Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 2   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 103

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 2 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 3 *****

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 19:30

Chinese GP - smokie
Buemi loses his front wheels during practice - quite spectacular...

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8624276.stm
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Apr 10 at 10:26

Chinese GP - Duncan
As you say - quite spectacular!!

When I first saw it I wondered why the cameraman got down behind the tyre barrier. Then I realised - he could see those wheels coming straight for him.

Chinese GP - Zero
What the!

That is trully frightening. Never seen such complete catastrophic mechanical failure in an F1 car like that before.

Chinese GP - rtj70
Wow. That is frightening. I thought to avoid problems with wheels coming off they were now thethered to the car. But with the complete suspension failure (for no obvious reason) I suppose the wheels had nothing to be tethered to.

Some serious questions to be answered by the team I would imagine. And that wheel should never have got over the fence either.

Chinese GP - John H

>> Some serious questions to be answered by the team I would imagine. And that wheel
>> should never have got over the fence either.
>>

If you look at the last few seconds of the clip in slow motion, both wheels appear to be bouncing over the fence.

Chinese GP - crocks
Wow. Buemi is a lucky boy. Lots of questions to be asked and a few laundry bills.
Wouldn't be surprised if Toro Rosso don't make it to the grid.

Chinese GP - rtj70
>> Wouldn't be surprised if Toro Rosso don't make it to the grid.

I would not be surprised if they were not allowed on the grid or into qualifying. That failure should not have been possible surely.

Chinese GP - smokie
The other car ran right through practice didn't it?

This was something to do with suspension bits being from a new batch - they've reverted to the old batch.

Chinese GP - Manatee
Risk of carnage apart, this was hilarious to see - no circus clown's car ever fell apart so spectacularly. It might take Buemi and whoever made the suspension bits a while to see the funny side though.

Chinese GP - crocks
Maybe they were trying out their new ride-height adjustment and it was a bit more sensitive than expected.

Chinese GP - Zero
I like the way he tries to steer into and correct the back stepping out, even tho he has no front wheels or suspension.

Chinese GP - Armel Coussine
It looked as if both stub axles, or whatever F1 cars have instead of stub axles, just snapped the moment the brakes were applied fully, and torque and inertia did the rest.

Holy cow, is all one can say. Of course Senna's fatal crash was said to be something to do with a carp weld giving way in the steering column, less spectacular but even more lethal in the event. Both Lotus and Williams have been accused of shaving things too fine in these areas, but one imagines they are all at it to the extent that they dare.

This incident looked like a rogue parts debacle though.

Chinese GP - VxFan
Well I thought it was a good race, even if no one else did. Plenty of overtaking, and plenty of different strategies going on. Not to mention some of the rookies giving Schumacher a run for his money.

Chinese GP - Stuu
Not a bad race at all, well worth getting up for. Hamilton and Button do seem on the face of it to be very supportive of eachother which was nice to see.

Chinese GP - Zero
Excelent race. However Vettel and Hamilton need a good kicking for racing in the pit. Its ok to put their own lives on the line on the track, but in the pit lane they are dicing with lots of other peoples lives.

Chinese GP - Westpig
Good mature performance by Button..again.

When are you going to concede Zero?...My chosen charity is 'Help for Heroes'. An 'Ayrton Senna' will do it, rather apt don't you think.

Chinese GP - Zero
>> Good mature performance by Button..again.
>>
>> When are you going to concede Zero?...My chosen charity is 'Help for Heroes'. An 'Ayrton
>> Senna' will do it rather apt don't you think.

Westie - Hatch, chickens, eggs. Funny how he never had to overtake anyone to get in front.
Lets see come season end.

Chinese GP - Manatee
>>Westie - Hatch, chickens, eggs. Funny how he never had to overtake anyone to get in front.

...and he's only leading the championship because he's got more points than Lewis. Pshaw!

Chinese GP - Tooslow
Yes, I agree. Rain = good race. Full marks to Nico Rosberg for diplomacy at the end when asked about his team mate. He must be aching to make some remark about when his Dad raced against MS :-)

JH

Chinese GP - Dave_
>> Plenty of overtaking, and plenty of different strategies going on.
>> Not to mention some of the rookies giving Schumacher a run for his money.

