Non-motoring > Somewhere in the UK? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 8

Somewhere in the UK? - Duncan
Nothing to do with my other thread.

Any suggestions for a place where we - two old? adults, two forty'ish adults and three small girls 6, 4 and 2 could rent a property for a week?

The adults would like places somewhere not too far away where they can visit (a bit of culture) and the children would like somewhere where children can enjoy themselves.

We are talking of early July and preferably not too far North (for the warmth)

Any ideas, please?
 Somewhere in the UK? - Meldrew
Derbyshire Peak District is very pleasant and easy to reach from the M1. Loads of self-catering properties too. I have only been there as a couple and in B&B but the area is scenic and there is plenty to do for your age group and children.

www.holidaylettings.co.uk/peak-district-derbyshire/
 Somewhere in the UK? - Zero
Duncan, seem to recall you live somewhere near me so, we know where "not too far away is"

The Suffolk Coast, somewhere around Southwold,
The North Norfolk coast - centred on Cromer
The Dorset coast somewhere centred around Swanage,
The Pembroke coast, the mules or the Gower of South wales, (of those the pembroke is my fav)

North devon, south devon

I have rented cottages in all of those areas, and had a super holiday in all of them.
 Somewhere in the UK? - Duncan
Bad phrasing on my part. I meant 'not too far away' from where we would be staying. The distance from home - leafy Surrey - is not so important.
 Somewhere in the UK? - Roger.
Another vote for Pembrokeshire. (South Pembs is, I think nicer that North Pembs)
Marvellous beaches, the coastal National Park, mild weather, castles to visit (Pembroke castle, the birth place of Henry Tudor, for instance). English as a first language (South Pembs!), wild life parks, Caldey Island etc etc.
I wish we could have afforded to return there when we came back to the UK.
 Somewhere in the UK? - devonite
Does it have to be "Property"? - what about renting a "static caravan" or "lodge"? - plenty of fully equipped Holiday resorts about.
 Somewhere in the UK? - Zero
>> The Dorset coast somewhere centred around Swanage,
>> The Pembroke coast, the mules or the Gower of South wales, (of those the pembroke
>> is my fav)

The Mules? Good lord damn Iphone autocorrect, I meant of course The Mumbles.
 Somewhere in the UK? - WillDeBeest
South Pembrokeshire is beautiful but I'm not sure I'd go there in peak season. We've had some delightful weeks there in the Easter hols, when the early Gulf Stream spring is a real treat. But being bounded by sea on three sides, and having few major roads, it can be hard to get around. So many of the roads are narrow and edged with high banks or hedges that I can imagine full-scale holiday traffic could be a real problem if you want to visit popular castles and beaches.

Perhaps someone else has been there in high summer and can correct me.
 Somewhere in the UK? - VxFan
>> damn Iphone autocorrect

You are not alone.

www.damnyouautocorrect.com
www.damnyouautocorrect.com
(warning, links may contain swearing. Some intentional, some not)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Mar 12 at 12:25
Latest Forum Posts