Motoring Discussion > Biggest complement of your car? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 53

Biggest complement of your car? - RattleandSmoke
My dads I10 has a nail in the tyre is so is off the road till Monday. In the mean time he has been borrowing my Panda. My dad said my Panda is a lot slower and doesn't handle as well but much prefers driving it.

He said the steering and gear change on the Panda just feels so much more precise and he always smiles when driving it, but he said the i10 is just how far too clunky and viticulture to drive. He said its things like the i10 lights up like a computer which is distracting at night, where the Panda is very subtle yet everything is well it.

So people who have driven both is that a fair assessment? However he is still keeping the i10 for at least three years but it looking likely it will be replaced after that.

I am thinking it is the cable clutch he can't get used to, as his Fiesta and my Panda is hydraulic and I much admit I much prefer hydraulic clutches.

Either way I am quite chuffed he prefers driving my car :). At least I know when it makes me smile it is not just me.
 Biggest complement of your car? - rtj70
Tyre places open on Sundays aren't they? Does it not have a spare?

Sounds like your dad should have got a Panda :-)
At the time it was meant as a new alternative to a ten year old Focus. He wanted a brand new Fiesta in mid spec tirm costing £11k but to do a problem with the DWP he thought he could not afford it. Now he can afford it, so is probably picking faults.

The problem with the Panda in the spec my parents wanted it would have been close to £9k, compared to the £6500 I10. The mid spec Fiesta 1.2 was only £11500 with discounts although that will be a lot less power per weight ratio than the i10, so even be bought that he may complain its too slow!

I have suggested the clutch cable might just need an adjustment, or the gear linkage maybe faulty, as I have not heard of notchy gear change being a problem on the i10.

I agree with the steering though, there is no feel at all to it, the Panda is bad enough but has a lot more feeling than the i10. The i10 feels like the steering on my old Corsa, lifeless.
 Biggest complement of your car? - Stuu
The steering on the i10 was always horrid, its not a good set-up.

It really depends on individuals though because different cars suit different drivers.

Ive driven a Pug 207 which is supposedly a good car but I couldnt wait to be rid of it and I got into a Suzuki SX4 and felt instantly at home.

I know I like a car with a reasonably supple ride and also sharp steering turn in ( which suits lightweight cars ) because I drive alot of undulating country roads at 40-60 mph so my tastes tend to based on that.
I also dont like dark interiors with small windows, I like good visability around me and I have a deep loathing of steeringwheels that are too thick to hold comfortably.

Theres no real bad car as such, just cars that work for you and those that dont.

One of the nicest cars I ever drove was a Rover 200 Vi, couldnt stop smiling, but they arent for everyone. Thats why I pay no attention when people say what they would buy, I buy cars for me, not other poeple.
 Biggest complement of your car? - Harleyman
>> The steering on the i10 was always horrid, its not a good set-up.
>>
>> It really depends on individuals though because different cars suit different drivers.
>>

Mine steers OK, and I find it's quite nimble; It might not be as pin-sharp as a Caterham 7 but then again it's a budget car and you get what you pay for. It's reliable, reasonably quiet (more so since I changed the front tyres) well-equipped and does exactly what i bought it for, and perhaps a bit more.

I've said before that the only thing I can really fault mine for is the hard seats on a long run, but having said that I did a trip to Market Harborough and back last weekend and didn't suffer as I had in the past, so perhaps they bed in.
 Biggest complement of your car? - Stuu
By horrid I mean in terms of feel and feedback. The one I drove also seemed to lack any self-centering. It felt very wooden after a hydraulic set-up, hence my wife chose the Daihatsu.
Yeah that is what I meant, its a very easy car to drive but it gives you no sense that you're driving. It feels a bit like a washing machine. I suspect once my dad fully gets used it though it will be fine.

Biggest complement of your car? - hjd
Complement?
Viticulture?

Posting in the early hours after drinking again?
 Biggest complement of your car? - Ambo
Look at the i10's overall package, a lot for the money. It does however have very little presence, more of a non-car really. It think it's best point is the lively Kappa engine, a lot of fun in lower gears although flabby in top.
 Biggest complement of your car? - Fursty Ferret
The best complement to my car is the driver.
 Biggest complement of your car? - L'escargot
>> Complement?
>> Viticulture?
>>
>> Posting in the early hours after drinking again?
>>

You should know by now that today's youngsters can't spell for toffee! tinyurl.com/76c5479
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 19 Mar 12 at 10:23
 Biggest complement of your car? - WillDeBeest
I think Rats types in a hurry and relies on something like the 'autocorrect' facility that I have on this iPhone. It's quite useful on a tiny keyboard where a lot of the options are a shift or two away, but it can also lead to some bizarre incongruities like 'viticulture'. Mine always wants 'white' and 'market' to begin with a capital letter.

