Motoring Discussion > Always illuminated dials - why? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 42

Always illuminated dials - why? - movilogo
Some of today's cars have their dashboards illuminated always. Why this is required? If driver can't see dials, it indicates that he should switch on the dashboard lights which it turn automatically switches on parking lights.

If dials are continuously illuminated, then people will forget to switch on lights.

I have seen it does happen.

Always illuminated dials - why? - R.P.
One of my pet hates in the CRV I had. Auto lights resolve a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Londoner
If auto lights make even just one idiot believe that they don't need to turn their rear fog lights on all the time, then they are worth it.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Iffy
Most dials are well-shaded to avoid glare in sunshine.

I reckon they are always lit to make them easy to read in normal daylight.

Always illuminated dials - why? - PeterS
The ones in the Audi are illuminated during daylight but, if it gets too gloomy outside they dim and eventually go out altogether to address exactly the problem the OP highlighted by prompting you to switch the lights on.

Interestingly the auto lights must use a different sensor though, since on the whole they come on earlier than the the dash light go out when the auto lights are not activated, if that makes sense...

IIRC they've worked like that in every Audi I've had since the first A4 ('96)

Peter
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Slidingpillar
None of the instrument in my vintage car are illuminated. I manage!
...in my vintage car...

You've mentioned that car a few times - what is it?

Darn sure I've said before - a Morgan Super Sports Aero.

'Car' is a term perhaps used advisedly, as although now a 'historic vehicle' for the purposes of tax, it is a class B1 vehicle on a driving licence as a lightweight three wheeler. (Prior to 1997, a bike test pass got you this).
...a Morgan Super Sports Aero...

Is that the one you lean out as you are going along to oil the exposed pushrods?

That's a myth, no human has long enough arms!

Pushrod ends, valve stems and rocker gear are all exposed and they are oiled when I stop. Due to the draft, the driver and passenger then get lightly oiled, and so far, I've not gone rusty...
What do you reckon to the modern version ?
Not driven one. Those that have seem to like them. I'd be tempted, but I think my garage is not wide enough, the new 'un is very wide.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Fursty Ferret
>> The ones in the Audi are illuminated during daylight but, if it gets too gloomy
>> outside they dim and eventually go out altogether to address exactly the problem the OP
>> highlighted by prompting you to switch the lights on.
>>
>>

Genius!
 Always illuminated dials - why? - TeeCee
>> If auto lights make even just one idiot believe that they don't need to turn
>> their rear fog lights on all the time, then they are worth it.
>>

Trouble is, that cuts both ways. Quite a few times recently I have been travelling in thickish *low* mist in the morning. That gives low visibility fore and aft, but a bright sky which keeps the light sensor happy.

The "my lights are automatic, I don't touch nuffin" idiots seem quite happy to cruise around in their cloak of invisibility with no lights on. Dumbest are the DRL merchants, with their false sense of security. Unfortunately, while they are perfectly visible from the front[1], they materialise like icebergs from the mist when approached from behind.

[1] Actually *too* visible. With the headlamps off, the DRLs are undimmed. One look in the mirror after passing such and it's spots before the eyes for the next few miles.
I'll switch the lights to full auto today - i.e. full DRL mode - no garish LED blocks just old fashioned headlamps.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Runfer D'Hills
>> no garish LED blocks

Oi !

:-)
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Bromptonaut
The old BX, a late model with conventional instruments, had this feature. Certainly made everything easier to read, particularly if wearing sunglasses. Never bamboozled me over whether lights were on. There was an additional green pilot light on the dash that came on with sides but I always use dips if I need lights at all.

Changing to a Xantia it actually took a while to get used to unlit panel, particulary trying to read the km/h numbers on the continent.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - mikeyb
Illuminated on the C5 all the time, but the lights on are indicated on the dash as well.

Also has a night function where you can turn of most of the dash lighting except the spedo. Not used it as I dont find it distracting
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Mike Hannon
>>You've mentioned that car a few times - what is it?<<

I guess the clue is in his name...
...I guess the clue is in his name...

It might be if I knew what a sliding pillar is, or was.

Always illuminated dials - why? - Zero
well he could own a Morgan Three wheeler, or then again he could just own the suspension part it got its name from.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - bathtub tom
I used to drive a Peugeot Partner van. I tended to drive around with the sidelights on as that illuminated the dials, you couldn't see them otherwise.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Ted

The Vitara dials are not easy to see, especially with polaroids. It doesn't help that the needles are red on a black background.

Sorted it by getting the front off the instrument pod and Tippexing the needles white.......why couldn't they be white in the first place ? Designers...Pah !

Will tackle the bike before next summer, that has the same setup.

Like SP's Moggie...the Jowett's instruments are invisible at night....you have to play by ear !

Ted
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Armel Coussine
Vintage Lancias and OMs had sliding pillar front suspension too. And all Morgans did until I think the V8... perhaps even that has it but I don't think so.

Baby-blue Aero Morgan in The Party, Peter Sellers playing (not all that well) an Indian chap in Hollywood...
The BMW (Bike) has the instrument lighting on permanently (lights are hardwired but can be switched off through a software tweak) these are self dimming/brightening depending on ambient light. The absolute paragon of clarity of white needle on a black background. Boringly backlit in red works perfectly. The X1 is as clear as a bell as well. BMWs always were/are.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - -
I can't abide different colours, give me good old white and black every time, illuminated or not...if it ain't broke etc.

The MAN trucks i drive have everything backlit in red, worse than useless, if i want to find a particular switch at night it's don glasses and get me torch out (few eyes-like-a-bat 16 year olds drive them at night but they were presumably designed for such), whereas the Scanias are an example of perfect clarity and clear switch lighting, and good switch placement.

