fat people are always lazy and take no exercise?

Isn't it a form of abuse and bullying?

Pat

I ca only agree Pat. People who wouldn't dream of making an overtly racist remark are much more likely to comment negatively on the weight or stout appearance of people they know, or don't know, sometimes directly to them too. I'm certainly an offender in the first category though I don't go round offending people as far as I know.

Name calling is never good, but the reason for the negative attitude to overweight people is pretty clear - unlike being ethnically different, obesity is officially undesirable, and we are constantly told that it is a choice we make ourselves and that we can be "better" if we just stop over-eating and act responsibly. And like reformed smokers, perhaps people who have themselves shed excess weight could be the cruellest - in order to do that, they have had to believe that it is self inflicted and that the individual can do something about it.

I hope I can avoid being gratuitously nasty, but I do have a very negative view when I see obese families in the supermarket loading the trolley with biscuits, crisps, pop, sugary cereals and pizzas, with obese children already occupied with a bag of monster munch from the multipack. When does the right to choose how you live become irresponsible parenting?
 Tubby or not Tubby - helicopter
Another 31 BMI , most like a Samoan .... and they are pretty good rugby players those boys...

And that is after losing over a stone just before last months holiday.......

I just love good food... however...

I am supposed to be on a low fat diet and regular exercise after blood tests revealed a cholesterol level of 7 , I also have high blood pressure....currently controlled by medication.....

....not that it stopped me doing seven solid hours in the garden yesterday trimming the hedges , weeding and raking etc although I do admit to a bit of stiffness of the back today.

The gardening was followed by Roast Chicken , spuds ,gravy and beans plus apple pie and cream

And woe betide anyone 'thin' who dares to call me fat - I usually respond by saying something like ' at least I don't have to run around in the shower to get wet'....

At last! another in the "31" club.

A lot of folk can be fat because their bodies cannot hydrolise the fat particles, that is why fat people can starve to death just as fast as a thin one!
(read it somewhere!) so not all us tubbies are piggys for our grub!
>> At last! another in the "31" club.
>>
>> A lot of folk can be fat because their bodies cannot hydrolise the fat particles,
>> that is why fat people can starve to death just as fast as a thin
>> one!
>> (read it somewhere!) so not all us tubbies are piggys for our grub!

Fat people don't starve to death.
See you down the pub then devonite.........

... a few pints and a pork pie followed by a kebab ....

Roger and Ted can come with us as members over the over 30's club and we'll leave the rest of these miserable so and so's to their lettuce and cucumber....

Pat , you can come as well if you want , if only to get away from Zero and his snidey comments....
 Tubby or not Tubby - Focusless
I understand the "it's your fault" approach to some extent, but surely it's not as simple as that.

I've got a BMI of 21, which might imply that I'm strong willed and that I work hard to maintain a relatively low weight. But that's not the case - I just find it easy. So there's some difference, whether it's physiological or psychological, between me and Pat. Apart from the obvious :)
>> I understand the "it's your fault" approach to some extent, but surely it's not as
>> simple as that.

No its not as simple as that, but if one gets abuse about ones weight, one would do something about it, wouldn't one.
>> No its not as simple as that, but if one gets abuse about ones weight,
>> one would do something about it, wouldn't one.

But neither is it that simple either. See the link to BEAT I posted yesterday.

Yes, many people are overweight simply because their diet is bad. Others eat sensible meals but have a real psychological battle to avoid late night bingeing on bread/biscuits/cream cheese/pnb or whatever. There's a continuum from comfort eating to full on bulimia.

Some swing from anorexia to bulimia and back again (qv the late Princess of Wales) though I guess it's pretty rare.

>> Yes, many

Most
>>people are overweight simply because their diet is bad. Others eat sensible meals
>> but have a real psychological battle to avoid late night bingeing on bread/biscuits/cream cheese/pnb or
>> whatever.

Its no worse than having the will to give up smoking.
>> Its no worse than having the will to give up smoking.

