Non-motoring > The rain it raineth every day Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 52

The rain it raineth every day - Dog
Could I have some advice please on tyres for use in these conditions: flic.kr/p/ccyi6C

Should I be using Summer tyres?, Winter tyres?, or would I be better orf with a ride-on lawnmower!

The rain it raineth every day - CGNorwich
The rain it raineth every day
Upon the just and unjust fellah.
But more upon the just because,
The unjust hath the just's umbrella.
This is where I got it from CG, my Sister sent me that postcard a few years ago.

www.penleehouse.org.uk/artists/norman-garstin.html
Nice picture Dog

Quote is from Twelfth Night

When that I was a little tiny boy,
With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,
A foolish thing was but a toy,
For the rain it raineth every day.

But when I came to man's estate,
'Gainst knaves and thieves men shut their gate,

But when I came, alas! to wive,
By swaggering could I never thrive,

But when I came unto my beds,
With toss-pots still had drunken heads,

A great while ago the world begun,
But that's all one, our play is done,
And we'll strive to please you every day.

The rain it raineth every day - Cliff Pope
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in,
But the holes are small, so the rain comes thin.
I'm fixing the hole where the rain gets in, it stops my mind from wandering.
 The rain it raineth every day - L'escargot
Any tyres will be OK providing you don't drive like a lunatic! For extra safety you could mount a leaf blower onto the front of your vehicle.
 The rain it raineth every day - Zero
Forget the tyres, buy a tripod with a spirit level for the camera.

Then buy some Uniroyal rain experts like what I have. They match the lancer well and they are great in the wet.
I feel comfortable with the leaf blower idea actually.

:)
 The rain it raineth every day - Pat
Can you get that weather sorted out please Dog, we'll be on our way down a week tomorrow;)

Pat
Tomorrow ~ oh no! www.bbc.co.uk/weather/pl30

Still plenty of peeps about though, I did a 2 hour walk yesterday (3 hours for the average bear) and the amount of emmetts (I can tell they be outsiders by their topboxes!) going to the Eden was amazing.

I do road walking so have to fight em orf, if you happen to see a raving looney with beard and unkempt (and uncut!) hair frog marching his poor 12 year old mutt around near the Eden, it'll most likely be me.

You can recognise me by my legs!
 The rain it raineth every day - Pat
>>on our way down a week tomorrow<<

Note to self Dog: Do not speed read!

Won't be going near the Eden Project but we'll be at Duloe at daybreak on midsummers day:)

Pat
>>we'll be at Duloe at daybreak on midsummers day:)<<

That'll be nice m8 - Enjoy!
 The rain it raineth every day - BiggerBadderDave
It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men! Amen!
I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely soaking wet!
It's Raining Men! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Men! Every Specimen!
Tall, blonde, dark and lean
Rough and tough and strong and mean
 The rain it raineth every day - Focusless
Count yourselves lucky - I'm taking son to Download festival at Donnington tomorrow...
 The rain it raineth every day - Dutchie
We need the rain Focus.I hope it is dry for you tomorrow and you have a good day with your son.
 The rain it raineth every day - bathtub tom
I'm marshalling Sunday.

I've had to use waterproofs for every event this year. Reckon I'll replace them due to erosion.
 The rain it raineth every day - Bromptonaut
Going to Download for the day Focus or stopping?

Took my lad and two mates on Wednesday. Allow plenty of time for travel, it took us well over an hour from joining the queue at J23A to getting to the drop off. Another hour or so after for them to get through entry controls.

They're camping in a mudbath and it's too wet/windy to use his trangia. Cold and wet but happily anticipating Nightwish and Mettalica tonight. Declined the offer of a 'mercy dash' with dry clothes and sleeping bag and determined to hang on for Sabbath on Sunday!!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 8 Jun 12 at 15:00
>> Going to Download for the day Focus or stopping?

Thanks for the advice Bromps (and thanks Dutchie). Stepson's band (Sylosis) are playing on the Pepsi stage Saturday night and he's got us day tickets, although TBH it's son who wants to go - I'd be quite happy staying at home in the dry!