None of which should matter if you read what you've written - or what's been suggested for you - before pressing Send, but we all miss the odd one, and I'm not sure Rats even looks.
 Biggest complement of your car? - Manatee
>> >> Complement?
>> >> Viticulture?
>> >>
>> >> Posting in the early hours after drinking again?
>> >>
>>
>> You should know by now that today's youngsters can't spell for toffee! tinyurl.com/76c5479
>>

Good word, viticulture. Shows a good vocabulary (of the autocorrection anyway).

Reminds me of Eric Morecambe playing the piano with Andre Preview - "Listen sunshine!! I'm playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order!"
 Biggest complement of your car? - -
>> Reminds me of Eric Morecambe playing the piano with Andre Preview - "Listen sunshine!! I'm
>> playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order!"

Ah yes the Andrew Preview concert, brilliant, my most favourite television sketch of all time.

A world class musician sending himself up and loving every moment, a rare joy....we shan't see innocent fun of that sort on the goggler again.
 Biggest complement of your car? - L'escargot
>> Viticulture?
>>
>> Posting in the early hours after drinking again?
>>

Rattle wrote "viticulture" on purpose. He wanted to see who would be the first to whine about it!
:-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 19 Mar 12 at 17:05
 Biggest complement of your car? - Zero
Its just sour grapes
 Biggest complement of your car? - Roger.
>> Its just sour grapes

In vino veritas?
 Biggest complement of your car? - Dog
I've worked on plus road tested over 10,000 vehicles in my time, from a 2 cylinder Fiat to a 12 cylinder Jaaag, so I can quite quickly determine a vehicles plus or minus points, from a purely personal perspective of course :)

When I first drove my Lancer on the road test it felt mighty strange compared to my previous Almera, but within just a few miles I soon became impressed by the its Volvo-like feel, sure footedness and what a nice place it was to be in.

I've now owned the car for 10 months, and I still feel the same way about it, sure it has its minus points (don't they all) such as no on-board computer for MPG and outside temperature but, on the whole I would rate it as the best car I've ever owned, and I've had some!
 Biggest complement of your car? - -
''no on-board computer for MPG and outside temperature''

Those are plus points, they won't go wrong.;)

Biggest complement of your car? - Runfer D'Hills
I often hire a small car when I'm in Italy on business. I've had a shot of most of the current crop including Pandas, I10s, little Peugeots, Fords, Opels, Lancias, Fiat 500s etc.

Without any shadow of a doubt in my mind anyway, the Panda is by some margin the best of the category and the Hyundai came firmly at the bottom of my list.

Just my thoughts of course. Each to their own.
>> I often hire a small car when I'm in Italy on business. I've had a
>> shot of most of the current crop including Pandas, I10s, little Peugeots, Fords, Opels, Lancias,
>> Fiat 500s etc.
>

I so wanted to love the Fiat 500, in an almost sexual way. It was one of life's disappointments when I finally got to drive one. Where, In Italy, it should have been at its best. Perhaps I built it up to much in my mind, and yes it had some very good points but heavily outweighed by its failings, mostly the seat, driving position, and shocking ride.
 Biggest complement of your car? - CGNorwich
Despite reservations about Korean cars I hired an i20 for two weeks in La Palma driving up and down some of the most twisty and steep roads in Europe and must say it acquitted itself reasonably well. Interior was a bit tacky but the engine, the 1.3 was reasonably smooth an quiet. Ride was bit jittery on the rougher sections of road.

On La Palma you seldom get out of third gear but did cruise well enough at 70 on the short section of duel carriageway near the airport. We drove up to the European Observatory at 2,400 metres above sea level and it took the hairpin bends and steep gradients in its stride.

Was pleased it had a spare wheel albeit the space saver sort as managed to get my first puncture for about 10 years. Got it repaired for 5 Euros at the local garage.

Korean cars definitely seem to have improved since I last drove one but I still don't think I would buy one. As a holiday hire it was fine though.

Biggest complement of your car? - Bagpuss
>> Without any shadow of a doubt in my mind anyway, the Panda is by some
>> margin the best of the category and the Hyundai came firmly at the bottom of my list.

Would agree with that. Second bottom is the Corsa.
 Biggest complement of your car? - mikeyb
>> >> Without any shadow of a doubt in my mind anyway, the Panda is by
>> some
>> >> margin the best of the category and the Hyundai came firmly at the bottom
>> of my list.
>>
>> Would agree with that. Second bottom is the Corsa.
>>

Funny you should say that - a friend who hires small cars most weeks prefers anything to a Corsa and if given a choice will always pick the alternative
 Biggest complement of your car? - Bagpuss
>> Funny you should say that - a friend who hires small cars most weeks prefers
>> anything to a Corsa and if given a choice will always pick the alternative

I ended up with a Corsa again last week, courtesy of Europcar. I'm beginning to wonder if they have a grudge against me.