Whatever. The link to BEAT can stand or fall. I'm going out shortly and haven't the time to waste on my view/your view irreconcilable debates.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Iffy
...I'm going out shortly...

Keep an eye on the ground - losing a crutch on a greasy pavement is disconcerting.

Tubby or not Tubby - Pat
>> I'm going out shortly and haven't the time to waste on my view/your view irreconcilable debates. <<

A couple of Paracetomol usually ease my irritability when my bones hurt Bromp:)

Pat

>> A couple of Paracetomol usually ease my irritability when my bones hurt Bromp:)
>>
>> Pat

I take your paracetamol and raise 60mg of Codeine - nothing hurts then. It's the injury to my clavicle rather than the leg that's really gipping - to much keyboarding and having to use a screw driver to repair hedge trimmer flex after Miss B's boyfriend* cut through it didn't help.

* He actually did a magnificent job on a neglected hedge and two overgrown trees along side of house.
The link the beat is not applicable. It does not apply to most cases of obesity and by persistently referring to to it you are, in effecting, legitimising being fat, when for the most part, there simply is not excuse for it.

I am no expert in this field but I believe:

Very few people have a weight problem that is due to physical reasons, it is mainly a mental issue. The spectrum may include at the extreme bulimia, anorexia, gross obesity, and so on. As with other habits/addictions, the extent to which you can control those problems boils down to the individual's mental state.

As for abuse directed at people, it was once perfectly PC to make fun of fat or ginger or gay or non-white people. Gradually it has become non-PC to do so. Some people argue that out of that list, at least fat people can choose to reduce weight, and so are fair game. However, with the increase in obesity in the UK, fat people will outnumber the thin very soon if that is not already the case. So the "norm" will be to be fat, and the abuse eventually will stop.

re. diets - if you have to resort to "low fat diets" to control your fat, you may as well not bother.

I lump all these in the same basket: smokers, tubbies, alcoholics, druggies, drink-drivers, internet-forum-addicts, and god-believers. They all need treatment - of their mind.

>>No its not as simple as that, but if one gets abuse about ones weight, one would do something about it, wouldn't one<<

Unless I go down to 500 calories a day, I simply dont loose a thing and thats no way to live, esp if your as busy with work as I am.

You can abuse me all ya like, but if that abuse is balanced out with a nice steak and apple pie, I can live with it. I actually make alot of jokes out of it myself anyway, my blood pressure is excellent and cholesterol as low as it can be so I dont feel like its entirely on purpose.

Rather be big and happy than miserable and slim, gnawing away on a lettuce leaf :-p

>> Rather be big and happy than miserable and slim, gnawing away on a lettuce leaf
>> :-p

So you'll not be in here moaning about your bad back then?
>>So you'll not be in here moaning about your bad back then?<<

Weight didnt cause my bad back so er, yeah why not :-)
but, I am sure extra weight is not part of the cure, quite the reverse.
No its not, but I have to stay very inactive to avoid inflaming my back/neck.
I tried for months to work harder, walk alot, exercise and what it resulted in was barely being able to walk at all. Its very fragile now and ive been offered no solution as yet.

I have gone down to one meal a day though, just the meal is something I enjoy, so maybe it will work :-)
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
>>I have gone down to one meal a day though<<

Harry Webb only ate/eats one meal a day, and he looks well on it!
>>Harry Webb only ate/eats one meal a day, and he looks well on it!<<

I think Cliff Richard is a one a day man too and regardless of his singing, he does look well on it.
Ex-Olympic rower James Cracknell was on Sunday Brunch yesterday talking about the years when he was on 6000 calories a day!
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 16 Jul 12 at 09:58

>> Pat , you can come as well if you want , if only to get
>> away from Zero and his snidey comments....

She won't get near the bar with you two blocking it out.
Read and Learn Zeddo......

www.asylum.com/2010/05/27/top-10-reasons-being-a-fat-guy-is-awesome/
>> Read and Learn Zeddo......
>>
>> www.asylum.com/2010/05/27/top-10-reasons-being-a-fat-guy-is-awesome/

Ok fair enough, I shall go and stuff some more breakfast toast down my throat.

