Non-motoring > Siemens Dishwasher Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 26

Siemens Dishwasher - Clk Sec
A shot in the dark, really, but I wondered if any forum members who own a recent(ish) Siemens dishwasher have experience of changing the optical display light ? That is the one that shines on the floor directly under the appliance door while the machine is running. It hasn’t been working for a couple of weeks now, and it’s all too easy to open the door before the cycle is fully complete, and get a face full of steam.

Siemens have suggested that they send in one of their engineers!

Any advice, please?

Clk Sec
 Siemens Dishwasher - -
Is this light the only way you know, apart from noise, that the cycle has ended?

You might find the answer here if our brethren haven't delved into the innards of your machine..ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forumsphpbb3/
 Siemens Dishwasher - CGNorwich
Life's too short to dismantle dishwashers. Get the engineer - £89 plus parts

www.siemens-home.co.uk/repair-prices.html
 Siemens Dishwasher - Roger.
Find out how long each cycle takes: glance at clock on starting: work out finish time: cost NIL.
Simples, as my furry meerkat toy might say.
 Siemens Dishwasher - Focusless
We have a new-ish Siemens, but it's built-in, so we've never had the benefit of a light. Or perhaps it's never worked - I'll have to read the manual now.

I just listen out for the sequence of (5?) beeps when it finishes, which are usually audible from the lounge.
>> Is this light the only way you know, apart from noise, that the cycle has
>> ended?

The problem is the 'drying cycle' after the machine has become silent. If the door is opened too soon, the wife gets a face full of steam.

And, yes, the light is the only indication that the cycle is fully complete.

>> You might find the answer here if our brethren haven't delved into the innards of
>> your machine..ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forumsphpbb3/

Thanks for that, GB. I thought it might be worth asking the knowledgeable folk on here before looking elsewhere.
 Siemens Dishwasher - R.P.
There are particular signs when the dishes are done here....
>> We have a new-ish Siemens, but it's built-in, so we've never had the benefit of
>> a light. Or perhaps it's never worked - I'll have to read the manual now.

Ours is also built-in (that's why I'm asking, before possibly wrecking the thing!) and had the benefit of a light, but they can be programmed ON or OFF. So perhaps yours doesn't work, Focus, or it may be switched off.

If you have the same dishwasher, it's on page 16 of the user instructions, under 'Optical display while the programme is running'

>>
>> I just listen out for the sequence of (5?) beeps when it finishes, which are
>> usually audible from the lounge.

Not from our lounge, unfortunately. Heavy doors and solid walls, although we do hear the louder Siemens washing machine when it beeps.
>> If you have the same dishwasher, it's on page 16 of the user instructions, under
>> 'Optical display while the programme is running'

Thanks - can't remember which model it is otherwise I'd find an online manual. Will check tonight.
 Siemens Dishwasher - Old Navy
I think I could figure out how to change a pocket money light bulb for less than £89, plus the hassle of organising access for a man with a screwdriver.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 30 Apr 12 at 09:56
Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.

Ogden Nash
Martin Devon said something similar to me when I asked for painting advice here once !
Before someone correct me it was of course Hillaire Belloc and not Ogden Nash who provided the advice.
>> Life's too short to dismantle dishwashers. Get the engineer - £89 plus parts

£89 plus parts! I didn't get where I am today by forking out that sort of money for a bulb change. :-)
"I didn't get where I am today by forking out that sort of money for a bulb change. :-)"

No wonder we're in a double dip recession ;-)
 Siemens Dishwasher - Zero
>> "I didn't get where I am today by forking out that sort of money for
>> a bulb change. :-)"

Or even paying for a bulb.

Time the cycles as suggested. Problem resolved at absolute minimum cost.

(it won't be a "bulb" of course it will be some kind if assembly, I can feel the price coming on now..... £39.99)
>>(it won't be a "bulb" of course it will be some kind if assembly, I can feel the price coming >>on now..... £39.99)

You're right there, Zero. Bet I've got more chance of winning a lottery roll-over than getting a bill for £89 plus £1.29 for the bulb.

Time cycles, and leaving the lounge and kitchen doors open seems the best way to go.
>> Time cycles, and leaving the lounge and kitchen doors open seems the best way to
>> go.

Ours does display the time it will take - 2:45 for full load and 2:25 for half. Fortunately it doesn't take anything like as long as that (although I haven't actually timed it).
 Siemens Dishwasher - Bromptonaut
Surely if you know it might be full of steam you just step back. Ours 'creates' the fast cycle in part by missing out the dry phase - just fills the kitchen with steam instead.

Soon disperses even if there are no fans on!!
>>Surely if you know it might be full of steam you just step back.

The wife was caught out once or twice, but now she does step back a bit to avoid the steam. She doesn't let me near the thing, though. Reckons I don't load it fully, and put everything away in the wrong place.

Woe is me...
 Siemens Dishwasher - Roger.
I seem to be in charge of emptying ours. (Plus rearranging most of the input to get things to fit).
My final task before climbing the stairs to bed, usually around 12:30. AM
 Siemens Dishwasher - -
Yep, i have to load our dishwasher too.

Funny thing SWM who once had her own removals lorry knows precisely how to condense an entire house into a truck, Tardis style, but makes a pigs ear of loading the dishwasher.
Did she always pick Fords ?
 Siemens Dishwasher - -
ho ho, good one.

Bedford chassis/cowl with i think a Hawson full Luton body...and no power steering, see even the girls were tough in those days.
 Siemens Dishwasher - apm
We've a recent Siemens disher, and very good it is too. It's not built in, so I just look at the time remaining display.

If it helps, for ours the standard dirtiness-sensing programme takes about 90 minutes: yours may not be far off?

Alex.
 Siemens Dishwasher - rtj70
If it's like our previous Siemens dishwasher (stand alone type) and the current Neff one.... the length of programme varies depending on how dirty the dishes are. But ours has a beep (that can be turned off) to say when it's finished.
 Siemens Dishwasher - Cliff Pope
We set ours on its timer so that it does its work during the night using cheaper rate electricity.
Latest Forum Posts