Motoring Discussion > Supermini with extra comfortable seats? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 14

Supermini with extra comfortable seats? - Crankcase
We are at the stage of looking for a replacement car.

We chose the Aygo we have partly because of the comfortable seats, which in the Platinum model (now withdrawn) are part leather and soft yet supportive. The leather bit isn't important, but the comfort is.

The problem we have is that both Mrs C and I feel the seat comfort is very important. Having tried the Fiat 500 and the Hyundai I10, in both cases the seats were too hard and scratchy and we felt like we were perched on them. Neither offer an option to add "better" seats.

However, I can't find a supermini with leather seats as an option other than another Aygo (and then only in black, which is not a colour we want) or a Citroen C1, which is the same car anyway.

So - does anyone know of a car in this segment we could add to the short-list that has really comfortable seats, not something that feels as if it should be in a bus?

(We do have other criteria which I'll not bother to list here, but other contenders may well fall foul of those. But that would just complicate this post at this stage.)

Supermini with extra comfortable seats? - movilogo
How do you define a comfortable seat?

If you want a soft seat, you can always add a cushion yourself :)

Most small cars are not famous for comfort. However, I think Nissan Note is a good one. I drove one for 7 days and even though it didn't have seat height adjustment (on that car), I still felt quite comfortable.

Supermini with extra comfortable seats? - Tigger
I know how you feel. I paid quite a bit extra for the sports heated seats in my BMW 3-series when I had back problems - they were wonderful. Indeed, I'd go out and sit in the car (with the heat on) when my back was playing up!

The seats in most small cars seem to me to be very poor.
 Supermini with extra comfortable seats? - Zero
I find slightly harder seats are better, and of these I have found VW seats to be the best.

SWMBO is severely critical of car seats, but 3k miles around Europe last year in the Seat raised nothing but praise for the VW seats fitted.

The latest versions of the polo (tested by SWMBO) appear to continue this feature.
 Supermini with extra comfortable seats? - Hard Cheese

Clio III Privilége and Initiale.

www.renault.co.uk/cars/model/new-clio/keyfeatures.aspx
Dont be tempted with standard Clio 3 seats - simply shocking, SWMBO hates them
 Supermini with extra comfortable seats? - bathtub tom
One man's meat etc.

The most comfortable seats I've experienced were a '73 Austin Maxi (felt like you were sitting on a bar stool behind a bus steering wheel) and a Vauxhall HA Viva van (only had about half-an-inch of padding).

First impressions can be completely wrong, it's what it's like after you've sat on it for a couple of hours.

Yes, it was only after a straight 7 hour stint in the Altea that we realised just how good the seats were.
>> Dont be tempted with standard Clio 3 seats - simply shocking SWMBO hates them
>>

What model is yours RF?

Cant remember, one down from the dynamique (expression perhaps?)
>> Cant remember one down from the dynamique (expression perhaps?)
>>

And what engine?

We have had a look at a 1.2 TCE Turbo Dynamique, good spec more classy inside than the Expression, soft touch plastics etc, possibly nicer inside that the Fiesta Zetec. We nearly bought a new Fiesta in scrappage in January then wife decided on a used TT, that is still on the cards though a nearly new Clio is appealing, very good value under 12 months old.
1.5dci in lowest ouput.

Its getting 60mpg, smooth, quiet, and £30 year road tax.
 Supermini with extra comfortable seats? - Crankcase
Many thanks for all the suggestions. I now have a new candidate to investigate, so it was a worthwhile exercise.

As ever, all your input is appreciated.
 Supermini with extra comfortable seats? - MrTee43
What about the new Citroen DS3.

I know how a seat looks, bears no relation to how it feels, but the ones in this pic look inviting and given Citroens history of comfortable cars.....

www.netcarshow.com/citroen/2011-ds3/1600x1200/wallpaper_1f.htm
 Supermini with extra comfortable seats? - MVP
We bought new leather sofas in January

I normally sit in the same seat

Last night I wapped places - the seat was so much harder !!

I guess seats are like shoes - they wear-in and soften-up, so don't think brand new car seats will stay the same
Latest Forum Posts