Have to say tho, no 4? dream on.
Only toast ? Black pudding and fried slice (s) sausage and bacon and fried eggs - cooked in lard of course.......

As for No 4 - you will never know until you get up to a reasonable size and find out for yourself .....:0)

Tubby or not Tubby - Pat
I'll be first at the bar.....but only if it has Pork Crackling, freshly roasted in dishes as a salty nibble!

Zero only gets snidey when he can't find a logical answer:)

Pat
 Tubby or not Tubby - Ted
>> See you down the pub then devonite.........
>>
>> ... a few pints and a pork pie followed by a kebab ....
>>
>> Roger and Ted can come with us as members over the over 30's club and
>> we'll leave the rest of these miserable so and so's to their lettuce and cucumber....
>>
>> Pat , you can come as well if you want , if only to get
>> away from Zero and his snidey comments....
>>

We'd better not all come in your 'copter then.......you might need an uber-powerful one to lift all the blubber !

Ted
This one ought to do it Ted.......

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&NR=1&v=P1QymAXKwN0
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
>>A lot of folk can be fat because their bodies cannot hydrolise the fat particles<<

Oh shucks, I hardly eat anything at all really, its just that 'my body doesn't hydrolise fat particles'.

Do me favour will ya!

:-D
Right ! i`ll do some research then, (if I don`t run out of Puff pressing all these keys)
 Tubby or not Tubby - Pat
There may be something in that Devonite.
After a year of healthy eaing and being two stone lighter each, we had a fortnight in Cornwall.
We made a conscious decision to forget the diet and enjoy what we wanted to eat. We found we couldn't manage to eat as much as the previous year and on many occasions, Ian finished off the excess on my plate as well as his own!

I came back 6lbs heavier, he came back 2 lbs heavier.

Pat
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
>>I came back 6lbs heavier, he came back 2 lbs heavier<<

Y'all could always blame the weather I suppose.

:-)
If it is any consolation Pat - SWMBO and I were much the same.

We both made a concious effort to diet and lose weight before our holiday and ate fairly healthily on holiday , lots of Greek salads and seafood but when we returned she had put back on quite a bit more than me...

I know like you that according to doctors I should weigh less but frankly diets do not work because the weight goes back on as soon as you stop the diet....

My advice is not to worry about it......

It is interesting that Roger who is I believe is one of the oldest if not the oldest on the thread is in his 70's has the highest BMI of 35 , on that basis I will continue to eat and drink what I want and not worry...
>
>> I know like you that according to doctors I should weigh less but frankly diets
>> do not work because the weight goes back on as soon as you stop the
>> diet....

And there, in a nutshell, is the cause of the whole issue.
If you are putting on weight, you are eating too much, not stoping a diet.

Tubby or not Tubby - Pat
Thanks Hoppycopter, I'm not worried BUt I do remember how the jibes hurt when I'm fat.

Look at how fat some people are and I can imagine just how much it hurts them too.

The thing is we can now work out by a process of deduction, those who have a BMI of more than Rogers..........!

It's those who haven't posted:)

I like my men to have some flesh on their bones and I understand that a few men feel the same about women....;)

Pat
 Tubby or not Tubby - Crankcase

>> The thing is we can now work out by a process of deduction, those who
>> have a BMI of more than Rogers..........!
>>
>> It's those who haven't posted:)
>>

False conclusion Pat. Those who haven't posted include that sensible and vast majority of this forum who would never read any thread started by me.

>> Those who haven't posted include that sensible and vast majority of this
>> forum who would never read any thread started by me.

BTW great title :)
>> I know like you that according to doctors I should weigh less but frankly diets
>> do not work because the weight goes back on as soon as you stop the
>> diet....

