Motoring Discussion > Would you buy a car from... Buying / Selling
Thread Author: oilburner Replies: 93

Would you buy a car from... - oilburner
...a dealer who talks utter nonsense?

I went to look at a V70 D5 yesterday at a small local dealers. Looked a tidy model from the outside so I went in and started chatting to the boss. I asked him if it had service history, and quickly enough the service book appeared with some potentially genuine stamps. I then asked if the cambelt had been done, as I knew it was due, if not overdue. To my surprise he claimed it had a camchain and didn't need doing.

Now I know these cars inside out, I've had a V70 2.4 and an S80 D5 and been a regular contributor on the owner's club forums. So I told him this (allowing for the fact that I don't know everything and *might* well be wrong), to which he replied "the S80 is a completely different car to the V70, so that doesn't mean anything". Not true. They even share the same Haynes manual. Like I say, I know both inside out...

Anyway, he wouldn't accept that he was wrong, first of all appearing to try and hide the section in the service book where it stated the change interval (using his squidgy finger) and then going so far as to phone the local Volvo dealer, who unsurprisingly confirmed it was a cambelt. Even then, he tried to claim that this was a first and all the ones he'd seen before had a chain.... !!! I let him have his dignity and moved on...

Well, I liked the car (despite a couple of faults I knew I could fix easily) and considered buying it, but when he offered a "poor condition" valuation on my truly mint Zafira I said thanks and walked away, feeling like I'd been well and truly cheeked. Or maybe the Volvo was dodgy and he smelled trouble from me and so wanted to scupper the deal? I dunno. So I said thanks and left hastily.

Anyway, would you buy from a salesmen who flatly contradicted you? I did try to let the guy save face, and after all, he was trying to sell to me, so should have at least tried to butter me up a little? He also was quite patronising about removing the towbar on my Zafira (suggesting it needed an expert and expensive de-programming), not knowing I'd installed it myself on a Sunday morning, but that's a trifle really.
 Would you buy a car from... - -
I'd have expected a bit more knowledge to be honest, but remember the bloke you spoke to is simply a salesman, not a good one but thats his job (selling credit really), cars this week probably beds or fridges next the way he's going.

From his beligerent sounding attitude i'd be reluctant to buy from him unless the deal was a steal for me, he couldn't even manage to be fair and decent before he'd bent you over and removed your wallet, what chance of getting some fair dealings should something go wrong once he's got your dosh?
 Would you buy a car from... - Dog
I would have still been interested in purchasing said vehicle because a salesman (to me) is not dissimilar to the flies that try to puke on my dinner in the summer but, the "poor condition" valuation on my PX would have likely put the mockers on the deal (or I'd have sent for Dutchie)

;)
 Would you buy a car from... - Runfer D'Hills
However, if the car fits your brief and you want it, I'd be inclined to make him a firm counter offer. Something along the lines of, "Rightho then, on the basis that I will be paying someone to replace the cam belt we'll take that cost off your price for starters. I'm not terribly interested in how much you give me on paper for the Zafira, that's up to you. What I am prepared to do is give you my car plus £X for your Volvo. This offer is final and non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned. If you need time to think about it I quite understand. This offer is firm and stands until close of business today. Here's my card. Let me know if you'd like to proceed. Good afternoon."
Humph, that's exactly what I would normally do, but this guy seriously upset my karma, and (for once) my internal warning siren went off and I thought better of it.

I mean, as GB says, what would he be like to deal with if it all went terribly wrong?
Fair enough. Quite understand.
 Would you buy a car from... - movilogo
Just yesterday salesman in a national tyre chain tried to convince me that summer tyres are same as all season tyres.

Most salesmen havn't got a clue how a cambelt is different from a camchain.

They also don't understand differences among torque converter, CVT and DSG automatics.

99% of car buyers don't care about them either and salesmen don't care about the rest 1% which consists of people like us.

