Non-motoring > Getting used to new glasses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 28

Getting used to new glasses - Mapmaker
Years since I last had a new pair (about 8, finally bought some more as the old ones were beginning to lose their plating). So the new prescription is slightly different. It always shocks me how different the world looks through new glasses... I know this computer screen is square, but it certainly doesn't look it at the moment!
 Getting used to new glasses - Londoner
Mapmaker! Come away from the goldfish bowl this instant!
 Getting used to new glasses - CGNorwich
Just show you should get your eyes tested regularly, if not for your own benefit then for others if you are driving.
 Getting used to new glasses - Ambo
Are the new ones bi-focals? The horizontal line can cause problems at first descending stairs.
 Getting used to new glasses - Zero
Only if you look down!!!!
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 11 Jul 12 at 13:28
 Getting used to new glasses - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Just show you should get your eyes tested regularly, if not for your own benefit
>> then for others if you are driving.
>>

went to the local traffic department today for a drivers' license renewal. (has to be done every 5 years). Took about an hour - mostly queuing and filling in forms. Part of the process is an eye test. I was amazed at how many people ahead of me in the queue failed it - about 5/6 of 15 or so.
I don't know how many of them were 'first timers' doingb the test before they write their learners' license exam, and how many were renewals, though.
Still, a frightening statistic.

Oh, the other thing I forgot about was that they electronically scan both thumbs, and include the prints on the license.
Guess who was wearing a huge bandage, having speared his thumb with a screwdriver whilst fixing a broken gate yesterday?
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Thu 12 Jul 12 at 17:49
 Getting used to new glasses - L'escargot
>> I know this computer screen is square, ...........
>>

Mine is rectangular.
Thank you, CGN, I do have my eyes tested every two to three years. The optician said not to bother with new glasses unless I wanted them.
 Getting used to new glasses - Alastairw
I changed my glasses for the first time in about 4 years this spring - I have my eyes tested every two years, but only replace the specs when worn out or told to by the optometrist.

The new pair are of notably thinner glass than the old, though the prescription has only been tweeked here and there. Took me about 2 weeks to really settle into the new ones in the end.
 Getting used to new glasses - Armel Coussine
I got some new readers off the internet a while back. Had to send the first ones back because the pd was wrong, mine being a lot wider than the norm. That cost extra because bigger, thicker lens blanks had to be used.

The design I had chosen - like most of those available - has a metal frame screwed down around the edge of the lenses, both of which protrude front and back. Four times so far, the mere act of taking them off, folding them up, putting them in my coat breast pocket, giving them the occasional wipe on my tee shirt and so on has caused one of the tiny cramp screws, followed by the lens - always the same one - to fall out. So far I've always managed to find the almost invisible item and replace it using a watchmaker's screwdriver. But however tightly I screw it in, the damn thing gets loose again and falls out.
 Getting used to new glasses - Runfer D'Hills
Try putting a tiny blob of glue on the end of the screw AC ( as in before you screw it back in that is...)
 Getting used to new glasses - Armel Coussine
It had occurred to me Humph but I hate superglue so have put off trying. But I suppose it will have to come to that.

Can't imagine why the spectacle geezers don't do it in the first place though.
Probably because, and I kid you not, there are very strict rules about using adhesives in the workplace. They'd have to install extractor cabinets and all sorts. Some glues which can be bought over the counter are totally forbidden in a commercial environment even with extraction.
 Getting used to new glasses - madf

You need thread locking compound. I have some in my toolkit for such jobs.

Alternatively tried molten candle wax which can be removed easily.

Or nail varnish.
 Getting used to new glasses - VxFan
Or wrap a thin layer of PTFE tape around the thread before screwing it in.
>> Or wrap a thin layer of PTFE tape around the thread before screwing it in.

On a glasses screw?!!!

Computer screen is almost square now, but when I'm walking my feet feel as though they're four inches under the ground level. It always astonishes me how adaptive the human brain is to such changes (and then I remember that in an experiment when an individual is given glasses that turn the world upside down the brain corrects/gets used to it within a couple of weeks).
>
>> brain is to such changes (and then I remember that in an experiment when an
>> individual is given glasses that turn the world upside down the brain corrects/gets used to
>> it within a couple of weeks).

Given that the eyes actually deliver the world to the brain in an upside down format, and the brain has to turn it the right way up, then upside down glasses are a good idea, and should relive the brain of some processing.

