Non-motoring > Ospreys Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 93

Ospreys - Pat
www.ospreys.org.uk/webcam/

She only had one egg this morning but I think she may have two now.

Beware...it's addictive!

Pat
 Ospreys - Meldrew
Thanks for that Pat - it saves me from driving to Rutland Water with my binos!
 Ospreys - Armel Coussine
My youngest daughter used to have a thing about birds in general and ospreys in particular, Pat, so I have sent her the link in the hope that it will work in Tasmania.
 Ospreys - Pat
I do hope it does AC, there should be a total of three egss and then we should be able to watch the new chicks.

Pat
 Ospreys - zookeeper
Its a nice day out at rutland water..used to take the kids when they were little
 Ospreys - Pat
I'm getting worried about her now, she has only got one egg still and she isn't sitting on it.

Can we despatch Meldrew to go and shin up the post and explain to her how incubation works?

I'm sure he's the closest one;)

Pat
 Ospreys - zookeeper
in only 20 miles away straight up t' A47
 Ospreys - Armel Coussine
I wonder if the camera is to blame? The bird may remember the geezer going up the pole and putting the thing there. And does it by any chance move visibly in any way or make a whining or whirring sound however muted and discreet?

I reckon that panda, like many a panda before him, couldn't get it up because of all the paparazzi. You can't really blame it. You wouldn't mind a little winkle like that showing to a sympathetic lady, but you wouldn't want photos of it in the centre spread of Heat with commentary by Katie Price, Christine Keeler and Lady Thatcher.

I wouldn't anyway, and I am sure others will feel the same.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 16 Apr 12 at 18:37
 Ospreys - NortonES2
One of the pair was sitting on the egg(s) at 1830 approx. Very alert, head twisting side to side. Great pictures for a web cam.
 Ospreys - Roger.
Disappointed - thought it would be a thread about a South Wales rugby union team!
 Ospreys - devonite
Do Ospreys go "broody" as soon as the first Egg is laid? - Chickens and common-garden "Dickys" usually lay a "full-clutch" before starting to "Sit".
All may be well as yet! -I hope so!
 Ospreys - Meldrew
Right now (0700) there is on bird siting on how ever many eggs there are. Knowing nothing about what the normal procedure I am guessing it may be there to keep the egg and relevant bit of the nest dry - it is raining quite hard here.
 Ospreys - NortonES2
At 0935, one egg revealed. Osprey made a dramatic entrance, swooped in and settled down on the egg.
 Ospreys - smokie
Two ducks just floated by, from near bottom right the top left. I can hardly contain myself :-)
 Ospreys - CGNorwich
Webcam gives only stills I'm afraid but interesting pictures of the peregrine falcons that are nesting on the top of Norwich Cathedral spire. Birds are generating a lot of interest and becoming a bit of a tourist attraction.

www.camscape.com/Europe/United%20Kingdom/England/Norfolk/Norwich-Cathedral-Peregrine-Falcon-Nest-Platform-33485.php?p=all
 Ospreys - CGNorwich
Some nice video of the falcon taken last year.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvMxeAQElfc
 Ospreys - Meldrew
I'm getting video CGN. I click on the link and the site takes about 5 secs to load - then there is a Play icon right in the middle of the screen and off you go
 Ospreys - Duncan
>> Webcam gives only stills I'm afraid

They are moving on my screen!
 Ospreys - smokie
I like that you can tweet about it :-)

OMG it's getting addictive...
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 17 Apr 12 at 14:48
 Ospreys - Pat
5.45am: Still only one egg but they were mating, so we should see another one soon!

Pat
 Ospreys - devonite
>>so we should see another one soon!

You seem to know a bit about mating habits!!

Spot-on! - two goggy-eggs at 11.15! - seems to be sittin now, it looks bored though!
 Ospreys - smokie
Every time I checked today the lazy wotsit is sitting down and I can't see any eggs.