Absolutely, it woke me up a bit when Petrov (in only his 4th GP) overtook Schumacher - whatever people may think of this year's regulations, they have certainly reintroduced proper racing!

Alonso forcing Massa onto the grass in the mad scramble to pit for intermediate tyres was also something you wouldn't have seen in previous years. The sight of one Ferrari queueing behind the other in the pits was entertaining too.

The state of Button's and Hamilton's tyres when they got out of the cars was testament to the skill and planning of all involved, I thought.

And Karun Chandhok completed his third full(ish) race distance, a real achievement considering that at the start of the opening race he hadn't managed more than 12 laps in succession in a F1 car. I'm keeping an eye on him this year ;-)
 Chinese GP - Hard Cheese

Surprised Hamilton was not penalised for not conceding to Vettel in the pits, he could have spun into a garage or simply got caught up in an airline, Vettel did seem to push him wide however which was also naughty.

Surprised one or two of Hamilton, Vettel and Webber were not reprimanded or penalised for their antics behind the safety car.

Great result by Button, reckon I was in the minority in thinking that he would give Hamilton a run for his money.

Interesting how the Rosberg / Schu relative performances are widely reported though no one is saying that Brawn, er Mercedes should have kept Button.

Reckon Schu will come good, he is still relaxed because he knows it.

Chinese GP - bathtub tom
I missed the start of the prog, but I heard it described the 'vent' in McLarens cockpit and the 'anti stall' facility on the rear wing of some cars. BBC iPlayer seems unavailable.

Any suggestions on how I can catch up, I've got my anorak on?

Chinese GP - Hard Cheese
It is not anti stall, rather it uses the airflow from the small intake in front of the driver to change the pressure in the airbox thus channeling airflow that is otherwise used to cool the gearbox across the rear wing stalling it thus reducing its efficiency and hence reducing drag on the straights.

Chinese GP - smokie
It's here news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8627936.stm

Chinese GP - Stuu
>>Surprised one or two of Hamilton, Vettel and Webber were not reprimanded or penalised for their antics behind the safety car<<

Maybe the commentry you hear was rubbish, but during the original broadcast, the reason for those antics was explained, simply that they had already passed the safety car line which is before the last corner. That was why everyone was overtaking. As such, not antics, racing.

Chinese GP - Hard Cheese
>>but during the original broadcast the reason for those antics was explained >>

I watched it live, there is no overtaking allowed behind the safety car until they start-finish line has been crossed, they hadnt' crossed the line.

Chinese GP - smokie
No - wrong - no overtaking until after the safety car line, which is not necessarily the start finish line (Brundle said this later in the race)

Chinese GP - Hard Cheese
>> No - wrong - >>

Hmm really, must vary from circuit to circuit then.

Chinese GP - smokie
Yes, he said that too IIRC.

Chinese GP - Zero
>>
>> Surprised Hamilton was not penalised for not conceding to Vettel in the pits he could
>> have spun into a garage or simply got caught up in an airline Vettel did
>> seem to push him wide however which was also naughty.

Both should have been given dropped grid slot penalties at the next GP.

Chinese GP - smokie
People moan if they don't get a good spectacle, then moan if they do. There's nothing wrong with a good bit of balls out racing, even in the pit lane - no-one was hurt, nanny state doesn't apply in China. Not in F1 anyways...

Whatever, I'm finding the season much more enjoyable than previous ones.

Chinese GP - Stuu
Agreed. This race was entertaining, you didnt know who would win and that is the best type of race.
Hamilton does seem to be making heavy going of things at times, but then it would be duller without him. Petrov looks like one to watch, Schui seems to be unsuited to his car in some way, Ferrari seem to be out of sorts and Red Bull seem to have run out of luck. Button is the biggest suprise and good on him. It was nice to see a British 1-2 aswell.
Its shaping up to be a good season and I like this new points system as it has actually made it easier for others to catch up with the bigger rewards for a good weekend.

