Non-motoring > Re-enamelling a bath Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 48

Re-enamelling a bath - Crankcase
Bath is cast iron and looking worse for wear. Lots of websites offer re-enamelling, although I appreciate that's a loose term for resurfacing.

Anybody been down that route?

Don't know whether it's a waste of time and would be better, although I imagine more money and hassle, to replace the thing.
 Re-enamelling a bath - L'escargot
Cast iron baths have the advantage of being much stronger and more rigid then plastic or pressed steel baths. I would try and keep it.
 Re-enamelling a bath - bathtub tom
I've heard several accounts of it being a waste of time, but if it's successful they wouldn't shout about it.

I'd suggest you ask if you can continue using scouring powder after treatment.
>> I'd suggest you ask if you can continue using scouring powder after treatment.
>>

I thought that scouring powder went out at the same time as high button boots!
 Re-enamelling a bath - Zero
you can't use scouring powder on an enamel bath before resurfacing let alone after.
 Re-enamelling a bath - Armel Coussine
Scouring powder was probably what made it 'the worse for wear' in the first place. You can use Daz or something with the rough side of a plastic washing-up sponge or similar. Forget about wire wool and scouring powder. That's for naked metal, not enamel.
 Re-enamelling a bath - Runfer D'Hills
I can't remember the last time I had a bath. For that matter, I don't think anyone in our house uses it either. Not as dire as it seems ! Just that we all choose to shower. Not that any of that is even slightly on topic. Carry on...Don't mind me, you know how it is.

:-)
I have a very large, very thick, cast iron enamelled roll top bath. It came in through the window strapped to the jib of a JCB apparently and will only escape if broken into pieces.

NOt that it will be thrown out, it is a magnificent experience to wallow in a hot deep bath, even if it doses take an age to fill.
>> it is a magnificent experience to wallow in a...

Yeah, I suppose you've got to do something to fill in the time between Countdown and Eggheads and now that a trip to the pub might be a bit of an indulgence, I can see why a bath might while away another meaningless hour...

Bless.

:-)
 Re-enamelling a bath - R.P.
I prefer a bath as well Zero - always done even when working 50 to 60 hour weeks. It's chill time with Private Eye and/or Ride magazine, and the radio.
Wouldn't you be better with a loofah?
 Re-enamelling a bath - -
Looked into it at my previous house, damned expensive, smashed the old one up and put a pressed steel in.

Plastic now at the present gaff, i wouldn't go back to cast iron.

Don't have baths often, but can't beat a hot soak when you're freezing cold and the backaches giving you hell.
 Re-enamelling a bath - devonite
Farmers pay quite well for old cast-iron baths, - make great cattle water troughs!

>> Yeah, I suppose you've got to do something to fill in the time between Countdown
>> and Eggheads and now that a trip to the pub might be a bit of
>> an indulgence, I can see why a bath might while away another meaningless hour...

Well lets just say the Nicole is every bit as well made as Carol Vorderman, and the bath is big enough for two........
 Re-enamelling a bath - bathtub tom
Careful Zeddo. I know someone who had to have a new ceiling doing that.

They forgot about Archimede's eureka moment!
 Re-enamelling a bath - swiss tony
>> Careful Zeddo. I know someone who had to have a new ceiling doing that.
>>
>> They forgot about Archimede's eureka moment!
>>

Now Tom...... where did you get your name from?.......
>> Careful Zeddo. I know someone who had to have a new ceiling doing that.
>>
>> They forgot about Archimede's eureka moment!

Ground floor bathroom, its not going very far
 Re-enamelling a bath - Iffy
...Ground floor bathroom...

Tank it and turn it into a wet room for even more bath time fun.

Re-enamelling a bath - R.P.
Watch put for mildew in the grouting though...:-)
 Re-enamelling a bath - zookeeper
>> >> Careful Zeddo. I know someone who had to have a new ceiling doing that.
>> >>
>> >> They forgot about Archimede's eureka moment!
>>
>> Ground floor bathroom, its not going very far
>>

dont bank on it zeds

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21633385
 Re-enamelling a bath - MD
>> Well lets just say the Nicole is every bit as well made as Carol Vorderman,

Well that doesn't add up.............
 Re-enamelling a bath - Ted

>>
>> Well lets just say the Nicole is every bit as well made as Carol Vorderman,
>> and the bath is big enough for two........
>>
I don't suppose you've any photos to post here ? He asked without much hope of a positive answer.

