Motoring Discussion > Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 23

Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Dave
Paid a visit to the local multifranchise (Nissan, Merc, Kia, Land Rover) glass palace today to measure a Kia Sportage for a dog box. I always have a look around anything I'm measuring, just out of interest. It looks ok, a little gharish maybe, plastics are a bit plasticky, but all reasonably pleasant. I noticed the price was 210,00 sek, so about £20K.

On the other side of the showroom was an Evoque, so figured I may as well measure that whilst there. Tiny boot, flimsy parcel shelf with bits of string to lift it up with the tailgate that didn't make a particularly pleasant noise when being electrically lifted. Rest of the car looked quite nice, lots of nice trimmings and a pleasant feel. Then I saw the price - 515,000 sek, or about £50K. £50K!! My god.

Who on earth pays £50K for one of these? Is it worth 2 1/2 times the Kia? I know image is important (to some), but apparently they're sold out for something like 18 months.
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - MD
A friend works there in admin. They are taking on staff on the back of the Evoque!
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - nick1975
Very few pay 50 large. They are 30 - 40 in the uk.
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Stuu
You could spend £30k on a 3-Series, so something as umm, eye catching lets call it, looks cheap at the price.
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Zero
>> Very few pay 50 large. They are 30 - 40 in the uk.

Broadspeed say they can get you a

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque eD4 150hp Pure 2WD MY2012 5dr...

£27999
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Runfer D'Hills
I'm delighted it seems to be in demand. Good for British jobs etc.

However, I do share your thoughts Dave. It's a potential Ugg boot. The buyers will think it's sending out one message when in fact, on the contrary, it's sending the very one they didn't intend...

It'll do very well in Essex in all probability...

:-)
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Auntie Lockbrakes
- 20k for a dog-box? ;-)

Is Sweden one of those countries where "luxury" products are marked-up even higher than usual? I wouldn't have expected the price differential to be quite as high as that. KIA price keenly in all countries, whereas the luxury manufacturers seem to take the michael in smaller markets - simply because they can I guess.

The Sportage is also around GBP20k in NZ, and the Evoque around GBP40k.

But the Evoque will sell well anyway, in the bigger European markets at least...
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 00:31
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Zero
Broadspeed claim to do a

Kia Sportage 1.6 GDi Sportage 1 2WD 5dr...

for £17295
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Lygonos
www.new-car-discount.com/car/kia/sportage-estate/4x4/petrol/manual/1.6-gdi-1-5dr/10/

£15,920 for the KIA.

Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Dog
I likes the R/R Evoke[sic] and I'd ave one tomorrow (if they'd give me £25k px for my old Lancer)

I saw an Evoke the other week (yes, in Cornwall) and I luved it!

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/motors/ken_gibson/4028453/Evoque-rocks.html

Last edited by: Dog on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 10:48
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Hard Cheese

>>Broadspeed say they can get you a

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque eD4 150hp Pure 2WD MY2012 5dr...

£27999>>

>> Broadspeed claim to do a
>>
>> Kia Sportage 1.6 GDi Sportage 1 2WD 5dr...
>>
>> for £17295
>>

I don't particularly like the look of the Evoque though it has to be worth at least £10k more than any Kia pretender.

I don't think I'd mind an Evoque at all but you'd always feel slightly tempted to get a tattoo I expect.

As for a Kia. Well come now.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 11:05
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - R.P.
I had a peek inside an Evoque - really disappointing dashboard. Most unlike a proper Rangie.
Thought I read somewhere that "Posh Spice" had some influence over the aesthetics.

Figures.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 11:12
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Injection Doc
"Evoque"
Just a restyled Freelander 2 although I have to say the FR2 drives very well. Having driven a 2WD & 4WD FR2 not sure I would want a 2WD. Look a right numpty getting stuck somewhere with a 4x4 with 2wd !
At least all the running gear has been well tested.
Better warranty with the Kia ? My Pals Kia Sorento 2.5D had injection failure in France at 4 years old & it turned out the fuel tank had de-laminated ( common problem) so replaced tank & injection system under warranty ! Warranty repair was 1000's so he was well chuffed. Well done Kia
FR2 owner with out of warranty claim by few months !

Big vehicle big money, big bills little support !

Extract from an FR2 Forum

I love the car and it has been faultless throughout the 3 years that I've owned it. But I now feel that I am being taken advantage of with the costs involved. Surely a gearbox should last more than 57,000 miles? LR customer services have been arrogant and just not interested at all. As far as they are concerned it's out of warranty and that's it. End of story.

To cut a long story short I'm now faced with a bill for a gearbox for £3384 + diagnostic costs.
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - -
LR customer services have been arrogant and just not interested at all.
>> To cut a long story short I'm now faced with a bill for a gearbox
>> for £3384 + diagnostic costs.
>>

Now thats when you know if a maker is any use.

Amazing, LR gearbox goes pop around 60k miles just out of warranty, i bet the service desk has never known that happen before....RADA trained applicants preferred for front desk presumably.

Why do people give their hard earned to companies who must, judging by the way they treat their customers, despise them...just can't get me head around it.
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Clk Sec
www.reliabilityindex.com/news/48/The%20most%20reliable%204x4s%20revealed
"Why do people give their hard earned to companies who must, judging by the way they treat their customers, despise them...just can't get me head around it."

Spot on Gordonbennet

I too have been on the short sharp end of L/R customer services whilst under warranty & its shocking.

Now I have to admit it drives and tows very well & in the snow the L/R 4WD system takes some beating, last year towing other 4x4's stuck in snow ( BMW X5's ) so L/r excell in that department but is let down by support.

Would i buy another ? well it would take a very long hard think this time around and most likely consider customer support first and badge last.
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Ian (Cape Town)
Have you considered a Forester?
Drove the 2.5 petrol and 2.0 Turbo Diesel this year.
Belting motors.
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - BobbyG
I like the new Sportage - on the list of possible replacement for my Altea!

Absolutely detest the look of the Evoque - just says Essex Girl / WAG to me.
Thems even come in Cornish prices AND with cream Leather!

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201142422399697

link shortened, and postcode removed
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 19:54
 Land Rover - Kia Sportage v Range Rover Evoque - Clk Sec
>> Thems even come in Cornish prices AND with cream Leather!

I think I'm warming to these 'ere Subaros. Yet another to add to my ever lengthening shortlist for next year.

>>I think I'm warming to these 'ere Subaros. Yet another to add to my ever lengthening shortlist for next year<<

You and me both m8y - I even likes the cream Leather :)
Latest Forum Posts