Motoring Discussion > BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 21

BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - Hard Cheese

123d M-Sport 3dr bought in May at 6000 miles, it has most of the desirable options including Bluetooth, cruise, leather, front and rear park sensors, heated seats, 18” alloys etc. It was registered in early 2010 though is a 2009 model, the only differences are that 2005/09 1 Series have far more attractive mirrors (the 2010/11 models have squarer chunky things) and also the 2010/11 123d models have 3g/km less CO2 figures and are therefore in one bracket lower re RFL (and BiK if it applies). Apparently this is achieved by an ECU update which can be/has been applied to 2007/09 cars though of course the official rating is not changed.

I think that the 3dr M-Sport looks a little better than the 5dr, the 3dr was launched along with the coupe in early 2007 and has the same pillarless doors meaning that the windows retract a few mm when the door is opened etc. I was concerned about wind noise at speed though it is fine in that regard. Whereas the coupe is a four seater the three door has five seats as per the five door and is a good compromise albeit a little less practical than the 5dr. I prefer the visibility in the 3dr/coupe in which, like my 3dr Focus ST, you can look right over your right shoulder for an unrestricted view of the road.

We have two 1 series, the other being a 2005 120i Sport (5dr as all early 1 Series were) running 205/50 tyres on 17” wheels which perhaps offers a slightly better ride handling compromise than the 123d which is on 215/40-18 (front) and 245/35-18 (rear) tyres, the 123d is a little harsh on rutted roads though really not too bad. Frankly both have very communicative steering and corner on rails.

Performance wise the 123d (204bhp) is astonishing for a 2 litre diesel, thanks to having a small turbo than spins up quickly at low engine speeds as well as a larger one that can sustain a large flow of air at higher engine speeds it has bags of torque from very low revs and pulls to 4800 rpm with the feeling of the power growing kind of exponentially as the revs rise just like a highly tuned petrol engine. However it never feels at all stressed and is more refined than the 118d (143bhp) and 116d* (116BHP) I have driven recently. The 123d is also lower geared than the 116d/118d/120d all of which have a top gear around 38mph/1000rpm (chasing lower CO2 figures) where as the 123d is geared to about 32mph/1000rpm in top offering amazing flexibility in top as well as great refinement at motorway speeds. While not having quite the same high rpm rush as my previous Focus ST, on paper and in practice the 123d is virtually as quick, furthermore I have also driven a 130i recently (265bhp 3ltr 6cyl) which has lovely instantaneous throttle response and a great sound track though was less gutsy than the 123d at low rpm and only felt stronger pushing past 5000rpm.

Economy, it has averaged 45mpg, somewhat lower than the clamed 55 combined though not bad for the performance, I also feel that it has loosened up so may improve.

Problems, a slight issue with the leather on the front passenger seat lead to the squabs of both front seats being replaced no quibble despite the car being well over a year old at the time, I have also had a slight clutch judder which is being attended to currently.

I have jacked it up and spun the wheels to see if the potholed roads/18” wheel/very low profile tyre combo has taken its toll on the wheels though they spin true unlike my Focus ST which had new wheels at around 40k miles (at the lease company’s expense) which were already a little out of true when I passed it on at 70k miles.

*I thought a 116d would feel dog slow in comparison, of course it is a lot slower though it is quite a good drive with decent torque at low revs and pulls well through to 3000rpm.

Commencing with the 184bhp 320d/520d in 2010 BMW have introduced twin scroll turbos under the “Twin Power” moniker, the 2011 model 525d ditched the 3.0 ltr 6cyl unit for a variant of the 123d 2.0 unit featuring, as I understand it, two twin scroll turbos, this produces 218bhp and an amazing performance/economy combo for a large car. I guess that the new 1 Series will feature a 123d or 125d with this engine, likewise with the 2.0 turbo 4cyl petrol 328i replacing the 330i perhaps the new 325d will do also. Twin scroll turbos separate the exhaust gas entering the turbo into two channels, on a 4 cyl engine the exhaust gasses from two cyls (IIRC cyls 1 & 4) enter one channel and the exhaust gasses from the other two cyls (2 & 3) enter the other channel, this is supposed to offer benefits in the time the turbo takes to spool up.

--
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - DP
Mmm, sounds good Cheddar. Haven't tried a 1, but if the 3 is any indicator, there's a 'rightness' to the way BMWs drive.