Spanish Grand Prix - L'escargot
At one time there were "modifications". Now there are "updates". I wonder who started that one.

Spanish Grand Prix - smokie
Without the rain, we were back to a procession today.

I'm looking forward to Monaco next weekend.

Spanish Grand Prix - Stuu
That sure was yawn-worthy. Pity for Hamilton, well done Scu for hanging in with a slow car and great drive by Webber. Just such a shame it was a dull spectacle. I wish they would do something to make these tracks far more challenging to drive, I want to see cars and drivers punished, tested and thrown a curve ball every race - why cant we hold them in winter maybe so their tyres dont work so well? Need something thats for sure.

Spanish Grand Prix - Westpig
>> I'm looking forward to Monaco next weekend.
>>

I really do not like Monaco...the race is a boring procession with virtually no overtaking and the place is full of brash 'money talks' types.

Spanish Grand Prix - Zero
dont go there then, stay at home and watch it on tv

Spanish Grand Prix - VxFan
Great comment from Rob Smedley when on the radio to Massa.

"We're a second quicker with a broken front wing. I think we've found the solution"

Monaco - smokie
Monaco this weekend...mmmmmm.

Many don't like it, I do!
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 14 May 10 at 21:07

Monaco - bathtub tom
The qualifying will probably be the most exciting, unless some back-markers make it interesting.

I predict I'll fall asleep, although I didn't last Sunday. I can't think why not.

Monaco - Tooslow
The safety car won didn't it?

JH
 Monaco - Old Navy
Must have been an excellent race, Mrs ON woke me up with a cup of coffee when it had finished. So glad I don't fall for the F1 hype.

Monaco - Zero
you missed the best part then, when MS mugged Alonso

Monaco - Old Navy
I hear that was a 5 second event in a two hour procession. Did he get away with it, or fall foul of the rules? It was being discussed on TV when I woke up.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 May 10 at 16:43

Monaco - Focusless
>> Did he get away with it, or fall foul of the rules?

Don't know if they've decided yet, but appears to fall foul of this one (unfortunately):

40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

Was that the only overtake? I missed the first 40 minutes, but didn't see any others while I was (half-)watching.
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 16 May 10 at 17:20

Monaco - henry k
>>40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.
>>
It was not the end of the last lap so they raced the last bit.
Ross spells it out.
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8685540.stm

Monaco - henry k
However
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8685542.stm

"Mercedes driver Michael Schumacher has been penalised for overtaking Ferrari's Fernando Alonso when it was not allowed at the end of the Monaco Grand Prix.
The decision adds 20 seconds to the German's race time, demoting him to 12th place and putting Alonso sixth.

More to follow. "

They really seem to take the fun out of things.
Will it be handbags out ?

Monaco - Zero
there was absolutly no need to penalise him.

Had it been an illegal move, all they had to do was reverse the positions.

Sounds like spite to me.

Monaco - henry k
"The stewards, who included Schumacher's old rival Damon Hill, ruled that the German had breached safety rules.

More to follow "

Wot safety rules? Thou shall not overtake?

Monaco - Westpig
Hell, that was tedious. I love motorsport and I love F1, but that race is one that I could seriously drop from my viewing list.

Monaco - Tooslow
Did you see the width of the track when MB was doing his walkabout? You'd be hard pressed to overtake in a bicycle race.

JH

Monaco - corax
I used to like Monaco, but whats the point if the cars can't overtake. It's just a show for the rich.

For a race to be enjoyable to watch I want to see overtaking, rain, and bad tempers thrown into the mix. Oh, and bring back V10's, they sound better....

Monaco - VxFan
>> Did you see the width of the track when MB was doing his walkabout? You'd
>> be hard pressed to overtake in a bicycle race.

Alonso did well to overtake quite a few of the backmarkers (including one of the rookies who held him up for quite some time) to eventually finish 7th 6th. Also bear in mind that he was driving a car that had very little set up time.

Monaco - Iffy
I nodded off as usual, but I still like watching Monaco for the scenery.

The racing might be rubbish, but I find the viewing experience in all other respects to be the best of the season.