I need to be careful here as I'm still overweight! One reason for that is that although I started to monitor my troughing back in April, I have only lost about 11lbs so far. That's pretty much on target. My objective is still 20lbs away, but I am not "on a diet". I'm trying to eat the right amount and lose no more than 1lb a week.

As I said above I'm using one of the fitness websites, myfitnesspal.com. Setting up my profile and objective told me that I needed about 2200 cal a day to maintain weight, but 1800 or so will result in a weight loss of 1lb a week. It turns out it does, which to me confirms that it's mostly to do with what I shove down my crop.

I actually don't care if it takes me 2 years to lose the other 20lb, as long as I am heading in the right direction. My current eating habits are sustainable and don't preclude a love of food. I eat what I want, and as long as I don't bust 13000 call a week or spend all day in bed, I will continue to lose small amounts of weight.

I don't get upset if I am 300 cal over on a particular day. It's still within my "deficit" so it just slows down the gradual weight loss. If I have a 3000 cal curry day now and again I just try and aim off a bit for a few days afterwards. I won't actually gain weight unless I am eating over 15000 cal a week, plus any extra that I compensate for with exercise.

Based on advice I have received from and my experience so far, I would not recommend trying to lose more than 1lb a week and certainly to avoid crash diets for losing weight. I don't think many people would disagree that they usually fail as way of permanently reducing weight.

Anybody contemplating a very low cal diet might also look up "starvation mode". There's a lot of cobblers talked about it, but a very low food intake will cause your metabolism to slow, a higher proportion of muscle loss, and when you do eat more normally your body will try to hang on to more fat.

Note that I have a calorie target of 1800 a day. I'm not trying to eat as little as possible, or less than that. Just "enough".

I'm a hostage to fortune here of course, but that will hopefully reinforce my motivation!

Tubby or not Tubby - Mapmaker

As an old doctor acquaintance used to say, "nobody fat ever came out of Belsen."

Being fat is all down to a lack of self-control. Being thin can be just good luck.
Being fat is all down to a lack of self-control..... what absolute twaddle

Still what else do we expect from miserable skinnys.....

Time you had a bacon sandwich Mappy :0)

Of course it is.

If you were only given access to a bowl of rice per day, controlled by somebody else, you'd lose weight. That you do not lose weight means you do not have sufficient self-control.

Just ask these chaps:
tinyurl.com/7vbe9m3

>>ime you had a bacon sandwich Mappy :0)

No thanks. I hate the feeling of being fat. It's true; nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.
Not only twaddle but patronising twaddle at that with the assumption that 'I am better than you because I am thin and you are fat ' so be like me......

You are assuming that I want to lose weight .Why would I want to ---- because some skinny bloke like you says I should?

I have control over my own life - you go off and tell Geoff Capes he's too fat and should execise self control...

I will bring you a bacon sandwich in A & E.....:0)
>> Not only twaddle

No, it's fact.

>> but patronising twaddle

I am certainly not trying to patronise.

>>at that with the assumption that 'I am better than you because I am thin and you are fat '

I missed that?

>>so be like me......

God, how dull. There's not room for two of me in the Backroom.

>> You are assuming that I want to lose weight .

No I'm not.

>> Why would I want to --- because some skinny bloke like you says I should?

I cannot see where I wrote that.

>> I will bring you a bacon sandwich in A & E.....:0)

Thank you. I love bacon sandwiches. Just not every day these days. Once upon a time my daily eating regime went: 2 slices toast. Bacon roll at station. Bacon roll mid morning. 2 rounds of Pret sandwiches, 2 packets crips. An entire packet of chocolate Homewheat biscuits for nibbling at my desk during the day. Three course dinner and bottle of wine.
Why are the tubbies being so defensive if they don't care about their weight?

Tubby or not Tubby - Pat
We're not defensive...we're just envious of people like mapmaker who can eat enormous amounts of food and still be like stick insect.

Proof indeed that it isn't what you eat but the way you're built.

Pat

>> Proof indeed that it isn't what you eat but the way you're built.