I always go for the cheapest rental car group if I'm just knocking about locally. On the website I booked a Fiat Panda. So technically the Corsa was an upgrade.
The lancer steering is overlight, the gear change just a little notchy (this point has proved to be a bonus actually) and the engine a little gutless, however like dog, I am highly impressed with it.

Its quiet (very), it rides well, it light and airy inside, its minimalistic but has everything you need or want (except cruise) and it handles well. Its an appliance - but one that you learnt to appreciate, and its a joy to do routine maintenance on.

The gear box? Bonus? yeah - Its slow from 1st to second (coming out of first) unless you blip the throttle, the down change from 3rd to second needs a blip of throttle which means I have redeveloped a great heel and toe action on braking. the pedals are so perfectly set up for that its fabulous to do.

If I had endless money would I buy another? No, but its turned into everything I wanted and needed for my motoring requirements at this present time.

Biggest complement of your car? - diddy1234
i agree with the outside temp read out.

i miss that most going from an Astra to the Rio.

the best virtue of the rio has to be the engine.
i have driven a few diesels and they al sound like tractors compared to the rio.
also the rio never feels short on power.
it has saved my life a couple of times on the motorway where someone has pulled out in front of me.
a quick mirror check and look to the right, indicate with the right hand and foot down into the overtaking lane and im on my way out of trouble.
 Biggest complement of your car? - Robin O'Reliant
My late lamented Mondeo was the nicest car I ever owned just to be in all day. Not quick as it was the 1.8 diesel, but roomy, bright and comfortable. Being able to step out of a car at night feeling as fresh as when you got in that morning is more important than performance in my book.
100% agree Robin. Never before or since have I had a car I was so comfortable to use for a cross-Europe run. Even my current E Class is not as cosseting.

I've done 12 straight hours and more in my Mondeo ( excluding wee and fuel breaks ) many times and never felt anything other than fresh at the end. It just fitted me like a favourite pair of jeans.
 Biggest complement of your car? - rtj70
Humph, what model Mondeo did you have. I am thinking maybe GhiaX? I ask because I always found the seats in my Mondeo Ghia too firm. I always felt like I was sitting on the seats not "in". The passenger seat used to give my wife chronic back ache on a long trip.

The Mazda6 that followed was much more comfortable. The Passat CC is better again. In fact the CC on 18" wheels is surprisingly comfortable considering it has VW lowered suspension. Must be okay because of the adaptive dampers (ACC). I didn't test a model without ACC.
I had a GhiaX and indeed prior to that I had an LX. Both supremely comfortable for me anyway. Different folks different strokes I suppose.
 Biggest complement of your car? - DP
Also found my mk2 Mondeo TD LX very comfy. It was one of the last mk2s, 2000 on an X plate.
Apart from pedestrian performance, it was a cracking car. Cost buttons to run and maintain, never let me down, and still drove nicely with close to 150k on the clock.
Now in Poland somewhere.

Cheers
DP
I have a deep loathing of steering wheels that are too thick to hold comfortably.

I'm sure I would too, if I ever found one. But then, I do have four grips on the handle of my cricket bat.
 Biggest complement of your car? - henry k
>> I have a deep loathing of steering wheels that are too thick to hold comfortably.
>>
Me too. - not having ape hands:-)
That and the stupid headlamp flasher stalk were the two things that let down his MK1 Focus Ghia.
Me too. - not having ape hands

Oo-be-doo, I wanna be like you-oo-oo.
}:---)
I don't know of any car that has a wheel too thick to hold comfortably, you are just a bunch of limp wristed poofs.
 Biggest complement of your car? - Duncan
>> you are just a bunch of limp wristed poofs.
>>

Northerners most like.
>>... had a GhiaX and indeed prior to that I had an LX. Both supremely comfortable for me anyway.

>>Also found my mk2 Mondeo TD LX very comfy. It was one of the last mk2s, 2000 on an X plate.

I am comfortable in my '98 MK2 Ghia X.

>> Cost buttons to run and maintain, never let me down, and still drove nicely with close to 150k on the clock.

Mine is approaching 145K but has let me down.
Front spring snapped while in the drive - flat bed truck required and a coil pack went but was able to limp it to a Ford dealer.
Apart from that a new cat, a new washer pump, new front shocks, a new compressor, a totally rebuilt auto gearbox and the central locking double locked the drivers door so it was me in out the passenger door.

Apart from some tin worm and a very elusive leak in the boot sums up my Ford things that needed fixing,

It is on, as far as I can tell its original (rest of the) exhaust.
Other items
I just escaped a major engine problem re cambelt. The belt had been changed at £80 but I suspect not the rollers hence another belt change just in time as the plastic skin on a roller had split and fell off when handled.

