Motoring Discussion > Shell perspex car - oil advert Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 7

Shell perspex car - oil advert - BobbyG
tinyurl.com/23wr69h

Quite clever? I like the comment, anything is possible if the budget is there!!
 Shell perspex car - oil advert - FotheringtonTomas
'bout 3 weeks too late!
 Shell perspex car - oil advert - XJSguy
Well I for one enjoyed the link. It raises a few points. I had never seen the advertisement in question, considering the effort and cost put in to it, if I was Shell I would want to know from the Agency how/where/when the advert was placed, because I am typical of the demographic (car but with a performance vehicle that I care about) that should be interested in buying this product. Also I do watch a fair bit of TV. So how come I missed it?

Second point is about the painstaking creation of the Perspex Nissan. It is also too easy when you see something clever on TV to automatically presume these days it is CGI, how refreshing to see the car built from numerous Perspex parts and actually assembled with most items kept to scale. It was interesting the enginer was scaled up? Might make an interesting idea for Nissan (double to capacity of the 370Z please!).

I might certainly think about Shell when I next put oil in my XJS, but for me I would like to learn more about the distinction between lubrication (the primary purpose of engine oil) and cleaning (the point being made about this product). Does the oil contain cleaning additive, and if so what happens to the “dirt” that it removes from around the engine, especially on older cars with more accumulated dirt. Is the kind of dirt we are talking about fine enough to dissolve in the oil and not cause issues (increased friction) until the oil is changed? Does it effect how often the oil needs to be changed?, or is it picked up by your oil filter which means that needs to be changed. It kind of has to go somewhere.

GUY
 Shell perspex car - oil advert - Bellboy
FANTASTIC-------------
 Shell perspex car - oil advert - Dog
This is one for all you Halfords semi sin merchants :)
 Shell perspex car - oil advert - Skoda
>> what happens to the “dirt” that it removes from around the engine

It's suspended in the oil. Oil filters are coarser too nowadays so the smaller bits don't get removed from circulation until oil change time.

Although modern oils are able to provide "protection" for much extended periods, they can't seem to find a way of dealing with deposits other than frequent oil changes.

The very finest of suspended particulate can be burnt off. The larger stuff can form sludge which undoes the best efforts of fully synthentic, low ash oil.

There's a few forums dedicated to oil on the web. They're good for checking out whether an oil you're about to buy is worth the money. For smaller quantities, it seems Halfords punches with the heavyweights at a fraction of the cost.
 Shell perspex car - oil advert - TheManWithNoName
If debris is suspended in the oil and the filter and therefore changed during routine servicing, how come the Northstar V8 engine was capable of 100k miles between services. Bigger filters or a larger oil capacity than was actually needed?

Why can't all car engines be built like that. It would save oil since you would probably only ever need two services, three at most before the car was scrapped.
 Shell perspex car - oil advert - Dave_
>> the Northstar V8 engine was capable of 100k miles between services

Between major services. To quote from a US website:

One of GM's goals with the Northstar program was to reduce maintenance to a minimum. The engines are factory-equipped with 100,000-mile platinum-tipped spark plugs and five-year/150,000-mile Dex-Cool antifreeze, and use chain-driven cams to eliminate the need to replace timing belts. Except for oil and filter changes, there isn't much to maintain - unless something breaks.

The newer Northstar V8s use an "oil life monitor" light rather than a specific mileage interval or service schedule to indicate when oil changes are needed. The PCM tracks engine rpm, operating temperature, load, running time and ambient temperature to calculate oil life. Up until 1999, the maximum oil change interval under ideal conditions was 7,500 miles. In 2000, GM bumped the upper limit to 10,000 miles. In 2002, they did away with the upper limit altogether stretching the oil change interval to 12,000 miles or more, depending on operating conditions. However, GM does say the oil should be changed at least once a year regardless of mileage.

Latest Forum Posts