>> Most salesmen havn't got a clue how a cambelt is different from a camchain.
>>

Oh he knew, consider the fact that I started it by asking about the cambelt and and he flat out responded with "no cambelt, this has a camchain and therefore doesn't need to be changed", or words to that effect. And the fact that I practically had to force his finger off the service book so I could uncover the text that specified the change interval on said belt!

Which implies to me he just didn't want to stomach the cost of replacement, so he might have lied. Maybe. Allegedly. And whatever other ass-covering I need to add...
Last edited by: oilburner on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 14:21
 Would you buy a car from... - corax
>> Something along the lines of, "Rightho then, on the
>> basis that I will be paying someone to replace the cam belt we'll take that
>> cost off your price for starters. I'm not terribly interested in how much you give
>> me on paper for the Zafira, that's up to you. What I am prepared to
>> do is give you my car plus £X for your Volvo. This offer is final
>> and non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned. If you need time to think about it
>> I quite understand. This offer is firm and stands until close of business today. Here's
>> my card. Let me know if you'd like to proceed. Good afternoon."

OOh Humph, I wish I could take you on my next car buying spree :)

If I asked someone whether a car needed a cambelt change, and they didn't know whether it had a cambelt or not, I would rather they look it up than just lie about it and hope you move onto another question. Obviously salesmen aren't going to know the ins and outs of every car, but there would be more respect in my eyes if they admitted it. Otherwise you wonder what else they would lie about. Or should I expect devious behavior?

Though if the car is cheap for the year and looks clean, I'd whip it home and get a cambelt change done as soon as poss anyway. Rather have FSH everytime.
Last edited by: corax on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 14:08
 Would you buy a car from... - Boxsterboy
When I was looking for my S-Max one Ford main delaer's salesman swore blind that the S-Max and Galaxy were completely unrelated.

Needless to say I walked ...
 Would you buy a car from... - madf
I treat every word a car salesman says as I would treat a politician making a speech..

Once his mouth is open, he/she is lying.
 Would you buy a car from... - Armel Coussine
The reason stupid, arrogant, ignorant twerps become car salesmen is that they can get away with it, sometimes for years. This has to do with quite a high proportion of car buyers being equally ignorant about cars and perhaps easily impressed by cheap insolence, flash suits and the stench of aftershave.

I would only buy a brand-new car from such a person, but only if I couldn't find someone more rational and personable to deal with (as one usually can because they aren't all like that). I hate that profile with a passion, playground bullies and crooks begging for a kicking.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 15:46
A person I would buy a used car from is Bellboy, unless he systematically misrepresented himself here.
 Would you buy a car from... - madf
I buy used cars from people I like.

Or people too stupid to see value.
 Would you buy a car from... - movilogo
A good salesman can't influence me to buy a car that I don't like.
However, a bad salesman can put me off buying a good car.

Would you buy a car from... - Iffy
...A person I would buy a used car from is Bellboy, unless he systematically misrepresented himself here...

That's a thought, but Bellboy was honest enough to admit he wasn't in business for the benefit of the motoring public.

>> honest enough to admit he wasn't in business for the benefit of the motoring public.

That isn't something car dealers need to 'admit'. It goes without saying.

But there's a big difference between making a living buying, selling and fettling used cars and being a conceited psychopathic twerp overcharging people you despise for cars you know nothing about. In the first case there would be a wish to retain the loyalty of satisfied local customers - an idea that would be meaningless to the other type of 'salesman'.

Certainly at the bangerish end of the market, smart dress and clean fingernails are grounds for deep suspicion. Bellboy was hands-on, or so he said. I believed him.

Bellboy was hands-on, or so he said. I believed him.
>>

So did i, he knew too much about keeping motors well to be a smarmer, he came across as old school and none the worse for that.

Being out in all weathers and up to his elbows in muck and bullets i sincerely hope he made a fair living out of the game.

You decribe so well the other sort AC, bit of a seething hatred?, seen too many decent folk that know little about motors getting turned over by the snake in the grass type?
In my mobile car tuning days I used to regularly go to used car lots in S & E London such as Rotherhithe, Bermondsey, Peckham, Hackney, Bow etc., most of them were like Arthur Daley really - lovable rogues,

Sure they wound the clock back, but to zero, then they'd put a disclaimer sticker on the speedo,

A used car dealer won't last long in the business if he is a real crook.
>> bit of a seething hatred?