Twitch twitch.
 Ospreys - Pat
Me too Smokie, apart from when I caught them having nookie this morning;)

Pat

Ospreys - Meldrew
I have been checking in on and off during the day and I think I saw one egg but there was one there 2 days ago. It has been raining on and off al day and I guess one bird is staying the nest to keep it, and the egg, dry
 Ospreys - Pat
The second egg was laid around 11.30am today according to the news tab on the website.

Pat
 Ospreys - Meldrew
Good - might be a third I hear - 3 eggs is normal?
 Ospreys - smokie
From the RSPB website

In the second half of April, the female lays two or three eggs at 1-3 day intervals and incubates them for 37 days per egg. Even though chicks hatch a few days apart, aggression and dominance by the older chick is rare. This asynchronic hatching is typical for most birds of prey.
 Ospreys - devonite
>>The second egg was laid around 11.30am-

two goggy-eggs at 11.15! - Ha! beat them! - Amateurs! ;-)

Me thinks there's going to be at least 3 Eggs, the mating you voyeur ed in this morning would be to fertilse the third one, twud be too late for the second.
Last edited by: devonite on Wed 18 Apr 12 at 17:56
 Ospreys - Pat
I'll have a look at dawn tomorrow morning and see if they are at it again then!

Pat
 Ospreys - Meldrew
As these are so near to me I have done a little more research. I find the following amazing; when Winter is approaching the Female migrates to Africa, the Male stays behind with the chicks teaching them how to fish and so on. Then he leaves for Africa and the chicks follow later and find their way there unassisted! There is a obviously a lot we don't know about wildlife instincts and navigation techniques!
 Ospreys - Duncan
It needs a bloke to teach kids life skills!

;-)
 Ospreys - Pat
I was dissapointed to find the webcam doesn't start until 6am.

I was looking forward to hours of very early morning watching during the run up to midsummers day.

Just me and the wildlife...something I miss so much about not being on the road anymore.

Pat

Ospreys - Pat
At the risk of trying to teach you how to suck eggs (pardon the pun), did you know if you hover your mouse over the webcam oicture a box appears in the bottom left hand corner?

Click on that and you get a full screen picture and lots more detail.

Pat
 Ospreys - Meldrew
I had found that although is isn't the usual route to fullscreen viewing! Cracking definition piccies aren't they?
 Ospreys - DP
Amazing pictures. One of the best quality webcam feeds I've seen.
 Ospreys - Pat
Well, why did neither of you tell me then?:)

I'm always the last to know!

Pat
 Ospreys - smokie
Double click on the pic does it for me.

I had it loaded earlier and just came back to it and double clicked, without looking too hard, but I think there were two of the, at it, in the still from when the webcam froze.

Following the comment above about migration, I see that you can track their migration on Google Earth, updated every three days. Can hardly wait! :-)

www.ospreys.org.uk/osprey-facts/follow-the-ospreys-with-google-earth/
 Ospreys - Focusless
Just clicked on the webcam link, but I think it must be broken - all I see is a bird sitting on a nest.

:)
 Ospreys - Pat
Now then F, you have to take it seriously on this thread!

Pat
 Ospreys - Focusless
:)

However if summer ever arrives I'd be quite happy lying outside on my back in the garden watching the red kites soaring and screeching overhead.
 Ospreys - Meldrew
I have seen them when on the Bracknell to Reading bus Focus - usually in the Earley area. We have a sanctuary for them between Stamford and Corby.

www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/t/toplodge/
 Ospreys - Focusless
>> I have seen them when on the Bracknell to Reading bus Focus - usually in
>> the Earley area.

They're probably the same ones - I'm in Woodley, just the other side of the A329.

>> We have a sanctuary for them between Stamford and Corby.
>>
>> www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/t/toplodge/

Doesn't look like they need one round here :)
 Ospreys - henry k
Red Kites -
>>Doesn't look like they need one round here :)
>>
Over the last 10-15 years that I have been travelling the M40 West to Oxford they have steadily spread east from the Getty's sanctuary.
Interesting to hear how far south they have spread.
 Ospreys - DP
We had a red kite sitting on our garden wall (Hants/Surrey border) last summer, hungrily eyeing up the guinea pigs in their run :-) Beautiful birds.

