Non-motoring > rotten lousy weather Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 119

rotten lousy weather - legacylad
Yet another day of low cloud, mist and a persistent drizzle.
With a similar forecast for the next 5 days.
My fault for choosing to live in the Y Dales NP, but at least the fields are green, although that limestone aint half slippery.
Its almost worthwhile giving up decent beer in exchange for a month of sun and becoming a lager drinker!
 rotten lousy weather - smokie
Even further south I'm not minting it with the solar panels, June was not much better than March, even with the longer days!!!
 rotten lousy weather - Westpig
This morning I've had to rod two separate parts of the stream that runs into the garden.

Once where it comes in under the road and my boundary wall (if I leave it, it overflows in a culvert across the road, then diverts, so it comes down my drive, taking all the stones with it and then through my greenhouse and across a lawn)...and the other where it goes under my driveway for a bit. Both clogged up with twigs and stuff and the water is flowing like hell.

June/July?

We've had one barbecue this year, so far. What a wash out.

Edge of south part of Dartmoor
Last edited by: Westpig on Mon 2 Jul 12 at 15:27
 rotten lousy weather - Fullchat
"...Even further south I'm not minting it with the solar panels, June was not much better than March, even with the longer days!!! ..."

Just adds to the misery watching that Kwh counter moving oh so slowly and thinking am I going to hit those predicted figures? :S
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 2 Jul 12 at 19:04
 rotten lousy weather - DP
No different darn Sarf. Pee'd with rain this morning, now dry, but with total cloud cover of various threatening shades. Max temp today will be 18 degrees. More of the same forecast for the rest of the week, but temperatures might go up to the low 20's.

Talking to an Indian ex-pat colleague earlier today who has come to the UK on a 2 year secondment, and is now wondering what the hell he has let himself in for, given this, and August are supposed to be "the best months". I think I depressed him further by telling him we hadn't had a summer worthy of the name since 2008. :-)
 rotten lousy weather - CGNorwich
Herbaceous border never looked better though and the grass is so green! :-)
 rotten lousy weather - Roger.
..........and so are the weeds!
 rotten lousy weather - devonite
just lifted my first Tattie-plant today, - 14 egg-sized spuds under it! they`ve done well ! must be all the rain! was expecting a bit of blight but none! ;-)
 rotten lousy weather - Dog
Same ere in sunny Cornwall :)

I got 4 windows up on my 22" widescreen monitor last night showing the 5 day weather forecast for Brisbane + Tenerife + Cyprus + Cornwall.

I Showed them all to the ole woman one after t'other and said "guess which one is ours".

:-(
 rotten lousy weather - RattleandSmoke
Its been the worst summer in my living memory. It was ok during the weekend still the odd shower but we did have a bit of blue sky. I am so glad I went away for three days in Torquay in early May as at the last minute as I did at least get some sun.

Of course it was nice at the end of April/Early June too but I had a tooth infection so I couldn't enjoy that weather.

According to the long range forecast this low pressure is with us until at least August. The last few summers have been like this (but not as bad) so I can only assume our summers will always be this bad.

At least I don't live in Wales, people in the tourist industry are really struggling there as people are not coming. Got family who run businesses their and they rely on the good weather to bring the tourists in. Thankfully they have a few businesses some are not so dependant on tourists.
 rotten lousy weather - DP
>> Its been the worst summer in my living memory.

No, the two previous ones were utter carp as well.

At least my kids will be able to get outside for a couple of weeks in August when we go to Italy. Spent far too much of last "summer", and the one before, cooped up indoors, and this year looks like it's headed the same way.
After being made redundant late March, 24 hours before going on holiday (thanks) i have almost finished 5 outstanding years worth of snagging jobs chez LL.
Friends in sunny CA, just SW of Tahoe, have emailed me a list of summer garden projects I could do, so I may impulsively book a flight tomorrow. Free B & B and evenings in the cool tub with margeritas and/or large G & Ts are not to be sniffed at.
Just looking at the Placerville Main Street webcam and the daily incessant blue skies makes me want to be there now!
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 2 Jul 12 at 16:15
Shut up, I am jealous :). I think I would actually spend £200 for a week of blue sky in Manchester right now!.