I can't claim vast experience of the car business, but I have certainly met a few of those (and one or two Bellboy types as well).

Because the 'smarmer' is always like that, and seldom the actual owner of the business, it stands to reason that they don't always rip people off except by ratcheting up the price. The actual cars can be all right (like the one seen by the OP for example).

But you can't reach my age with a critical eye for fellow-humans without learning to recognize that type from schooldays onward. I am not in much danger of being done over by one these days. I get annoyed instantly when one opens his mouth and don't waste much time on them.
 Would you buy a car from... - Mike H
You didn't mention whether you thought the price was right. If it was, or even perhaps a bit of a bargain despite what you knew needed doing to it, and you liked the car, I'd have just gone along with whatever tripe he was feeding you and bought it. And of course sold the Zafira privately.
 Would you buy a car from... - Mr. Ecs
Saw a nice Focus Sport on a London Ford dealership website. The car was at another branch, but they said you could have the car brought over to your local dealership.

I filled out my details on the online form then waited. My local dealership called last Saturday saying that car had been sold and would I not be interested in a brand new model, finance schemes blah blah.

I said I'd have a think, really sore that the Sport had gone.On the Sunday I phoned the other dealership to see if they had that particular model coming in. Oh, said the salesman, we have one here. The one I wanted in the first place.Fed up now with the "porkies" so keeping my current 07 diesel instead.
 Would you buy a car from... - ....
>> ...Fed up now with the "porkies" so keeping my current 07 diesel instead.
>>
Why did you want to change your car in the first place has the reason changed or gone away ?

I view car salesmen as a necessary evil. They have something I want, they know they have something I want (otherwise I wouldn't be talking to them) so how do I get what I want with the minimal pain/stress/wallet emptying.
I used to change cars every 18-24 months. I've had my current car 5 years and counting. I'll probablý run it until the wheels fall off now as it does everything I need a car to and I do not feel the urge to go near a salesman again until I absolutely must.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 22:25
 Would you buy a car from... - Zero
Well the point is, surely, you go out to buy a car, not have one sold to you?

BY that I mean, you know what car(s) you want, you know what you are prepared to pay, so where does being "sold" a car fit in?
You've lost me there Z.
I don't ask to be sold a car, I know what I want and as you say have an idea how much I want to pay but I still have to encounter the person selling it and the tripe they spout along the way.
The bit that really gets me going for the door is the "I'll just have to check with my manager" back and forth performance. They get one shot at that then I ask to speak to whoever it is they are talking to as they don't appear able to make a decision on selling the car.
A dim, even an unpleasant dim salesman wouldn't worry me. In fact as a customer that could actually be an advantage if you know your onions. A clever, even a polite clever salesman is much more of a challenge.

Ultimately though it is just worth bearing in mind that while you are really only interested in getting the best deal you can, always remember, so is he. Once you steel yourself to that raw fact your opinion of the individual becomes less of a factor. He will be motivated almost entirely by your wallet, keep that in mind and use every opportunity to let him see that you will do a deal if the price is right.

Use phrases like "I'm going to buy a car today, let's see if it's going to be one of yours shall we?! "

That wakes 'em up I promise.

Don't use words like "I'm only really looking today" he'll write you off as a browser.
 Would you buy a car from... - rtj70
I popped to John Lewis yesterday and popped to the computer area too. I interrupted one staff member to help (Kindle 3G Keyboard works for basic Internet access globally)... he sold the 3G keyboard instead of the new £89 Kindle Wifi. Plus case. Result.

I then helped a few others to understand eBook readers.

I then finally spotted the original staff member (there were a few others) to ask about what I popped down for (stock on a case). And helped again for DLNA and AirPlay questions. I should get what I popped in for free!
 Would you buy a car from... - bathtub tom
>>I popped to John Lewis yesterday

They have gone downhill lately.

