Non-motoring > are roads for road users or wot? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 66

are roads for road users or wot? - zookeeper
If they aint clogging the roads up on the school run...then they wanna block em off

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18687191
 are roads for road users or wot? - devonite
Terrible idea!! - that is a residential area, not a recreational area. If any "brats" with chalk, scooters, squirters and balls were playing around my legally parked car, I`d soon have them moved on for "breach of the peace", "wilfull damage" "causing a nuisance", take your pick!!
Just another excuse for lazy parents to allow their kids to get used to street-hanging / going feral!! - Stamp it out now! before it spreads to a street you live in!
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 3 Jul 12 at 17:28
the kids were using wax based crayons to draw on the road... thank god i dont use a motorbike anymore.. its bad enough with the deisel spillers
 are roads for road users or wot? - Dave_
>> Just another excuse for lazy parents to allow their kids to get used to street-hanging
>> Stamp it out now! before it spreads to a street you live in!

You don't have children, do you? :)
 are roads for road users or wot? - Dutchie
They don't look feral to me in the film clip devonite.
It`s the first stage of Feral ism at the moment Dutchie! - At the moment there are only adults supervising because a)the cameras are there b)It`s something new. After a few weeks when the novelty has worn off, the Kids will just be chucked out to amuse themselves/run riot, whilst the adults sit watching Corrie with their cans of Lager. Just look at all that chalk/crayon mess scrawled all over the road! would you want that mess outside your front door, I know i wouldn`t, there's enough Graffiti spread around our cities as it is, without setting up "training camps" for them. If you or I went around doing things like that we`d be fined and given an Asbo.
 are roads for road users or wot? - Zero
>> It`s the first stage of Feral ism

Cobblers. Its not the first stage. Kids have been chucked on the streets to be feral for hundreds of years. Mum mum was left on the streets while her mum and dad go ratted down the pub most weekends, it was common place east end practise.

There is NOTHING new for people to be outraged about. EVERYTHING to moan about has already been around for more years than memory. Riots, larceny, child abuse, banking fraud, nothing is new. Only the depth of moral outrage increases.
 are roads for road users or wot? - CGNorwich
Excellent idea. The idea that car owners somehow "own" roads is frankly ludicrous. Where possible it should become widespread.
 are roads for road users or wot? - DP
If so many councils hadn't flogged off their recreational grounds and parks for housing during the property boom of the late 90's, early Noughties, this wouldn't be necessary. It's a cheapskate solution to a problem caused by short term greed and lack of forward planning before the wheels fell off the economy.
 are roads for road users or wot? - Harleyman
ISTR back in the 1970's when I learned to drive, the Highway Code had signs for "Play streets" with time restrictions .... or am I just imagining it?

And DP; nonsense. Even if there were ten times as many parks and playgrounds now as they were then, kids would still play on the streets, closed off or not.

With a bit of fine tuning the idea has merit. Though I'm surprised the council didn't insist on all the kids wearing hi-viz vests. ;-)
Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 3 Jul 12 at 21:10
 are roads for road users or wot? - MD
++++111
We all played in the street. Parent's had an idea where we were. Not in a park somewhere out of the way. In the street there was always some parent looking out or passing or indeed being involved. Non-community is a big part of this Country's problem. Stuff you drivers......(:0:)
 are roads for road users or wot? - Dog
This is where I used to play in the 1950's goo.gl/maps/yYfg there were only ever 2 cars down there then.

20 years ago there were cars parked both sides down that street but Southwark Council seems to have nuked em now by the looks of it but - do kyds really want to play run outs or tin can Tommy these days?

