Motoring Discussion > Best petrol buy. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 89

Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Fleet review time...!

As the pup is rapidly growing (another kilo on this week) - and we need more boot space..!

The X1 is staying - Winter tyres to recover their cost (!), free servicing for the next four years, funding pot is locked out for the next three years...and I actually like it.

Mrs RP's MX5 is two years old, not the ideal commuter and she feels not getting the proper use out of it, although she does love it, again free servicing, but will need a couple of tyres soon.

So there's a choice chop the Mazda in for an Audi A4 estate (a car she loved when she had one on loan when her her previous S3 Quattro was in for a service and loved the space and the creamy "new" diesel engine).

The other option is to keep the MX5 and buy a cheapie estate - my idea is to go for a petrol engined Mondeo or Vectra ----- or (suggestions please).....the Jag X-type carrot has been dangled but I don't need a diesel in this role as the mileage would be low.

Ideas ??

Best petrol buy. - swiss tony
Hmm, How about this for an idea?
Your household has IIRC the X1, the MX5, and 2 bikes?
How about swapping the drivers of the 2 cars?

And... you could take an evening course to learn hairdressing?

(Ducks to avoid getting hit!)
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
:-)
 Best petrol buy. - Zero
>
>> The other option is to keep the MX5 and buy a cheapie estate - my
>> idea is to go for a petrol engined Mondeo or Vectra ----- or (suggestions please).....the
>> Jag X-type carrot has been dangled but I don't need a diesel in this role
>> as the mileage would be low.

They do make petrol x-types you know

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201128401647361
 Best petrol buy. - Runfer D'Hills
318i touring

Enough room for dogs. Enough power to be fun. Good economy. Reliable. Good enough handling to please a keen driver.

Edit - you could of course go for a Lancer estate if your standards have really dropped...

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 20 Nov 11 at 19:04
 Best petrol buy. - Zero
I know you never connected with your Cashscow, and you have a fetish about footwear, would you like to connect with my boot?
Have to catch me first, and frankly, in that Mitsubishi, that's just not going to happen now is it?

:-))
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 20 Nov 11 at 19:24
 Best petrol buy. - Zero
>> Have to catch me first, and frankly, in that Mitsubishi, that's just not going to
>> happen now is it?
>>
>> :-))

When its icy or snowy? duck=sitting
>> duck=sitting

'pends if it's soft southerner driving or someone who understands how to handle the conditions I guess...
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Funnily enough Mrs RP is fond of the 3 series - her father has a cracking 325, nice car that.....
So the problem now is just which engine really...

Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Are there four cylinder petrol engines these days ? (!)
 Best petrol buy. - rtj70
>> Are there four cylinder petrol engines these days ? (!)
>>

You are joking aren't you? Even BMW are ditching some straight 6 engines for turbo petrol straight 4s. I know you're not talking new.

The Audi A4 is available for example as a 1.8T petrol. 160PS. Better still the 2.0T.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 20 Nov 11 at 19:49
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
I am joking ! I like the thought of six pot.
 Best petrol buy. - rtj70
You might not get a new BMW 6 pot for long. Twin scroll (or triple!) is the order of the day. I think the next 328 would be 2.0 turbo. Triple scroll turbo will have one all electric one.
 Best petrol buy. - 832ark
>>You might not get a new BMW 6 pot for long. Twin scroll (or triple!) is the order of the >>day. I think the next 328 would be 2.0 turbo. Triple scroll turbo will have one all electric >>one.

Do you mean twin turbos (or the new triple turbos)? Twin scroll is a totally different thing.
 Best petrol buy. - rtj70
>> Do you mean twin turbos (or the new triple turbos)? Twin scroll is a totally different thing.

Yes.
 Best petrol buy. - Londoner
IIRC, BMW's 4-cylinder petrol engines are made in the UK.
So, but buying one you are helping to keep Brits in a job.
 Best petrol buy. - PeterS
Yes, BMW Plant Hams Hall: www.bmw-plant-hamshall.com/ is centre of competence for 4 cylinder petrol engines

Peter
 Best petrol buy. - Manatee
If they were my dogs they'd be in a trailer;-)

If you must have dogs in a car, a Defender pick up with an Ifor top is indicated.