I bought a new dishwasher from them a couple of weeks ago, it had a problem. "Someone will call you back before 8.00pm today" - they didn't!

Customer complaints, escalations, the following day promised "we'll have a replacement sent out, someone will contact you with seven working days" - they haven't!
 Would you buy a car from... - rtj70
Oh dear. I got a dishwasher via (fairly) local company years ago. Collected/installed it myself. The interior was dented and a replacement sent. It lasted only a few years (integrated so I went for a 'cheap' option that matched colours etc) so replaced with a Siemens with 5 year warranty included. About the same price as the cheap one but the Siemens was not integrated - kitchen altered instead.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 23:23
 Would you buy a car from... - Bagpuss
Car dealerships these days strike me as being more like a credit broker with a car sales department attached. I've recently visited a number of places including VW, Ford and Hyundai. The sales people knew surprisingly little about the cars but tell you off the top of their heads down to 2 decimal places what a leasing deal would cost you.

I guess there's more potential for personal enrichment for the sales guys by selling finance rather than cars.
 Would you buy a car from... - Iffy
I try to remember I am buying the car, not the salesman.

Thus if he/she is hopeless or brilliant, ugly or drop dead gorgeous, it shouldn't make any difference.

But it probably does.

Would you buy a car from... - Meldrew
Nice turn of phrase BP! GM was once once described as a Health Care Plan that made cars and Mr O'Leary once memorably described BA as a Pension Fund with Wings!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 07:13
This is the place I've bought my last 4 cars from www.alanjgimblett.co.uk/pages/catalogue.php

It's a well established family run busy ness and I usually see the same brother every time (Graham)

I don't see them as salesmen strange as it may seem - I know the car I want, give it a run to Liskeard & back, bung em some wedge, collect car in a few days after it's been serviced, valeted, and a bunch of flowers left on the seat for the ole Woman - how bads that!

PS ... They've got the Mazda 3 I'd set me art on = OH NO!!!
>> This is the place I've bought my last 4 cars from www.alanjgimblett.co.uk/pages/catalogue.php

Alans Giblets? One place I couldn't buy a car from is an establishment called 'Nobby & Dicks Used Car Emporium', based a few mile from me. Don't ask me why. There's no real logic to it.
How's about buying a car from a dealer called Cronk then?

BMW dealer in the stock broker (morning Zed) belt, I hear.
 Would you buy a car from... - VxFan
>> How's about buying a car from a dealer called Cronk then?

Or Dick Lovett
>> I guess there's more potential for personal enrichment for the sales guys by selling finance
>> rather than cars.
>>

Which is probably why they don't like me, as I've never bought a car on dealer finance, and never will. On another rant, twice when they have quoted figures at me, two separate dealers quoted the *flat* percentage rate but _claimed_ it was the APR. Unlucky for them, I can do pretty good maths in my head and showed them that it couldn't be the APR because the interest amount was too high.

They don't like smart alecs! ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 18:53
>>I popped to John Lewis yesterday
They have gone downhill lately.

After fourteen days without hearing anything from John Lewis, I sent an e-mail to their CEO (glad I bookmarked this website: www.ceoemail.com/ ). Result!

They said they'll replace my faulty dishwasher with a new washing machine!!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 9 Dec 11 at 17:04
 Would you buy a car from... - spamcan61
>>
>> They said they'll replace my faulty dishwasher with a new washing machine!!!
>>
Won't that break the plates? ;-)
 Would you buy a car from... - Clk Sec
>> They said they'll replace my faulty dishwasher with a new washing machine!!!

The cheapest option for them!
"You didn't mention whether you thought the price was right. If it was, or even perhaps a bit of a bargain despite what you knew needed doing to it, "

I would say the price was a little on the high side given the need for a new cambelt and the minor faults, maybe £400 more than it should have been, so no bargain, just average.