Monaco - Zero
did anyone watch the red button coverage after the race? Vettel and Webber were thrown into a biggish swimming pool

The pool was on the *roof of the red bull motor home*

The mclaren motorhome that rocked up there looked like the entrance to a major london hotel after it had expandced itself.

You have to look on in awe and wonder at the excesses of the place.

Monaco - Iffy
...You have to look on in awe...

I would find mooching around the pits and backstage generally far more interesting than watching the race.

Monaco - Tooslow
If, "I still like watching Monaco for the scenery."

You saw J Lo then?

JH

Monaco - Armel Coussine
Quite VxF. Whine whine whine... why don't they watch snooker then if they want a bit of excitement? It's obvious that motor racing just passes them by. Too complicated perhaps. Get on with your knitting chaps. It's useful and relaxing (loud, offensively prolonged raspberry).

I doubt if Alonso saw the funny side of the Schumacher mugging, because he'd driven a blinder in the early part of the race, overtaking three times coming out of the tunnel, once round the outside. Drive of the race until he caught up with some of his actual peers.

Schumacher still has that metronomic precision and consistency, plus long teeth as always. But hasn't got the car to make up for what appears a slight loss of edge. Hamilton wasn't quite there today either. Who else heard him muttering irritably on the radio: 'D'you want me to race these guys or look after my brakes?'

Webber's day though. Not a foot wrong, four safety cars notwithstanding. Seems to have overcome the excessive tension or whatever that used to make him mess up the start. I like his style and I'm glad to see him doing well. Kubica living up to his promise, Massa quietly on the pace.

Button sabotaged accidentally by the team. Will heads roll one wonders?

Monaco - Hard Cheese

I usually like to see Ferrari prevail though it is frankly ridiculaous that Schumacher was penalised for overtaking Alonso after the safety car had entered the pits, after they had both crossed the safety car line and after the "yellow flag" lights had gone green.

I hope MB get the penalty overturned.

Monaco - Old Navy
>> I hope MB get the penalty overturned.
>>
Why, are they operating to a different set of rules to everyone else?

Monaco - Hard Cheese
>> >> I hope MB get the penalty overturned.
>> >>
>> Why, are they operating to a different set of rules to everyone else?
>>

No, the point is that the race did not finish under the safety car so the rule should not apply however as has been said the penalty cannot be rescinded however the FIA have agreed to provide clarity.

It is a farce though, the one bit of proper racing and the rules have to dumb it down.

Monaco - Zero
The issue is about how the race finsished. The last lap was run under a safety car, but did not finish under a safety car because it pulled in 100 metres before the line. The problem is caused by the use of the safety car line. Changes need to be made to safety car procedure, (ie on the last lap cross the start finish line) not the rules.

Monaco - Hard Cheese
>>Changes need to be made to safety car procedure, (ie on the last lap
>> cross the start finish line) not the rules.
>>

Why?

Why shouldn't they race to the line as they do when the safety car enters the pits on any other lap?

Monaco - Zero
because the rules say no racing on the last lap if the race ends on the safety car. The safety car was out on the LAST lap, but IN before the line. The rules are clear, but the disapearance of the safety car makes it unclear.

Monaco - Hard Cheese
>> because the rules say no racing on the last lap if the race ends on
>> the safety car. The safety car was out on the LAST lap, but IN before
>> the line. The rules are clear, but the disapearance of the safety car makes it
>> unclear.
>>

But the race did not end under the safety car - the safety car had entered the pits, both cars in question had crossed the safety car line and the "yellow flag" lights had gone green.

Monaco - Zero
Cheddar - the rule is prefectly clear

40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

The race ENDED on the safety car. It entered the pit lane at the end of the last lap. The start finish line extends into the pit lane.

Monaco - Hard Cheese
>> Cheddar - the rule is prefectly clear
>>
>> 40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the ......
>>

It is not prefectly clear at all! The track had gone green when the SC entered the pit lane, at which point the race had not finished.