Ifor Williams gets the business either way.
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Oh I know cracking kit - regular readers may remember that I was the proud owner of a IW trailer for a while - now sold after rationalisation of lifestyle.
 Best petrol buy. - Dog
Lancer Estate with the 2 ltr engine might be worth checking out Pugley.
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
I like that idea...
 Best petrol buy. - Dog
It's called the 'sport' estate www.honestjohn.co.uk/specs/detail/?v=MMITLANC0005
 Best petrol buy. - Dog
This'll give thee some idea:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi-Lancer-2-0-SPORT-ESTATE-/320714999867?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aac1a883b
>> I like that idea...

You might, but I'd have grave doubts as to whether your wife would willingly go from an MX5 to one of those ! No disrespect to the "olds" on here of course... but they are just a bit "beige" aren't they?
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 20 Nov 11 at 21:09
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Ah but this is a way to keep the MX5.
Helluva thing to have to do though !

If the dogs are friendly, could you not get away with another 1 series? A 3 litre one series for example....
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
They are friendly. You got me thinking....mmmm Beige....
 Best petrol buy. - Dog
Mines dark (ish) grey, and the missus drives it, mostly.
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
I was trying to find the thread on my friend's beige Skoda last winter.....that would do the job, in another colour of course.
Aw jeez no ! Puhleeez !

Poor woman's got to turn up in it at work remember? Have a heart !
 Best petrol buy. - Zero
I am selling mine. Its fine when I was the exclusive Lancer owner, now its getting beyond a joke.
 Best petrol buy. - ....
Volvo V70 T5.
Change the bottom bushes for Poly bushes and Roberto is your Zio as they say.
260 horsies to play with or if your feeling playful you could always look for a low mileage R (300PS 4WD); not to be confused with the R-Design.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 20 Nov 11 at 21:31
Oo-er now then gmac, not a shabby thought, not a shabby thought at all ! Keep at him, he's in danger of going off the rails a bit.

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 20 Nov 11 at 21:38
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Funnily enough a V70 was talked about yesterday. That would be a direct chop for the MX5 I assume.
 Best petrol buy. - ....
So I don't come over as all biased R.P. and Humph, what about a Chrysler C300 SRT ?
They must be cheap as chips with exhaust emissions to match Deeside power station...
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 20 Nov 11 at 22:06
 Best petrol buy. - Zero
>> So I don't come over as all biased R.P. and Humph, what about a Chrysler
>> C300 SRT ?
>> They must be cheap as chips with exhaust emissions to match Deeside power station...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410148424
 Best petrol buy. - ....
Look at that panel gap between the front and rear door. The dog could get in and out at will :-)
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
You couldn't make it up !

I was just looking at this site (trader down the road)

www.stermatcarvansales.co.uk/cars.php

Scroll down to large cars...!
 Best petrol buy. - ....
That 300C looks like a Merc Sprinter. Humph might start getting excited...
If you want a large, petrol estate with a bit of class then you won't go wrong with something like this: tinyurl.com/899985g ;-)

Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Mondeo/Vectra was mentioned in the OP - the Merc would be a little big for the driveway here...!
I'd wager that a Merc estate of that era is shorter and narrower than a Mondeo estate - don't forget how big cars have become!! You could then keep the MX5 as well :-)

Peter
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
I'm intimidated by it ! :-)
I was thinking that. I parked next to an old 300TE the other day and my car dwarfed it.

Just had another thought...ST220...
 Best petrol buy. - legacylad
330 Estate. Petrol of course.
I love my 330Ci to bits, and so glad I had to buy it instead of an MX5 (cos my old Mum could not get into it as easily).
Plenty of change from £10k for a good 'un like mine.
RP you and yours are more than welcome to borrow it if you get up to BD24.
Or an older Legacy estate as a runaround for sub £3k, with large sunroof, then sell the MX5 in Spring.
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Thanks for the offer, guess I'd love that engine as well...:-)
 Best petrol buy. - MPZ
I bought my "dog car", a 11 year old Legacy estate, in May 2007 for £1250 and it's still going strong.