Good idea nice to see children playing safely.If councils arn't prepared to create playing areas for children supervised this is the way to go.
i doubt anyone on this site could sit comfortably at home of an evening knowing some scrotes were kicking a football near their car?
 are roads for road users or wot? - L'escargot
>> i doubt anyone on this site could sit comfortably at home of an evening knowing
>> some scrotes were kicking a football near their car?
>>

They'd have to open our garage door first.
:-D
Might improve my van!
>> Good idea nice to see children playing safely.If councils aren't prepared to create playing areas
>> for children supervised this is the way to go.
>>

If there weren't so many children then there wouldn't be the need for so many play areas. It's the population explosion that's at the root of the problem.
>> This is where I used to play in the 1950's goo.gl/maps/yYfg there were only ever
>> 2 cars down there then.

Were the speed humps there to stop you from running too fast?
 are roads for road users or wot? - Mapmaker
>> 20 years ago there were cars parked both sides down that street but Southwark Council
>> seems to have nuked em now by the looks of it but - do kyds

It's odd Dog, but it's not an area with many cars at all these days. goo.gl/maps/U8Be nearby likewise.

And not just because all this is boarded up. goo.gl/maps/gnyR Different parking zone.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 12:41
The commuters even parked on the estate roads of the Heygate when I lived there.

Falmouth Rd. and all around the Rockingham Est. used to be chocca with cars on both sides ISTR.

Perhaps what with the con-gestion charge + residents only paking, more peeps are using public cattle wagons :)

It's only in the last decade that certainly Grange Road (and I think Walworth too, but I'd have to check (and I cannot be bothered...)) has been in a CPZ. In fact, only when the C charge came in.
>> We all played in the street.

We did as well. And, unlike children today, we had no fears that we might be molested by perves.
 are roads for road users or wot? - Duncan
>> We did as well. And, unlike children today, we had no fears that we might be molested by perves.
>>

I really don't believe the risk is any greater now than it was then.

I think our perception and awareness is greatly raised, but not always for the better. Look at the fuss we have when parents want to take a photo of their children swimming, or in the school play.

Do you believe that children are more at risk nowadays?
>> Do you believe that children are more at risk nowadays?
>>

If they are, it's possibly because sexual deviation in general is now seen as being more acceptable. I think that bringing one form out into the open encourages other forms to proliferate.
>>If they are, it's possibly because sexual deviation in general is now seen as being more acceptable. I think that bringing one form out into the open encourages other forms to proliferate<<

I think you answered the question earlier L'es re: population explosion = the more apples you have, the more rotten ones you'll find.
 are roads for road users or wot? - Roger.
I was never allowed to play in the street.
Our daughter was very rarely allowed to play in the street, (only when we lived in a very small cul-de-sac in Chalfont St. Peter) and she was always supervised by my wife or I.
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 17:53
>> I was never allowed to play in the street.

I always played in the street. When a delivery vehicle came along and stopped to deliver something I used to go up to the horse and stroke its head.
Like that Copper t' other day?
>> Like that Copper t'other day?
>>

Dog, you're talking in riddles again. Which Copper was that?
 are roads for road users or wot? - Focusless
>> Dog, you're talking in riddles again. Which Copper was that?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=11087
>>Dog, you're talking in riddles again. Which Copper was that?<<

Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!
 are roads for road users or wot? - DP

>> And DP; nonsense. Even if there were ten times as many parks and playgrounds now
>> as they were then, kids would still play on the streets, closed off or not

Of course some would, but in many areas the choice has been removed. Many London boroughs for example. I used to live in Hillingdon. The two recreation grounds within walking distance of our old flat are now office buildings. The recreation grounds I played on as a kid were sold off and developed in 2001.. They were not replaced.
>>I used to live in Hillingdon. The two recreation grounds within walking distance of our old flat are now office buildings. The recreation grounds I played on as a kid were sold off and developed in 2001.. They were not replaced.
>>
Whereabouts in Hillingdon DP? The Missus and I were both born there and only left to come to Devon in 1987 when the young one came along. Great place in its day. Had relatives in Cowley too. Mail me privately should you be minded or not if ya shy! The Mods can oblige if you wish.