I also think I need to save up that rail trip round southern Europe next year, but it all needs to be done in advance and it will probably rain.
 rotten lousy weather - Armel Coussine
>> rail trip round southern Europe next year,

Take your jalopy Sheikha, and if you need to a bearable friend or girl friend with language skills. It'll cost more but be much more fun.
 rotten lousy weather - FocalPoint
"...it will probably rain." It probably won't. Continental weather is much more predictable than here.

Much more fun to drive, even more so with a companion, even without the language skills.

I'm really looking forward to a couple of weeks in France at the end of August, going into September), mainly based just north of the Pyrenees.

Been planning ferry times, routes, stop-over points and looking enviously at today's weather reports for Toulouse (sunshine, 25°C, 36% humidity) compared with good old Hemel (rain, 16°C, 88% humidity).

Can't wait!
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 2 Jul 12 at 17:11
 rotten lousy weather - L'escargot
If there’s one thing you Brits are stereotyped more for than your weather, it’s complaining about it!
 rotten lousy weather - Dave
It's been the same here in Sweden. And the cheeky so and so's call a lousy wet summer a "British summer". Ha, I point out to them that no-one books a holiday to sweden to top up their tan.

I don't mind the weather, but the down side of lots of rain with a few warmer spells, is the midges. They appear within minutes of the rain stopping, and are biting like there's no tomorrow. Where I live they're not usually much of a problem, but they certainly are this year. I even got bitten on the bum cheek, and I can assure you my a-cheeks have not been exposed outside of the house.
 rotten lousy weather - MD
It has been persisting down here for most of the day and promises to continue for the rest of the week. Does anyone have access to drawings for a Builder's Canoe?
 rotten lousy weather - Fullchat
Yeah I'll come round. Or will I ? :)
 rotten lousy weather - madf
Needless to say my bees hate this weather. And not only mine .. sugar sales must be soaring as we have to feed bees in July! crazy.. Off to Sainsbury's later to buy 5 x5KG sacks of sugar plus some fig rolls and thus get my £2 off £20 spend.. That makes their sugar 72p/KG - cheaper even than Poundstrecther (£1.50 for 2KG) .

(Beekeepers have to follow commodity prices...:-)
>>my bees hate this weather. And not only mine .. sugar sales must be soaring<<

Do all Beekeepers feed their bees white death then mad f, I get my Cornish 'wildflower' honey from www.cornwallhoney.com/ and if I thought they fed their bees sugar I ditch the blimmin stuff.
No doubt that madf will explain the necessity of feeding bees sugar at certain time of the year but I'm not sure why you regard sugar as so undesirable. Honey is virtually 100% sugar, a mixture of fructose and glucose and is chemically virtually the same as invert sugar - what you get when make jam for example or the major constituent of Golden Syrup.

Sugar is only a problem if you eat too much of it either the granulated stuff or bee spit.
I avoid sugar like the plague CG, which is why I (and many) call it White Death.

Just humour or ignore me though as I have always been a bit 'funny', even when I was a kyd.

:}
Fair enough but if you eat honey you are still eating sugar.
White sugar (in particular) is just pure carbohydrate, stripped of the minerals contained in the cane/beet.

I carried out a little experiment years ago using my blood sugar monitor (I'm not diabetic BTW)

I fasted for 10 hours then checked my blood sugar level.

I then drank a cup of Rosey with White Death and checked my b/sugar (glucose) after 30 mins and again 30 mins later etc.

I did the same next day but using demerara sugar.

Then again next day using Blackstrap Molasses (I told you I was 'funny')

The result of the test was that White Death raised my b/sugar lever the quickest, and it also fell the quickest too.

Any diabetic that consumes White Death (too often added to con-venience non-food) is a fool IMHO.
 rotten lousy weather - helicopter
Sugar is everywhere....and not always obvious

For instance Heinz Tomato Ketchup ..... not an obvious source of sugar

........has over 23 grams of sugar in every 100 grams (never mind the salt content)

and ketchup is of course in all sorts of pasta and barbecue sources.

"Sugar is everywhere....and not always obvious"

It sure is - carrots are stuffed full of the stuff .

