Non-motoring > More cold calls - regional accents Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 64

More cold calls - regional accents - bathtub tom
I'm renewing the house insurance and doing the comparison sites. One company chose to ignore the 'don't contact me' instruction and 'phoned:

Ins. I'm calling from the aye aye
Me. Pardon?
Ins. I'm calling from the aye aye
Me. PARDON?
Ins. I'm calling from the aye aye mon

Blooming geordies!

Similarly I called the Halifax with a query. I reckon I got a local who was about to go home - couldn't understand him at all, so I gave them up as well.
Don't they check call centre staff to see if they can be understood?
 More cold calls - regional accents - Manatee
Just had one from a solar energy pusher who was definitely from Manchester. They seem to have a lot of "home improvement" firms there, have had for a long time.
 More cold calls - regional accents - Dog
I gits fed up with these ere blimmin calls so I report em to TPS via an on-line form.

I also bawt one of these recently www.amazon.co.uk/Gigaset-Single-Cordless-Answer-Machine/dp/B004UPL11I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336927752&sr=8-4 great little cordless phone with answer-phone which I leave on todo tiempo now and if I ears a voice a know, I picks it up, like.

Cold callers can ring me all day now if they want, I ain't bovvered no more ;)
 More cold calls - regional accents - Ted

They do provide a frisson of entertainment now and again.
Got an ambulance chaser last week...I wasn't doing anything special...so...

Him 'I'm calling about your recent accident, etc ' ( After ' How are you today Edward '? ) Cheeky get !
Me ' OK, what can you do for me ?'
Him ' Get compo for you, have you been injured ? '
Me ' I cut my finger last week '
Him ' Was it bad, how did you do it ? '
Me ' Picking up some glass in the garage '
Him I'll have to get my manager '

Manager asked if I'd cut my finger off ! I said no, I just put a plaster on it and carried on.

The phone went dead on me....I wonder why.

Ted
 More cold calls - regional accents - Cliff Pope
The new line I have noticed is a hasty "I am not selling anything or trying to persuade you to change something".
 More cold calls - regional accents - Old Navy
>> The new line I have noticed is a hasty "I am not selling anything or
>> trying to persuade you to change something".
>>

Or "I am only carrying out a survey". Not with me you aren't.
 More cold calls - regional accents - henry k
>> >> The new line I have noticed is a hasty "I am not selling anything or
>> >> trying to persuade you to change something".
>> >>
>>
>> Or "I am only carrying out a survey". Not with me you aren't.
>>
This is a way of getting round TPS rules.
Surveys are exempt.
I get loads of these calls. I try to be polite and say something like*******
 More cold calls - regional accents - smokie
"Do you mind if I ask you just one question?"

"Not at all, you just did"

Click.
 More cold calls - regional accents - -
We're doing it all wrong, we should, assuming we have a while to spare, keep 'em talking as long as possible, enthusiastic about their product, then when we're flagging politely say goodbye.

Waste their time, even better with regional accents, get them to repeat everything.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 14 May 12 at 10:53
 More cold calls - regional accents - RattleandSmoke
I got a load of them after my minor accident, despite the fact I told Directline I was NOT injured in the slightest! I had a slightly stiff neck for a few hours that was it.

More cold calls - regional accents - Iffy
I don't get cold calls at home, but I do get them at work.

Irritating when you are in the middle of doing something else.

I can't be bothered to string them along, but I do put the receiver down on the desk and let them hang up in their own time.

A woman to whom I did that to a couple of weeks ago rang back and called me a 'knob'.

To which I replied: "How perceptive of you."

More cold calls - regional accents - L'escargot
>> Don't they check call centre staff to see if they can be understood?
>>

I've no doubt they can be understood in their own region. Most people who haven't had elocution lessons have a "regional accent". Perhaps I wouldn't be able to understand your accent. ;-)
Two points L'es.

1. This was a national call centre and they need to be understood all over the country.

2. I don't work in a call centre.
>> 2. I don't work in a call centre.
>>

That doesn't matter. I still might not be able to understand your accent, especially if you're tomming about in a bathtub. ;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 14 May 12 at 14:49
 More cold calls - regional accents - Armel Coussine
>> especially if you're tomming about in a bathtub. ;-)

A rich gent passed wind in his morning bath. His valet put down the towel, left the room and returned with a hot water bottle.

'What's that for, Bootle?' the rich gent enquired irritably.

'I'm sorry sir,' the valet replied. 'I thought I heard you say "IwantahotwaterbottleBootle". '

I'll get my towel.
 More cold calls - regional accents - Roger.

