Motoring Discussion > Serviced the Mitsubishi Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 20

Serviced the Mitsubishi - Zero
Today, as befits my demotion from company car league to "own your own" poverty, I serviced the Lancer.

Its 14 months since the last service, and bang on 9k miles. Thats means is the 3 years/27k miles service (even tho its only done 24k)

I have a Mitsubishi service check list sheet, so off I toddle to my local dealer for the OEM bits required. The helpfull guy at Chertsey Mitsubishi relieves me of £52.89 for
a new air filter, new pollen filter, oil filter and sump plug washer.

I decide the change the air filter in his car park, as its a two spring clips simple job.
Instant gratification. The old one didnt look bad, just some insects and discolouration but must have been clogged as the car immediately feels much better, with the flat spot and slight uneveness instantly gone. Clearly three years is too long for this service item despite this being the interval in the check sheet.

Toddle off to halford for 5 litres of 10/40 semi synth, 4 NGK spark plugs, A litre of gearbox oil top up, a draining receptacle and a free set of screwdrivers (not bad quality as it happens) and slip 42 quid into thier till.

Get home and change the pollen filter ( 5 minute job)

Lubricate all locks, hinges and bonnet catch with spray grease.

Set too to change the spark plugs. These are buried down well shafts 3 inches deep with coil packs mounted above each pair of plugs. Luckily i have a nice thin plug socket so these come out no issue, and new ones in (come pre gapped) Coil packs cleaned and clipped back on top.

>There is a thread on technical about the old plugs<

Next its the engine oil. Warm up the engine, - not too hot, and jack up the front. ( I have a sloping drive so the car is almost level). 17mm socket on the drain plug, one tap with a hammer on the socket bar and out comes the drain plug. Hot oil over my hand (lovely) and away she pours into the receptacle. Remove the filter ( a firm hand held grip was enough), hot oil over my hand again, and away she drains as well.

Cup of tea, and hot cross bun tasting of oil while it drains.

Refit sump plug (with new washer), smear oil round new filter O ring, and fit that back as well.

Top up with 4 litres of Halfords finest, so clean I cant barely see it on the dip stick. Take off the multiplugs from the coil packs and turn the engine over to get the oil all moved around. Check the dip stick, and top up with another half a litre.

Refit multiplugs, and fire the engine into life, look under car for leaks - all fine. Pop it off the jack and axle stand. Tomorrow I just need to check the gearbox oil level.

Now if you were buying a used car, would you be happy with a filled out Mitsubishi service sheet, with all the required items ticked, and receipts for the bits stapled to it as a completed service record?
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 19 Apr 10 at 21:09
 Serviced the Mitsubishi - Jacks

>> Now if you were buying a used car would you be happy with a filled
>> out Mitsubishi service sheet with all the required items ticked and receipts for the bits
>> stapled to it as a completed service record?
>>
Hopefully - I do the same as you with my wife's MINI, fill out the book with date/mileage staple the receipts and a marked up service check list complete with oily fingerprints on it.

like you I'm happy that the jobs been done properly and that's really all I care about.

I can't ever remember any buyer looking at the service book anyway - even when I've traded in at the main dealer.

J
 Serviced the Mitsubishi - Dog
>>> would you be happy with a filled out Mitsubishi service sheet <<<

Yes but - pity it wasn't Millers or Castrol full synth ... or even OEM.
Its a low tech low stressed engine. 1.6, 16 valve SOHC, Multipoint injection, normally aspirated 98 Bhp. With oil changed at 9k intervals

Semi synth is fine.
 Serviced the Mitsubishi - Runfer D'Hills
Would have thought it was the sort of car you'd keep until it dies isn't it? Service history in that instance would really only be relevant to you. Well, that's what I'd do with it anyway. Keep it fettled until it pegs and then buy a replacement
 Serviced the Mitsubishi - DP
That's the attitude I've taken with both the Golfs. They're either worked on by a mate (VW tech for 25 yrs), or yours truly depending on what it is / how busy he is. I haven't had the book stamped on the TDI since I bought it 18 months ago, but I know it's as well maintained as any other out there.

