Motoring Discussion > Admitting to having had points on driving licence Legal Questions
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 7

Admitting to having had points on driving licence - L'escargot
I understand that you don't have to admit to having had an endorsement on your licence when it has expired, but what happens if someone wants to see your paper licence when the endorsement is still showing on it?
 Admitting to having had points on driving licence - Iffy
They see you have expired points.

That was one of the reasons the old paper licence was folded in the plastic folder the way it was.

If you were stopped, the police officer could see all your driver details he needed, but not your points position.

Thus any decision to report you was not influenced one way or the other.

Admitting to having had points on driving licence - rtj70
If a policeman looked at a licence with expired points they would treat it as clean.

Remember points need declaring to insurance companies for 5 years from conviction. They may not count for totting up anymore after three years but the insurance want to know. If they are an SP30 or similar they probably don't make much difference.... unless you've had lots in the five years. I'm sure if you've accrued 12 points or more over 5 years they will impact an insurance quote.
 Admitting to having had points on driving licence - Meldrew
Iffy will know if this is true or myth. I used to said that if you produced your licence in the manner he describes, entitlement to drive could be seen but the points could not - BUT if you gave the officer the licence he was entitled to open it fully and would thus see the points, expired or otherwise.
...Iffy will know if this is true or myth...

Not sure if I 'know' that, but it was my understanding the officer should not remove the licence from the folder, but if you presented it with no folder, he could look at both sides.

I think it was probably more a matter of good policing procedure than law.

There's nothing to stop you attempting some emotional blackmail by saying: "I have nine points and if I am reported for this relatively minor offence, I will lose my licence under totting-up."

Admitting to having had points on driving licence - Meldrew
And there isn't much to stop him saying "Tough". I do understand the point you are making re licence presentation though.
...And there isn't much to stop him saying "Tough"...

Quite so, all such attempts can go both ways:

"I wasn't going to bother reporting this clown, but now I know he will get a ban, I'm going to."

Admitting to having had points on driving licence - Cliff Pope
You have reminded me to check which way my licence is folded, and I found it was actually displaying the points page (not that there are any, or ever have been).
It was actually quite difficult to fold it at all, as the seams are on the point of disintegration from all the occasions I have had to extract and photocopy it for ID authentication purposes.

Latest Forum Posts