Non-motoring > New job ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 27

New job ! - R.P.
Well, got a three year contract with the CAB - PAID ! - it'll fund my petrol habit I suppose ! Just what I wanted something I enjoy doing that'll keep me out of mischief for three years !
 New job ! - Pat
Well done RP, should keep you out of mischief a bit!

Pat
 New job ! - Dog
The sheep will miss you.

:)
 New job ! - nyx2k
congratulations. it's great when you can have a job you enjoy.
 New job ! - Dutchie
All the best Rob.Worthwhile job.
 New job ! - borasport
Good for you Rob.

I have my ideas as to what the CAB is and does, but would you mind giving me a summary of what you know it does.
I'm curious, because the CAB in Bolton where I sometimes work, is currently so busy that they stopped taking on any new business as it were according to the local paper
 New job ! - Armel Coussine
You any good on copyright law and literary contracts Rob?

And if you are, am I a citizen I wonder?

I am sure you will enjoy the work and earn your, er, is it enough to be called compensation?

'What time is it?'

'My cat's giving me strange sidelong looks. Should I have it painlessly killed just to be on the safe side?'

'What are the EC guidelines and directives on privately-owned fully-functioning WW2 tanks?'

It'll be a doddle for a seasoned operator like you.
 New job ! - R.P.
(a) It's half past the first egg timer...

(b) Reduce the strength of your weed - slowly.

(c) Whatever you want - who's going to stop you ?
 New job ! - Zero
you are a disgrace to the retired classes sir, Tear up and return your National Trust card at once!
 New job ! - R.P.
Motorbike tokens Zero, nothing else.
 New job ! - Old Navy
Good on you Rob, I had a part time pocket money job for ten years after I retired for the first time. It makes the next retirement even more pleasurable.
 New job ! - Dave_
Yep, well done from me too Rob. A guy I once worked with is now a paid CAB office manager in Scotland. He finds the post very fulfilling.
 New job ! - Clk Sec
>> Yep, well done from me too Rob.
>>

And from me. Best of luck.
 New job ! - R.P.
Thanks Dave, I have found it as well. There's a good crowd there - mainly volunteers, with the eccentricities I enjoy. A good diverse team and good company, O2 it ain't !
 New job ! - NortonES2
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your new task. I'd like to do something similar but I'm liable to forget the salient points.....
 New job ! - RattleandSmoke
Well done :).

Not that many jobs around in North Wales so especially well done :).
 New job ! - Runfer D'Hills
I admire you Rob. Well done. Not sure I could begin to do it. I rather suspect my advice to those asking for it might be a bit too predictable. As in...

Get a life / grip then
Lose weight then
Off yer bum and get a job then
Pack up the fags and booze and pay it off then

etc, etc...

:-)
 New job ! - RattleandSmoke
Whats the point, if you have the money just enjoy life :). I may be wrong but I very much get the impression RP is doing this because he enjoys it.

Personally I think if I get to early retirement age I would still want to work. I get very bored doing nothing.
 New job ! - PhilW
Good luck to you Rob - after 2 days of retirement SWMBO found me "a little job"!!. So different from what I had spent 38 years doing that 4 years later I am still putting in 12 - 14 hours a day and still enjoying it. In my case, not "motorbike money" but a very worthwhile project we had dreamed about for 20 years.
As rattle says above " I think if I get to early retirement age I would still want to work. I get very bored doing nothing"
Hope you enjoy it
P
 New job ! - Zero
>> I admire you Rob. Well done. Not sure I could begin to do it. I
>> rather suspect my advice to those asking for it might be a bit too predictable.
>> As in...
>>
>> Get a life / grip then
>> Lose weight then
>> Off yer bum and get a job then
>> Pack up the fags and booze and pay it off then

I guess the interview for The Samaritans job didn't go too well there Humph.
 New job ! - Bromptonaut
Good luck Rob. I have a friend who pursued a similar line after early retirement from Civil Service. Benefits advice, representation at tribunals, that sort of thing. Got caught up in at least one of the 'third sector' orgs that ended up going belly up - probably in part due issue with LSC.

Presumably LASPO bites in Wales as in England?
 New job ! - R.P.
It has....very limited scope for Legal Aid. The employed Solicitor there has some concerns..He's a nice bloke.
 New job ! - rtj70
Best of luck but I am sure you don't need it.
 New job ! - Fullchat
"It has....very limited scope for Legal Aid. The employed Solicitor there has some concerns..He's a nice bloke."

You'll be able to show him the ropes :-)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 2 May 12 at 00:50
 New job ! - bathtub tom
>>I guess the interview for The Samaritans job didn't go too well there Humph.

Sister-in-law lasted less than a week IIRC, I'm not letting pervs toss off listening to my voice in a Joyce Greenfell accent.
 New job ! - bathtub tom
Enjoy it Rob.

I took on a two day a week, term time only job, driving around schools, after I took redundancy. I didn't need the money, but it was a perfect wind down to full retirement.
 New job ! - R.P.
Thanks for the best wishes. Yep it's a hobby - takes me nicely to beyond my 55th birthday....Most of the calls are about the benefit changes, they range from the grabbing to the desperate, including some real tragic situations (like yesterday) and people through no fault of their own out of a job.

Had a lie in this morning - won't be many of them for a few years come Tuesday !
 New job ! - Duncan
>> Get a life / grip then
>> Lose weight then
>> Off yer bum and get a job then
>> Pack up the fags and booze and pay it off then

A member of my extended family worked at the local CAB for a while and her advice was usually something like that above!

They got rid of her!
Latest Forum Posts