Non-motoring > Expensive emulsion - worth the money? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 17

Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - Dave
We have none of the usual brands here, just the own brand shed stuff, and the more expensive speciality shops. The shed stuff is less than half the price, but the selection is limited to a small range of colours. The expensive places obviously have a whole folder full of colour swabs, and will mix whatever you want.

I used the expensive paint in one room, and the cheapo in another. To my untrained eye, there didn't seem to be any difference either in the consistency or covering power. Bearing in mind were only talking about neutral colours going on top of neutral colours. And it's not like it's subjected to weather or abrasion.

So is there actually a difference?
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - MD
Yes with some and no with others. You can never tell their covering power until you're into the tin. Sorry can't be more help.
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - Dog
>>So is there actually a difference?<<

Yes, the price! :)

You pay for the name when using Dulux/Crown etc. - somebody has to pay for all that advertising.

I prefer Crown (Danish owned, others prefer Dulux (AkzoNobel) you pays your money and takes your choice.

Maybe your shed stuff will fade quicker, but the even Dulux 'brilliant white were had up for that recently:

goo.gl/mB1ZR Link to popular newspaper ;)
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - sherlock47
Our local Dulux 'trade' centre sells a brand 'Gliddens' apparently from the ICI stable. The emulsion seems to be a compromise on cost and appears to do the job. No expensive consumer advertising to fund :)

Any trade comments?
www.icipaints.co.uk/products/gliddentrade/index.jsp

Gliddens never been any good in our book.
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - CGNorwich
The big advantage of Dulux and Crown paint is the range of colours and the fact that you will always be able to replicate the colour. Just remember to keep a note of the name and number. If you choose to paint your walls in Homebase Daffodil Pink and in three years time want to freshen up the paintwork you will be out of luck
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - Robin O'Reliant
>> If you choose to paint your walls in Homebase Daffodil Pink and in three years time want to freshen up the paintwork you
>> will be out of luck
>>
Tell me about it :-(
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - R.P.
Used B&Q Magnolia to paint the last gaff before selling. Covered as good as any of the top notch stuff I used before. Much cheaper. No brainer.
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - Zero
Ater 30 years of DIY I have accepted that Dulux as always consistently provided the best paint for DIY use. Certainly wouldn't consider any of the shed home grown brands for exterior masonry paint.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 1 Jul 12 at 17:06
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - zookeeper
i did my whole flat with the bog standard b&q white emulsion , two coats covered well ....didnt realise till after that i had floaters in my eyes from staring at white walls ( not a serious condition... bits of protein in the eye fluid)
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - Ted
We've found an extremely good decorator.....I can't be arrassed now, " It is the duty of the wealthy man, etc ". Our whole house apart from the parlour and bathroom is done in cream emulsion on recently skimmed walls.

He recommended using ' hotel strength ' scrubbable paint. SWM went and bought it at the very good local indy so he had no axe to grind about making a few quid on it.

Ted
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - Manatee
We once bought some very cheap white emulsion that bore no resemblance to proper stuff. It took coat after coat to cover anything, and flaked afterwards. I'm pretty sure it was the B&Q value range, but it was a long time ago so not necessarily applicable now.

Funnily enough there's a write up here that says, inter alia, that B&Q Value is "as good as milk" i.e. not very, for painting with.

fletcherdecor.com/helpful-tips-for-diyers/what-are-the-bestworst-brands-of-paint/
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - Roger.
It's the titanium dioxide wot costs in paint. It whitens and adds depth to the base onto which the tints are imposed.
More Ti 02= more cover of the previous paint.
Last edited by: Roger on Sun 1 Jul 12 at 20:25
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - NortonES2
Reminded me of a holiday job: adding titanium whatsit to make emulsion. Along with ammonia and some vinyl stuff. Initiation by giving me a tin of ammonia to sniff...
Used to buy MacPherson paints, but don't see it about now. So it's either Dulux or Crown. Don't want to do it twice.
MacPherson emulsion has been ok.
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - Dulwich Estate
Whatever the brand my emulsion paint finish always seems to look patchy when viewed from the side. It never used to in the past. It's either new paint formulations or more likely my dodgy application as it seems to dry too quickly.
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - Zero
I always do two coats, 24 hours apart.
 Expensive emulsion - worth the money? - Clk Sec
>> I always do two coats, 24 hours apart.

Two coats for me if applied by roller, or one if I use a brush. Cheap emulsion, in my experience, is a waste of money.

I do quite a lot of decorating and always use Dulux.
Latest Forum Posts