Of course selling my car privately would help, but can I be bothered? If not, I suppose I have myself to blame for being at their mercy! :)
Last edited by: oilburner on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 10:32
Get him to knock off £400 for the cambelt change (I reckon a realistic sum for changing it). If he disagrees walk away, but I can understand you not wanting to do business with him now he's left a nasty taste in your mouth, I'd probably be the same.

How have you found your D5 engines? Amongst a few other cars I like the S60 D5's. Apart from the odd injector failing, they seem to be pretty good. And a torquey, relatively revvy beast as well, according to many of the enthusiastic owners on pistonheads. HJ lists swirl flaps breaking but I haven't seen evidence of this yet, has anyone on the owners forums had major problems with this engine?
Last edited by: corax on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 10:44
>> Get him to knock off £400 for the cambelt change (I reckon a realistic sum
>> for changing it). If he disagrees walk away, but I can understand you not wanting
>> to do business with him now he's left a nasty taste in your mouth, I'd
>> probably be the same.
>>

His parting words to me (when I asked for a better trade-in) were "I'd rather keep the Volvo", so I reckon I would have been on a hiding to nothing! But like you say, once your cage is rattled, it's easier to go elsewhere!

>> How have you found your D5 engines?

They are exceptional engines, mid-40s mpg and a huge swell of low down torque. They also sound great (for a diesel), with a nice 5 pot thrum. They do vibrate a bit when idling, which isn't great, but I lived with it OK. Cambelt pulleys can seize, snapping the belt and killing the engine, but apart from that they're very tough engines.
The pre-DPF D5s are the best IMHO. I've also had a couple of thousand miles in a 2008 185bhp D5 and it wasn't as nice. It sounded metallic at certain revs, which set my teeth on edge, and the DPF seemed to kill the fuel economy.

As it happens, I'm looking at other cars now, it doesn't hurt to keep an open mind...
>> The pre-DPF D5s are the best IMHO. I've also had a couple of thousand miles
>> in a 2008 185bhp D5 and it wasn't as nice. It sounded metallic at certain
>> revs, which set my teeth on edge, and the DPF seemed to kill the fuel
>> economy.

Thanks for that.

The consensus on Pistonheads is the same. Apparently it's best to go for the 163bhp Euro III (pre-DPF as you say) engine, that came on cars up to I think 2004. Much smoother, more economical, just generally nicer.
Last edited by: corax on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 16:41
>> The consensus on Pistonheads is the same. Apparently it's best to go for the 163bhp
>> Euro III (pre-DPF as you say) engine, that came on cars up to I think
>> 2004. Much smoother, more economical, just generally nicer.
>>
55 plate saw the introduction of the 185 Euro IV I think they came in with Model Year 2006 (May 2005). There might be the odd 05 with that engine, 54's are Euro III.

The pulley on mine went along with the ancilliary belt at just under the 60k mark two years ago. That's on a car that had a full Volvo history up to that point. Not due until 96k or 8 years. I switched to a Volvo specialist for servicing after that.

Currently got a very (black) smokey D5 at 74k miles. Think the intercooler has let go, either that or the boost control valve is sticking. I'll have a look for the oily evidence (if it's the IC) when I see daylight again.
 Would you buy a car from... - R.P.
As regards today's sales experience - it was pretty good. We called in the garage for a look on the way to get some bananas (don't ask) - pretty horrible day, we were approached by the sales bloke who went after the initial exchange, came back later just in time to explain all the different engine versions, then offered us an unaccompanied test drive, which we took up. Mrs RP gave it a thrashing and pronounced as a good 'un. No pressure at all, just enough interest and plenty of product knowledge.
>> Currently got a very (black) smokey D5 at 74k miles. Think the intercooler has let
>> go, either that or the boost control valve is sticking. I'll have a look for
>> the oily evidence (if it's the IC) when I see daylight again.

It's a weak point by the looks of it that's for sure. This guy is going to have his copper cored when it fails again - might be a good idea if it works

www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91704
A few have had custom built ICs fitted. About £8 6r 900 but might be worth it as the standard item is in the region of 3 or 400.
As mine is a bit more than the standard 163PS the extra spend might be a wise investment in man maths terms.
>> A few have had custom built ICs fitted. About £8 6r 900 but might be
>> worth it as the standard item is in the region of 3 or 400.

