Motoring Discussion > High-tech speed cameras Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MrTee43 Replies: 8

High-tech speed cameras - MrTee43
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267278/Motorists-spied-filmed-police-carry-secret-trial-new-high-tech-speed-camera.html

Who says we want this ?
 High-tech speed cameras - RattleandSmoke
And people say my new Panda is going to be slow with 53bhp! Well hopefully I shall own my Panda long enough to still be driving it in a time when every single road will have speed cameras. Oh and the supermarkets will all have empty shelves as nobody will have driving licences any more because we are all banned!

I do not ever speed but I have to confess to sometimes wondering over 20 in 20 zones but I usualy notice if I am going above 22.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 20 Apr 10 at 22:18
 High-tech speed cameras - Runfer D'Hills
I never did break the lower speed limits deliberately. Always took the view that most of them were there for mostly good reasons. With the upper ones I admit I always used to treat them with more discretion, more as a guideline really. Depending on traffic and weather conditions and the capability of whatever I was driving I'd make a decision as to how closely I'd adhere to the limit. In some cases of course I'd drive far below it if conditions dictated too.

Anyway, the camera thing has done its job on the likes of me. I don't even bother to hurry at all now. I just sit there with all the other sheep, desperately trying to find ways of keeping my mind alert. Empty motorways late at night are the worst.....indeed the road to hell.

Probably for the best eh ? Don't have to think much at all now.
 High-tech speed cameras - rtj70
I wonder how much power my brother's 950cc Fiesta had! Or my first car, a Fiesta 1.1l (1990? I think). It was slow.
 High-tech speed cameras - MrTee43
So, the Government want us to buy new cars, witness the scrappage scheme, but they tax us to the hilt to use them on the road.

They don't bother repairing urban roads so our cars get damaged and worn out quicker.

They don't want you in the large cities.

They charge you to park on the roads, in hospital car parks etc.

Now, they are cooking up schemes to automatically fine you if you stray over a speed limit and some of those are being lowered now, no doubt part of a grand plan.

Are we motorists insane to put up with all this ?

High-tech speed cameras - diddy1234
so the safety camera partnerships were meant to be used where accidents or fatalities had occurred.

So what is the message with these then ?
Will the police state that the whole of the UK is an accident black spot ?

The main road through my local town has five locations for 'safety camera' vans but none of these locations are where accidents or fatalities actually occurred.

what a scam.

but the good news is that since the police cannot keep the revenue from fines there has been less cameras installed for the past few years.

Has anyone else noticed this trend ?

Maybe this idea will not go ahead after all.

Oh and while I am thinking of safety camera partnerships, why are they staffed by civilians and only active between the hours of 9am and 5pm ?
Do accidents only happen then ?

what a scam...
 High-tech speed cameras - swiss tony
>> I wonder how much power my brother's 950cc Fiesta had! Or my first car a
>> Fiesta 1.1l (1990? I think). It was slow.
>>
950 IIRC was about 35ps, 1.1 43ps on the Mk1's, both were lowered for Mk2 and again later I think.
My Mk1 1.1 was anything but slow.... it had an RS tuning kit on it, I upset a fair few people with that! (it ate 2.0 capri's for breakfast........)
 High-tech speed cameras - SteelSpark
I did some kind of "which party's policies most closely match your own beliefs" quiz (on the BBC site I think), which asked questions on law and order, things like DNA databases, CCTV, speed cameras, other surveillance and police powers.

I am generally more in favour of these things.

I had assumed that my view where probably closer to the Tories, but it seems that both the Tories and Lib Dems are against expansion of this kind of of thing, whereas Labour seem all for it (Labour were typically at "strongly support", with the Tories and Lib Dems both very close to "strongly oppose").

It could be that, to win, you just need a different policy than the government to differentiate yourself and then change your view when you get it, but maybe if people want less of this kind of stuff they should not vote Labour.

High-tech speed cameras - percy
Re camera van operation times. The traps I've noticed recently.
Sunday 11 April at approx 2pm at a 'normal' position on the industrial estate road into Wallingford.
Tuesday 20 April at approx 7:50 am at a new position leaving Shillingford towards Oxford.
Both in the 30 limit.
Probably the same van, they don't seem to stay very long, perhaps a couple of hours, then move on.
Starting to keep a very close eye on the speedo.....
Latest Forum Posts