Best not to add more.
 rotten lousy weather - Kevin
Worried about the contents of your weekly shop?

www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/07/augmented-reality-shopping/
>> No doubt that madf will explain the necessity of feeding bees sugar at certain time
>> of the year but I'm not sure why you regard sugar as so undesirable. Honey
>> is virtually 100% sugar, a mixture of fructose and glucose and is chemically virtually the
>> same as invert sugar - what you get when make jam for example or the
>> major constituent of Golden Syrup.
>>
>> Sugar is only a problem if you eat too much of it either the granulated
>> stuff or bee spit.
>>

Bees need energy to fly and to keep their larvae at 38C so they can turn from larvae into bees. That takes lots of energy. NO sun = no nectar in flowers (and trees and fruits). Nectar is a weak sugar solution regurgitated by bees and concentrated by evaporation to make honey.

If it rains a lot and there is no nectar coming in, the bees eat their own honey. When their stores run out they die of starvation. And of course with no stores, they cannot feed their young. As the average life of a bee in summer is 6 weeks and it takes approx three weeks from egg to fully grown bee, a major hiccup in bee rearing will likely mean a major reduction in colony size.

And that means less honey when times improve - and when winter comes, that may mean starvation in early spring when the queen is laying again, there are few plants around with nectar and the weather is changeable.
 rotten lousy weather - Dutchie
I've noticed less bees in the garden this year.Most of the plants in our garden are bee friendly.

Let's hope the weather will inprove we need these little creatures.
>> Does anyone have access to drawings for a Builder's Canoe?

Here's a description of how to build one. tinyurl.com/d8gbre5
 rotten lousy weather - Londoner
These are the instructions for the type of vessel that we'll need soon, if this rain keeps up:

"Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood with rooms in it, and make it safe from the water inside and out. And this is the way you are to make it: it is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide, and thirty cubits high. You are to put a window in the ark, a cubit from the roof, and a door in the side of it, and you are to make it with a lower and second and third floors. "
(Genesis, Chapter 6, verses 14-16.)
 rotten lousy weather - Crankcase
You'll have trouble with that before you even begin. Good luck deciding what gopher wood even is, never mind getting some at B&Q.

rotten lousy weather - Duncan
>> Good luck deciding what gopher wood even is, never mind getting some at B&Q.
>>

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_wood

Seems to be cedar wood.
I don't think that article says that. I think it offers cedar as one of a number of possibilities.

But once we've got over that hurdle we can try to decide the actual length of the relevant cubit.

It's amazing we weren't all drowned, but as we're here, Noah must have got it right.
 rotten lousy weather - Focusless
>> It's amazing we weren't all drowned, but as we're here, Noah must have got it
>> right.

Excellent account of The Flood (as recounted by Mudface the Turtle) in here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Dolittle_and_the_Secret_Lake
Ah yes, the "unreadable one", a fact partially reflected in the modest selling price of a nice first edition.
>> Ah yes, the "unreadable one"

Really? I read that as a kid (teenager probably) and really enjoyed it. I'll see if I can find a copy.
Well, all things are subjective, but it's pretty dark, isn't it?

Still, I liked Billy Bunter and Kafka when I was a teenager, so it takes all sorts.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 3 Jul 12 at 11:57
I was into sci-fi so liked the fantasy nature of it; probably missed all the deep and meaningful stuff then (and still would!).
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 3 Jul 12 at 12:05
Ooh, now, without too much of a thread hijack, Focus - what sort of sci-fi? I was into it as a teen as well, then "grew away from it", as they say, but recently have picked up some ridiculous sixties Ace Doubles with stories by people like A Bertram Chandler and they're ripping good fun.

I was introduced to easy stuff like Heinlein (good plots, reasonable characters) and Asimov (so many books, not so many good) and Clarke (great ideas, appalling characters), devoured them, then it all went weird.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 3 Jul 12 at 12:57
Daughter is on holiday on Holy Island at the moment.Northumberland I hope the weather inproves for the family.
>> Ooh, now, without too much of a thread hijack, Focus - what sort of sci-fi?

Long, long time ago Cranks :)

As well as what ever I could find in the local library, I remember the 'Lensman' series, and 'The Magician'; might have been others. But I've always been I bit of a speed reader, in that I tend to read them quite quickly then forget most if it shortly after. Probably miss any hidden meanings as mentioned above. Definitely read the popular authors you mention, but no lasting impressions.