NO ITS NOT, thats an excuse. Fat people are full of them

Its proof that you need to eat what your body requires.
Pat, in those days I had a BMI of 18 (and was doing rather a lot of exercise). These days I put on weight (not much, but enough to be aware of). That's "old" age. And that's why I refused the bacon sandwich. Nothing feels as rubbish as fat.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 16 Jul 12 at 17:12
OK a suggestion. Let's stop the sniping for a while ( I'm as guilty as anyone ) and offer some constructive advice for a bit?

I've never conciously "dieted" but I've managed to maintain what is apparently a "normal" weight. I do excercise regularly but through choice rather than as a regime.

Sure, I over-eat sometimes and often eat the "wrong" foods but if I do, I try to balance that the following day by making sure I eat something healthier or just less. Same with alcohol, fine if you want, but don't take it every day and certainly not on consecutive days. Slows you down and makes you sleep more with predictable results.

It's all about balance rather than following rigid plans in my view.
>>OK a suggestion. Let's stop the sniping for a while ( I'm as guilty as anyone ) and offer some constructive advice for a bit?

Exactly what I was trying to do above, in case it is of use to anyone else. What I am doing now, albeit from a different starting place, isn't that far removed from your approach plus a bit of 'monitoring'. Apart from the exercise which I am a bit sporadic with.

I shall be doing a 5 mile walk with the WI tomorrow though. The joy of unemployment ;-)
>> OK a suggestion. Let's stop the sniping for a while ( I'm as guilty as
>> anyone ) and offer some constructive advice for a bit?
>>

;-)

Constructive Advice -

Thinnies - be careful who sits next to you on your flight
i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01532/passenger_1532425c.jpg

Tubbies - Generally, make sure your chairs are suitable for your size:
i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01896/obese_sitting_1896969b.jpg
static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Fat_4d1d45_487322.jpg
www.abc.net.au/news/image/395478-3x2-940x627.jpg
seeker401.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/tumblr_lo321fje981qmdo81o1_500.jpg

I once got us a scheduled flight with Delta to the US for a holiday thinking it would have more legroom than a holiday charter. It didn't, and the cabin staff were battleaxes of the most scathing kind.

An american boarded the flight, who was at least 6'8" and built like a brick outhouse. He had a cursory look at cattle class, which he had a ticket for, then said to the battleaxe by the door that as he was a WWF wrestler and well above average size they would obviously have to upgrade him.

The battleaxe smiled as sweetly as she could (a sort of teeth baring grimace) and said she was sorry but she couldn't put him in the front unless he had the right ticket. He ended up in the middle of a row, seething and folded up like a penknife for eight hours, and the people either side of him were moved.

I didn't see where they were moved to, but I strongly suspect they were upgraded...
Research complete! (I only got as far as this)!

tinyurl.com/brqjsxz
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
Pour yourself another beer ike, you deserve it after all that research.

Tubby or not Tubby - WillDeBeest
I've more often than not managed to secure a seat in an exit row by asking nicely at check-in. (I check in online first to make sure I don't end up like the wrestler if the answer is no.) But increasingly these days I don't bother, especially on Airbus planes that have very few good seats anyway; exit rows are usually full, and when they are it tends to be three blokes like me, so it's often more comfortable in a regular seat with an empty one next to it.

I've never been offered anything grander than the exit row, though, either at the desk or on the plane. I only fly for work, and my employer has an all-economy policy, so I think I'm doomed to the back of the bus.
>> Being fat is all down to a lack of self-control..... what absolute twaddle
>>
>> Still what else do we expect from miserable skinnys.....
>>
>> Time you had a bacon sandwich Mappy :0)
>>
>>
>>

You can eat as much as you like as long as you have a body and exercise routine suited to each other.

If you run more than 20 miles a week and are reasonably active, you can eat as much as you like.