Strewth, thats the sort of price that would put me off one. The guy on that link is quoting £200 +VAT for the intercooler from Volvo (for an XC90). I guess your price includes fitting? Surely you could get a custom intercooler for less than £900? Wouldn't be much more to replace the clutch and DMF :) A recored copper intercooler should be do-able for sane money by a good specialist.

Where there's a will there's a way. I s'pose Cliff Pope would just keep a spare car in his garden:)
Last edited by: corax on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 19:40
I was thinking along the lines of one of these
forums.t5d5.org/topic/12199-s60r-t5-fmic/
>> I was thinking along the lines of one of these
>> forums.t5d5.org/topic/12199-s60r-t5-fmic/

It's a work of art. Could be a cure for your smoking and have a healthy increase in power.
>> It's a work of art. Could be a cure for your smoking and have a
>> healthy increase in power.
>>
Not sure that's a good thing...the power increase that is. I'll have to look at the suspension which is starting to get a bit baggy now anyway.
Got a fish thing on yours?

:-)
Taxi for Humph !

;-)
Sofort !
The fish thing is an identifier for certain brands of "Traveller"
Like having a pampas grass in the garden kind of thing ?
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 21:02
>> The fish thing is an identifier for certain brands of "Traveller"
#
you sure? You need to be very careful there matey, it could be very embarrassing.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 21:04
Really? I always thought it was Sunday school teachers and so on? Not that I've got any kind of downer on Sunday school teachers you know. Just thought it was a happy clappy thing.
Well it is/was one of the earliest symbols of the Christian Church. But things change.
 Would you buy a car from... - Bromptonaut
>> Well it is/was one of the earliest symbols of the Christian Church. But things change.

Certainly used in that context as a car badge round here - possibly associated with the Jesus Army.
What the hell are you lot on about? Me and gmac were waxing lyrical about D5's then Humph rudely bumps in and starts going on about fish.

Grrr

:)
>> Me and gmac were waxing lyrical about
>> D5's

Muttering from under them flat caps that are compulsory for Volvo owners more like..:-)

Thats torn it, can't get a 960 estate now
Estate? I see...

Seen the light have we? No fish reference intended you understand. Pure coincidence.
>> Seen the light have we?
>>
Not if he's looking at a Volvo. Sorry mate didn't see you is the mantra of the estate driver.
Speaking as a biker you understand :-P
>> Seen the light have we?

Windowed van is one of several possibilities for when a replacement car is due, those 9 series estates carry the spare wheel in the rear quarter panel with a similar space the other side which normally houses the washer bottle.

Suitable fitments could see 2 x 65 litre toroidal LPG tanks installed and a spacesaver would fit in the underfloor storage space, downsize the washer bottle, job done.

Did look at V70 Volvos too, serious lack of petrols and i'm not really sure i like modern V's anyway, and i am fast moving away from modern Diesel as my preferred choice.

If i had to choose an estate tomorrow it would be a new shape Avensis, but then they ruined that with an electric handbrake that works backwards to every other car made.

For pity's sake why can't they just stop fiddling with a good basic design, if it ain't broke etc, thats why the pick ups are so tempting again.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 22:30
>> If i had to choose an estate tomorrow it would be a new shape Avensis,
>> but then they ruined that with an electric handbrake that works backwards to every other
>> car made.

Honda Accord estate? Try driving an Avensis for a least half an hour, because I find it starts to get uncomfortable after a lengthy spell at the wheel.. They've been designed for the vertically challenged.
Try driving an Avensis for a least half an hour, because I
>> find it starts to get uncomfortable after a lengthy spell at the wheel..

Will take that on board C, i've driven hundreds of the new model but not for long periods, the auto's are very refined.

I like the previous Accord but the new model thats been on Mazda's steroids i could not own, simply too ugly.

Both are quite low cars anyway, had no trouble running three deck heights, so that must have an effect on passenger headroom.