>> I've no doubt they can be understood in their own region. Most people who haven't
>> had elocution lessons have a "regional accent".>>

I didn't & I don't.
>> I didn't & I don't.
>>

A lot of people don't think they've got a regional accent, but in reality they have. It's only people outside their region that would notice.
 More cold calls - regional accents - Duncan
>> A lot of people don't think they've got a regional accent, but in reality they have.

Does The Queen speak with an accent, regional or otherwise?

Cos I sound just like the queen.

;-0
 More cold calls - regional accents - swiss tony
>> Does The Queen speak with an accent, regional or otherwise?
>>
>> Cos I sound just like the queen.

May I suggest you wear your pants too tight....
>>Cos I sound just like the queen<<

As long as you don't look like a queen, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

:o)
>> Does The Queen speak with an accent, regional or otherwise?

I've no doubt The Queen has had elocution lessons to remove any unattractive accent she may have had.
 More cold calls - regional accents - Roger.

>> A lot of people don't think they've got a regional accent, but in reality they
>> have. It's only people outside their region that would notice.
>>
I don't HAVE a region!
Born in Malta (Dad in the Andrew), educated all over the UK, [Public, but mostly Grammar Schools]. Lived in several different parts of the UK. Worked in several different parts of the UK.
I possess, I have been told, an unaccented voice, leaning more to received pronunciation.

More cold calls - regional accents - devonite
Twenty years from now or there abouts, the Queens English will naturally be spoken with an Asian accent! - and not because Plums have become extinct!
 More cold calls - regional accents - Zero
Not heard Bury born Asians then Devonite? Or Brummy Sikhs?
No, but I was served petrol once at a Glasgow Petrol station, by a Pakistani with a broad scotch accent! - took me by complete surprise! it just didnt fit the image my eyes were seeing!
Who can forget the 'tall guy with black, curly hair' with the unexpected accent in Porridge?
10 mins. 20 secs in: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lgxta3kraQ&feature=related
 More cold calls - regional accents - John H
Have you heard the Scottish lass who co-presents with Peter Allen on Radio-5?

This is her ( today's iPlayer episode) : www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b01hln2h

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hmxw2

More cold calls - regional accents - Londoner
>> Have you heard the Scottish lass who co-presents with Peter Allen on Radio-5?
Yes, she sounds great, doesn't she. A nice, friendly voice. Ideal for radio.
Yep! - every day: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aasmah_Mir

She rolls her Rs very nicely.

Ted
 More cold calls - regional accents - Dave_
>> by a Pakistania with a broad scotch accent

When I was doing deliveries around Birmingham every day a couple of years back, it was surprising how many newsagents I went into only to be served by an elderly Asian lady with full saree and red dot regalia and a broad Jasper Carrott/ Noddy Holder accent. Always made me smile when I came across one.
 More cold calls - regional accents - Armel Coussine
>> Asian lady with full saree and red dot regalia and a broad Jasper Carrott/ Noddy Holder accent.

The short-lived but brilliant graphic TV series Monkey Dust had a bunch of West Midland jihadis, well observed. The leader, whose father had a Bentley, affected a sinister Middle Eastern accent to utter bloodcurdling threats about the next action, but the foot soldiers all spoke in the local dialect and were very keen on watching football on TV and getting their mums to cook chicken nuggets for supper: 'Beltin', Mum!'
...an unaccented voice...

Impossible.

Received pronunciation - of which there are very few speakers - is just another accent.

More cold calls - regional accents - Runfer D'Hills
Correct Iffy, and indeed one which is relatively recent phenomenon I understand. I think I read somewhere that RP didn't really exist until the early part of the 20th century. Prior to that most people, from whatever social background, had a form of their local regional accent. Not to say, as indeed now, that some of them despite their regional linguistic characteristics, were not great and accomplished communicators.

"Talking posh" is often mistaken for a sign of intellect. I've got away with sounding like I know what I'm talking about ( albeit with a mild Edinburgh twang ) for years because of it !

:-)
..."Talking posh"...

I heard an expert point out the huntin', shootin' and fishin' of RP - or at least 'county posh' - is not so different from the bleedin' 'ell and blimmin' 'eck of the common person.

It's only us middle class idiots - who lack the confidence of either of the others - who go to the trouble of: "It must be bleeding hell going hunting and shooting in this weather."

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 16 May 12 at 15:30
>>I read somewhere that RP didn't really exist until the early part of the 20th century.

Should someone that age be allowed to drive around in a grey beemer?

