Non-motoring > The Higgs Boson. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 23

The Higgs Boson. - Dutchie
I'm no scientist left school at 16,can anybody on this forum explain what all this means?

Will our future be different new inventions maybe a different way of living so many questions.
 The Higgs Boson. - John H
>> I'm no scientist left school at 16,can anybody on this forum explain what all this
>> means?
>>

blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100169196/can-you-explain-the-higgs-boson-in-140-characters-or-fewer/

I've read the article still difficult to understand.We are all matter made of atoms,we are not machines or are we?
 The Higgs Boson. - Zero
these are the same people who said they had found something faster than the speed of light, then found they hadn't.
Could be Zero Einstein said he didn't understand the universe he was no mug.
 The Higgs Boson. - Focusless
>> these are the same people who said they had found something faster than the speed
>> of light

Couple of other teams agreeing though this time (I think).
 The Higgs Boson. - L'escargot
>> these are the same people who said they had found something faster than the speed
>> of light, then found they hadn't.
>>

Everyone makes mistakes, but credit where credit's due ~ they saw the light eventually.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 6 Jul 12 at 07:31
 The Higgs Boson. - John H
>> these are the same people .
>>

Not so. It was the Italian OPERA team.

trenchesofdiscovery.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/at-neutrino-opera-fat-lady-is-warming.html

The Higgs Boson. - Manatee
I'm skirting round that one. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Video - youtu.be/ZzQpeqE_wLg

Nice story here about the Prof. Higgs who predicted it

goo.gl/cAon1

And Matt's take -

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=9377466&cc=9367668
 The Higgs Boson. - Roger.
I thought Higgs, Bosun. had just been made redundant in the latest round of defence cuts?
 The Higgs Boson. - Manatee
They couldn't sack him. The universe would fall apart.
"Does finding the Higgs boson mark the end of the search?

It's just the end of the beginning. Confirming the existence of the Higgs would only be the start of a new era of particle physics as scientists focus on understanding how it works and look for unexpected phenomena."

www.telegraph.co.uk/science/large-hadron-collider/9372661/What-is-Higgs-Boson-the-God-Particle.html
 The Higgs Boson. - DP
The Higgs Boson walks into a Catholic church. A priest walks over to it and says "Hey, you're not allowed in here!" to which the particle replies, "BUT WITHOUT ME, HOW CAN YOU HAVE MASS???"
 The Higgs Boson. - Mike Hannon
Just out of interest, we get the (printed and by post) CERN newsletter. It's very interesting, not incredibly hard to follow and anyone can have it free. Just go on the CERN website and sign up.
>> Just out of interest, we get the (printed and by post) CERN newsletter.

This one?
openlab-mu-internal.web.cern.ch/openlab-mu-internal/03_Documents/2_Newsletter/Default.htm

EDIT: but that's PDF; where do you sign up for a printed version?
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 6 Jul 12 at 13:11
 The Higgs Boson. - Crankcase
Like the mass joke. How about:

Heisenberg is driving along the motorway when he gets stopped for speeding.

"Excuse me sir," says the policeman. "Do you know how fast you were going?"

"No," says Heisenberg. "But I do know exactly where I am."

The Higgs Boson. - Haywain
There has been much talk of giving Prof Higgs a knighthood. This would put him on a par with Bruce Forsyth and just below John Prescott; I'm sure he'd be thrilled at the prospect.
 The Higgs Boson. - Armel Coussine
There could easily be a Nobel Prize coming to Cern. Higgs could be the, or a, recipient.
 The Higgs Boson. - devonite
So what does Mr Bosun get out of this?
 The Higgs Boson. - Duncan
>> So what does Mr Bosun get out of this?
>>

Well, he is pretty busy in the Tour de France at the moment!
 The Higgs Boson. - ....
>> I'm no scientist left school at 16,can anybody on this forum explain what all this
>> means?
>>
It's the warm up act according to some.
The real challenge for the scientists is to find morals in modern banking.
 The Higgs Boson. - Armel Coussine
>> means?

No, and even if they could no one else would really understand it. The CERN graphics on the box don't seem to help much. But the particle, if it is what they think it is - it only exists for a trillionth of a second or so in the collider - is omnipresent in matter and even empty space, may explain the missing mass in the Einsteinian theory of the universe and is the real basis of everything, from what the personable Brian Cox was saying yesterday.
But he was smiling even more than usual as he spoke. Scientists are very excited by the boson but they seem to be sort of dancing round it looking at it askance. According to Cox its real importance for the moment is that it suggests a potentially fruitful direction for further research.
He said something else interesting too: that CERN hasn't cost any more than a single medium-sized university over the years of its development, construction and existence. One would have thought it was super-expensive, but it isn't.
He added that British government spends far less on science than equivalent countries, but in some advanced fields gets exceptional results.

Interesting stuff all this, but particle physics is a bit rarefied for me.
Thanks A.C To be or not to be that is the Question.
 The Higgs Boson. - Cliff Pope
>> > no one else would really understand it.
>>

I love the story of Sir Arthur Eddington being interviewed.
It was put to him that he was one of only three people in the world who understood Einstein's theory.
He paused for a moment, and then said "I'm struggling to think who the third person could be".
Latest Forum Posts