SWM gets that silly mischevious grin when i look at Forester XT's, somehow i get the feeling SHE might suddenly need a bigger car.
>> SWM gets that silly mischevious grin when i look at Forester XT's, somehow i get
>> the feeling SHE might suddenly need a bigger car.

Forester XT, LPG, sorted. I'm sure Lygonos would be able to tip you over the balance. Lets hope he's not around :)

I'm only talking about the older model Avensis, but since Toyota don't change the basics much, I imagine it would be similar with the new models. It's the reason I'll probably be looking at Accords again next year. I cannot abide an uncomfortable seating position when I want to do a few epic drives. Went to Goodwood Festival of Speed earlier this year and ended up with no feeling in my posterior by the time I got home. The seats do not support long legs. I should have tested the Accord - they're supposed to have really good seats, close to Saab/Volvo standard.
Last edited by: corax on Fri 9 Dec 11 at 09:07
 Would you buy a car from... - WillDeBeest
I like the previous Accord but the new model thats been on Mazda's steroids i could not own, simply too ugly.

Crikey, GB - I've heard of nightclubs that won't let you in unless you're pretty enough, but I didn't know car dealers had the same rules.
};---)

Now, what's this about smoky D5s? I don't believe I've ever seen so much as a smut from one; certainly not from my E3 163. (And I do notice these things - the Verso parps the occasional black cloud after Mrs Beest's been pootling about town in it all week.) I have read on the owners' fora about smoke from failing turbos and intercoolers, but when my intercooler went (very gradually, with increasingly frequent 'Engine Service Required' messages) there was no smoke, or any external sign of trouble.

Still well pleased with my D5, even though it has cost me a bit since passing 110,000 miles. Aiming to replace it next year, but I may yet change my mind and get rid of the unlovable Verso instead.
>> Now, what's this about smoky D5s? I don't believe I've ever seen so much as
>> a smut from one; certainly not from my E3 163. (And I do notice these
>> things - the Verso parps the occasional black cloud after Mrs Beest's been pootling about
>> town in it all week.) I have read on the owners' fora about smoke from
>> failing turbos and intercoolers, but when my intercooler went (very gradually, with increasingly frequent 'Engine
>> Service Required' messages) there was no smoke, or any external sign of trouble.
>>
>> Still well pleased with my D5, even though it has cost me a bit since
>> passing 110,000 miles. Aiming to replace it next year, but I may yet change my
>> mind and get rid of the unlovable Verso instead.
>>

Still very happy with the car but you wouldn't want to follow me at the moment.
Just checked with the garage who services it, need to get it in for a smoke test. Can't see anything from the intercooler but wouldn't be surprised if it is leaking.
It really chokes up until it hits 2200rpm then takes off like a scalded cat and lots of smoke to show for it. Fuel consumption is off at the moment, only getting 41.3mpg.
Engine Service Required light coming on at a constant 3000rpm in top now, previously didn't see it until over 4000rpm.
Smoked fish?
Nah ! Just means the Merc driver behind has to stop and clean his illuminating roof badge.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 9 Dec 11 at 16:33
 Would you buy a car from... - PeterS
I imagine the overspray from the headlight washers will sort that problem out!!
Did you get your intercooler fixed WDB and if so was it Volvo or did you go elsewhere.

Just had a look online 293€ incl. VAT for the standard item. That will probably need doing again in three or four years time or do I just bite the bullet and get the custom one done ? Hmmm...
>> Did you get your intercooler fixed WDB and if so was it Volvo or did
>> you go elsewhere.
>>
>> Just had a look online 293€ incl. VAT for the standard item. That will probably
>> need doing again in three or four years time or do I just bite the
>> bullet and get the custom one done ? Hmmm...

How about this one from radtec? £360 inc.Vat. Same size but better quality.

forums.t5d5.org/topic/11955-how-many-intercooler-threads/page__st__20
Thanks corax, I'd forgotten about radtec. I remember reading that thread now.
Just loathe spending 300 on something I know is going to fail again in short order.