Driving and parking (£20) - will allow plenty of time. Getting out of the car park/mudbath might take a while as well...
 The rain it raineth every day - crocks
>> Getting out of the car park/mudbath might take a while as well...

I went to the F1 Grand Prix there in 1993. The intermittent rain made the racing amazing but the carparks were turned to quagmires and the cars took hours to get out even with the help of tractors.

I hope it has improved since then!
 The rain it raineth every day - bathtub tom
>>I went to the F1 Grand Prix there in 1993.

Amazing race. Can anyone remember how many tyre changes (wet/dry/wet/dry) Prost made?
 The rain it raineth every day - crocks
A report of the race here -
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_European_Grand_Prix

Just reading the list of drivers brings back so many memories including the new boy Barrichello running second in a Jordan, from 12th on the grid.

And the answer to your question is 7.
 The rain it raineth every day - Dave_
>> Allow plenty of time for travel, it took us well over an hour from joining the queue at J23A

They closed the slip road at j23a this afternoon because the car park queue was tailing back onto the main M1. Didn't matter, the queue ended up back to j22 anyway - I got stuck coming out of Leicester the back way trying to avoid joining at j21 northbound because everyone else had the same idea.

Definitely tack a couple of hours' queueing time onto your planned journey, then you won't be stressed about getting in on time.

I can hear Download from here when the wind's in the right direction.
 The rain it raineth every day - Number_Cruncher
>>I can hear Download from here when the wind's in the right direction.

I too can hear it, but, only when the wind is in the wrong direction!
>> Count yourselves lucky - I'm taking son to Download festival at Donnington tomorrow...

It was dry! And not too bad getting in - son only got back from school trip to Italy late Friday night so we didn't set off until after 11. M40/M42 a bit busy but moving fine, and no queues.

We were there in time for Steel Panther on the main stage, who are an American sort of glam rock parody band with rude lyrics and between-song banter; very funny. I wasn't familiar with their material, but son was singing along to 'Asian hooker' with gusto.

View from where we were was ok - the 2 big screens either side of the stage helped:
i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/DSCF1021.jpg

We had a better view than those behind us anyway!
i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/DSCF1022.jpg

Next band was Jack Black's Tenacious D, who were also good/funny(/rude), then we headed over to the Pepsi Max tent for stepson's band's set. A tad muddy:
i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/DSCF1031.jpg

and although I wouldn't claim to be a big fan of their music, it was more entertaining than I was expecting:
i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/DSCF1034.jpg

By then, son's Italian escapades were catching up with him and he didn't fancy hanging around another few hours for Metallica. And I was quite happy to leave before the masses, so we were away just after 7 and home before 9.30. A pair of big wusses I'm afraid :)
 The rain it raineth every day - Bromptonaut
>> >> Count yourselves lucky - I'm taking son to Download festival at Donnington tomorrow...
>>
>> It was dry! And not too bad getting in -

The Lad's view via his twittter feed was that Tenacious D were pretty good 8/10 and Steel Panther were amazing 9/10.

Suspect he stayed at the main arena and missed your stepsons band.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 10 Jun 12 at 20:41
>> Suspect he stayed at the main arena and missed your stepsons band.

Shame; he missed a treat - "Rob Callard’s drumming is a jaw-dropping, driving piece of art with lashings of complex fills, blastbeats and kick drums that at times seem faster than the strobe lights above"

I'm just glad he doesn't practise in the house any more :)

www.downloadfestival.co.uk/reviews/article/sylosis_review
>> Could I have some advice please on tyres for use in these conditions: flic.kr/p/ccyi6C

These look good for country lanes. tinyurl.com/cjfcpah
:-)
£90! - it's a wind up, surely, I can get a complete dog (rescue) for that sort of money.
 The rain it raineth every day - madf
I'm supposed to be going beekeeping at our local Association apiary tomorrow..

Humph!
Do you fit them on the rear or front?
 The rain it raineth every day - Roger.
The rain it raineth every day and the stormy winds do blow, while we jolly sailor-men are up, up aloft and the landlubbers lying down below, below, below!
Yo ho ho and a gottle of gear.
The rain it raineth every day - until September: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluub4nv9Y0
We need the rain - allegedly.
 The rain it raineth every day - madf
>> We need the rain - allegedly.
>>

Speak for where you live Roger.