Monaco - Zero
It IS perfectly clear, the rules make NO mention of the track going green, it has nothing to do with it. The race finsished on the safety car. There was NO green lap. End of.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 May 10 at 10:17

Monaco - Hard Cheese
>> The race finsished on the safety car. There was
>> NO green lap. End of.
>>

Interesting that Gary Andersen in Autosport agrees with my take on this, the inference is that Schu was a sharp cookie to pass when he did, the track had gone green and he implemented a great move, subesquently the stewards erroneously penalised him, the penalty itself cannot be rescinded so after the FIA agreed to clarify the rules onging Merecedes decided to withdraw their appeal on the basis of the broader interests of the sport.

Bet Schu is seething !

Monaco - swiss tony
>> It IS perfectly clear, the rules make NO mention of the track going green, it
>> has nothing to do with it. The race finsished on the safety car. There was
>> NO green lap. End of.
>>

No it didnt!

the safety car pitted BEFORE the chequered flag.
the race ends on the chequered flag, thus the race finished WITHOUT the safety car in deployment.
as far as I understand it, up until this year, the start/finish line was the marker for whether the safety car was still deployed or not, the rules where changed this year to a solid white line painted across the track away from the start/finish line... shuey had passed OVER that line, AFTER the retirement of the safety car, BEFORE his overtake, thus according to this years rules, it was a legal overtake.

Monaco - Zero
Of course it finished on the safety car, how may laps after the safety car pulled in were there? None, therefore it must have finished on the safety car.

Monaco - smokie
Discussion on other web sites includes the following:

Article 40.7 of the sporting regulations has been amended, so that the second paragraph now commences:

With the following exceptions, overtaking is forbidden until the cars reach the first safety car line after the safety car has returned to the pits: ...

However Article 40.13 states:

If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

Thus the first safety car line is the point at which which drivers may overtake once the safety car has pulled off, unless that happens on the last lap, when Article 40.13 applies.

Speculation is that F1 wouldn't want the spectacle of a race ending with the safety car being first over the line...

Monaco - rtj70
>> Speculation is that F1 wouldn't want the spectacle of a race ending with the safety car being
>> first over the line...

That is how I understood this all along. The race ended under a safety car but it got out of the way for the chequered flag. If this was not the last lap the car was going to stay out for safety.

Shuey was a bit cheeky and wrong I think. Had there been another few laps then there'd have still been the need for the safety car.

Monaco - Hard Cheese
>> Of course it finished on the safety car,
>>

RF, the SC entered the pits and the track went green before, BEFORE, the race finished so it did not finish under the safety car.

See my post at 18:01 yesterday:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=900&m=23828&v=e

Monaco - Zero
Ched

"If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking."

I dont see how you can not see what is written in black and white here.

The safety car entered the pit lane at the end of the last lap so the cars should take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

Can you show me the bit in this rule about a green flag or light? or how the last 100 yards is not part of the lap?

The green light has NOTHING to do with it.

Monaco - Hard Cheese
>> Ched
>>
>> "If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit
>> lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered
>> flag as normal without overtaking."
>>

RF, that is if the track remains yellow so the cars are allowed to finish the race without the safety car for appearances sake.

In Monaco the track went green when the safety car entered the pits so the cars could race to the line, hence Schu was in the right and the stewards erred.

Read this weeks Autosport.

Monaco - Zero
Autosport dont make the rules,

The rule Makes NO mention of the green light/flag why do you keep bringing it up.

Where does it say in this rule "ah but part its only true if part of the lap is under yellow really, its not written here at all but thats what we mean"

Its not relevant. what part of LAST LAP are you wilfully ignoring?
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 22 May 10 at 10:05

Monaco - Hard Cheese

>>
>> The rule Makes NO mention of the green light/flag why do you keep bringing it
>> up. >>

RF, it is quite clear - the SC entered the pits before the end of the race and the track went green so the race did not end under the SC.

However the stewards applied the rules applicable to when the track remains yellow and the SC enters the pits on the last lap allow the cars to cross the line in order to finish the race under a yellow without the SC for the sake of appearances.

As I have just said elsewhere Schumacher was in the right, the stewards got it wrong however the penalty they applied, a drive-through, cannot be rescinded by appeal so MB decided not to appeal in the broader interests of the sport.

Quite rightly the FIA are now clarifying the regs to avoid a repeat.

Monaco - Zero
READ THE BIT ABOUT THE LAST LAP

THE LAST LAP

How many times do I have to show you

THE LAST LAP

Monaco - Hard Cheese

RF, OK the last lap ...........

.............. there are two last lap scenarios involving the safety car.

1/ The SC enters the pits before the end of the race and the track goes green so the race DOES NOT end under the SC.

2/ The SC enters the pits before the end of the race and the track remains yellow so the race DOES end under the SC.

The stewards applied the rules applicable to 2/ when the actual situation was as per 1/.

Monaco - Zero
>> .............. there are two last lap scenarios involving the safety car.

Show me the rule about the two last lap scenarios? I wil show th erule that covers the last lap, but I dont see an Ah But! rule?

Monaco - John H
>>
>> Why shouldn't they race to the line as they do when the safety car enters
>> the pits on any other lap?
>>

The rule about the last lap is supposedly there purely for show, to allow the cars to cross the flag and avoid having behind the safety car finish in front of them.

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/05/why_schumacher_broke_the_rules.html
The reason the rule exists is simply because it looks better on television not to have the safety car crossing the line in front of the racing cars.

www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/05/why-mercedes-walked-away-from-schumacher-appeal/
However it appears that this was not the intention of Race Control. In their minds they were merely moving the Safety Car out of the way for the cosmetic appearance of the finish.

Last edited by: John H on Tue 18 May 10 at 22:41

Monaco - Hard Cheese
>>>> The rule about the last lap is supposedly there purely for show, to allow the
>> cars to cross the flag and avoid having behind the safety car finish in front
>> of them.>>

So as to apply if there is still an incident somewhere on the track in which cases the lights would remain yellow, they didn't, they went green.

Monaco - John H
>> I usually like to see Ferrari prevail though it is frankly ridiculaous that Schumacher was
>> penalised for overtaking Alonso after the safety car had entered the pits, after they had
>> both crossed the safety car line and after the "yellow flag" lights had gone green.
>>
>> I hope MB get the penalty overturned.
>>

MB are wasting their time if they think the penalty can be overturned. Even if their lawyers prove that MB's interpretation of of the rules was correct and the FIA stewards got it wrong, a drive through penalty once given cannot be undone.
www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83686

Their appeal can only prove that the rule can be interpreted differently. The penalty stands.
Last edited by: John H on Tue 18 May 10 at 09:16

Monaco - Bigtee
9th-11th july off camping to silverstone got the tent and the beer ready if the weather is dry should be a good do.!!

Monaco - Zero
see you there on the sunday, will wave to you from the pits grandstand.

Tickets havent arrived yet tho.....

Monaco - Bigtee
4 weeks before they told me when i booked in january the price has shot up from the £140.00 i paid to over £200.00.

Please wave i'll wave back!

Monaco - John H

>>
>> MB are wasting their time if they think the penalty can be overturned. Even if
>> their lawyers prove that MB's interpretation of of the rules was correct and the FIA

>>

Well, MB have seen sense and thrown in the towel.
www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83721

Monaco - Tooslow
I think it's a daft rule. It seems to add only complexity and a "gotcha" rule. Why not keep it simple, delete the rule and run the safety car over the start / finish line with the flag being waved at cars as they finish?

This isn't a new rule is it? Introduced in the last week or so? By a new guy, until recently employed elsewhere where he gained a reputation for making it complicated? In which case expect penalties for higher horsepower, subsidies for lower ranked teams, equal opportunity driver employment rules, oh and Bernie to be a pauper by the end of the season. ;-)

JH

Monaco - L'escargot
For what it's worth, all of the FIA Sporting Regulations can be accessed from here. tinyurl.com/39fkagv

Monaco - hobby
The rule was probably introduced when they introduced safety cars... all it does is allow the cars to finish and take the flag without the SC right in front of the winner and spoiling the photos!

Monaco - Armel Coussine
I thought it very witty of Schumacher I have to say. Cutting Teutonic humour. I suppose the verdict is just one, but they didn't have to penalise him for it. I wonder if the hacks' rumour is correct and a Prominent Steward was still seeking vengeance for, a parking squabble was it?