I'm just compensating for my own lack of imagination :)
Well, the Lensman series I struggle with for some reason. Those big sprawly epics take some dedication I guess. Don't think I know "The Magician" at all. Couldn't be doing with the Foundation either, although I did trudge unwillingly through Dune and a couple of sequels.

Funny how these things go in cycles. Scifi was big on gadgets and exploration and technical ideas in the fifties and sixties, faded, got bigger again in the 2000s and now seems to have morphed into a sort of horror crossover, mostly, which doesn't appeal to me.
 rotten lousy weather - R.P.
Spot on Crankcase ! I've been racking my brain since this thread about a Arthur C Clarke novel where he described a tablet computer (featured pretty heavilly) - the title eludes me..
I didn't (don't?) know either, but this, via Mr Google is from 2001 A Space Odyssey, so 1968. As ever, pretty prescient.

When he tired of official reports and memoranda and minutes, he would plug his foolscap-sized Newspad into the ship's information circuit and scan the latest reports from Earth. One by one he would conjure up the world's major electronic papers; he knew the codes of the more important ones by heart, and had no need to consult the list on the back of his pad. Switching to the display unit's short-term memory, he would hold the front page while he quickly searched the headlines and noted the items that interested him.
My beloved collection of SF books are safely boxed up here - whilst I've dragged them behind me from home to home like a latter day Prince of Denmark - still waiting to be re-read. I think Crankase sums up what I think nicely !
 rotten lousy weather - Ted

It's called that because B & Q won't deliver it....you have to ' go fer ' it yourself !

Now, wheres the cloakroom ?

Ted
 rotten lousy weather - Zero
>> These are the instructions for the type of vessel that we'll need soon, if this
>> rain keeps up:
>>
>> "Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood with rooms in it, and make it
>> safe from the water inside and out. And this is the way you are to
>> make it: it is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide, and thirty
>> cubits high. You are to put a window in the ark, a cubit from the
>> roof, and a door in the side of it, and you are to make it
>> with a lower and second and third floors. "
>> (Genesis, Chapter 6, verses 14-16.)

I think Genesis went on to write instructions for Ikea furniture assembly.
 rotten lousy weather - Bigtee
At least my veg garden is growing well the strawberies are gorgeous, now lets have the tomatoes to pop out.

17c murky cloudy but dry at the moment in Leeds.
 rotten lousy weather - Pat
I've got loads of cucumbers...in the greenhouse, and tomatoes almost on the turn!

Pat
>> I've got loads of cucumbers...in the greenhouse, and tomatoes almost on the turn!
>>
>> Pat
>>

My rhubarb refuses to rise, 'cos my baby don't love me no more!
:-D
>> At least my veg garden is growing well the strawberies are gorgeous, now lets have
>> the tomatoes to pop out.
>>

Talking of strawberries, we have been pestered for years by squirrels and foxes eating them.

I trapped and killed (humanely I add before someone shops me to the RSPCA) the squirrels and my neighbour (ex farmer) has a large cage trap sprung by eating bait for foxes. First week it caught one. Bang - his shotgun (legal I add for anyone thinking of shopping me to the police) and one dead dog fox.

After that last winter things went downhill as the foxes (ES) - which live 100 metres away in the field learned NOT to pull the bait which triggered the trap door closing. Meanwhile I thought I was being clever by covering strawberries in strong cloches to promote earlier ripening and prevent fox theft.

Needless to say I was wrong, the fox decided to pull up one end and work its way along - when the berries were ripe .. and exit by tearing a big hole.

Thoroughly fed up, I reinstated the trap baited with a juicy lamb bone - hole drllled and wired to door catch. First day and it was triggered next day - I saw as I went on my run - so went to explore. Yes I had caught my thief . But it was NOT a fox.

It was a podgy badger.

There is a large ## badger set in the grounds of Biddulph Parish Church and when I released him?/her? unharmed he/she dashed off in that direction.

## Large as in 20 - 30 holes and frequent signs of digging.

I can't compete with badgers. Giving up growing strawberries.

Next battle to come: the foxes climb our dwarf pear tree and eat the (ripe) pears. Or was it a badger last year.

Whatever it was, it got most of the crop.

(Foxes use our garden as a toilet in certain out of the way places easily found by the acrid smell)

Last edited by: madf on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 10:02
Good to see you've been outwitted madf:)

While we're at it......

Why are Red squirrels lovely and Grey squirrels vermin?