;>)
Look BT, he thinks it's green and even though we can all see it's not, there's no future in upsetting him. Let him think he's right, what harm can it do? After all, he's got a little magic wand thing and we don't want him getting all unnecessary with that now do we?

More cold calls - regional accents - Mapmaker
I hate hanging up on people, but some of these callers are so persistent that the only way is to say "good bye" and hang up.

Me: No thank you I'm not interested, good bye.
Him: Why aren't you interested.
Me: Good bye
Him: but...

What else can you do?
My mum had a wicked sense of humour. When she was widowed, she decided to sell her family house and downsize into a flat. It was a very nice flat but on the second floor.

Having got fed up with being pestered incessantly by a local consevatory firm and having, she felt, told them a dozen times she lived in a flat, she eventually, when having received a number of "we're in your area and would like to come and quote" calls, she said, oh alright then, come round...

Well, she had a large balcony overlooking the street and which caught the late sun, so sitting out there later that evening she spied a van from the conservatory firm pulling up outside her block.

The guy didn't bother to come up...

More cold calls - regional accents - Fullchat
As a Sky customer get regular calls ultimately ending in them trying to flog something - aren't they all.
On the last two occassions they have rung. " Mr Fullchat?" "Yes". "Sky here how are you this evening blah blah blah." "Now before we start for data protection purposes we need to confirm a couple of security details."
Now that's where it goes downhill because there is no way I am giving them my security details because after all they have my number and they have rung me. So we have a bit of a chat about Data Protection and them trying to convince me that they are genuine (which I have no doubt they are) but they still don't get what they want.
All very polite but you can hear the frustration. Have suggested that they speak to their supervisors and arrange a masterclass on the principles of Data Protection.
 More cold calls - regional accents - Manatee
I've certainly had that experience a number of times.

"Can you confirm your address for me?"

Me: "Yes"

Silence, then after a while -

"So can you confirm your address?"

Me:"Yes, if you tell me what you think it is".

"No. I need you to confirm your address by telling me what it is".

Me: "That's not confirming. That's me giving you information. You know who I am, you called me and I answered the phone with my name. I have no idea who you are. What's your address? Before we waste any more time on this, what do you want to talk to me about anyway?

"I can't tell you that until you confirm your address".

Me: "Well we aren't going to get very far are we? Why don't you write to me? You never seem to worry about who opens the envelope, why are you so sceptical about who's answering the phone?"

"You can call us back if you like".

Me: "Yes I could, if you tell me what it's about."

"I can't do that unless you confirm your address".

Me: "Well in that case, it's been nice talking to you. Have a pleasant evening. Goodbye."

Glad it's not just me.
mega snip

>> Glad it's not just me.
>>

Sounds like the caller was Fonejacker! tinyurl.com/23t975
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 26 May 12 at 00:31
 More cold calls - regional accents - NortonES2
I think most have had the frustrating experience Manatee has described! It now seems to be cured here by the use of by an answering and screening device. Only those known to us, on a list we set, can get straight through. Cold callers being denied access (automated calls, or no name, no access) or given access conditionally, providing they give a name which is then presented for acceptance or denial. Bliss. Hopefully some grief to the PPI, MS charlatans and accident-claim touts.
Last edited by: NIL on Fri 25 May 12 at 21:05
See Dr. Ben Goldacre's secondary blog:

bengoldacre.posterous.com/-boring-laughably-rubbish-security-from-barcl

(ignore some of his atypical spellings).

"I was just left a message by "Barclays" asking me to call them on some odd, unusual 0800 number.

I did so, and they started asking me for security information. "How do I know your Barclays?" I asked. The guy on the phone was baffled. "But we're Barclays". .... "

I'm afraid I've been a bit naughty when I'm really fizzed off with them....

How are you today, sir ?

Not too good actually, I'm just waiting for the undertaker to arrive.

Mumbled apologies and click of phone.

Ted
 More cold calls - regional accents - Crankcase
Thanks for the heads up on Ben Goldacre's postings, John H. He also posts the mightiest video of all time, which I watched open mouthed in awe.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d5BdyIGtYcg

>> Thanks for the heads up on Ben Goldacre's postings, John H. He also posts the
>> mightiest video of all time, which I watched open mouthed in awe.
>>

I don't know about that. I think these two top that video (NB: "two top" not intended as a pun):

tinyurl.com/cln73cw (features cars and motorbikes)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AkgwLkYfMM (at the Grace Lounge pool in NYC)

More cold calls - regional accents - Clk Sec
>> It now seems to be cured here by the use of by an answering and screening device. Only those known to us, on a list we set, can get straight through. Cold callers being denied access (automated calls, or no name, no access)

Similar system used here. Our 'phone is programmed to identify the 100 most likely callers. All others go straight to the answerphone.

