Motoring Discussion > Toyota Prius III - Hill start Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Kithmo Replies: 2

Toyota Prius III - Hill start - Kithmo
a couple of questions for Prius owners:
Are easy to start off up a hill or is it a complex combination of foot operated parking brake and park button operations ?
Do they roll back if not held on the footbrake or are they similar to conventional autos that have a creep forward ?
In other words, could SWMBO, who is not very technically minded, drive one ;0).
 Toyota Prius III - Hill start - Bagpuss
The Prius is very easy to start on a hill, I should know, I drove one in San Francisco!

When driving a Prius the only things you have to get used to compared to a normal (automatic) car are the fact that the engine doesn't start when you press the Start button and the total lack of noise when you initially press the accelerator pedal, until you exceed 30mph or so when the petrol engine will kick in.
 Toyota Prius III - Hill start - Kithmo
Thanks Bagpuss, I had a test drive in one yesterday and found it easy to drive. It didn't have the inital urge off the mark I expected from an electric motor, it was quite a gentle start, which made it easier in traffic than I thought it would be. The fact that it holds but does not creep like a conventional one means I don't have to keep pressing the brake when in slow moving traffic and dazzling the driver behind, something I always feel guilty of. Also found out that you don't have to use the foot operated parking brake as the "P" button locks the transmission, the same as "P" in a normal auto, although I would use the foot operated one when parked on a slope, as I do the hand brake with my normal auto.
Latest Forum Posts