Non-motoring > At loose end in the Risley area Miscellaneous
Thread Author: DeeW Replies: 21

At loose end in the Risley area - DeeW
If at a loose end in Warrington, without a car during the day, is there anything entertaining to do? Sure one of you locals will be able to suggest something!
 At loose end in the Risley area - rtj70
Visit someone in the remand centre ;-)

You mention Risley in the thread and Warrington in the message body. Which is it? A bit of distance between the two.

There's a shopping centre at Birchwood which is not far from Risley.... and there's a train station at Birchwood to get somewhere else.
 At loose end in the Risley area - Zero
>> Visit someone in the remand centre ;-)

Grissly Risley as its known
Birchwood to Manchester is about 25 minutes with no changes... there's one option.
We are driving up in the morning so I can be dropped somewhere for the day while the driver goes on to a meeting/work in Risley .... not at HM's pleasure ;-) as far as I know! Just seeing whether I need to pack a good book or is there somewhere interesting to see? Shopping not really my 'thing' ...
I'd say there's not much at Risley to spend the day doing. But Manchester isn't far away on the train from Birchwood.

The traffic out of the industrial estate/offices area where you're other half is probably heading can get very busy at the end of the day. I know because we have an office in Risley.
 At loose end in the Risley area - Robbie34
He's probably going to the atomic energy place at Risley, and apart from the remand centre there isn't much else.

Warrington town centre is probably the nearest place of interest, but Manchester would be better depending upon how much time you have.
There's quite a few offices in the area of Risley and include: Carphonewarehouse, HP, Fujitsu, etc. and the atomic place you speak of. The first nuclear reactor was built in the vicinity and they did weapon design there too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universities_Research_Reactor

Okay it was a small reactor :-)
 At loose end in the Risley area - Ted

The village of Culcheth, just a short distance north of HMP on the main road is a pleasant little place with one or two eateries and some nice shops.

We did a classic car show last year on the village green for the Culcheth festival.

Ted

tinyurl.com/brwl86l

Ted
 At loose end in the Risley area - Kevin
>There's quite a few offices in the area of Risley and include: Carphonewarehouse, HP,
>Fujitsu, etc. and the atomic place you speak of.

They really need a "Tourist Information" site don't they?

;-)
 At loose end in the Risley area - Zero
If its labour council they probably have an office, tourist officer and five staff.
The main area now is really Birchwood - and I dislike it a lot to be honest. Have to go there every now and then and it's not far to travel so could be worse*. Culceth looks a nice place but I only ever go through it when avoided holdups on M62/M60/M6 etc and end up crossing the Warburton toll bridge.

Back to the original question - if it's all day try Manchester?

* Was in Telford today.... does that have a centre. I seemed to end up in the centre and it looked like the middle of nowhere town wise to me. No real town centre?
I love you all and the inference that it is an 'other half' or 'he' - I am, of course, not saying ;-)

Looks like Ted's village is close and pleasant if fine. If you are driving through on Tuesday, Rob, I'll be the windswept blonde. Unless a better suggestion appears?
If wet, perhaps Manchester. Mind you, last time I tried to visit Manchester someone set off a bomb ....

Depending on timings, you could always be dropped off at the IKEA (also an M&S next to it) and take back some furniture. The first IKEA in the UK I believe.

If you brought children then there's always:

www.gulliversfun.co.uk/warrington

No idea what is there to be honest. Probably carp.

Trafford Centre is not far but you don't like shopping but there's restaurants and cinema.

Or just stay at home. I'd do that instead of going to Risley!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 30 Jun 12 at 00:27
Been there - 20 years ago - have IKEA in Southampton too... but if all else fails ....

Good suggestion IF there were children involved ;-)

Absolutely no chance of staying at home, road trip in nice car with someone I like and two days in Staffordshire and only one north of Risley ...
Last edited by: DeeW on Sat 30 Jun 12 at 00:43
 At loose end in the Risley area - Manatee
>> I love you all and the inference that it is an 'other half' or 'he'
>> - I am, of course, not saying ;-)

My recommendation of the bar in the Arndale Market applies either way!

From the GBG:

"Boggart Hole Clough Brewery's only outlet, this innovative market bar ...is still one of the smallest around. Friendly bar staff dispense the Newton Heath Brewery's many ales, plus guests from all over the country and real cider, on five handpumps. An impressive selection of domestic and international bottles also attracts regular custom. ...well worth a visit."

You can also get a variety of comestibles in numerous international styles, for the other half of lunch, within about thirty paces of the bar. Or you can take your sandwiches.

The Good Beer Guide always lives in the car with the road atlas. Though unlike the road atlas, it might in future be replaced by an electronic substitute. The GBG iPhone app is cheaper and faster to use.
 At loose end in the Risley area - Manatee
If its hours, train to Manchester sounds a good option!

I'd be having a part-liquid lunch at the Micro Bar in the Arndale Market ;-) About 15 minutes stroll from Piccadilly station.

Lots of trendier hanging out places in that area to sit with a coffee and a book, and interesting to explore - quite trendy now.
 At loose end in the Risley area - borasport
not 'entertaining', but certainly interesting, if it's what floats your boat

tinyurl.com/7yqp5r3
Well, so far still in Tamworth using Costa Wifi .....
Journey here fun but very tiring yesterday in the rain, but did enjoy reactions of 'modern car' drivers when they realised our acceleration was better than theirs (yes, you Ford man, trying to speed up to block us on the slip way) - it may be an old girl but was built as a racing car after all. (hehehe) Hopefully we will get the lid off today on our way north.
So no time for Manchester, possibly the garden centre at Risley - I am told it is 'the best in the north' for a coffee or I will be dropped off round Holmes Chapel or Congleton - think staying in Sandbach tonight ....
Sandbach and Congleton are busier places with more shops/restaurants.
Holmes Chapel is nice but a one street town, couple of good pubs and the usual ' Spar ' type shop in a little shopping centre with a few others. We weekend near there in our caravan.

It's one place I would quite happily live in, though. Pubs, church, most of your everyday shopping needs and a railway station with a good service to Manchester.

You'll be in Britain's finest county ( After Lancashire ) even Grisley Risley is in Cheshire !

Ted
Thank you for the input on my day ;-)
Eventually we were held up in Tamworth so up to Risley via Birchwood and can concur with the various opinions given. Had a couple of coffees etc in Risley then off to Holmes Chapel briefly to look at Brereton Hall then on to Congleton and to stay in a remote pub nearish Macclesfield after dinner with old friends.
Cannot believe that after three days of rain, I have a sunny evening here now I am home. We only had the lid off the car once in three days, for less than 20 minutes and got wet then!
Latest Forum Posts