Motoring Discussion > Honda Jazz/Fit - Honda Jazz CVT problems
Thread Author: Stroudie Replies: 5

Honda Jazz/Fit - Honda Jazz CVT problems - Stroudie
I had a 54 plate Jazz CVT, and thought it was great, but at 44K it developed a judder when pulling away from rest.
A bit of a search on the web quickly identified it as a known issue with the start clutch.
It seems some owners were being charged up to £400 to flush the gearbox, and fill with a different fluid, or more to replace the start clutch.
Then I found Honda had increased the warranty on the gearbox to 7 years or 100K, so took the car to the dealer, who flushed the gearbox and replaced fluid with the new spec-FOC.
All was well until this September, at 56K, when the judder re-appeared.
Back the car goes, and the dealer says Honda require them to do another flush, customer to drive 200 miles and return for re-assessment, so another refill, again FOC, thankfully.
After 200 miles the car was going perfectly!
So-What to do?
Since it was going well, Honda would be unlikely to approve renewing the start clutch, but by now the car is more than 7 years old-so if the problem re-appears it costs me, not Honda.
This was my logic-Get rid now, or in 1 or 2 years the repair would cost more than the car was worth.
So I found an immaculate 10 plate Jazz i-Shift with 12k on the clock,FSH,in a colour we both liked (Storm Silver) for £9495, and got £2500 in P/Ex.
I know many posters don't like AMTs, but I have a Smart Roadster and a Fiat Ducato based Motorhome with the Comfortmatic, and don't have any issues with them.
They each have their slightly different characteristics which you just adapt to.
Other dealers were asking £1000-£1500 more for similar cars, and the new CVT with Torque converter instead of the start clutch are a lot more than that, so I decided to have a go with an i-Shift.
I'll post again if it doesn't turn out well.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Honda Jazz CVT problems - Slidingpillar
Take care, a fair few i-Shift owners couldn't get on with it, and have reverted to CVTs. i-Shift was always slated, and that is why the CVT is now offered again.

If it suits you, good.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Honda Jazz CVT problems - Bill Payer
We were warned not to hang on to our 53 reg Jazz for ever so we swapped it for a new one a couple of years ago.

It's not just the CVTs that have issues - the manual transmission ones have bearing problems.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Honda Jazz CVT problems - Mike Hannon
I tried a Jazz with i-shift a few weeks ago, after decades of various Honda autoboxes. It was the worst 'auto' transmission I have ever used.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Honda Jazz CVT problems - Avant
There speaks someone who's never driven a Vauxhall Corsa 'Easytronic' - or if you have, Mike, the Jazz I-Shift must be truly awful.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Honda Jazz CVT problems - Mike Hannon
No I haven't driven one. I was forced to drive an office Corsa some years ago and I vowed I'd never go near anything with that name again.
I found the i-shift was just barely acceptable in 'manual' mode but it couldn't cope sensibly at all with any sort of normal driving in 'auto' mode. And I had set out, as mentioned above, with the idea that it would be ok if driven with a modicum of understanding.
Latest Forum Posts