Non-motoring > Dupuytren's Contracture. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 11

Dupuytren's Contracture. - L'escargot
I've been told this morning by my GP that the nodules I have under the skin in similar positions on the palms of both hands are more than likely the initial stage of Dupuytren's Contracture. My GP said that nothing needed to be done at this stage and that I should come back again when, and if, I could no longer straighten out my hand(s) completely. I'd be grateful to hear any experiences of this condition, either personal or of a friend/colleague/relation. Of particular interest would be (a) the rate of progression ~ what time elapsed after the nodules were first noticed before treatment was necessary, (b) what was the treatment and was it successful, (c) were there any side effects of the treatment (permanent pain etc) and did the condition return at any time after the treatment.
 Dupuytren's Contracture. - teabelly
www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dupuytrens-contracture/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Lots of info. Mentions some non surgical intervention with an injection that breaks down the nodules. That sounds worth a go first.
>> www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dupuytrens-contracture/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Thanks, teabelly. I was pleased to see that it said ~ "Many cases of Dupuytren's contracture are mild and don't need treatment." Only time will tell.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 12 Jun 12 at 07:10
 Dupuytren's Contracture. - Lygonos
Progression would be measured in months or years. Some people don't really progress other than to palm nodules. It can be surprisingly annoying having your pinkie/ring finger unable to straighten - common complaints are poking yourself in the eye while washing your face, and catching your trousers trying to put your hand in your pocket (less common in Scotland...)

Treatment is generally surgical, and best put off until the contracture is complete - if you fix it while it is still active you simply end up with a further contracture. Success rates are high although a partial recurrence or failure to fully restraighten are fairly common.

There is an association between DC and either alcohol excess or having viking ancestry (many people have neither of course).

I believe there is also an association with Peyronie's Disease - somewhat less fun I imagine.

EDIT - good luck with getting the injections - these are fairly new ('Xiapex' aka collagenase) and cost £700 per injection - with several usually being required for each hand.

I'd personally wait a couple of years before considering the injections just to let some other guinea-pigs try it first - but then I don't trust doctors or drug companies.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 11 Jun 12 at 14:38
 Dupuytren's Contracture. - bathtub tom
Can't answer all your questions Le's, but I've known a couple of people with this and the surgery was completely unsuccessful, though in both cases they'd admit it was through not following the physiotherapy exercises.

Peyronie's disease:
When a man rows old, & his balls grow cold
And the tip of his prick turns blue,
It bends in the middle like a 1 string fiddle........................

Although I understand the ladies find it a novelty.
 Dupuytren's Contracture. - R.P.
My dad has had it done to both hands....one three years ago, the other quite a few years before - both now seem ok.

The only side effect was that he was unable to play the piano after the op. As he says hasn't effected him as he couldn't before either !
 Dupuytren's Contracture. - commerdriver
I also have the condition, first diagnosed about 18 years ago, progress v slow, left hand index finger no longer in line with others but not a problem yet, right hand currently still folds etc on palm.
Late mother had severe DC on one hand but didn't really cause any problems as part of life.

No experience of treatment as I have not had mine treated yet, advice was same as yours & already given, doing it too early will result in in happening again.

For me it has not been and is not a problem & don't expect to need any treatment for at least another 10 years
 Dupuytren's Contracture. - Stevek100
I suffer from this in both little fingers. Left hand had two surgical operations but it returned within 3 years. Has a Xiapex injection at Xmas last and its much better though I can feel the tendon thickening again.
My right little finger will be treated with injection in the next month or so.

My Mother suffers from this quite badly but has a fear of operations so puts up with it.

I think the injections are good.
 Dupuytren's Contracture. - Alastairw
A guy I know at choir had the surgery for this at Christmas. In and out in a day, on the NHS. His surgeon was the acknowledged expert on hands in the NorthWest apparently. He is based at Wythenshaw, so gets plenty of practice patching up local fight victims, or so my friend said.
 Dupuytren's Contracture. - Avant
I had something similar in about 1990 - little finger of left hand - although I don't remember it being given a name that sounds like some 19th century mechanical invention. It was operated on as a day case and has been fine ever since, touch wood.
Thanks for all your replies. I feel a lot better about it now.
 Dupuytren's Contracture. - Meldrew
Doesn't add much but another source says

1. Unknown cause but family history is relevant
2. Not occupational or caused by trauma
3. More common in men and after age 40
4. Risk factors are diabetes, alcohol and smoking
Latest Forum Posts