If you travel along the M40 between Wycombe and Oxford, you will see dozens of them. Literally, dozens.
 Ospreys - Bromptonaut
>> Over the last 10-15 years that I have been travelling the M40 West to Oxford
>> they have steadily spread east from the Getty's sanctuary.
>> Interesting to hear how far south they have spread.

There were a number around Tring when I was out cycling that way a year or so ago. Also see them from trains into Euston in same sort of area - between Cheddington and Berkamstead.

The Northants population are also spreading west and are common sights along the A14 around the Naseby and Kelmarsh areas. Some local reports of sightings in the Northants/Towcester area as well but I've yet to spot one myself.
 Red Kites - Fenlander
Never noticed a red kite in the fen but now we've moved onto hard ground there are a pair in the village we see circling over our back gardens most days. Not sure if it is a M/F pair... would two same sex kites fly close together? Very impressive and look in mid distance not much smaller than the local airfield Cessnas.
 Red Kites - Zero
getting everywhere the kites now, yes same sex kites do fly together. I saw 20 in the air at Princess Risborough and one raiding the bin in the car park.

They look very big on the ground!
 Red Kites - Focusless
Watch out: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-17866195
 Ospreys - Zero
>> I have seen them when on the Bracknell to Reading bus Focus - usually in
>> the Earley area. We have a sanctuary for them between Stamford and Corby.
>>
>> www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/t/toplodge/

I think the sanctuary idea has long died. They escaped out of Top Lodge and Wakerly woods years ago, and have spread like wildfire. It will be a toplodge breed that is now in Fenlanders area,
 Ospreys - Iffy
...I think the sanctuary idea has long died...

Sanctuary? Sounds like a cull is needed.

Red Kite pie anyone?

Ospreys - Zero
In Shakespeare's day they were considered a pest, vermin.
 Ospreys - Pat
It looks to me that they have swapped sitting duties.

The one earlier this morning was much darker in coulour.

I have to go to work today, so I shall expect you to keep watch for me until mid afternoon.

Pat
 Ospreys - DP
The one sitting just suddenly got up and flew off leaving the 2 eggs uncovered. The other one stopped preening itself, gently turned the eggs with its foot, and then took over sitting detail. :-)
 Ospreys - Meldrew
Another change over at 1340, smaller one (male?) took over nest duties and she went to join the ladies who lunch!
 Ospreys - devonite
There`s a Mouse!!! - living in the actual fabric of the nest in that little hole slightly right of centre at the bottom! - he must know they`re only fish-eaters! cheeky!
 Ospreys - smokie
The nest is empty, no bird in it! One of them was sitting on the egg (I can only see one), appeared to be sqawking away and looking round, then eventually took off, leaving the egg uncovered.

OK, in the time it took me to type that, it's back and sitting. Maybe just needed a dump :-)
 Ospreys - henry k
www.ospreys.org.uk/category/manton-bay/
There were two eggs so where has the other one gone?
Specsavers :-)
 Ospreys - smokie
Yeah, I think the second one was there, just couldn't quite make it out.
 Ospreys - Meldrew
Both the birds were having brekkie together at about 7.30 and later I saw 2 eggs - hoping there may be a third one soon!
 Ospreys - henry k
The video diary has great details of tracking a bird in West Africa and its journey to Rutland. After all that effort by the Osprey it deserves a good summer.
Well worth the time to view the Aipril Video Diary
 Ospreys - conquest
Three eggs now, five weeks to hatching apparently.
 Ospreys - henry k
>> Three eggs now, five weeks to hatching apparently.
>>
Yes three eggs on view at 14:06 shift change.