Surely that's discrimination of the animal world as the colour is the only difference?

Pat
Something really odd has happened. I am in utter disbelieve to be honest. For five minutes we had some sunshine, of course the dark black rain clouds have returned again :(.

I would dread to think what all this is doing to the tourist industry's. City's might do well out of it, but more countryside type places and seaside towns which rely on weather must be really struggling now.

According to the long term forecasts this is here to stay too :(
What I hear time after time, is that people say they come to Cornwall because they luv the area.

They've been coming here for decades and know 'fool' well what the weather can bring.

I can well remember coming down here in the 80's and being stuck in a caravan all week because of the rain.

But I came back ere again and again, and even moved down here in the end :)
Spot on Dog:)

Pat
>>Spot on Dog:)<<

I had a Dog called Spot when we lived up at Warleggan, got him from the RSPCA centre at St Columb.

He was a bit of B/Collie, Springer, Lab, and was a feisty geezer, I later got a GSD called Arnie from a rescue centre who came on a bit strong with ole Spot one day, but Spot soon showed him who the guvnor was!
South Pembrokeshire is better:-

i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/penfro/0000211.jpg

This is Broadhaven South, a few miles from Pembroke and our favourite beach when we lived in Sir Benfro.
S'nice Roge, but I bet its only deserted like that when it rains :)
We walked across it one New year's Day, with perfect bright sunshine. Glorious.
Here's a little place for you Roger, they've even painted the beams white, which is exactly what I've been doing this last few days, mine were black (for gawds sake!) but it looks much more cheerful here now.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33895442.html
That price tells you why we didn't return to Pembs. when we came back from Spain!
Wrong area I know but, this is an alf decent little cottage at 'the right' price:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34166657.html
Still way out of our league! (£90K we paid for our little semi).
Our daughter and SIL have bought a super ex council house - three BIG bedrooms, a big kitchen, a very large lounge, a big bathroom, a massive garage, a sun-room and a lovely garden for £92K. It's in a nice cul-de-sac where virtually every house has been extended and 99% are immaculately maintained.
Had it been available when we were looking we would have jumped at it.
The North Notts. area is cheap!
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 21:50
Property prices are too high down here for most young locals to be able to afford to get on the property ladder.

But then in Bermondsey where I come from I'd be looking at upwards of £300k + + so perhaps I'd better do a Rightmove on N. Notts., then I can visit my brother in N. Staffs!
hen I can visit my brother in N. Staffs!

He's a Staffie then ?
Nah, a Cockerney.

>> I can well remember coming down here in the 80's and being stuck in a
>> caravan all week because of the rain.

Cornwall is a grey miserable and depressing place in the rain. Few places to go and do things and keep dry, and those that do exist the roads to the are jammed solid with tourists.

It can be murder down here during the school holidays but, there are plenty of things to do and places to go if the weather is carp, that costs money of course and most families like a bucket n' spade type holiday.

There is nothing worse than going on holiday and having rain day after day, but that can happen anywhere in Gran Britannia as we've found in flaming June.

No rain here today though, and I even managed to sit outside for 20 minutes.

:}
>>Why are Red squirrels lovely and Grey squirrels vermin?

Red Squirrels are native creatures to this country and its eco-system, Greys aren`t, they are an illegal immigrant that are killing/destroying our own luvable "Tufty"! They are classed as vermin for thst reason, along with other such immigrants as Zander, Signal Crayfish, and in some parts of the Country capybara .

As an animal lover, which would you prefer to see, little red Tufty, or Grey tree-rat?
Just as when I look at people of a different colour, I see absolutely no difference and treat them all the same.

My preference would be to see everyone do that.

Pat
>>Just as when I look at people of a different colour, I see absolutely no difference and treat them all the same.

Thats all very nice and commendable Pat, but Grey tree-rat and "other" immigrants dont think or see things that way, "They" are here to stay in their eyes, and if that means killing off the "locals" and taking their territory, so be it, "they" dont care!
Nature is about the survival of the fittest devonite.

You gave a perfect example of that.

Humans are much the same.

Pat
>>Nature is about the survival of the fittest devonite.

In a sense you are correct Pat...........but, a fully fit, healthy Red Sqiggle (oops! Dogs got me at it now!) would probably survive in Nature, but not up against a fully fit, healthy Grey! - bit like the 6th formers bullying the first years, both are fit and healthy but there is only going to be one winner!
>>but there is only going to be one winner!<<

A bit like Nature intended really!

