Motoring Discussion > Notifying DVLA of address change - why? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 8

Notifying DVLA of address change - why? - Mike H
Does anyone know what use DVLA actually makes of driving licence holders addresses? I can see the point for car registration, but I can't think why it is important for a licence.

This isn't a random question. I have moved abroad to another EU country. I can't notify DVLA of my new address because it seems that they will not accept non-UK addresses, although there seems to be an obligation on me to do so. I could get a local driving licence, but I sort of have an attachment to my UK one....it's still on paper. I thought about giving my son's UK address as my new address.

Thoughts anyone?
 Notifying DVLA of address change - why? - Old Navy
So they know where to send the fine and points, the registered keeper may not be the driver.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 18 Apr 10 at 12:13
 Notifying DVLA of address change - why? - Stuu
Easiest soloution is to ring them and ask the question. We know nothing, we ignorant peasents!
 Notifying DVLA of address change - why? - lancara
You'll get as many opinions on this as per the number of ex-pats you meet - my €0.02 - the UK paper licence is not valid for driving in other EU countries as a resident; the plastic one with photo is valid. You need to follow the country's medical rules, e.g., every 10 years in Spain up to age 70, then every 3 years (I think it's just changed from 2 years), even though you are driving on an UK licence
 Notifying DVLA of address change - why? - Dave
The UK licence (paper or plastic) is valid in any eu country until it's expiry date. If paper version, you should also carry some other means of id like your passsport. If, at expiry date you are resident in another counrty, then it should be swapped. The DVLA website says there is no need to notify them of a change of address if you move abroad as they have no way to handle foreign addresses.
 Notifying DVLA of address change - why? - Dwight Van Driver
It helps Plod to ID the person he checks driving. The address can be checked against electoral role etc etc.

I always found an address given that didn't match that shown on the Licence needed a bit more questioning.

dvd
 Notifying DVLA of address change - why? - FuzzyDuck
>> So they know where to send the fine and points the registered keeper may not
>> be the driver.
Nope. The RK is always the first point of call. If the RK wasn't the driver, he then has to supply the name and address of the driver. Where the license is registered too doesn't ever come in to the equation when they are tracking down the driver.
 Notifying DVLA of address change - why? - Old Navy
>> Nope. The RK is always the first point of call.>>

Sorry, not too much experience of that situation. As traffic penalties are an avoidable tax we don't contribute.
 Notifying DVLA of address change - why? - Cliff Pope
>> >> As traffic penalties are an avoidable tax
>> we don't contribute.
>>

Neither do I. But as tax avoidance (as opposed to evasion, which always has been illegal) is now itself becoming frowned upon and targetted by politicians and HMRC, it won't be long before traffic penalty avoidance become unacceptable too.

Would you trust for a politician who avoided traffic penalties? :)
Latest Forum Posts