Ted
>>
>> >>
>> >> Well lets just say the Nicole is every bit as well made as Carol
>> Vorderman,
>> >> and the bath is big enough for two........
>> >>
>> I don't suppose you've any photos to post here ? He asked without much hope
>> of a positive answer.

Your chances just went down the drain.
 Re-enamelling a bath - Dutchie
Daughter has a cast iron bath.There is some damage near the plug.So what is best to use for Re enamelling?
Enamel?
 Re-enamelling a bath - Cliff Pope
I'm in the process of looking into this. I thought I had a renovator lined up (Renubath) but they suddenly went into liquidation.

There are several levels of re-surfacing, with corresponding prices and durability:

1) DIY paint job. It's special paint, but still useless.

2) Economy treatment. They come and do it in situ, with special 2-pack epoxy, or something like that. Guaranteed 2 years.

3) Better quality, but still in-situ. Guaranteed for 5 years, but only if the company hasn't folded up.

But none of these is proper enamelling:

4) Can only be done by removing the bath, sending it to the enamellers, who strip it down to bare metal and re-enamel as new. Lasts for 50 years if you don't use scouring powder.
May crack in the enamelling process, it's always a risk with old cast iron.
 Re-enamelling a bath - Crankcase
Thanks for all your thoughts. As I suspected, a "proper job" is more than a bloke painting some stuff on, or so it looks.

I think the sledgehammer beckons. For all the puff about the things being worth money (actually we have two, as the previous owners left one up a corner of the garden and we found it five years later, still done nothing with it) if you look on the bay under completed sales they go for anything from a quid to about fifty tops, in the condition ours is.

So in situ destruction and replacement seems a better option.
 Re-enamelling a bath - -
>> So in situ destruction and replacement seems a better option.
>>

earplugs CC, i could hardly believe how hard it was to make the first split.
 Re-enamelling a bath - crocks
>> earplugs CC, i could hardly believe how hard it was to make the first split.

+1.

I broke up mine in a very small bathroom and couldn't believe the noise and just how tough it was.
>> So in situ destruction and replacement seems a better option.
>>

If you're hell-bent on having a new bath, please be aware that with acrylic baths you get what you pay for. For a start the thickness varies enormously. After about 12 years our original acrylic bath developed a crack along the bottom which leaked. It turned out it was a relatively thin bath with a visible poor-quality chipboard baseboard attached to the underside. The water leak had started to weaken the baseboard. After much research I chose an 8 mm thick Carron bath which has Carronite reinforcement and an 18 mm thick totally encapsulated baseboard. So far we're very pleased with it. I got it from Jewsons, so it's not as if it's something which is only available online. tinyurl.com/c866cse
I think you can get baths which are even thicker than 8 mm.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 14 May 12 at 12:59
 Re-enamelling a bath - henry k
>> It turned out it was a relatively thin bath.

That reminds me of the very first acrylic bath I ever tried ( many many years ago).
It was bright red and in an up market hotel. I suspect it was completely unsupported as it wobbled like a jelly when trying to get in it.
It seems to be a slow learning curve in how to make them.
 Re-enamelling a bath - crocks
>>please be aware that with acrylic baths you get what you pay for.

I bought a very cheap suite from B&Q. The basin was fine but the acrylic bath only lasted six months before it had sagged enough to allow ponding after the plug was removed.

I tried unsuccessfully to try and prop it up from underneath and also failed to get a satisfactory resolution with B&Q.

In the end I went to the local plumbers merchant and picked up a simple pressed steel bath for about £80. Wish I had taken that route in the first place.
>> So in situ destruction and replacement seems a better ......