Monaco - hobby
Doubt it, the rule was clear enough... except for a few diehards who think they can interpret it differently... including Shumacher!

If thats they worse he does all season it will be a novelty... :-)

Monaco - henry k
>> Doubt it, the rule was clear enough... except for a few diehards who think they
>> can interpret it differently...
>>

FIA to reassess rule that penalised Michael Schumacher
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8694284.stm

Monaco - Stuu
>>except for a few diehards who think they can interpret it differently... <<

Yeah, umm, like the FIA. I mean, they must have so much time on their hands to reassess the rule if it really is that clear.

Monaco - Hard Cheese
>> Doubt it, the rule was clear enough... except for a few diehards who think they
>> can interpret it differently... including Shumacher!
>>

Schumacher was in the right, the stewards got it wrong however the penalty they applied, a drive-through, cannot be rescinded by appeal so MB decided not to appeal in the broader intersest of the sport.

Quite rightly the FIA are nore clarifying the regs to avoid a repeat.

Monaco - hobby
I'm glad they are "clarifying" the rule, but it seems clear enough to me, and most of the population and teams/drivers...

It was a nice try by Schue, and I tend to think that just putting him back where he was would have suficed, but the fact was he could have caused an almighty pile-up if the driver in front hadn't have reacted and got out of his way, although the cars were accelerating it was clear that no-one else was going to try an overtake, not even his teammate...

You can defend him all you want, C, but the simple fact is that he was in the wrong and the punishment (and the teams acceptance of it) confirm that... end of.

Monaco - Hard Cheese
>> I'm glad they are "clarifying" the rule, but it seems clear enough to me, and
>> most of the population and teams/drivers...
>>

It is not clear because you and many others dont understand it, read my reply to Zero timed at 07:44.

As I have said I usually like to see Ferrari prevail however in this case they should have lost the place to Schu.
 Monaco - Manatee
>>You can defend him all you want, C, but the simple fact is that he was in the wrong and the punishment (and the teams acceptance of it) confirm that... end of.

You won't win an argument with Cheddar, I have searched in vain for any post of his containing the words "I was wrong".

However, in this instance, I agree with him. The safety car did indeed come in on the last lap, but that is not unequivocally the same as "finishing under the safety car". Why? Because the track had been declared clear.

So it says on the Official F1 website - first 5 words of the 2nd paragraph - goo.gl/aK1Y

Had the track not been declared clear, the safety car would still have come in on the last lap - and this is where the ambiguity lies.

They should certainly rescind any penalty even if they don't give the obnoxious Schumacher back his place.

Monaco - Stuu
If the FIA felt the need to look at the rules again, ill go with that, since after all, its their rules.
End of.

Monaco - hobby
>> You won't win an argument with Cheddar, I have searched in vain for any post
>> of his containing the words "I was wrong".
>>

I know that but one day, just maybe...

>> However, in this instance, I agree with him. The safety car did indeed come in
>> on the last lap, but that is not unequivocally the same as "finishing under the
>> safety car". Why? Because the track had been declared clear.
>>

The safety car was out there for the whole of the last lap except the last few yards... as covered in the rule mentioned above... hence every team and driver except Schue took it as the end of the race... And he was penalised for his actions... I think that says it all really... if he was in the right they wouldn't have penalised him, would they... and his team would have appealed, which they didn't.

However we're going round in circles, the majority rule in this case, regardless of our views methinks! :-)

Monaco - Oldgit
I have now been watching F1 for about 12 months now, having always avoided it, like the plague.
My interest in it is already beginning to wane somewhat as the only enjoyable part is the introductory hour or so with Jake (whatever his name is). The rest is rather tedious and processional but having recorded the whole thing, I can FF through most of it, backtracking should I see anything exiciting.
The way the seem to change the rules, on an annual basis seem ludicrous to me as you don't see similar rule changes in other major sports (or do you?).
I should say that I am NOT a sports aficionado.

USA GP in Austin. - henry k

formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-austin-texas-to-host-us-gp/

Latest Forum Posts