I have always suspected the previous owner may have traded it due to unreliable starting. I suffered with the very very infrequent problem.
I eventually found a big fuse had blown and then reconnected itself for 99.9% of the time.

I still like the old bus. It cruises quietly at any speed I wish but I ignore the real urban MPG. When/If I find the Mk3 replacement I hope I will enjoy that too.

Biggest complement of your car? - DP
I bought mine with just over 100k on it, and sold it with just shy of 150k. No breakdowns or failures to start, just a few age/wear related replacements. The water pump bearings started to chatter, so I fitted a new.pump and timing belt kit. About £100 in parts and a Sunday's worth of labour. Also replaced a crumbling engine mount (£25 and half an hrs work) and an outer CV joint. Combined with a consistent 45mpg, a full service using Ford parts and oil for £50 plus time, and depreciation of £1000 over three years, it was a cheap car to own and run.
I would have another.
 Biggest complement of your car? - R.P.
Last year I parked the X1 outside a Census colleague's gaff to balance the books so to speak. His drive exits near the smoker's corner outside the village pub, when I came back to it two snoutcasts were clearly discussing the granite faced features of my lovely little SUV. As I approached one said to me - "Ugly innit ?" I took it as a compliment !
See? even beer goggles can't make the X1 look attractive.
 Biggest complement of your car? - R.P.
I know (he said lovingly)
 Biggest complement of your car? - swiss tony
>> Apart from ........ and a very elusive leak in the boot sums up
>> my Ford things that needed fixing,

Seal between rear panel and rear lamp?
>> >> Apart from ........ and a very elusive leak in the boot sums up
>> >> my Ford things that needed fixing,
>>
>> Seal between rear panel and rear lamp?
>>
No. At first I thought it was that well known problem but mine is a saloon so quite different lights.

The expected syptoms were the same/similar. Water appearing at the bottom of the light units and lots was across running into the spare wheel well.
I examined the seals around the lamp units and they looked OK

After much effort I eventually found that it was an incomplete weld, probably about an inch long but impossible to measure and all but difficult to see.
The weld was above one of the light units where the rear corner of the boot lid overlaps the body. There is a small length of sort of thick spongy sellotape at right angles across the weld that acts a basic sort of shock absorber and prevents metal to metal contact when the lid closes. This also disguised the problem.
Once I had found the problem that bit of tape came off and a tiny tiny bead of silicone on the seam sorted it.
 Biggest complement of your car? - swiss tony
>> >> >> Apart from ........ and a very elusive leak in the boot sums up
>> >> >> my Ford things that needed fixing,
>> >>
>> >> Seal between rear panel and rear lamp?
>> >>
>> No. At first I thought it was that well known problem but mine is a
>> saloon so quite different lights.
>>

I too had a saloon, which DID leak from there.
Well, after I replaced the seals it stopped....

Glad you got yours sorted.
 Biggest complement of your car? - Avant
I thought that this thread was going to be about the biggest complement of people that you could get into your car......
 Biggest complement of your car? - John H
>> complement >>
Avant:
A couple of posts have commented on "complement" but seems too subtle for many to spot.

Last edited by: John H on Mon 19 Mar 12 at 08:54
 Biggest complement of your car? - Pat
Could it be some of us are just tactful?

Pat
 Biggest complement of your car? - John H
>> Could it be some of us are just tactful?
>>
>> Pat
>>

I was going to say "some of us" means a minority club with membership of just one.

But your untactful post excludes you from that club!

;)

Biggest complement of your car? - Cliff Pope
24 in a mini - or was that a phone box?
It could be that some of us are bright enough not to have to conform to the "norm" or then again it could be that some of us don't care, or again it could be that some of us are not narrow minded, sad and petty enough to jump on such errors with undisguised glee.

I wont tell you which of those thoughts is mine. I'll let you decide in your own mind.

Sorry Pat, as you know, I don't do "tact"
 Biggest complement of your car? - Manatee
>>It could be that some of us are bright enough not to have to conform to the "norm"

...like those annoying gits who are signalling right as they exit a roundabout before they get to where you are waiting for them to pass? I bet they write discrete when they mean discreet as well! I never realised it was a sign of superior brainpower :-)

Could be a very useful trait in an accountant though - "what would you like it to add up to?"

>> ...like those annoying gits who are signalling right as they exit a roundabout before they
>> get to where you are waiting for them to pass?

makes you drive more circumspectly and carefully in our presence,

>> Could be a very useful trait in an accountant though - "what would you like
>> it to add up to?"

Don't they all do that?
 Biggest complement of your car? - Pat
My silence was tactful, my post wasn't meant to be:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts