Motoring Discussion > I'm very calm, I promise... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 12

I'm very calm, I promise... - Manatee
I admit to recent inattention to the needle on the speedometer. No excuse. But I do consider myself law abiding and responsible, at least I make the effort. I have VED, insurance, and where applicable MoTs.

I have just paid £60 fixed penalty for speeding, and £85 for a speed awareness course. Fair enough.

I have, stupidly, just watched an episode of "Motorway Cops".

The CPS offered no evidence against the occupants of a car in which 10Kg of heroin was found.

An uninsured driver of a Bentley Continental stopped on a motorway, with a provisional licence, was not charged.

The driver of a car knowingly displaying the wrong number plates (vanity plates that he had not transferred to the car) and an out of date tax disc was fined £60.

et cetera.

I must on no account read the Daily Mail for at least a month, I'm too susceptible just now.
 I'm very calm, I promise... - ....
The 10kgs one did surprise me when the bloke in the van got 8 years based on the bag thrown onto the grass verge.

Matey with the vanity plates also had some happy snaps in the post to come which may or may not have seen him banned.
Missed the bit about the one in the van. Pleased about that - a very unpleasant character, shame he couldn't be taken out of circulation permanently but I don't suppose that's realistic.
 I'm very calm, I promise... - Zero
I have to say, someone, whom I dont know, wants their ar... Harris kicking from here to breakfast time for the 10kg of heroine failure.

I'm very calm, I promise... - Alastairw
I feel sorry for the van hire co tbh. Its local to me, and I know the owner slightly. I'd be a bit hacked off if the police had rammed one of my vans off the motorway.
>>I'd be a bit hacked off if the police had rammed one of my vans off the motorway.

Or, put another way, hacked off if one of my my hirers had obliged the police to ram my van off the motorway.
 I'm very calm, I promise... - Woodster
There are potential explanations to the man getting away with the 10kg of drugs. It has to be proven that it was in his posession. If the van was hired or borrowed and he said he knew nothing about it, then that's it, you can't prove he knew it was there. That may seem ridiculous but if you're sat on the jury then that's the dilemma you'd be faced with. Innocent man to prison on your conscience?
 I'm very calm, I promise... - Iffy
I didn't see the programme, but I wonder if the drugs man is a registered police informant.

I'm not a great believer in wheels within wheels in these circumstances, but there was a case a few years ago where a druggie got a lenient sentence - it led to a few 'barmy judge' stories.

We were told from a source who ought to have known that the sentence was partly due to the defendant being an informant.

By not disclosing this openly, it was hoped to preserve his position within the criminal underworld and get more use from him.

I'm very calm, I promise... - henry k
>>It has to be proven that it was in his posession.
>>If the van was hired or borrowed and he said he knew nothing about it, then that's it, you can't prove he knew it was there.
>>
IIRC there have been other examples on cops programmes where this situation has happened.
Perhaps it is a new approach when transporting large amounts of drugs.
A bonus is that a hire car is unlikely to be on the database
 I'm very calm, I promise... - Meldrew
I read what you say but I thought that one got a fine and points OR a course. What you got was a fine and course but NO points - am I right!
 I'm very calm, I promise... - Bromptonaut
>> I read what you say but I thought that one got a fine and points
>> OR a course. What you got was a fine and course but NO points -
>> am I right!

Mr D will no doubt 'splain himself but IIRC he got caught twice. Once near Hemel and second time in Oxon.
 I'm very calm, I promise... - Dutchie
These safety money camaras are a blinking nuisance get writ of them ASP..

Nothing to do with road safety in my opinion a added tax.
>> Mr D will no doubt 'splain himself but IIRC he got caught twice. Once near
>> Hemel and second time in Oxon.

Correct. My attempt at being a master criminal has failed almost before it started. SAC, £85, no fine or points for the 47 in a 40. £60 fixed penalty and 3 pts for the 45 in 30 in Oxon.
Latest Forum Posts