Non-motoring > The Queen to Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 30

The Queen to - MD
...meet Martin McGuinness. Can't find the words to describe my feelings really.
 The Queen to - R.P.
I think the Republicans will find it even more difficult to swallow - but they'll grind their teeth in the interests of political progress. As Churchill said "Jaw Jaw is better than War War" all in the name of peace and reconciliation and if it stops senseless killing...
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 22 Jun 12 at 21:29
 The Queen to - Lygonos
Welcome to the chess game of politics, in which the Queen is simply a pawn.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 22 Jun 12 at 21:18
 The Queen to - Zero
There is peace in the place. Don't care how it was achieved, its better than 30 years of civil war.
 The Queen to - Robin O'Reliant
Times change, you have to move with them.
 The Queen to - MD
WILL it change. I am not confident. The 'Troubles' are starting again. Leopards etc.....
 The Queen to - Roger.
Well - at least she will probably be wearing gloves.
Last edited by: Roger on Fri 22 Jun 12 at 21:31
 The Queen to - R.P.
Remember the British contribution to the history of Ireland is pretty grim. Nothing to boast about.
 The Queen to - Roger.
Yeah - there would have been peace, too, if we'd let Adolph Hitler have his way.
 The Queen to - R.P.
So what would be your solution Roger ?
 The Queen to - Roger.
>> So what would be your solution Roger ?
To the Northern Ireland thing?
I really don't know.
It was never a truly religious war, though, but an inter tribal conflict with the "religion" labels being applied as badges to differentiate the opposing peoples.
It still grates with me that murdering bar-stewards such as McGuiness and the hairy one, Adams, can be considered respectable enough to mingle in polite society.
Mind you that precedent was set years ago with Nelson Mandela and Menachem Begin achieving so-called respectability after terrorist crimes.
Politics is and always has been, a dirty game.
 The Queen to - Dog
>>Politics is and always has been, a dirty game<<

In politics nothing is contemptible.
~ B. Disraeli.
 The Queen to - Robin O'Reliant
While not condoning many of the methods used by the IRA, the treatment of Catholics in Northern Ireland _ which was ignored by the Westminster government despite them knowing exactly what was going on - made a violent rebellion understandable and inevitable.
 The Queen to - CGNorwich
>> There is peace in the place. Don't care how it was achieved, its better than
>> 30 years of civil war.

A sentiment that is difficult to argue with surely. At the end of the day compromises have to be made even if they are painful. What after all was the alternative ?
 The Queen to - R.P.
Just occurred to me, only one of them is a democratically elected representative....funny thing politics.
 The Queen to - Roger.
tinyurl.com/7wmjbkf

The Queen to - Lygonos
Tebbit doesn't believe that, and neither do you/me ;-)

The Queen to - Roger.
I think the noble lord was being ironic!
 The Queen to - Meldrew
True Rob but, to be fair, only one of them is actually involved in politics and has any real influence over political matters.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sat 23 Jun 12 at 08:01
 The Queen to - L'escargot
From a newspaper ..........Lord Tebbit, whose wife Margaret was paralysed in the IRA Brighton bomb in 1984, said: “I’m glad Mr McGuinness is moving to finally acknowledge the Queen is sovereign over Northern Ireland.”

I'm glad as well.

From the same newspaper .......... Tory MP Andrew Rosindell added: “McGuinness was part of an organisation that murdered a member of her family. The Queen must be a very forgiving person.”

I'm sure she is a very forgiving person. All credit to her for being so.
 The Queen to - Roger.
Has she forgiven the various politicos who put her in the invidious position of giving Royal Assent to acts of Parliament which have substantially reduced the sovereignty of the country she swore to defend?
 The Queen to - Duncan
I blame Lloyd George. If he had the guts to give the whole island of Ireland independence in 1923(?) we wouldn't have had the problems that we have had over the past 90 years!
 The Queen to - NortonES2
Lloyd George had one or two problems in Ulster: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larne_gunrunning

Not sure Carson or Bonar Law were ever charged with treason though....
 The Queen to - L'escargot
>> Has she forgiven the various politicos who put her in the invidious position of giving
>> Royal Assent to acts of Parliament which have substantially reduced the sovereignty of the country
>> she swore to defend?
>>

I don't know.
 The Queen to - R.P.
www.private-eye.co.uk/

As usual a brilliant cover on this week's eye.....very funny !
 The Queen to - Dutchie
The whole of Ireland should have been independent from the UK.Agree about Mandella Roger.
 The Queen to - Bromptonaut
>> >> Has she forgiven the various politicos who put her in the invidious position of
>> giving
>> >> Royal Assent to acts of Parliament which have substantially reduced the sovereignty of the
>> country
>> >> she swore to defend?
>> >>

Given her family background she may perhaps favour shared sovereignty??
 The Queen to - zookeeper
most conflicts end up thrashing it out over table...ask my misses :)
 The Queen to - MD
Did you ever have any direct hits?
 The Queen to - R.P.
Oh well, that was a waste of time, bunch of posturing, drunken, willy waving, out of date and out of time bigots at it again, what a bunch of stupid idiots.
 The Queen to - Zero
Its marching season, the posturing drunken willy waving and reactions are pretty tame compared to past years.
Latest Forum Posts