Always illuminated dials - why? - Harleyman

(few eyes-like-a-bat 16 year olds drive them at night but they were presumably designed
>> for such)

50-something-year-olds have EYES like a bat , GB! ;-)

But I knew what you meant!

Back to the subject; Citroen were indeed one of the pioneers with the BX, but it's no damn use having an idiot light on the dash to indicate that your lights are on if, like presumably over half of drivers these days, you haven't RTFM to find out what said light is for!
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Londoner
>> I can't abide different colours, give me good old white and black every time, illuminated
>> or not...if it ain't broke etc.
+1
The most unappealing lighting is/was the yellow that Toyota used.
Next worse is orange, as used on some french cars and BMs.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Fursty Ferret
>> I can't abide different colours, give me good old white and black every time, illuminated
>> or not...if it ain't broke etc.
>>
>> The MAN trucks i drive have everything backlit in red, worse than useless, if i
>> want to find a particular switch at night it's don glasses and get me torch
>> out (few eyes-like-a-bat 16 year olds drive them at night but they were presumably designed
>> for such), whereas the Scanias are an example of perfect clarity and clear switch lighting,
>> and good switch placement.
>>
>>
>>

Depends on your eyes, I think - few people have absolutely perfect focus. I have 20/20 but at night anything in blue is slightly blurry compared to red, which is pin sharp. My dad is the other way round.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - VxFan
>> If dials are continuously illuminated, then people will forget to switch on lights.

My dials are on all the time when the engine is running, but I've got a separate light in the speedo housing that tells me whether my lights are on or not.
As I said Auto Lights are the solution - probably the best frivolous invention ever, knocks auto wipers and electronic indicator stalks into a cocked hat !
 Always illuminated dials - why? - VxFan
>> As I said Auto Lights are the solution

I switched mine off as I got fed up with the lights coming on and off when getting the car out the garage or putting it away and didn't want to shorten the life of my HIDs.

Also I found them dangerous on my way to work. As I exit an avenue of trees the sensor decides to switch the lights on, and then immediately switches them off again. Meanwhile the person waiting at the T junction near to these trees thinks that I've flashed him out onto the main road and pulls straight out in front of me.

Good job the brake assist works well on my car.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - rtj70
I checked the Passat CC - when the lights are off the dials are not illuminated (the needles are). When the lights are on the dials illuminate.

I tend to leave them on auto. With the DLR on too (although I can turn them off if I wanted to). I might swap the bulbs used. Seen some LED ones in someone else's and they seem more worthwhile.

I still like how my lights come on, although only noticeable when dark, because they have to calibrate. So they go up/down like most xenons. But also left and right. Well I like it. Also find the static cornering lights good too. And the subtle way the lights move left/right when driving has got me realising how glad I am that I got the adaptive xenons.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Ted

Son's 2000 Astra Sport has white dials with black needles and numbers.
Brilliant...you don't not need no lights to see them.

Ted
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Dave_
As always at this time of year I've seen no end of motorists who can't figure out which lights to use when. Tonight in a slight mist (visibilty ~1km) on the M1 I was following a capably driven VW Bora at a safe distance at, ahem, a fast cruise, when inexplicably the driver put their rear fogs on. About 1 in 10 vehicles were using theirs, including lorries, coaches and a recovery truck - drivers who really should know better.

At around 9.00 yesterday morning in town in rather thick fog, I saw about 1 in 5 cars with no lights on at all, including a police car.

I've noticed a disproportionate number of cars with no lights on in the dark in Leicester lately - a lot of Japanese cars there, are they set up with illuminated dials all the time?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sun 20 Nov 11 at 21:37
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Runfer D'Hills
I blame auto lights. Like auto wipers, sometimes they come on when not needed and don't when they are. Makes for lazy drivers in my humble.
>> I blame auto lights. Like auto wipers, sometimes they come on when not needed and don't when they are

They're handy for loading an unfamiliar car onto a transporter, in front of the client, in the dark though ;)
Hondas ?
>> Hondas ?

Yes, by and large.
Proves what I thought with the CRV, dead easy in town lighting to drive off with the lights off. Did it a couple of times.
 Always illuminated dials - why? - rtj70
On the Passat you could drive it with the lights on all the time. They won't stay on with the ignition off like all VWs. Parking lights rely on the parking signal. So for the first time in ages I have a car again without a buzzer for leaving lights on. Except they won't be on I suppose.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 20 Nov 11 at 22:14
 Always illuminated dials - why? - Bromptonaut
>> Tonight in a slight mist (visibilty ~1km) on
>> the M1 I was following a capably driven VW Bora at a safe distance at,
>> ahem, a fast cruise, when inexplicably the driver put their rear fogs on. About 1
>> in 10 vehicles were using theirs, including lorries, coaches and a recovery truck - >>drivers who really should know better.

Same place and observation. Northampton to Sheffield and return this aft. Miss B drove up in daylight and I was in the hot seat returning around 16:30.

Certainly misty but although the stuff swirled around lights and generally tried to look like fog visbilty never fell below 500m neve mind the 100m min for rear fogs but plenty of dazzle from those who thought any vapour scatter justified them.

>> Same place and observation

Apologies B if I got in your way going southbound around 1800ish at j26-j23a - I'd just reset the trip computer and was trying to set a good mpg figure to start the week.

I certainly wouldn't have got in your way going northbound half an hour earlier - up in three figures on the four-lane stretch ;) which made the Bora's sudden foglights all the more annoying.
Latest Forum Posts