If you're hell-bent on having a new bath, get one with handles. You might not need them now, but you might appreciate having them when you're older.
 Re-enamelling a bath - -
>> If you're hell-bent on having a new bath, get one with handles. You might not
>> need them now, but you might appreciate having them when you're older.

Good point, but the bath we just replaced had handles and they proved not much use, problem being that handles at bath top height don't give you any purchase to haul yourself up.
If handles needed, i would have thought a couple of feet higher fixed to the wall, low enough to reach if reclined but high enough to allow you to pull youself upright.
 Re-enamelling a bath - Clk Sec
>> If you're hell-bent on having a new bath, get one with handles. You might not
>> need them now, but you might appreciate having them when you're older.
>>Good point, but the bath we just replaced had handles and they proved not much use

We are about to have a new bathroom fitted, but the new bath - unlike the existing one, will not have handles.

I haven't bothered asking the wife why she doesn't want them. But she doesn't!

Re-enamelling a bath - Dog
>>If you're hell-bent on having a new bath, get one with handles. You might not need them now, but you might appreciate having them when you're older<<

Surely, the ideal for folk with limited mobility would be a 'wet room' fitted with a seat?
 Re-enamelling a bath - zookeeper
a bath with handles? who in there right mind is going to be carrying a bath around at that time of life?
>> I chose an 8 mm thick Carron bath which has Carronite reinforcement and an 18
>> mm thick totally encapsulated baseboard. So far we're very pleased with it. I got it
>> from Jewsons, so it's not as if it's something which is only available online. >>tinyurl.com/c866cse

L'escargot

Refitting our bathroom is a job we were going to do last year but didn't get around to it. However, Mrs CS has put the pressure on, so it must be sorted soon!

I made a mental note of your recommendation a while back and wondered if the Carron bath had served you well in the meantime?

Thanks.

CS

Our Carron bath has now been installed for 3.5 years, and we're completely satisfied that we made the right choice. It fully complies with our requirements for a strong and rigid bath fitted with grab handles. Carron claim that they are as rigid as cast iron baths.
Thanks, L'escargot.
>> Our Carron bath has now been installed for 3.5 years, ...............

I don't think I've mentioned in this thread that Carron baths come in a variety of styles and sizes ~ see www.merebathrooms.co.uk
>> I don't think I've mentioned...

We've just received their brochure.

Thanks again.
Edit,
Last edited by: devonite on Mon 14 May 12 at 15:08
 Re-enamelling a bath - WillDeBeest
Cast iron may once have been the best material for baths but I'm not convinced it still is. The house we bought two years ago has a white cast-iron bath that, as we discovered when we replaced the taps, used to be a blue cast-iron bath. It's solid, certainly - although its refinishing is chipping off in several places. More seriously, it's too narrow for my Beestly shoulders, which I have to immerse one at a time, so our plan is to swap it for something more commodious.

When that happens, it won't be for cast iron. In our last house, we replaced a letterbox-sized bath in butterscotch acrylic with a top-quality German one in white enamelled steel. It hardly took up any more floorspace but offered much more Beestensraum. It didn't steal heat from the water the way our iron one does; it stood up to doubling as the shower tray in our tiny bathroom, and after ten years' daily use, it still looked as good when we moved out as the day it arrived. Great piece of kit; I only wish I could remember what make it was. }@---)
 Re-enamelling a bath - Focusless
>> More seriously, it's too narrow for my Beestly shoulders, which I have to immerse one at
>> a time

I see what you mean WDB...
www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-113-training/scan0004.jpg
 Re-enamelling a bath - WillDeBeest
It doesn't help that Mrs Zero makes me take the plughole end.
>> It doesn't help that Mrs Zero makes me take the plughole end.

In your dreams WdB, Nicolle is not into bestiality.
 Re-enamelling a bath - Dutchie
How much should it cost to re anmel a bath? What is the procedure.
 Re-enamelling a bath - Cliff Pope
www.bathrestorationuk.com/why.html

This is one of the few places I have found that do proper enamelling.

As the blurb says, anything else is simply applying a glorified paint, with a correspondingly short life.

Ready-restored enamel baths cost £1000 upwards.
Latest Forum Posts