And, it works very well because cold callers don't seem to like leaving messages.
 More cold calls - regional accents - R.P.
I work in a call-centre now - My main delight is making people laugh in their hour of need. I threw the script away after the second day !
Over the last month or so, I seem to have hit on Something! - when "They" call and ask something like, "can I speak to Mr xxxx, or am I speaking to Mr Xxx" I tell them them a "Fib", and say "I`m sorry, he doesn`t live here anymore". "They" usually mumble an apology and hang up.
I have noticed that the calls have almost stopped now! - probably because the "Fib" breaks the Name - Number link, and makes their info worthless to pass on to "others".
Try it ! and see if it really does make any difference.
 More cold calls - regional accents - Fursty Ferret
I found faking my own death remarkably effective, particularly if it happened in a slow, drawn-out, and gruesome way.
Funny you should say that! - A Pal used to do that, but then landed himself into one heck of an embroilment when Jobcentre Inspectors wanted to know who or how somebody was still drawing his benefits!! had heck of a job convincing them that he was still alive!! they even incinerated that he was forging his docs!
>> mega snip

Sorreee!
 More cold calls - regional accents - Bromptonaut
Get these at work too.

I'm in one of the Quangos that has the coalition's axe hanging over it. The axe has been there for two years and is still some way from falling but that's another story.

We get regular calls from outfits wanting (for a fee) to assist in disposal of buildings/furniture/staff etc. At first we were fairly polite and explained that time-scale was dependent on legislation and that our sponsor dept would be dealing with this stuff. I'm now at point where I use the phrase 'a bit soon for the vultures to be circling'.

It's usually taken with a laugh!!
 More cold calls - regional accents - Stuu
I had some northern woman phone me the other day.

Her opening question was to confirm the name of the business, my surname in the listings some people purchase, so I knew instantly she was wasting my time.
I asked what business was it of hers. She said what if she wanted her car valeting. I said you dont, your in a call centre. No Im not she said. Well why can I hear the girl next to you doing the same script then? She said I was a bad businessman, I told her she was an even worse liar.

I do enjoy those calls, far more fun than the automated PPI calls.
>> She said I was a bad businessman, I told her she was an even worse liar<<

:-D
 More cold calls - regional accents - Ambo
Dog, could you kindly say where your TPS on-line form can be found please?

By the way, I find cold callers usually withold their numbers so can't be called back.
 More cold calls - regional accents - Focusless
woof :)
www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html
 More cold calls - regional accents - Ambo
Great, thanks. However, I see the procedure only works if you can cite the caller's identity and pnone number, which are usually witheld. Otherwise excellent.
I leave my little cordless answer-phone on all the time now, if I hear its someone I know, I'll pick it up:

www.amazon.co.uk/Gigaset-Single-Cordless-Answer-Machine/dp/B004UPL11I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339860086&sr=8-4

It rings for 18 seconds before the answer phone-kicks in and I get a sort-of pleasure out of the fact that I have wasted their time for a change :)
 More cold calls - regional accents - Clk Sec
We had six unwanted calls yesterday; four were shown as 'out of area', and two were 0845 numbers. We get around two a day usually, mostly in the afternoon - although our first one yesterday was at 7.15am.

They very rarely leave a message on the answerphone.
Must say to be honest, we haven`t had any unwanted calls for over three weeks now! - very happy!
 More cold calls - regional accents - Bagpuss
Back in 2004 I moved to Mountain View, California, for about 6 months. I lived in what our US cousins call a "Condominium" which has nothing to do with condoms, it's basically managed apartments. I rolled up at reception, filled in the form with name and home address and got handed the keys to my "Condo".

4 hours later the phone in the "Condo" rang. It was an Indian gentleman trying to sell me life insurance. He had my name and nationality. I have to say, in terms of efficiency in passing on information, that takes some beating. Damn annoying though.
Brilliant Focus, it worked!

Anyway, I've stopped the cold calls I've been getting for the last year since we moved here and took on a new number.

Seems the previous user of the number was well known in the debt restructuring/consolidation circles (nuff sed)

In the end I was getting up to 3 blimming cold calls a day, and although I left my answerphone on all day, it was beginning to get to me.

So, I changed my number, cost?

£35.85

Result?

No calls at all.

Its only been 24 hours though, so watch this space!
Latest Forum Posts