(Says he having eaten 3 chocolate biccies and a piece of cake today :-)
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
And its not just junk food that makes y'all fat, my wife buys umpteen cartons of blueberries, kiwi fruit, cherries, papaya, melons, pomegranates, apples, oranges, bananas, grapefruit, all full of blimmin sugar and no good to man nor beast!

My 12 year old dog hasn't eaten a single piece of fruit in his life, and looks all the better for it.

I'll have to lay the law down when she comes in, tactfully ;)

Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
www.radiotimes.com/episode/rfmzt/dispatches--myths-about-your-5-a-day-channel-4-dispatches

:)
And as for exercise , I went swimming and had a chap dive in and head butt me in the ribs breaking three of them......

I ended up in physio with a bad back after using the rowing machine in the gym.....and knackered my knees on the treadmill.....

>>And as for exercise...

I don't mind an hour's walk, or cycling to the paper shop. Otherwise it's overrated.

I tried jogging once, in 1978. About 2 miles. About the most boring thing I have ever done, and I haven't tried it since. If I expend the energy on washing the cars at least I have something to show for it.

As for the gym...if they all cycled there and back instead of going in the car, they could save themselves the subscription.

>>
>> I tried jogging once, in 1978. About 2 miles. About the most boring thing I
>> have ever done, and I haven't tried it since. If I expend the energy on
>> washing the cars at least I have something to show for it.
>>
>

I have a finely honed body as a result of lifting bottles of Stella.
>> I have a finely honed body as a result of lifting bottles of Stella.

Just make sure you have a balanced diet. One in each hand.
 Tubby or not Tubby - Pat
Like this:)

flic.kr/ps/2fwYgU

Pat
>> Like this:)
>>
>> flic.kr/ps/2fwYgU
>>
>> Pat
>>

I should think that for your body type, your BMI is probably quite normal.

www.cartoonaday.com/body-types-illustration/
"The endomorph has a hard time losing weight. The Mesomorph easily gains weight and the ectomorph struggles to gain weight. Everyone alive fits into one of these three body types."

However, as for Zero and Nicole, what can one say?
bwzone.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/fat-thin.gif

I look good in a Bikini
Just replying to that quickly so you can't delete it. That's gonna come in handy one day....

>> Just replying to that quickly so you can't delete it. That's gonna come in handy
>> one day....
>>
>> :-)

Aye? Get te...
>
>> I have a finely honed body as a result of lifting bottles of Stella.

Full ones? wow impressed!
>> >
>> >> I have a finely honed body as a result of lifting bottles of Stella.
>>
>> Full ones? wow impressed!
>>

Did I add it was a case of 24 in each hand? :-)

No? How odd...
>> And its not just junk food that makes y'all fat, my wife buys umpteen cartons
>> of blueberries, kiwi fruit, cherries, papaya, melons, pomegranates, apples, oranges, bananas, grapefruit, all full of
>> blimmin sugar and no good to man nor beast!
>> I'll have to lay the law down when she comes in, tactfully ;)

Ah, but fruit is a complex carbohydrate that includes fibre, antioxidants and vitamins within the sugars - much better than the refined sugars in cakes and soft drinks.

So don't lay the law down too harshly Dog :)

>>
>> Ah, but fruit is a complex carbohydrate that includes fibre, antioxidants and vitamins within the
>> sugars - much better than the refined sugars in cakes and soft drinks.

Agree: but even better if you ferment it so all the sugar turns into alcohol..

hic.
The enemy of people with some weight are those with ALOT. A neighbour of mine, well infact the whole family, are huge, they make me feel tiny.

I dont think there isnt anyone in the house under 30 stone so it is amazing to me that despite their obvious size they are out walking every day and seem to hold down lucrative employment judging by the nice cars and smart house.

The question that Im wondering is, does it matter if infact you get everything from life that you want, big or not?
 Tubby or not Tubby - Dog
>>So don't lay the law down too harshly Dog :)<<

Cherries, Golden Kiwi and an apple tonight corax, and I haven't said a word, yet ;}
Latest Forum Posts