We call them Squizzels here, and they are all welcome in my garden, whatever colour they are.

Pat
>We call them Squizzels here, and they are all welcome in my garden, whatever colour they are.

Just hope that they don't get into the roofspace of your house Pat. We had the little critters chew their way through a metal-mesh airvent in a soffit. When I went up into the loft they had trashed about a quarter of the insulation and damaged loads of stuff we had in storage boxes.

They are now personae non gratae in our garden and are trapped and humanely disposed of. It is illegal to release a grey squirrel once it has been trapped but it must be despatched without unnecessary suffering.

tinyurl.com/38dnwzh (link to Telegraph article).

The damage done by greys has seen it recognised as one of the 100 worst invasive species.

conservation-issues.co.uk/Articles%20Pages/Grey_Squirrel_Article_07-07.htm
They make very good eating apparently! - So dont dispatch and waste, enjoy!!
>They make very good eating apparently! - So dont dispatch and waste, enjoy!!

www.sportinggun.co.uk/features/532186/Squirrel_recipe_Deep_fried_squirrel.html
 rotten lousy weather - corax
>> Next battle to come: the foxes climb our dwarf pear tree and eat the (ripe)
>> pears. Or was it a badger last year.
>>
>> Whatever it was, it got most of the crop.
>>
>> (Foxes use our garden as a toilet in certain out of the way places easily
>> found by the acrid smell)

You could try this,

www.primrose.co.uk/-p-23493.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&gclid=COvCna26gLECFYwhtAoduyKGPQ

Keeps cats off the vegetable patch, works with foxes too. But not if they are old and deaf. I have two, each powered by two 9v batteries, but they can be connected to mains for greater effect. The batteries last a good six months or more if they are turned off in the morning.
Last edited by: corax on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 17:43
>> You could try this,
>>
>> www.primrose.co.uk/-p-23493.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&gclid=COvCna26gLECFYwhtAoduyKGPQ
>>
>> Keeps cats off the vegetable patch, .........

We've got one, to try to deter our cat from using our French door (what other sort of door would we have?!) as a scratching post but it just ignores it.
 rotten lousy weather - corax
>> We've got one, to try to deter our cat from using our French door (what
>> other sort of door would we have?!) as a scratching post but it just ignores
>> it.

Pepper or garlic (I have never seen moles near garlic on the allotment, they seem to hate the stuff) are two good deterrents, but then you might end up just treading it into the house. Something liquid sprayed onto the door that it doesn't like the smell of maybe.
>> These are the instructions for the type of vessel that we'll need soon, if this
>> rain keeps up:
>>
>> "Make for yourself an ark

This chap's got the right idea:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2170080/Dutch-carpenter-builds-scale-replica-Noahs-Ark-plans-sail-Thames-Olympics.html
Thanks Focus I give him a ring if there is any room left just in case.
In order for there to be a weather average, there has to be extremes in some years and somewhere in between in other years. Is this year really an extreme?

tinyurl.com/8xb3sf9
"The UK is one of the most erratic, changeable places on Earth when it comes to weather."
Booked my flight to sunnier climes last night after seeing the July forecast. Away at the crack of dawn tomorrow.
I have, at v short notice, arranged with friends to install an irrigation system in their garden (quite ironic really) in exchange for free board & lodging. Once that's done lay turf and build a patio during the cooler hours of the day. Will probably have to sit in the shade drinking beer between noon & 3pm.
>> In order for there to be a weather average, there has to be extremes in
>> some years and somewhere in between in other years. Is this year really an extreme?
>>
>>
>> tinyurl.com/8xb3sf9
>> "The UK is one of the most erratic, changeable places on Earth when it comes
>> to weather."

If you are setting records, then yes of course it is "extreme" its the extreme ends of average by your reckoning.
 rotten lousy weather - Mapmaker
There are always new records being broken in British weather - and old ones being neared. But when you think of the number of different potential records both of type (heat, cold, wetness, dryness etc.) and timescale (month, season, week, quarter, year, day) that are up for breaking, then it's no surprise that something is always the Xest Y for n hundred years.
Won`t be long now!!! - "cue" the Global-warming, "Ban Man" pundits!!
devonite
Are you trying to make me feel guilty about the three jet flights i am taking tomorrow as I head for the sun?
It's not working...
>>It's not working...