Its been used mainly for the dogs, but with the seats down it can transport quite a load to the tip etc. and has proved to be a great asset.

MPZ
The older Legacy estates are vastly underrated.
The last one I had (my third) was R plate bought at 3 years old for £3.5k. 100% reliable during my ownership. Many ski trips to the Alps 4 up with a top box, underpowered yes, but grippy.Hard wearing but functional interior, and after 4 years I sold it for £1.9k, so £400pa depreciation I could live with, plus £35 for its annual oil change.
Almost a disposable 'white good' if you can find one cheap enough.
I've almost talked myself into buying another....
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Close to a decision - Volvo V50 D4 - All the kit. Really lovely car to drive and ride in. Clincher for me (and it won't be my car so to speak) is the remote control Thunderbirds type Sat Nav - but I'm a bloke.

Woman maths hard at work now.

Anyone want to buy a very nice 2 year old MX5 2.0 Sportech in black ?
Very good. Sounds like a plan. A good plan in fact. One thing though just bothers me ( Columbo mode on ) A motorcyclist with a Volvo? Doesn't seem right somehow.
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
I was thinking that exact thought in the showroom - there was a XC60 glowering at me - and I thought, how bizzare that I came to be sitting there. The V50 is a gentleperson's express. Mrs RP still likes the thought of a 3 series touring though. Now BMW make bikes as well.
V50 or 3 series touring? Now let me think about that....OK, I've thought about it.

Can I just ask, are you feeling quite well?

Best petrol buy. - R.P.
I rather like of the sound of that Volvo engine - It's a diesel. A FWD was considered superior in the conditions that she's likely to have to drive in. Having read your post on how to deal with sales-people I wanted to offer him 300 quid, a half used roll up, and pair of slightly worn Crocs.
 Best petrol buy. - Zero
Well look I suppose, if you want a vehicle to look the gentleman farmer, with your two dogs, then that's the ideal vehicle.

You'll need these to go with it mind

www.harristweedshop.com/breeches.html

Dont forget this

www.wrencountrysticks.co.uk/view_product.asp?productID=1430&departmentID=22&returnto=crooks.asp&page=
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
That's also been under discussion Zero - apparently the wagon of choice of the Welsh middle classes - get a harp in there easy.
 Best petrol buy. - ....
>> Very good. Sounds like a plan. A good plan in fact. One thing though just
>> bothers me ( Columbo mode on ) A motorcyclist with a Volvo? Doesn't seem right
>> somehow.
>>
Oi !!!
Proper Volvo diesel motor the D4, a short stroke D5 to get it down to 2.0 litres. None of that 4 cylinder rubbish...
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
I know best sounding diesel ever I reckon.
In all probability a very wise choice joking aside.

Bit "Christian" maybe. Did it have one of those little fish emblem things on the back?
 Best petrol buy. - Duncan
A motorcyclist with a Volvo? Doesn't seem>> right>> >> somehow.
>> >>

SMIDSY!
 Best petrol buy. - Avant
So get your V50 or 3-series Touring - and when you next have some spare cash, go for an old MX-5 just for fun. Or a Z3 like mine with a straight-six.
I'm pretty sure you could sell the MX5 privately. Especially if it had a folding hardtop.
Or just keep it and get that 6 or 7yo 330 Touring. Buying privately in January when peoples card bills start arriving.
You know it makes sense.
 Best petrol buy. - Iffy
Is there enough room around the pedals in the V50?

I tried a manual one and found it cramped for my size 10 plates.

Best petrol buy. - R.P.
She hasn't got size 10s !
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
That theory has been tested - sadly an MX5 is not a good austerity buy !
 Best petrol buy. - Hard Cheese

I drove a C30 D4 before getting the 123d, a slug of torque at 2000rpm ish though not as punchy, progressive or refined as the BMW.