I wonder what they have in the newer S80 ? That's now running 215 standard or 235ish with Polestar. Can't imagine they'll be doing that with these chocolate ICs.
>> I wonder what they have in the newer S80 ? That's now running 215 standard
>> or 235ish with Polestar. Can't imagine they'll be doing that with these chocolate ICs.

One would hope that the intercoolers are a stronger type, and that they don't carry on the VAG practice of carrying the same old design faults into new cars, like scuttle leaks. One theory is that the intercoolers on the D60, V70 e.t.c cook between the aircon rad and engine rad due to their proximity, but I don't know, they should be designed to take some heat.

One things for sure, Volvo must be doing a nice line in replacement intercoolers, they probably have a separate man employed to handle sales!

How much you spend depends on how much you want to keep the car I suppose, the usual stuff of weighing up maintenance versus cost of replacement. Has it been expensive to run so far? Having never owned a Volvo, they seem to me to be a car that can go on for a ridiculously long time, but liable to throw up a few bills, usually big. I'd liked to be proved otherwise.
Other than routine servicing I've had the brakes done all round once (discs, pads & shoes).
I chose to replace the bottom suspension bushes with polybushes before three years old, the top engine mount was replaced at the last service as the original had split (known fault - new one is different design). Belts all done at 60k when the original pulley and ancialliary belt went.

That's about it, no plans to sell anytime soon. MPG is too good to get rid when it's working as intended.

Not what I would call a money pit butI have read some stories on the owner's forum which have been scary. Doesn't help if you get a dealer who just wants to throw parts at the car until it's fixed rather than find and fix the problem but I suppose that's true of any marque.
Which is the best user-forum gmac ?
 Would you buy a car from... - Videodoctor
Can i ask why a thread about car salesmen has now become a thread about Volvo's.

Shouldn't we be sticking to the topic of the original poster and maybe start a new thread on Volvo's bits and bobs?
>> Shouldn't we be sticking to the topic of the original poster and maybe start a
>> new thread on Volvo's bits and bobs?

Err, the OP did want to buy a Volvo...
Last edited by: corax on Fri 9 Dec 11 at 22:40
 Would you buy a car from... - Videodoctor
Yes but the main discussion was about how the dealer dealt with him.Posts after that are about peoples dealer experiences.Suddenly the thread goes off talking about Volvo intercoolers which the original poster didn't mention.
If you want to talk about Volvo reliabilty etc then start a new thread.

I am just saying that threads should generally stay on topic.
>> 'I am just saying that threads should generally stay on topic!'

... cried a faint distant plaintive voice from somewhere far out in the wilderness...

:o}
>>out in the wilderness

How did this get onto those damn Picts Hadrian sorted?
Videodoctor has a point - six months from now someone may ask a question about Volvo intercoolers - I'll remember this discussion, but be damned if I can find it....
you could try the forum search function?
Yeah I know and I do it daily.
good to know you take your 5 a day, but that really is too much information.
Re Thread drift.

One of the delights of this forum is how a thread can twist and turn. If you rigidly police the forum try and enforce en topique it becomes bitter and tiresome.

A thread is what its contributors make it, on topic or not, but generally speaking if the OP wants to keep it on topic they should gently nudge the contributors back in line.
>> Videodoctor has a point - six months from now someone may ask a question about
>> Volvo intercoolers - I'll remember this discussion, but be damned if I can find it....
>>
Point taken. However, if someone has used the forum search and come across Volvo V70 D5 it'll serve as a useful pointer(s) what to look for.
>> Which is the best user-forum gmac ?
>>
It's a personal preference thing, there are a few around, day to day I use:
www.volvoforums.org.uk/

I also look in on t5d5 where they like a bit of extra performance.

Ok guys, found you the Volvo you want, I guess you might need to check the intercooler is ok on this before you buy it.

s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/know_wun/New%20Volvo/
Did Mr. Pope give you permission to go roaming on his LAAAAND.

You could have washed your replacement for the Lancer before showing us the pics :-)
Latest Forum Posts