Glad to hear it!! ;-) I`m not one of the "Afore-mentioned"! - Nature could do more damage to this planet on a single day than Man could in his entire existence, if She so desired! - Luckily for us (and other life) She does it slowly and naturally, it`s called Climate change. ;-)
It gets more freaky. There has been warnings of severe rain and floods in Greater Manchester this afternoon and early evening yet all I can see is pure blue sky.

It seems they cannot even forecast beyond the next hour yet alone the next week :).
>> It gets more freaky. There has been warnings of severe rain and floods in Greater
>> Manchester this afternoon and early evening yet all I can see is pure blue sky.
>>
>>
>> It seems they cannot even forecast beyond the next hour yet alone the next week
>> :).
>>

Same here rates..
8mm of rain forecast for now. I must be hallucinating 'cos I see blue sky... Maybe the Olympics are colouring the UK or it's a sign that Andy Murray is going to win Wimbledon this year.

Oops .. apart from the blue sky, I see porkies in the sly....sorry sky.
Last edited by: madf on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 19:24
It was today in Goole lousy weather.Flooding and fire in a block of flats.A restored building hit by lighting.The garage who serviced the daughters car was flooded.Exiting day..;)
Did you see the salt n' pepper pots and the Tom pudding Dutchie?
No went hiding in weatherspoone Dog.A nice curry and read some papers.Wife bought the dresses she always needs.;) No wonder I'm skint.
Pull the other one!

Now it really has gone too far:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18785438

Reminder: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGuNsiSZ9RI
Temps here hitting highs of just over 100 most days, but low humidity. Mid 60s at night, but balmy evenings in the low 80s. Spent yesterday pressure washing my friends deck & patio areas, then a two day job resealing the timber. The hire store only have petrol powered pressure washers, and the one i used was very impressive...no thermal cutout problems with this type.
I eat out every lunchtime and, apart from the accent, it is obvious I am not from these parts as I am the only one dining outside in the shade. Everybody else eats inside!
My hosts tell me that they expect no rain until late September, possible light showers, then snow in the mtns late Nov so skiing at Thanksgiving.
Gas now down to $3.50 gallon (US) so I can afford to fuel the truck for a two day trip to Tahoe later today, only an hours drive up Hway 50. The idea of economical motoring seems to be an alien concept here, and in the bank yesterday the teller asked my friend if she wanted a loan for a new big truck because 'gas was cheap again'.Talk about encouraging people to not live within their means. Do they never learn.

rotten lousy weather - J Bonington Jagworth
This probably won't improve your mood, but it will be interesting to see if they're right..

twitpic.com/a4q45r/full

Back in April, they forecast a very cold May, and would have been entirely right if there hadn't been a warm few days at the end to bring the average back up.
Thanks for that, you've really cheered me up.
 rotten lousy weather - J Bonington Jagworth
Sorry, but it could be worse - you might run a campsite...
Yeah I do wonder how the people at the one I used to go are getting on. I feel very sorry for them, I am told the local village bank has closed because they haven't had the tourists in which use it.

I am in the wrong business, I need to get into the jetstream shifting business.
www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/relief-as-britons-allowed-to-water-their-swamps-2012071033676

Relief as Britons allowed to water their swamps

THOUSANDS of relieved gardeners are finally able to water the swamp-like areas attached to their houses, as the hosepipe ban is lifted.

Many homeowners had been concerned that, unless the ban was lifted soon, they would be unable to keep their lawns submerged to the depth required to support larger marine life like catfish and snapping turtles.

Accountant and keen gardener Nathan Muir said: “With only 38 inches of rainfall since January, the mangrove region of our garden, which I navigate with a type of one-man hovercraft, was beginning to dry out very slightly and the alligators which arrived in February were getting a little bit irritable.

“If only the ban had been lifted a little earlier I might still have a pet dog and a left arm below the elbow, but better late than never.”

Julian Cook, a retired doctor living in Devon, said: “If I fill the garage with water then open the door, I can ride the wave on my canoe past the first few rafts of feral starving children and my wife can pick off the rest with a high-pressure hose.