Most of the service schedule consists of checks, and frankly I don't believe main dealers bother with all of them, if any.

Keep bills and receipts for parts, and hand write in the service book what's done and when (VW give you helpful tick boxes for minor and major services, plus additional parts such as timing belt). As others have said, I've sold cars with impeccable, documented, expensive main dealer service histories and not had the buyer so much as open the book.

Serviced the Mitsubishi - Baz
Can you post a brief review of the car please Zero? I was looking at one in the car park last Sat and sizewise it would be just right as the next family car. And it's a bargain too. What's your opinion? MPG etc?

Cheers
Baz
 Serviced the Mitsubishi - Armel Coussine
Saw a lot of them in Oz and liked the cut of their jib. Does it drive decently?

I can remember earlier Mitsubishis in Africa. Quiet, tough and rapid, when new anyway.
>> Can you post a brief review of the car please Zero? I was looking at
>> one in the car park last Sat and sizewise it would be just right as
>> the next family car. And it's a bargain too. What's your opinion? MPG etc?

Yes will do, Should appear some time tomorrow.
>> the next family car. And it's a bargain too. What's your opinion? MPG etc?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Baz
>>

Baz - Review posted in its own thread.
 Serviced the Mitsubishi - hawkeye
>> Cup of tea, and hot cross bun tasting of oil while it drains.

No rubber gloves? Then your bun would have tasted of latex instead.
 Serviced the Mitsubishi - Hard Cheese

So that's just under 95 quid excluding tea and buns, a Ford dealer would do that for you on a three year old Ford for £99 all in including a stamp in the book.

Serviced the Mitsubishi - Skoda
Nearer £250 for the ford dealer to do Oil, Oil filter, Air filter, Plugs, Pollen Filter etc. etc.

www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/ServicingyourFord/VehicleServicing/FordValueService

£99 doesn't seem to get you much worthwhile, apart from in the door so then can hook you up for something more expensive!
As said, 99 quid will get you Oil, oil filter, and greasy prints on your bonnet only

Mitsubishi charge 133 quid for the same Oil, Oil Filter, and greasy fingerprints.

I did a proper, by the book, full 27k / three years service for 90 odd quid. (the tea and buns were free)
May I suggest you retune the car radio to BBC Radio 1xtra so as to drown out the top end clatter on cold starts due to the 'less than' ideal oil.

:)
Muttley , shut yer trap, the oil is good enough and easily meets the spec.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 21 Apr 10 at 17:31
>>>Muttley , shut yer trap, the oil is good enough and easily meets the spec.<<<

Quite an in depth lengthy piece on the Lancer in wikiped that states ~
iridium spark plugs *to lower emissions* and to help extend major service intervals for lower cost of ownership.
I was suprised to see the iridium plugs for sure. They should last to 54k miles.

I will wire brush them clean and keep them for the next major service.
 Serviced the Mitsubishi - Bellboy

>> I will wire brush them clean and keep them for the next major service.
>>
brass brush only if you please
raid the shoe cleaner box for the hush puppy suede rejuvenate brush.....
>> I did a proper by the book full 27k / three years service for 90
>> odd quid. (the tea and buns were free)
>>

And today I checked the gearbox oil level (fine) and the wheels came off to check brake flexis and pads. The offside outer pad has worn slighty more than the others, but all have loads of meat on. I plusgassed the bleed nipples as I intend to bleed the brakes (and change the brake fluid) this weekend.

(yes yes I know I said changing the brake fluid is a waste of time, but at this rate the pads are not gonna be changed for a long time, so I figured i would do it)
 Serviced the Mitsubishi - Bellboy
as you intend keeping this car
cover everything thats bolted down in loads of grease like nipples when you've bled your system
this way you will never cuss a seized or snapped bolt again
i always blather all brake/fuel lines in grease too as on modern stuff they dont seem to be up to long term rust free ness (obviously not rubber hoses but do the metal ends,forgot their proper name)

nice to see an owner look after his steed
Latest Forum Posts