Non-motoring > Keeping it can be harder than making it Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 19

Keeping it can be harder than making it - Iffy
Earning millions is, I imagine, not easy.

But Westlife band member Shane Filan has discovered keeping hold of the money is even harder:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18438032

Keeping it can be harder than making it - R.P.
That's why I thought at one time that Cameron was an ideal PM in these troubled times - a millionaire who managed to hang on to his money. In fairness to the Irish Warbler he tried to make his money work for him but was a victim of the crunch or bad judgement.
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - Mapmaker
>> In fairness
>> to the Irish Warbler he tried to make his money work for him but was
>> a victim of the crunch or bad judgement.

He was hoping to double his money in 12 months (I bet).
He didn't though :-) Wonder what his other debts were...?
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - Dutchie
Easy come easy go.I have nothing nothing to lose.>:)
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - John H
>> Earning millions is, I imagine, not easy.
But Westlife band member Shane Filan has discovered keeping hold of the money is even harder
>>
The BBC story was lacking in detail.

And Iffy's commentary on it was a bit, to say the least, misleading - but to be expected from a journo. ;-)

Millions were never earnt, they were borrowed. Hence the question of "keeping hold of the money" he had never earnt in the first place could not arise.

more details here:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2159045/

".... Shane and his brother Finbarr had borrowed millions from several banks in their native Ireland.

Their company Shafin developments had taken out a series of large loans to construct a 90-home estate in Dromahair, Co.Leitrim.

However, out of the 90 houses planned, only half of them were actually constructed - with many selling for less than they had cost to build.

Filan is just the latest celebrity to go bust due to property debts.

Many footballers, in particular, have been caught out as new developments have been left empty due to the slump in house prices.

Jason Euell, 33, who earned £6million over his career, which started at Wimbledon, but suffered from the collapse of a property investment and was declared bankrupt.

Others invested their money in films, largely because of the tax breaks, but these high-risk punts have failed to pay off.

Former England player and Aston Villa favourite Lee Hendrie was declared bankrupt in January after film and property investments failed.

The 34-year-old, who earned £24,000 a week at the peak of his career, owed HM Revenue & Customs £200,000 in unpaid tax.

He had unsuccessfully tried to sell his £1.7million home in Solihull but officials discovered in any case that the mortgage exceeded the property's value.

Grant Bovey, husband of TV presenter Anthea Turner and failed buy-to-let investor, was discharged from bankruptcy last year - just a year after his property company collapsed with debts of £50m. "
Plenty of empty houses in Ireland when we were there a couple of months ago - okay swathes of new developments. I reckon there are some bargains to be had if one was minded...
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - Stuu
Seems his problem was he didnt spread his risks. Id have not put money in a Euro country anyway unless it was something I wasnt looking to make anything on, more of a speculative punt for fun.

Also borrowing doesnt make you rich, it just gets you on the hook to alot of people. Chris Rock did a little piece some years ago about people being rich as opposed to wealthy and he had a point.
Those people who's families have steady good fortune are those that look very long term and go for steady, safe returns rather than get rich quick, loose it the next day types.
Any fool can make money, hanging onto it is a different skill altogether.
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - Iffy
...Millions were never earnt, they were borrowed. Hence the question of "keeping hold of the money" he had never earnt in the first place could not arise...

The band earned an estimated £30m-plus, so one could expect Shane Filan's share to be in the millions.

This fits, because the banks would be unlikely to lend him £5m unless he was bringing a substantial amount to the table.

Thus he has lost all the money he earned from the band, and is now unable to repay that which he borrowed.
Probably fell for the blood is thicker than water. I take no delight in Westlife's singing, but they made it, they're certainly better than what passes for pop these days thanks to that odious Cowell and his little side-kicks. He's worked hard to get where he's got and one has to feel a pang of sympathy. He certainly has more about him than most footballers.
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - Fenlander
>>>certainly better than what passes for pop these days thanks to that odious Cowell and his little side-kicks.

Cowell is only behind one act in the current top 40 and those acts he controls are not completely representative of current pop in general. Many folks in the business have been working away to get a body of work/ability together before they get anywhere near the charts. It's just the Cowell artists get their pictures in the Daily Mail more!
I watched Graham Norton the other night just to cop a listen to Ross Noble - he was accompanied by some untalented woman who was obviously some type of female yob, singing and prancing about braying some unfathomable nonsense in a voice that sound that was about to break.....awful.
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - PhilW
"awful"
She was even worse on the bit of the Jubilee concert I saw. Poor lass just can't sing. In contrast, in same concert, I'm no fan of Tom Jones but he at least can sing - could have been a damned good blues/rock singer if he hadn't got the Vegas disease/money.
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - Fullchat
Wasn't it Cheryl Cole? Not that I would know.

And on the subject of celebs. I watched a bit of a re-run of the Jubilee concert outside `the Palace with Thomas Jones, Robbie Williams et al. Was that Mark Knopfler strumming his stuff nearby? Looked a bit like him but Specsavers is calling.
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - Fenlander
>>>Cheryl Cole

Ahh Cheryl... not a singer at all of course.
I wouldn't mind having a coffee with her.>:)
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - bathtub tom
What would you talk about? Vacuous cleaners?
I might ask her to sing me a bedtime song.>:)
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - Lygonos
She'd need you to provide a microphone...
 Keeping it can be harder than making it - Fullchat
Yellow card! :))
Latest Forum Posts