“That might give me a chance of reaching the ruins of the supermarket, where I can skin-dive for precious cans of food.”

The lifting of the ban has triggered a kind of watering mania among some homeowners, who are hosing with wild abandon their gardens, cars, carpets, laptops, and priceless stamp collections.

Housewife Carolyn Ryan of Durham said: “The ground floor of my house is already four feet under water thanks to torrential rain, but it was missing something.

“Now I can wade out to get the hose, hook it up to the bathroom tap and create a beautiful cascading water feature down the stairs.

“Plus I just watered a horse, for the sheer hell of it.”
Next year you'll all be complaining that your garden has dried up, and you can't wash your car because of a hosepipe ban.

Weather goes in cycles ........... wet, dry, wet ............... hot, cold, hot. I'm pleased it's not the same every year.
>> Next year you'll all be complaining that your garden has dried up, and you can't
>> wash your car because of a hosepipe ban.

If it's dry, my body car stays clean and I don't wash it for weeks..
>> If it's dry, my body car stays clean and I don't wash it for
>> weeks..
>>

I don't wash my car for weeks anyway.
 rotten lousy weather - zookeeper

>> Weather goes in cycles ........... wet, dry, wet ............... hot, cold, hot. I'm pleased it's
>> not the same every year.
>>

a bit like emery paper
Some great footage on BBC breakfast this morning of a (current model) TT driving through what looked like a flood in a dip in the road near a Shell garage - the water was up over the bonnet and he just ploughed on through!
 rotten lousy weather - Manatee
You do wonder what some people keep between their ears. Company car I expect. They are tougher than other cars. Mine used to be anyway.
Nice weather here yesterday dull today.Carried the granddaughter about yesterday I'm getting old she was heavy.Talking to a chap in a VW Campervan in excellent condition.He was on his travels from Glasgow I could only just understand him.>:) Fit bloke 76 years.The van was build in 1986 he bought it from new TDI 48 mpg.He was making his way to Plymouth.

>>He was making his way to Plymouth<<

He'd better keep his eyes on it then, and be careful where he parks up at night!
He told me he never parks at any campsites Dog.Retail car parking free toilet and a shower in the sport center.Typical Scot.>:)
I had the same model as this camper van, but with the Mercedes engine:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYMER-554-Peugeot-2-5-TDI-LHD-Motorhome-/271013620873?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item3f19abac89

I used to park up anywhere, even when by myself, I used to batten down the hatches at night though.

I would often park up here just above where my friend Laurie used to live goo.gl/maps/1Pak

Very peaceful to wake up to that every morning :)
Lovely area Dog,looks peacefull.You miss your friend Laury don't you. A good mate of mine Jan haven't seen him for a long time.He moved away from Rotterdam we grew up together.He had a Cafe and then went in the car bussiness I believe.You waking up in a campervan by yourself Dog? >:)
Why don't you buy this Dutchie, so you can take Diana orf to the moors at the weekends:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-HYMER-NOVA-540-4-BERTH-/320789435425?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item4ab08a5421
Nice Caravan Dog.I was thinking of renting a campervan for a week see what its like.Diana likes the hotel comforts,we often go away for a couple of days.She has booked a few days
days in Scarborough.We take the wheelchair for me to push.No wonder I'm losing wait.>)

Son is coming back in September he be living in London back to the hustle and bustle every six weeks.We are not far off the Yorkshire moors lovely area.
Yeah, its not everyone's cup of tea Dutchie, to be perfectly honest I preferred it when I was on my own,
its only a very small space after all, be OK cooped up with a youngen for the weekend though!

rotten lousy weather - Dave_
When I hit retirement age (old enough to slow down but young enough to keep going for a bit longer) I want to get a motorhome and just go for a drive. For a year or two, spend a few days exploring every county in the UK, or even take in all of Europe.
Sounds good to me Dave, a lot of people do that, we lived in our Hymer when we came back from Tenerife.

Not a lot of fun in the winter though, particularly the condensation, but we had heating, and a telly, what more does one want :)

The ideal would be to 'do' this country from spring to autumn, then sod off to southern €urope for winter.

I well remember when we were waiting for the ferry in Cadiz to take us to Tenerife, and seeing a quite elderly couple with their Transit motorhome doing the same journey, boy did they have big smiles on their faces!
Latest Forum Posts