Also despite being based on the same floor plan it exhibited a lot more torque steer than my Focus ST (which itself had a 5 cyl Volvo engine of course).

Somewhere in the back of my mind I want to think a V50 is a mildly posh design cousin to a Focus estate or was anyway? Might be wrong. No bad thing if it is mind.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 09:22
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
You're right Humph. Built in Belgium apparently.
Gonna do the deal?
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Ball's in her court - she's working this weekend so unlikely to be any developments - I'm keeping out of it just having the veracious enjoyment of a potential new car.
 Best petrol buy. - Avant
"....just having the veracious enjoyment of a potential new car."

If you weren't a lawyer I'd think you were confusing veracious with vicarious....
 Best petrol buy. - Iffy
...Built in Belgium apparently....

In Ghent, by the look of it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=opQtVj12i3s

Not to be confused with Genk, which has a Ford factory, but is elsewhere in Belgium:

media.ford.com/plant_display.cfm?plant_id=48
 Best petrol buy. - Auntie Lockbrakes
Yep, built in Belgium and none the worse for it in my experience. I bought a new V50 D5 in late-2006 and ran it for a couple of years. No problems with build quality. Boot space is pretty small for an estate though, and the interior felt less spacious than the S60 it replaced.

Oh, and at our age, best avoid the 18" wheels and sports suspension...!
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Suspension was well tested on the test, drive initially along the excellent A5025 and then along narrow rural roads, it rides better than the X1 on its summer run-flats.....There is a V60 D5 in the garage - a well specced car for the same price - decided against it as it was just too big for what we want. Very well priced though - nearly 10k off a 12 month old car.
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Called there tonight to clarify a couple of points spec wise. The sales chap mentioned the "D" word before I did. Game on.
V60s a pretty thing mind (if that matters.)
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
It is but we're limited - cars are parked on the drive and it's although very wide (sort of 6 car widths) its only a car length long....(maybe I should tarmac the back "garden")
Qashqais are short. Kinda cool too. Well, coolish, a bit, maybe.
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
I waved the Quashqai links under his nose - he said they were Nissan's Ford Focus - bit much as the V50 is a Ford Focus under the skin....I pointed that out to him in a helpful way. Bottom line here it's a 28k car with 8K on the clock and 10k off the price. Nice looking car. Some bargain Quashqais out there though.
 Best petrol buy. - corax
RP - did you buy the V50 or are you still looking?
 Best petrol buy. - ....
>> ...Built in Belgium apparently....
>>
>> In Ghent, by the look of it:
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=opQtVj12i3s
>>
Not a bad thing by my five years worth of experience of a seven year old car. My S60 appears to be just as well made as the V70 sister which is put together in Sweden.
Supporting European workers when keeping UK workers in employment is out of scope. At least the money stays near-shore rather than £££££'s being sent to the far east which some seem happy to do.
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
Nailed the deal today, getting it Saturday.
The Volvo? Oh well, at least some suitable matching cardigans will be cheap in the sales...

Hope it works for you. Nice car.

Here you go PU. Order now it should arrive by the weekend....

www.christianbits.co.uk/product.php?id=CACS07
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
It already has one scratched on the bonnet.
 Best petrol buy. - corax
>> The Volvo? Oh well, at least some suitable matching cardigans will be cheap in the
>> sales...

Err.. you owned a Volvo in the dim and distant past, 850 as I recall. If you can get past all the shoes, you'll probably find those mothballed cardigans somewhere at the back of the wardrobe...

Had a 940 estate too as it happens. Great car until you needed to change direction. Useful though. Very useful.
 Best petrol buy. - corax
>> Nailed the deal today, getting it Saturday.

I look forward to an in-depth report.
 Best petrol buy. - R.P.
We dawdled a bit, mainly over getting a cheaper 1.6 ecocrap thing, but being a true petrol head (well diesel) she stood out for the 177 bhp version.
Latest Forum Posts