Non-motoring > Donating a voucher to charity Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 21

Donating a voucher to charity - bathtub tom
A national restaurant (I use the word loosely) chain has sent me a £50 voucher even after I emailed them to say it would be a cold day in hell before I visited their premises again.

I'd like to use it for the maximum benefit for charity.

Any suggestions as to how I prevent it ending up in the wallet of whoever opens the envelope it arrives in?
 Donating a voucher to charity - Meldrew
I'd be tempted to advertise it in your local shop, saying that the sale price will be donated to a charity chosen by you. Get a cheque payable to it - sorted!
 Donating a voucher to charity - Zero
sell it. give the cash to charity. someone on here might buy it, who is the chain?
 Donating a voucher to charity - bathtub tom
Beefeater (Whitbreads).
 Donating a voucher to charity - Mapmaker
Sell it on eBay. Then giftaid the proceeds.
£30 - contact by email pse. Starting bid
 Donating a voucher to charity - Ian (Cape Town)
>> even after I emailed them to say it would be a cold day in hell
>> before I visited their premises again.

Well, if you really dislike their business so much, why not grab a few local winos and give it to them?
Then sit back and watch the fun!
 Donating a voucher to charity - Pat
If it's valid after Christmas tubby tommy, donate it to the Professional Drivers Foundation for our Christmas Raffle.......we always struggle for prizes to attract lorry drivers wives!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Tue 10 Jul 12 at 17:40
 Donating a voucher to charity - NortonES2
I wouldn't give it to a charity shop: the staff will likely nick it.
 Donating a voucher to charity - CGNorwich
Why do you say that - is that what you would do? Why do you think that people who give their time to a good cause for nothing are mostly thieves?
We give by DD. I'd never hand things to a charity any other way.
Why not, NIL?

Pat
Because of shrinkage. It only needs one of the staff to do this, not all. Anyway it is our decision not to provide money or goods except that which is trackable.
Trackable donations of course, are admirable, but they do diminish in size with the charges incurred.

To all of us who give up endless time, entirely voluntarily and free of charge, at a cost to our own bank accounts, it's a bit like a kick in the teeth.

Pat
 Donating a voucher to charity - Mapmaker
You feel kicked in the teeth because other people donate their hard-earned cash to charity, Pat?
No, no no, mapmaker, I probably didn't word that very well:)

If anyone donates a tenner in cash to me personally for the PDF, it goes straight into a tin and is banked as soon as there is enough to keep the bank charges down......I wouldn't dream of doing anything else with it.

There is a very remote chance that there may be some out there who can't be trusted, but the number is so small I find it hard to believe anyone thinks it happens at all.

Surely a donation to charity can be made safely without it being trackable?

I've tried to put that tactfully....but I don't really do tactful!

Pat
 Donating a voucher to charity - DeeW
Although I am sure there are some volunteers who behave badly in the shops, I am with Pat. We give up many, many hours and seldom claim expenses. The best thing you can do is give with gift aid, as we get extra pennies that way - and you can do that when you donate goods to the charity shops, which are then "traceable" as has been put. After all, what else do you do with used goods/clothes you no longer want - send them to landfill?
I would also point out that those of us who are involved in charities also have to be enhanced CRB checked - another unwelcome expense on the funds.
Our local Mencap shop is presently prosecuting two volunteers who helped themselves to money from the banking - not very bright, they didn't cover their tracks and were soon discovered.
 Donating a voucher to charity - MD
They nick anything else of value allegedly.
 Donating a voucher to charity - CGNorwich
What if I said most builders will nick anything of value ?
 Donating a voucher to charity - Zero
your tea and biscuits mainly.
I work for a couple of charities and for various reason have decided not to get involved in cash handling. One I work for wanted helpers in the shop, selling tickets and goods, scanning items anbd distinguishing between sales of goods and services; I thought it to be a bit a minefield and stick to giving talks to visitors and schools.
 Donating a voucher to charity - R.P.
I'm a little on the trusting side - sadly this morning's headlines was about a chap working at the local WRVS cafe fiddling the till and getting locked up for his troubles. Makes me puke. I gave away a huge amount of kit to various charities when my wife died, Age Concern, Red Cross and various other shop - I'd be horrified to think that some of the stuff had been skimmed. One item in particular would have sold very easily and quickly on e-bay - I'd be saddened if it was "stolen"
Latest Forum Posts