These BMW diesel engines are astonishing. 204 bhp and 45 'real world' mpg would have been the stuff of fantasy even a decade ago. Also impressive to read that stretching a diesel to >100 bhp per litre hasn't resulted in refinement or flexibility compromises. It wasn't so long ago that diesel engines became quite lumpy in their delivery when pushed much beyond 75 bhp per litre.

Hope the reliability continues. BMWs seem rather patchy in that department nowadays if our work fleet (consisting of about 300 of them) is any indication. Over complex perhaps?
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - -
Bit of a Marmite car, like many BMW models seem to be, i like them.

Many people hate them and if you looked at them as just another Eurobox then they do look expensive, bit like the Audi A3.

It's not till you drive them that you realise this really is a good replacement for the popular 3 series compact, lovely engines good build quality and a lot shorter than the equivalent saloon.

The icing on the cake is that you can have a wide choice of engines and a proper automatic box option with virtually all, a lovely smooth transmission it is too, very few competitors offer Diesels with good proper auto boxes, and RWD to make driving a pleasure and not a steer the shopping trolley experience.

I drove a 1 series coupe one day, only just touched the throttle and thing leapt down the road, quite took me breath away as it looked nothing special, i assumed it was a basic 120...then saw the tiny 135 badge on the boot, talk about wolf in sheeps clothing.

My only gripe with them is that the interiors are so dark and gloomy, presumably you could spec them up with light leather upholstery and proper wood cappings if that is your thing, it is mine, but considering i delivered a lot of these i never found any...hmm maybe it's me..;)
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - Londoner
Thanks for the review, Cheddar.

I've been a cheerleader for the 1-series on a few threads, because I think that they are all the BMW that most people need. Noticably more agile than a 3-series and the benefit of a hatch over a boot (no need to pay the silly premium for an estate).

The looks aren't as "challenging" as some people claim - I think that a view become the conventional wisdom and some people are like sheep. I think that it looks quite striking - certainly much better than a bland VW Golf (though the Golf is very good in all other respects of course).

The 123d must be astonishing. I only ever drove the 120d and that was brilliant enough.

How long do you plan to hang on to it?

>> How long do you plan to hang on to it?
>>

Not sure, frankly a 5dr would be more practical as for that matter would a 3 Series touring though no plans to change it in the short to medium term.

>> 204 bhp and 45 'real world' mpg would have been the stuff of fantasy even a decade ago. >>

Until shortly before the 123d was announced in fact.

BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - Jimbo
Hi,

I have a 123d 3 door M Sport as well. I bought it ex demo in July 2009, 08 model, with about 2,000 miles on the clock, and have put 90,000 more miles on it in nearly 2 and a half years.

Everything said here is true - it is a fantastic car. However I cannot achieve the 45mpg without driving like a real saint. More realistically, with motorway driving, I am happy with anything over 40mpg based on cruising around 80-85mph. For a while I was really driving carefully (due to being on 9 points!) and if I went 70/75, very gently, I could get to 50mpg or so on a long (200 mile) run.

For me I would love it to be geared slightly higher. I would rather sacrifice a bit of 6th gear performance in exchange for a few extra mpg. But really if that was the main concern I should have got a 120d instead!

In all those miles nothing whatsoever has gone wrong and it has been relatively economical on brakes and tyres. I am planning to keep it for another couple of years, by which time it will be pushing 200,000 miles and I am confident that it will remain reliable up until then. All that said, with 18" wheels it is absolutely useless in the snow, but is improved by a remarkable amount with a set of auto socks which got me around pretty well last year and are already in the boot ready for this winter!

Cheers

James

>> However I cannot achieve the 45mpg without driving like a real saint. >>

Strange, mine is doing an easy 44/45mpg and I don't hang around.

>> For me I would love it to be geared slightly higher. >>

I find the gearing to be perfect, well spaced, the others are geared too long for me. Anyway while it might help with EU combined cycle tests I don't think it would make much difference to real world economy.

Where did you get the autosocks?

BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - idle_chatterer
Sounds like a great engine and the future option for people watching their CO2 emissions too. I loved my 2009 330D with 245PS, it also gave around 45mpg and fantastic (IMHO) performance, I wonder whether this (rather fine) engine) is now doomed to be supplanted by the twin-turbo 4 cylinder range ?
>>I loved my 2009 330D with 245PS, it also gave around 45mpg and fantastic (IMHO) performance, I wonder whether this (rather fine) engine) is now doomed to be supplanted by the twin-turbo 4 cylinder range ?
>>

In the 5 Series range the 6cyl 272bhp 530i has been retained along side the new 4 cyl turbo 245bhp 528i though the new 3 Series range drops the 330i which is replaced with the 328i, the 335i is retained. If the same approach is taken with the diesel engines then yes the 330d could go though I doubt it. This engine is now 258 bhp in the 530d and fills the gap between the 218bhp 525d and 306bhp 535d, the same would presumably be the case for the 3 Series.

BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - R.P.
Don't remind me - expensive therapy (twitch)
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - Iffy
...Don't remind me - expensive therapy (twitch)...

The winter tyres would probably fit on a new one.

>> This engine is now 258 bhp in the 530d and fills the gap between the
>> 218bhp 525d and 306bhp 535d, the same would presumably be the case for the 3
>> Series.
>>

With the ever present need to get lower 'headline' CO2 figures the trend towards fewer cylinders and lower cc seems set. My personal experience is that a lower-stressed higher capacity engine gives better real-world fuel economy but maybe that's just my driving style.
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - Jimbo
>>Strange, mine is doing an easy 44/45mpg and I don't hang around.

It is strange - if I do a run at solid 85 or so, maybe touching up to 90, I will not even get 40. My commute to work is approx 25 miles of motorway, at normal rush hour obviously I can't really do 85, more like 65, and it's a rare day that I would see an economy figure starting with 40 for the journey.

I've been using fuelly on and off to track the mileage...over the 39k tracked miles it has averaged 37.2mpg. It's by no means a full summary as I keep forgetting to do it, and didn't for a long time at the start, but it gives a good picture: www.fuelly.com/driver/jamesus/123d

Re the gearing it is just frustrating to be at 80 on the motorway and at 2500 revs. If it was at 2000 that would surely make a big difference to the economy at that point.

I am tempted by a 335d (or maybe 635d) as the next car when this one eventually does go, on the assumption that it will give at least the same mpg if not slightly better as the engine will be less stressed.

The autosocks were actually from Amazon. They are these ones: www.amazon.co.uk/Snow-Socks-Fabric-Chains-Tyres/dp/B005UQ6666/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1322908700&sr=8-5 but obviously a different size.

Re the turbos, I am told the 123d is not affected by the turbo issues. But we also have a 320d on about 100k miles, pushing 4 years old now, and the turbo is starting to go on that, it's making a funny noise and the (trusted independent) garage says it hasn't got long left. I am bracing for a big bill!
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - -
>> But we also have a 320d on about 100k miles, pushing 4 years old now,
>> and the turbo is starting to go on that, it's making a funny noise

That's good you know it's on the way out, would it be an idea to get your turbo refurbed somewhere whilst it's serviceable (can't do any further damage either) and you can plan some alternative transport for a couple of days, might be cheaper rebuild than you think.

>> I've been using fuelly on and off to track the mileage...>>

I will cruise generally at 75-80. I have tracked it with a spreadsheet, currently 44 ish (writing this on my phone so cant check). A little disappointing relative to the combined 55.1mpg. My Mondeo did just under 46mpg over 140k miles against a combined of 47.8.

Perhaps get the firmware updated on yours.

>> Re the gearing it is just frustrating to be at 80 on the motorway and
>> at 2500 revs. If it was at 2000 that would surely make a big difference
>>

Mine is 2400 at 80 whereas a 118/120d would be 2100, not a massive difference though I prefer the closer ratios and top gear flexibility.

>> I am tempted by a 335d (or maybe 635d) as the next car when this
>> one eventually does go, on the assumption that it will give at least the same
>> mpg if not slightly better as the engine will be less stressed.
>>

Both are auto only, I dont believe they would anywhere near as economical. A manual 330d might come quite close.

The 123d engine is not at all stressed at cruising speeds though and never feels so even when using the performance.

>> The autosocks were actually from Amazon.>>

Thanks.

>> But we also have a 320d on about 100k miles, pushing 4 years old now, and the turbo is starting to go on that, it's making a funny noise and>>

Get it sorted before it fails. Might be worth paying a dealer £75 for a official diagnosis.
>>
>> Both are auto only, I dont believe they would anywhere near as economical. A manual
>> 330d might come quite close.
>>

My manual 330d easily averaged 44-45mpg and driven gently (say a 75mph cruise) it would easily give better than 50mpg although I can't remember quite how much - maybe 55mpg or so. In urban usage that would drop but IIRC never below a 40mpg average (my motoring was generally mixed though).