Cheers........
Our daughter was born in Hillingdon Hospital in 1972.
My Parent's lived 5 mins away. Our Daughter was born there in 1986
We were living in Chalfont St. Peter, but it was the nearest hospital with a maternity unit.
I used to inhabit the Chalfont's many moons ago mainly in Darts Leagues. Happy days..
One of the chaps in our "local" hails from Chalfont st Peter! moved here about 7years ago, used to be a Transport Manager at a haulage firm down there, and also worked in a Metal fabricators.One of his Bosses was Air-Marshall so and so (forget his name) but in WW2 he founded the Pathfinders.
 are roads for road users or wot? - swiss tony
>> We were living in Chalfont St. Peter, but it was the nearest hospital with a
>> maternity unit.
>>

The way the local hospitals are going, it will be again.
 are roads for road users or wot? - Mr. Ecs
"Our daughter was born in Hillingdon Hospital in 1972."

I was born there in 1963
Daughter 1995
Son 1998
I lived in Harlington for 22 years.
Near the Borstal? (0/.)
 are roads for road users or wot? - Mr. Ecs
Which borstal was that.
My error. I was thinking Harlington Road Hillingdon, not Harlington (Heathrow). nearly had you banged up there Mr. X.
St Christopher’s on the south-eastern corner of Coldharbour and Uxbridge Road junction.
Coldharbour lane?
Is my RADAR giving me gyp again Martin:

middx.net/articles/mikeabbott.htm
It's been 30+ years since I've been near Hayes thankfully, but I know the name Minet drive and could probably find it at a push. Who's that tale about then?
Mike Abbott?
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18687191
>>

That's a misuse of wheelie bins. Our council's rules state that only house numbers should be displayed on wheelie bins.
 are roads for road users or wot? - Cliff Pope
Children are road users.

It is one of the great deliberate errors of our time to assume that "road user" = motorist in a hurry.

>> It is one of the great deliberate errors of our time to assume that "road
>> user" = motorist in a hurry.

or that the streets and to a large degree pavements are one giant car park that no one else is allowed to use.
 are roads for road users or wot? - madf
Roads are for:
horses to carp all over
tractors to deposit straw on
councils to dig holes
drain cleaning - I have to diy here or our yard has floods of water in cloudbursts.
and yoofs to travel at 60mph in a 30 limit with a big bore exhaust at 2am.
>>Children are road users.

Yes they are if they use it for the purpose it was built for! - playing, causing damage, graffiti, are not design usage.
are not design usage.

Nor is speeding, committing umpteen motoring offences and parking cars come to that.
 are roads for road users or wot? - Bagpuss
>> playing, causing damage, graffiti, are not design usage.

I quite like the chalk squiggles of the local kids brightening up the roads and pavements. If you watch the kids, creating these masterpieces is a very social activity and much better than them sitting by themselves in front of their playstations. Certainly noone here minds it.

Sometimes the parents get involved and the chalk squiggles take on an almost artistic aspect. Course come the next rainfall it's all gone and they can start again.
wot?

:-)
 are roads for road users or wot? - Westpig
Why on earth do kids have to play in the road? Do none of these houses have gardens?
They can't all play in one garden.This might not work but kids like to play together I used to.
Most Terraced houses have nothing more than a narrow rear yard, which were designed for the kids of the household to play safely in, when their parents were unable to take them to the play area or park!
 are roads for road users or wot? - Cliff Pope
>> Why on earth do kids have to play in the road? Do none of these
>> houses have gardens?
>>

Because they want to and have a right to.

The same reasons that motorists "have" to drive down residential streets.
I like to see all residential roads reduced to a speed of 20mph.Cars parked on both sides of a street is lethal for children.My little mate Harry was killed in front of me by a car.Please slow down.
20mph is too fast Dutchie.
Good point Martin .
5 miles an hour on all roads. You cannot be too careful. Somebody might have an electronic cigarette.
That's a good tip.
That's a corker of a response.
Latest Forum Posts