Motoring Discussion > NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 18

NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover - Dulwich Estate
Natwest Insurance have got it all wrong - or have they ?

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2094824/NatWest-wont-insure-car-Im-away-months.html

According to them, if you spend more than 90 days abroad in a year, then you are not a UK resident and your UK insurance cover is invalid.

Another case of bonkers.
 NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover - Bromptonaut
Am I alone in having a problem with:

It also adds that one of its underwriting terms and conditions is that you are a permanent resident of the UK. They define this as: someone who is in the UK for more than nine months in a policy year.
This is outlined in the policy booklet on page 18 under the heading ‘Section G, Territorial limits and foreign use’.
It states ‘Cover in these countries (EU countries, see policy booklet for full reference) only applies if your main permanent home is in the United Kingdom and your visit abroad is for less than 90 days

Seems to me to conflate a residence qualification with the terms for insuring the vehicle while out of the country.

Of course it may be editing in 'This is Money'

NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover - Meldrew
Common sense (remember that?) would suggest to me that if you own a UK property, pay council tax and don't sublet it while you are away, have a UK income other than the state retirement pension, own a UK based and registered car and pay UK income tax then you are a UK resident.

HMRC rules re residency are very harsh and all encompassing.Over 183 days a year in UK makes you resident and another definition is more than 90 days a year, averaged over 4 years. Certainly, for anybod other than Nat West, 3 months away wouldn't make one an expat!
 NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover - Robbie34
LV give you 180 days foreign cover.
Yes but the problem referred to is cancellation of UK cover if you are out of country for more than 90 days - if NatWest is your insurer. Most reputable companies will give you a minimum of 30 days foreign use as part of your package.
 NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover - Dave
The EU has another definition of residency, although it is rather flaky. I often go over the car insurers overseas time limit, but accept the fact that the cover may be reduced to 3rd party only. Assuming, of course, they can prove how long the car has been out of the country. As far as the uk insurer is concerned, I'm a uk resident. And as far as my swedish insurer is concerned, I'm a swedish resident.

It's all a bit of a grey area. Not least because it's actually agains the rules to drive a foreign registered car if you are a resident of a country. So if I'm a resident of sweden I can't drive a UK car, and vice versa.
 NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover - neiltoo
My SAGA policy gives me as much foreign motoring as I want.
To anyone who hasn't got the time to read the article, the key thing is not about cover for your car when it's abroad - it's about cover in the UK !

".......It also adds that one of its underwriting terms and conditions is that you are a permanent resident of the UK. They define this as: someone who is in the UK for more than nine months in a policy year.

This is outlined in the policy booklet on page 18 under the heading ‘Section G, Territorial limits and foreign use’.

It states ‘Cover in these countries (EU countries, see policy booklet for full reference) only applies if your main permanent home is in the United Kingdom and your visit abroad is for less than 90 days.’......"

The final sentence does muddy the waters a bit - I think the insurers may have misunderstood their own conditions.

Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Fri 3 Feb 12 at 10:57
 NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover - Robbie34
>> To anyone who hasn't got the time to read the article, the key thing is
>> not about cover for your car when it's abroad - it's about cover in the
>> UK !

Yes, I realise that, but LV do not consider I have forsaken UK residency if I'm away for the whole period, and I'm fully covered in the UK.

When was insured with Saga they gave cover for 364 days.
I only get 90 days from SAGA but it is enough. If I go far I fly and hire; I have 2 people to Salzburg with a proper airline and a week of a VW Golf for £550. I couldn't drive there for that with any car @ about 30p a mile plus the cost of x-ing La Manche
 NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover - sherlock47
But if you read the article

When I contacted NatWest, it appears to have been a case of crossed wires. It said: 'The reason the decision was made was because the customer told our staff that he would be out the country for six months of the year.

'As he told you he is only away for three months of the year, we will give him the benefit of doubt and continue to insure him.'

So what is the fuss?

What is the doubt? He either is, or is not, in the country for 9 months of the year.
What is the doubt? He either is, or is not, in the country for 9 months of the year.

Not so much doubt but it seems to be policy condition of which I was unaware - it could catch someone out, so the issue is worth raising. I, for one, am on the cusp of this time period.
 NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover - John H
>> Not so much doubt but it seems to be policy condition of which I was unaware - it could catch someone out, so the issue is worth raising. I, for one, am on the cusp of this time period. >>.

Errr I am not sure what the policy condition is on your Policy that you are worried about.
Do you want to use your car abroad for more than 90 days?

3 Extending your policy cover abroad
In return for any extra premium we may charge , we will extend your policy and
give you the same level of cover as you have in Great Britain , Northern Ireland,
the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands for the agreed
period . Your car will also be covered during journeys between those countries by
a recognised carrier.
Cover in these countries only applies if your main permanent home is in the United Kingdom and your visit abroad is for less than 90 days .

So, if you want that cover abroad, you must have a "main permanent home" in the UK and your visit abroad is less than 90 days. If either of those conditions fails to be met, you won't get cover abroad.

The newspaper report is not something I would rely on to become "worried of Dulwich"; if I was worried, I would contact Natwest to confirm it in writing.

Last edited by: John H on Fri 3 Feb 12 at 14:01
Then what is the "Doubt" of which they have so patronisingly given him the benefit? See copy below from earlier post

When I contacted NatWest, it appears to have been a case of crossed wires. It said: 'The reason the decision was made was because the customer told our staff that he would be out the country for six months of the year.

'As he told you he is only away for three months of the year, we will give him the benefit of doubt and continue to insure him.'

So what is the fuss?
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 3 Feb 12 at 14:36
Ahem !

Who said I was worried ? Who said it was my policy ?

This is a motoring forum and I simply thought the issue raised was sufficiently significant for it to be brought to the forum's bank of knowledge. I am pleased to have done so.

I'll now get my coat, it's chilly outside.
Stay put and stay warm, please. The only person of colour in the woodpile is NatWEST!
Not going anywhere.
 NatWest Insurance - 90 days abroad, NO UK cover - John H
>> Who said I was worried ? Who said it was my policy ?

To quote your post:
"policy condition of which I was unaware - it could catch someone out, so the issue is worth raising. I, for one, am on the cusp of this time period

>> I simply thought the issue raised was sufficiently significant for it to be brought to the forum's bank of knowledge. >>

remind me, what's the significant issue that is bothering you?
;-)
Last edited by: John H on Fri 3 Feb 12 at 16:19
Latest Forum Posts