And who is to say which is the right way up anyway?
>>Or nail varnish.

Bet he's got some of that. Wears bangles y'know. ( and white shoes )

:-)
Loctite 221 is what you need. tinyurl.com/d3mlsse
 Getting used to new glasses - spamcan61
Bought my first pair of varifocals from Specsavers earlier in the year, much to my surprise I adjusted to them pretty much instantly. I had the base model lenses, despite the sales droid's annoying 20 minutes plus of trying to upsell me to the 100 quid plus lenses, and they're fine.
 Getting used to new glasses - Cliff Pope
I banged my head badly last year and nearly knocked myself out.
When I later had my regular eye test I reported that I had seen stars for a while but was all right now, the optician said my long sight had improved and I hardly needed glasses now.

Don't try this at home, which is what I did one morning when I went out and forgot that the builders had put up scaffolding.
 Getting used to new glasses - J Bonington Jagworth
The last eye test I had resulted in an 'overprescription' - glasses that when made up were too strong and gave me quite a headache, as well as preventing me from focussing on anything closer than about 4 feet away. I then had a cheap pair of glasses made up with half a dioptre lower strength in each eye and they provide me with good middle distance vision and comfortable use of a computer.

If you buy from UK suppliers, even online, they will insist on seeing your prescription and, presumably, sticking to it, but the foreign-registered companies will simply do as you ask. I'm not suggesting that you don't have an eye-test (they're important for other reasons) but it's nice to be able to fine-tune the results.

I use googles4u.com and have been very pleased with the results, and prices. I've been wearing glasses for over 50 years and I know what I like!
 Getting used to new glasses - devonite
Googles4u or Goggles4u? ;-)
 Getting used to new glasses - henry k
>> The last eye test I had resulted in an 'overprescription' - glasses that when made up were too strong and gave me quite a headache.
Due to my wife having eye tests but not having her specs made ( for various other medical reasons) for quite a while, she had fantastic improvement for a short while then headaches.
She is now in the process of having intermediate prescriptions so that the brain can adapt to each step up.

>> If you buy from UK suppliers, even online, they will insist on seeing your prescription and, presumably, sticking to it.

SWMBO is a customer of Specsavers and we would not entertain getting varifocals online.
>
>> SWMBO is a customer of Specsavers and we would not entertain getting varifocals online.

Quite, they need to be very carefully chosen and prescribed for the most benefit. I suspect this lack of care and inappropriate lens size is the reason many can't get on with varifocals.

I get single prescription distance sun glasses for driving on line tho.
 Getting used to new glasses - henry k
I agree with you on both counts.
Single prescription lenses - no problem but are the frames suitable for you and the correct size. DIY adjustments ?
SWMBO has a stock of replacement nose pads from South Africa, as old fashioned ones seen unobtainable. She cannot tolerate the new soft ones.
Why cannot life be simple ? :-)
 Getting used to new glasses - Manatee
Re internet specs - I ordered some varifocals a couple of weeks ago from Glasses Direct. I gave them my monocular PDs so I am hopeful they will be OK. I can send them back if they aren't.

My prescription isn't especially challenging, one eye plano, one -.25, slight astigmatism and a near addition of 2.00.

I've also ordered single vision sunglasses, near readers and intermediates. I hate glasses, but my arms aren't long enough to read the paper without them.

I've had the last two prescriptions from Costco in MK, and they've been spot on. I like their optician who seems quite thorough and is happy to explain everything properly, but their selection of specs was poor this time. My previous prescription from a high street chain was basically wrong.

Internet is no use for my wife whose prescription is about -10. She can see germs without her glasses.
 Getting used to new glasses - Manatee
Well the specs are OK though I have 30 days for the varifocals to send them back if I can't get on with them. So a success for Glasses Direct. The sunglasses and the readers are fine too, I'm just waiting for the intermediates. I'm very happy with the price, and I don't feel I've got an inferior result to what I would have expected from a shop.

I suppose it could have been frustrating had I had a problem, which can always happen.
>> The new pair are of notably thinner glass than the old, though the prescription has
>> only been tweeked here and there. Took me about 2 weeks to really settle into
>> the new ones in the end.
>>

For exactly the same prescription, the lens thickness will depend on what you ask for. Thinner lenses are usually more expensive ~ as an example, see section 3 of Specsavers price list. tinyurl.com/dye89hj

The advantage of thinner lenses is that they are lighter in weight.
Latest Forum Posts