Prior to that one of the Ospreys was positioned on the camera post. As the sun popped in and out the shadow formed bottom left as it sorted its feathers out.
It was only a fleeting shadow, blink and it was gone.
 Ospreys - Meldrew
Yes I saw the shadow too - they were together on the nest for nearly 2 hours earlier today. I have not yet seen the mouse that someone reported; bearing in mind the nest is on a tall metal pole out in the lake it is a bit hard to see how a mouse could have got there but I am not saying it isn't there.
 Ospreys - smokie
My daughter just asked - do they have to mate once for each egg?

They were both there again at 14:40, a good view of the eggs.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 21 Apr 12 at 14:42
 Ospreys - Meldrew
Smokie - I haven't been able to find any information on this matter, yet. My feeling is that, like humans who are fertile for 4 days a month, ospreys may be fertile for a few hours every few days and that there is a lot mating to ensure the fertilisation of each egg. Perhaps we shall see that the eggs hatch a few days apart, in the same order and time interval that they were laid. What is noted is that despite one chick being older and/or bigger than the others there is no survival of the fittest ad all tend to suvive.
 Ospreys - devonite
>>I have not yet seen the mouse

I haven`t seen it since either, but it definitely stuck its head out! - right where that bit of straw is wafting about directly below the Ospreys head, maybe it was a bit of escaped tea?!
 Ospreys - Meldrew
Info is that they only eat fish so a mouse should be OK but I still haven't worked out how it got there! Maybe the osprey supporters took some sticks and moss out to the platform to encourage nest building and there was a mouse in amongst it? I just saw the three eggs, large and blotchy, during a shift change.
 Ospreys - Meldrew
Both birds at home right now. It looks as though they are changing the bedding around - there is a lot of light nest lining material hanging over the far edge of the nest. It must be difficult to keep the nest dry when it is raining as much as it has been in the last 48 hours
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sun 22 Apr 12 at 07:46
 Ospreys - devonite
www.ospreys.org.uk/webcam/

just moving the link down so that i dont have to keep scrolling right up to the top to get to it!
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 22 Apr 12 at 11:15
 Ospreys - DP
A beautifully put together illustration of the phenomenal fishing skills of these beautiful birds

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA3LtXnNIto
 Ospreys - CGNorwich
"just moving the link down so that i dont have to keep scrolling right up to the top to get to it!"

stick it in your favourites?
 Ospreys - devonite
stick it in your favourites?

Then i`d have to scroll right to the bottom! ;-)

yep i know i could sort them to put it at the top ;-) but i only seem to "look-in" whilst reading this thread!
 Notts Peregrine Falcons Cam - Meldrew
tinyurl.com/c4hgqwf

The Newton building at Nottingham Trent University has been the home for the last ten years to a breeding pair of peregrine falcons, who nest on a ledge outside near the top. The nest site has been successfully used to raise 16 chicks over the past five years. Watch live footage with us over the next few months as they lay eggs and rear their chicks.

How Long Do Webcam Batteries Last? - Duncan
A couple of links to very interesting webcams.

They set me a'wondering. How long do the batteries last? Does a little man in a brown overall and a flat cap change them every day, or do they last longer than that?
 How Long Do Webcam Batteries Last? - Meldrew
Probably big batteries and some solar panels. Notts Uni could/would have mains power, being on a public building in a city centre, I guess.
Stream is off line right now - changing batteries perhaps?
 How Long Do Webcam Batteries Last? - Pat
It's back on now.

Pat
 How Long Do Webcam Batteries Last? - Zero
I am nearby, the sun is out so the cells must be working.
can you see the nest from where you are zero? Are there solar panels?
 How Long Do Webcam Batteries Last? - Zero
>> can you see the nest from where you are zero? Are there solar panels?

When I said close, I meant 5 miles!!!!