I chose manual because it was a company car and I wanted low CO2, you'll pay a lot less for a manual second hand since automatics are favoured, my observation was that the engine was so flexible that you didn't need to swap cogs that much - in gear acceleration is very impressive. So, if you can live with a manual don't discount the option.

The gear change is precise but quite 'meaty', especially 1st to 2nd IIRC, the clutch is surprisingly light given all that torque, 389lbft I think - about adequate IMHO ;-)

0-62mph performance is similar for the 335d. 330d(m) and 330d(a) IIRC, for the E91 that's 6.1s, 6.2s and 6.3s respectively. I had a weekend test drive in a 330d(a) and it still managed mid 40s mpg in my hands with occasional use of the performance. I understand that the 335d is a lot thirstier although I can't comment on whether the extra performance is worth it (it might be).

A nice big low-stressed engine in a smaller(er) car will give excellent economy in my experience - whilst still allowing the occasional blast past a boy racer or a tax-dodger in a de-badged blinged up 318d M-Sport / 120PS S-Line A4 etc......
>>
>> I will cruise generally at 75-80. I have tracked it with a spreadsheet, currently 44
>> ish (writing this on my phone so cant check). >>

Just checked, 45.18 mpg to the end November.

BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - Pezzer
Thanks for this report Cheddar. Its very factual and you certainly seem to admire many aspects of the car......... but are you pleased with it and do you like it ?
Perhaps Im projecting my own experience with my 120d here but it was not until it was about to go back to the lease co that I realised how much I didnt want this to happen, having admired many aspects of the car.

I'm currently knocking about in an e46 325 Touring but when the 'right' one comes along I will have another 1er, I'm just not sure which derivative......... I know the previous BMW 2.0ds suffered with Turbo failures and swirl flap ingestion which makes me think twice about private ownership of a diesel out of warranty. Hopefully the later generation are more reliable was this something you looked into ?

Last edited by: Pezzer on Thu 1 Dec 11 at 12:52

>> but are you pleased with it and do you like it >> ?

Yes to both, the only considerations are:

The ride is a touch harsher than our 120i which, as I said above, is perhaps a better ride/handling compromise.

The 3dr looks great though is a little less practical than the 5 dr. The access to the rear is not quite as good as the 3dr Focus ST.

The engine is so linear, like a bigger capacity n/a whereas one of the things I liked about my old TDCi 130 was that while it pulled strongly and immediately from indecently low revs you could feel the torque build, like riding a wave of torque. The 123d is clearly more powerful and more torquey though as I say it is also so linear, it simply goes in line with the angle of your right foot.

>> Perhaps Im projecting my own experience with my 120d here but it was not until
>> it was about to go back to the lease co that I realised how much
>> I didnt want this to happen, having admired many aspects of the car.
>>

I know what you mean, I have thought of looking for a 330d Touring, that process made me focus on what I like about the 123d.

>>I know the previous BMW 2.0ds suffered with Turbo failures and swirl flap ingestion which makes me think twice about private ownership of a diesel out of warranty. Hopefully the later generation are more reliable was this something you looked into ?
>>

I may well change it before the warranty expires however I have not heard of these issues with later BMW 2.0ds.

BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - 123d 6 month report - Pezzer
How does the 120i go ? I've always considered it, perhaps unfairly, the poor relation compared to the 120d .

>> How does the 120i go ? >>

Ours is pre facelift 150bhp, post facelift they are quoted as 170bhp and, on paper, more economical. It is pretty flexible with well spaced ratios though needs revving to really perform - which is no hardship because it is quite sweet. On paper 0-60 in 8ish and 135mph. Good fun to drive if not outstandingly fast, averages about 35mpg over mainly shortish journeys.

While on the subject, of the non M-Sport cars the pre-facelift 1ers are better looking IHO, the front bumper / spoiler / fog light arrangement is much more attractive than the latter SE/ESs, ours is a Sport which sits a little lower as per the M-Sport (later Sports are not lowered) and looks great on its 17" alloys.

Not sure what your budget is though while I was looking for the 123d earlier this year I saw a couple of 2007 120i M-Sports, low mileage and good spec, for 12K ish, one was 5dr on 17" alloys and the other a 3dr with the 18" alloys, good value compared to a 118/120/123ds of the same age/mileage.

Latest Forum Posts