Non-motoring > Remploy confirms factory closures Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 20

Remploy confirms factory closures - MD
Another HUGE Cameron mistake.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Zero
It was done because these people

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/about.htm

recommended the government close it down, diverting the money spent to more direct support rather than to loss making companies.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Haywain
I was very disappointed to learn of this; the snag is that organizations such as Disability Rights UK are more concerned about their own career political agenda than what is actually best for people with disabilities. Alas, their attitude plays right into the hands of a government that is looking to make cut-backs. Remember ‘Care in the community’?

This country is awash with people who don’t WANT to work and it seems such a pity when we can’t help those who do want to work but who have difficulties competing on a level playing field.

I have some understanding of the difficulties of the disabled in finding work; our daughter, thanks to a congenital sub-arachnoid cyst and hydrocephalus, is not the sharpest knife in the draw. With our support and advocacy, she now has work in the local Sainsbury’s (and we thank them for their understanding) and the benefits to her self-esteem are tremendous. I fear, though, without our intense backing, she would have been a lost cause.

Good luck to those who lose their jobs at Remploy – I hope they manage to find new employment.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Bromptonaut
Like Haywain I'm dissapointed by the dogmatic approach of the DisRights movement. Seems rather similar to the mantra that all children, whatever their disabilty, should be in mainstream schools.

No doubt some disabled people can, and should, be employed in ordinary work alongside the able bodied. But watching the Remploy guys on the telly I cannot help thinking most would struggle.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 11 Jul 12 at 13:11
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Pat
Having delivered into most of the Remploy depots throughout the country, I too think that many of them would struggle in mainstream employment.

However, I've never seen a happier, more willing to please bunch of people and I just cannot understand anyone listening to the Disability Rights Movement unless it cam up with a suitable alternative for them.

Pat
 Remploy confirms factory closures - zookeeper
its probably cheaper to put them on the ' sausage roll' and let them struggle to find employment ....god help them
Whatever the rights, wrongs and financial sense of doing this, there was only ever going to be one headline. "Disabled people thrown on the dole" The coalition has a death wish.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Dutchie
People with a disability need all the help they can get.A shame to hear about these closures.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Dave
I think nearly every town here has a Remploy, or similar. And there is also a system for employment of those eligible at local companies as well. I don't know how it works regarding costs/salaries etc, but many companies feel it is their duty to try and help out where possible. They get dropped off and collected every day, and are employed doing the usual menial tasks. I did ask once how it all sits with competing against other potential (unemployed) employees that could do a similar task, but no-one really had an answer. I think it's just accepted as 'the right thing to do', and has always been this way. Seems fair enough to me.

Certainly, it seems well funded and organised, but in Sweden most things are.

Ikea, always a company that many are quick to criticise, is one of the big 'employers' of these people. I guess one could argue that they make a nett gain on it, otherwise they wouldn't do it, and that may well be true. But I think in this case, everyone gains.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - zookeeper
" these people" there lies the problem
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Iffy
...these people" there lies the problem...

What is it with this place recently?

Every time a poster makes an innocent reference to a group of people, some prat comes along waving the discrimination card.

Remploy confirms factory closures - Pat
If that is so I'm going to wave the FATISM card.

It seems that every low life/undesirable/rude/on benefit person spoken about is either fat, obese or a porker.

All of which I find funny, because I demand to know the BMI of anyone using FAT to describe anything.

Watch it all go quiet now:)

Pat
27.4, but with good cardio vascular fitness, and low cholesterol levels.

Yeah I ate all the pies, but I can still run all day to grab them.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 11 Jul 12 at 18:18
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Dutchie
That's how carefull you've got to be with words.I agree what you've said Iffy but my wife could see zookeepers point.Where are the disabled people going to get other jobs nowhere.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Bromptonaut
>> ...these people" there lies the problem...
>>
>> What is it with this place recently?
>>
>> Every time a poster makes an innocent reference to a group of people, some prat
>> comes along waving the discrimination card.

I didn't read zookeeper's post quite that way. More about use of 'these people' to encapsulate a wide range of disabilities. Bit like asking the carer 'does he take sugar'
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Dave
By 'these people' I was referring to the people previously mentioned in my post as eligible (for whatever reason) for the 2 schemes that are run here. TBH in this day and age I don't know what the best term to use is, for fear of upsetting someone, so stuck with the term 'those eligible'.

Maybe I also didn't make it clear that I think the schemes are a good idea, and seem to benefit everyone involved - the employer, the employee, and society as a whole. There's certainly many areas where my tax money is spent that give much less value.

I remember when I was at school here learning Swedish, a group from the Remploy equivalent came and gave a christmas concert for the students.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Cliff Pope

>> I didn't read zookeeper's post quite that way. More about use of 'these people' to
>> encapsulate a wide range of disabilities. Bit like asking the carer 'does he take sugar'
>>

That's how I read it.
It's a characteristic of British English construction that a sentence is capable of two entirely contradictory meanings, and the tone, context and any known attributes of the speaker slant the meaning one way or the other.
It's why Americans often don't understand British humour, which makes much of this, and also why people often find themselves having to hotly explain something to someone who has accidentally or deliberately failed to pick up the nuances.

An old example:
A diplomat is someone sent to lie abroad for his country.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Focusless
>> Every time a poster makes an innocent reference to a group of people, some prat
>> comes along waving the discrimination card.

Do you consider me to be a member of that elite group Iffy? Just so I know where I stand.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - Haywain
It is often said that the degree to which a nation may be regarded as civilised can be measured by the way it treats its animals - and I would add, treats the less fortunate members of that society. Sorry to be pessimistic, this is just another sign that we are in the early stages of a decline to the third world.
 Remploy confirms factory closures - swiss tony
Sorry to be pessimistic, this is just another sign that we are in the early stages of a decline to the third world.
>>

'Early?'
Have you seen the state of our roads?
 Remploy confirms factory closures - MD
>> Whatever the rights, wrongs and financial sense of doing this, there was only ever going
>> to be one headline. "Disabled people thrown on the dole" The coalition has a death
>> wish.
>>
And I hope it is delivered upon them as soon as possible Zeddo. Perhaps Pat and her crews can take it to them.
Latest Forum Posts