We have had a surplus all year...I was reduced to digging out the storm drains on the road above us to ensure the rainwater would not flood into our drive which it does when we get more than 10mms in an hour.
Severn Trent was never so short of water reserves that it introduced a hosepipe ban.
 The rain it raineth every day - Iffy
...We have had a surplus all year...

It's been chucking it down all day in Durham City.

The Olympic torch is due tomorrow - if this lot continues, I can see it being put out.

The rain it raineth every day - R.P.
Not been too bad here, it was dry enough for my morning walk - I didn't take the bike as it reckoned on being worse this afternoon, sort of dribbly rain here.
 The rain it raineth every day - PhilW
"It's been chucking it down all day in Durham City."
Yep, very odd day - at 5.30 this am sat outside as sun came up having cup of tea in E Mids. Drove up to Newcastle - pouring rain from Doncaster onwards. Got soaked and freezing cold walking in Newcastle (everyone dressed in winter gear and waterproofs there which is unusual in Newcastle even in winter!). Heavy rain back down to Wetherby area where it was sunny - outside temp went from 9 deg to 21. Tempestuous thunderstorm, visibility down to virtually zero near Retford. Sun out again in E Midlands, had a wander in garden until next tempest. Just stopped pouring down now - 3 hours later.
Where is summer?
= = = > Where is summer? < = = =

Ere ~ www.cyprus-weather.org/
 The rain it raineth every day - devonite
Here!!

tinyurl.com/cu5qu43
Por favor Señor.
>> The rain it raineth every day - until September: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluub4nv9Y0
>>

That was until September 1966, not 2012.
;-)
Déjà vu Monsieur L'escargot.
"That was until September 1966, not 2012"

1966?? Don't think so - must have been '61 or '62ish surely?
Remember listening to it on my first tranny radio which, come to think of it was pretty expensive - about £14 I think - a Sobell(?). Lot of money in those days - my Dad even came with me to buy it to make sure I wasn't wasting money - bought from savings from a whole Summer's job!
 The rain it raineth every day - Ted

Number one hit single in 1961. Also, the title of her autobiography.

Ted
 The rain it raineth every day - helicopter
Summer is here in Crete, even in the mountains yesterday it was well over 30 degrees....

Aircon on in the car yesterday and bedroom last night , very windy today and the nearest beach is like a gritblaster but the temperature still 28 degrees....

So we are heading off to another sheltered beach for a swim and a massage. from a German lady who has a palm fronded cabin hidden amongst the trees.

Life is hard. :0)
Last edited by: retpocileh on Sat 16 Jun 12 at 09:23
 The rain it raineth every day - R.P.
Nothing more that I would crave in circumstances like that is 24 hours of horizontal Welsh rain....wanna swap ?
 The rain it raineth every day - Runfer D'Hills
Exactly one week ago, at this very moment, I was snorkelling in 29C off a deserted beach in Cyprus having driven there across dirt roads in a beaten up but perfectly serviceable old Vitara soft top. Today, I have to go to a Halfords in the rain to buy a dog guard for my wife's car.

Yin and yang I suppose.
Ted, I think you are confusing it with "Walking Back to Happiness" which was indeed number 1 in 1961 and the title of her autobiography.
"Ted, I think you are confusing it with "Walking Back to Happiness" which was indeed number 1 in 1961 and the title of her autobiography."
And me - based on fact that I only recall one Helen Shapiro song!
>> "That was until September 1966, not 2012"
>>
>> 1966?? Don't think so - must have been '61 or '62ish surely?

You're right.
According to Wikipedia "British singer Helen Shapiro covered the song for her 1964 album Helen Hits Out."
According to my copy of Guinness World Records British Hit Singles 15th Edition, Helen Shapiro's version was never in the top 40. It was 13 weeks at position 3 for Carole King in 1962.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 16 Jun 12 at 10:07
Latest Forum Posts