I don't have my bins with me, or my telephoto camera. I will be up in two weeks time tho so could get you a snap for all the technical details? I know the part of the bay where the nest is.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 15:58
Ha Ha! I have looked in Google Earth for the nest, thinking that the height of the post might cause it to cast a shadow which I could see - but may be the sun wasn't out when the imagery was taken? I think a a photo would be of interest to several of us - thanks.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 16:13
 Ospreys - CGNorwich
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwLComEfalk

An interesting video on the darker side of Osprey family life.
 Ospreys - Pat
I see they are doing late afternoon/early evening cruises to see the Ospreys.

I think we should block book a car4play one on Saturday 30th June and put a new angle on a forum meet;)

Pat
 Ospreys - conquest
First chick here, second imminent
 Ospreys - Zero
>> I see they are doing late afternoon/early evening cruises to see the Ospreys.
>>
>> I think we should block book a car4play one on Saturday 30th June and put
>> a new angle on a forum meet;)
>>
>> Pat

one of us would rock the boat.
 Ospreys - Pat
We could arrange a fight on the upper deck Z!

I saw the chick about 7am, but I wish they would leave the camera on all night.

I always check the Peregrine Falcon chick at NTU when I get up in the morning as he manages to get out of the nest now and he'll soon be up on the ledge.

Pat
 Ospreys - Arctophile
Second chick hatched this morning (Sunday).

Mother and babies doing fine :-) I have just been watching mum feed fish to them both.
Last edited by: Arctophile on Sun 27 May 12 at 09:55
 Ospreys - Pat
The Falcon chick at NTU is growing so fast too. He was brought fish for breakfast yesterday morning and wasn't impressed, he prefers his breakfast with feathers on!

Anyone know why Mum would have caught a fish?

It's the first time we've seen this happen.

I was in Kent at the in laws yesterday morning and managed to get them hooked on both the Osprey and Falcon webcams before we left!

Pat
 Ospreys - devonite
>>Anyone know why Mum would have caught a fish?

Being hot Weather, she probably that it was a cool Plaice!!
 Ospreys - Biggles
Good arrers mate!

youtu.be/jSi5riVJtN4?hd=1
 Ospreys - Pat
I would like to think they do that to keep the nest clean!

I've loved watching both of the webcams and the Falcon chick finally fledged early this week from the ledge above NTU but I thought I'd have one last look at their webcam yesterday and there he was, perched on the edge of his old nest box, taking a breather!

Here is another worth a look from the Lost Gardens of Heligan.

Barn Owl chicks, and if you scroll down another shows Woodmice.

www.heliganwild.com/webcams

I had Mr & Mrs Starling bring 5 chicks into the garden on Thursday and show them how to take a bath in the waterfall.
I made good enetertainment seeing them trying to stand up in the fast flowing water but they then lined up on the feeding station to dry out again.

Pat
 Ospreys - DeeW
Pat, I have a nest starlings made in a gap above my bedroom window. I am woken early by the chicks calling madly for food and am amazed how close the parents fly to me when I am in the garden. Really looking forward to them fledging and quite pleased not to have a cat at the moment!
I have really enjoyed the various links you have put up and have happily wasted much time watching ospreys and now barn owls! Thank you.
 Ospreys - Pat
Me too Dee:)

Did you see Storm fledge? I missed the moment as usual, but I think he was back this morning.

Try scrolling down the Heligan page to see the Woodmice too!

Pat
 Ospreys - helicopter
Visited my brother over the weekend and we took a trip to Rutland Water on Saturday.

Visitor centre wanted £5.50 just to park the car and sit in one of the hides or viewing galleries so being a tightwad I moved on . I also found it strange that the majority of the reservoir is hedged around so you cannot see the water, particularly if you are cycling the circuit. I thought that seeing the water was the main attraction.

Anyway , I parked up by a bridge over a culvert on the A6003 which had a view of the nest and had an hour or so watching the Ospreys with the binoculars, two on the nest and one on a branch about 100 metres away but the nearest was sitting on a tree only 20 metres or so away from us but quite camouflaged.....it is the first time that I have seen these birds in the wild..... unfortunately not a lot of flying going on , only a couple of circuits and bumps....

Enjoyable afternoon though.
Latest Forum Posts