Motoring Discussion > New thought on what to car to get Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 5

New thought on what to car to get - Stuu
I was mulling it over last night and what stood out about my car is that people said its not selling because its obscure - well that sort of suggests that I should perhaps look at something equally obscure to replace it as values will be equally low one would assume.

With that in mind, my idea was the Daihatsu Grand Move which is good not only on space, but its fairly economical and being under 1500cc, will have the cheaper tax. Just an idea but since few people have heard of them, it does look like they are bargin priced as a result.
Im not sure if theres anything else in the vein, suggestions of secret bargins welcome!
 New thought on what to car to get - Skoda
Anything with a 4.5L+ engine just now has got to be a scoop while joe public frets over the double whammy £900 road tax headlines + £1.25 / litre petrol.

Merc S class 6l
BMW X5 4.8l
BMW 7 series 5.5l

Pay silly cheap money to relieve the trader of his forecourt liability, then arrive in comfort forevermore :-)
 New thought on what to car to get - Zero
So you have a car that proving hard to sell*, and you want to buy another that will be even harder to sell?

*to be honest its been up for 9 days, in the scheme of things selling second hand cars, its not that long.
The difference is, that at the cheaper end of the market, people tend to buy on price and condition, not badge. If I buy something for £800 or so, in a few years time, it will be about £500 and its much easier to get £500 for an obscure car than it is to get £1800.
I bet you anything you like, when I sell on this old Mazda, it wont be any hassle at all to shift - ive sold two before and there was a queue, despite it being harddly a car most people think of looking for.
Its been up for sale 2 and a half weeks, which is more than 9 days ;-)
 New thought on what to car to get - Zero
Fair enough but you are quite clearly saying you should buy a car that wont sell then you are saying they sell on price and condition - not badge

You cant have it both ways, if you deliberately buy a car that wont sell becuase its cheap, you end up in the same boat. you have to. Its that or run it till it drops.

Oh and on the 11th (9 days ago) you said "my car is up for sale - had loads of interest today"

the inference being you had just but it up for sale. Its still not long - it will sell if its priced in comparison to those on autotrader, just may take a while
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 20 Apr 10 at 09:42
Im saying buy a car that will be harder to sell BUT cheaper to buy in the first place, which allows me to take less on the Charade which it looks like I may have to. It is simply much cheaper to sell a cheap car - if this was 5 years down the line and the Charade had 100k on the clock and was up for £595 Im quite sure it would be long gone.

Well I didnt think to declare it on the day I put it up, I wasnt expecting cross-examination ;-)

Im just riding out the wait now, its sitting in my ash-proof garage all clean and waiting for a new home.
Latest Forum Posts