Non-motoring > The value of the British Passport Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 18

The value of the British Passport - Stuu
My new brother-in-law who is over in the uk with my sister this month was talking to me about immigration in Austrailia where they live. he was talking about the problems with what he called 'boat people' arriving all the time and it being a big thing there and likened it to our issues with those who stow away on lorries to get into the uk.

Anyhow, he was talking about getting dual-citizenship in the future and my sister doing the same. I asked him if there was any advantage to this and he said that a British passport is THE one to get as it makes it much easier to get into alot of countries, more so than an Austrailian one which suprised me. I should explain that he is Asian, born and raised in India but a long time OZ citizen and holds a OZ passport.
He said that even on his OZ passport he nearly always gets stopped and did so on leaving there to come over to the UK, he thinks because his wife ( my sister ) is white and there is an automatic assumption something dodgy is going on.
His family live all over the world and he said he has been told that if he has the chance, getting a British passport will make is life alot easier.

It was a very enlightening conversation, brilliant guy too I must add - a half indian, half OZ accent is ever so strange when you first hear it!
 The value of the British Passport - Perky Penguin
I am not quite sure what you mean by "Get Stopped" Stu! I get stopped 100% of the time, it is called passport control and there is a 100% check. Some times a non-UK/EU passport might be easier - the queues are often a lot shorter!
 The value of the British Passport - BiggerBadderDave
I used to date an Indian girl who was raised in Australia. The exotic beauty of an Indian girl with a thick Aussie accent - well weird.
 The value of the British Passport - Zero
If he is planning on coming over here and paying taxes here, then yes give him a british passport. If he is planning on living in Australia and paying Aussie taxes - well he can get stuffed and it should be refused.

What a cheek.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 3 May 10 at 02:04
The right to hold a British Passport is determined by birth and/or parentage and has nothing to do with where one lives or where one pays taxes. It isn't cheek - it is the law!
He is not british by parentage or birth. Merely by marriage. He is an Australian, and therefore should not have a British passport. The idea of "dual nationality" is an insult to one of your chosen countries and should not be allowed. Its not allowed in the US.

Yes, but one can legally acquire British Citizenship by marriage and dual citizenship is legal and not an insult to anybody SFAIK.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 19:23
Its an insult to me, why should someone be given the privilages and protection of a British passport with none of the moral or financial responsibility that goes with it?
OK YOU feel insulted, does anybody else? Get the law changed or accept it. There is a general election soon and you can make your views known! BTW, ask the boating couple kidnapped in Somalia what "Protection" and benefit their UK passports have given them!
Well, it wasnt me getting stopped so until I see him again I cant ask, but from the way he said it, I think he meant being taken aside and questioned.

He was thinking of dual-citizenship when he comes back to live in the UK in about 5 years time when their child, who is currently on the way, is at school age ( its easier if their child starts school in the country they eventually want to live in ).
He wants to further his career with the government in OZ right now and he is well paid enough that my sister can be a stay at home mum. Apparently they get huge start-up money for a new baby over there, something like $3000 he was saying plus other things aswell.
My sister eventually wants to return to the UK but is enjoying OZ way too much atm.
he has it made, he would be daft to move to the UK. For him and the kid.
Oh he is doing well in life no doubt, but he knows that eventually my sister will miss her family and he has a fair number of his family living in the UK which he doesnt have in OZ, so I imagine that once a child comes along, the desire to be closer to family will be a big motivation as a support network isnt to be sniffed at.

You will be pleased to know he is very damming of immigrants who come here and suck up benefits as they have the same problem in OZ to an extent and he said it tars everyone with the same brush.
He is fantastically good humoured about it though - he joked that when they go back to OZ he was going to just walk straight into an interrogation room, its quicker that way!
I have no problem with imigrants. Of any creed race or colour. I just think a basic requirement is saluting your chosen flag, not hedging your bets.
Haha, saluting your flag is deemed ever so slightly racist these days, esp to Our Great Leader ;-)
damn he will be round to call me a bigot soon
You might get the Clunking Fist - he really should turn pro-wrestler, im sure he would have more success!
 The value of the British Passport - Manatee
>>not hedging your bets.

It didn't work for William Joyce, an Irishman who had American nationality and was also a naturalised German. He was convicted and hanged for treason in the United Kingdom because he had a British passport and owed allegiance to the Crown when he commenced broadcasting propaganda for the Nazis in 1939.

Not that I am suggesting anything of that kind could apply to Stu's brother in law of course.
 The value of the British Passport - John H
>> Well it wasnt me getting stopped so until I see him again I cant ask
>> but from the way he said it I think he meant being taken aside and
>> questioned.
>>
>>

Your B-i-L has got a shock coming to him if thinks he will be stoped less with a British passport. The profiling that is used at EU and US airports means that anyone of Soth Asian appearance but especially with a British passport is a suspect. Make sure your B-i-L never visits Pakistan, because if he does, his name will go on a special list and he will get stopped and searched.
With or without a British passport, your B-i-L will get special attention in London near iconic buildings if he is carrying a backpack and or a camera. that is a sure way for him tog et stopped and searched. Tell him to visit London at the weekend and try it out. He is better off staying in Oz if he wants a quiet life.
Ill pass that on to him. He is from India so I cant see any good reason he would go to Pakistan. His parents run a private english school in India so he may well go back there on occasion though.

They arent going to London AFAIK, just to a few historic places local to me as he loves old buildings and history - not alotta that in OZ by all accounts.
Latest Forum Posts