Non-motoring > Far too many tools. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 13

Far too many tools. - Bigtee
Just had a good sort out in the workshop how many of the same size spanners does a man need?

Over the past 22 years i had a set of tools for work and another set at home then as the "old men" retire they give you some of there's they no longer want and now in this job all tools are supplied and i have loads here!! ARRRRGH.....

So kept a good few of the ones i will use and the cheaper and old witworth and some a/f have found there way to the scrap man along with some bottle jacks use a trolley jack now.

Do you hoard far too many tools that you will never use but just think they will come in like me?

What have you got that you can't part with?

Thrown out some tool boxes keeping the snap-on chest and roll cab (of course) but got rid of old grinding discs grinders and files and junk but still got a few more i may dump.ARRRRGH!!
 Far too many tools. - Dave_
There's a good home waiting here for any unwanted tools, particularly plumbing tools, in light of my current college course and aspirations of a new career!
 Far too many tools. - smokie
I'm not one for d-i-y when it can be avoided, but when I am forced into it I usually try to get the right tools. So I have a hoard of tools without a lot of use but which I am never likely to use again. Also my dad was a mechanical engineer and some of his old stuff seemed too good to throw away when the time came to clear the sheds, garage and cellar.

Actually the same is true of computer parts - over the years I have upgraded boards, disk etc etc in my computers (and other peoples) and the old parts are totally useless but still in my cupboards. 5 1/4 inch floppy anyone?
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 26 Apr 10 at 15:17
 Far too many tools. - L'escargot
One day the tools I no longer use will be "collectibles". I often regret throwing away old things, and then later having to buy them secondhand to add to my collection of collectibles.
 Far too many tools. - crocks
I have an aversion to throwing anything away.
But I know I will be long gone before most of what I have becomes collectible.
I haven't seen a Sykes and Pickavant valve spring compressor on The Antiques Roadshow yet.
 Far too many tools. - henry k
>>I haven't seen a Sykes and Pickavant valve spring compressor on The Antiques Roadshow yet.
>>
Oh in that case my, used only once decades ago, in its original box, SP OHV model will have to be on Ebay

I have a bonnet lock bought at great expense in the USA many years ago and never fitted.
Unless battery nicking starts chips in the ignition key has made it obsolete on modern cars.
Don't get your hopes up too high. Good one there for only £4.20 !!!!
tinyurl.com/2ubgnmo
>> Don't get your hopes up too high. Good one there for only £4.20 !!!!
>>
Oh dear and the box I have is not a nice as that one.
 Far too many tools. - RattleandSmoke
I've got all sorts of junk I don't need including an imperial socket set my uncle probably used to replace a head gasket on an Austin A30!

My tools are a complete disorganised mess though and I usualy end up buying tools because I forgot I already own a load.

I remember buying a cheap jigsaw for a job once only to find a £50 Bosh one which I had completly forgot I had boughty three years earlier!
>>Oh dear and the box I have is not a nice as that one.

Well you'll have to throw in the gob stick and grinding paste to generate interest!!!
Last edited by: crocks on Mon 26 Apr 10 at 17:07
>> Well you'll have to throw in the gob stick and grinding paste to generate interest!!!
>>
You have really depressed me !!! I know that I no longer have those extras.
Oh how I miss doing the boy scout twissle and lift twissle and lift.
 Far too many tools. - Zero
Oh how I hate the gob stick.

My dad made me grind all the valves on the MG Magnette.

twiddle twiddle twiddle, Up down up down, twiddle twiddle twiddle.

Its no job for a young lad who wants to get top his jar full of flies to pull the wings off.
 Far too many tools. - Iffy
We had an electric valve grinder which meant the valve needed very little manual grinding in.

Very satisfying, getting that uniform 'sugary' grey band to form the seal.
I bought one of the valve grinder attachments that fits to an electric drill.
Seemed like a good idea at the time and just think of how much time I would save.
Never needed it. It must be in the loft somewhere.
Latest Forum Posts